• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The electric coil changed my life on the Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pasta - by boling the water, removing the coil, putting the spaghetti in (broken in half so it would fit), putting a tight lid on the bowl (we've been using the same plastic bowl since 2004) and wrapping the whole thing in a sleeping bag to maintain the temperature. After half an hour the consistency was perfect.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Other than a smartphone of all the possible gadgets that one might consider carrying on the camino the most useful for me is an immersion water heating coil.

I first saw this in 2005 in the old Valcarlos albergue which had no kitchen. Late one rainy chilly autumn afternoon an older French bicyclist arrived. Discussing our philosophies and dreams he and I talked for a long time during the evening over several hot cups of tea which he happily prepared using his trusty coil.

For my next Camino I found one. Across the years mine became invaluable. Not only for early breakfasts but for hot tea or cups of soup in cold winter albergues where there was neither heat nor propane in the kitchen.

Last edited:
Has anyone of you tried creative things with your coil? Like boiling pasta or rice, for example?
Old question, but I see that you're using your coil. I used it on several occasions to heat some canned lentil stew. I added just a little water to make it more soupy, but it worked fine. The coil got dirty, but once it cooled off, I just rinsed it off.

Mine has a little clip on the side to hang on to the side of your pot or whatever container you use to heat in. I never tried to boil any pasta, but I may try this at home in case it ruins the coil. But why couldn't you just put it in a pot with water and pasta?
I'll report back!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you tried this in North America, it would take ages, with our lower voltage.
Seems odd.?. Back in New Zealand I kept a 12 volt coil in the glove box of my car, it used to heat a cup of water in about four to five minutes.
EDIT : sorry, just reread your post and saw that you were talking about 3 litres....

Seems odd.?. Back in New Zealand I kept a 12 volt coil in the glove box of my car, it used to heat a cup of water in about four to five minutes.
My consultant electrical designer tells me that a 12 volt coil would be designed with different resistance so it can do its job. But you can't plug that into 120V or 240V!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But neither can you plug something designed for 120v into a 240v circuit. Well, not more than once....
Correct. The typical heating coils that I have seen are designed for 120-240V.
(I was thinking more of the question of why a 12V one would work at all, when mine is noticeably slower on 120 than on 240.)

Correct. The typical heating coils that I have seen are designed for 120-240V.
(I was thinking more of the question of why a 12V one would work at all, when mine is noticeably slower on 120 than on 240.)
Interesting. Do you need to physically switch it over, or does it simply work on both?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It works on both. One just needs the simple plug adaptor.
Curious. According to the internet, it’s no wonder it takes a whole lot longer
‘If a 220V appliance is plugged into 110V then the power drawn will be 1/4th of the intended amount and in general it won't work well if at all.’
Not saying it would damage it - there are no motor’s or other moving parts that could be affected, just that it doesn’t seem very efficient.
Of course, if it was designed for 110 and you plugged it into 240, life would- briefly - get interesting 🧐

Last edited:
About two years ago we bought a cheap rather light stainless steel pouring pot designed for about 2 euros in the Chinese store close to the route out of Sarria (not long after after crossing the rio). It weights 6.6 ozs and holds a little more than 750 ml of water. We fill the pot up almost to the top so the coil is well covered. We now buy a small supply of paper cups, as needed, and use them for drinking the tea we make. The heating coil works like a charm and we only need one tea bag to make two + cups. Making in the metal cups works fine too, but by the time the metal is cool enough for my lips to drink from it, our tea is cooler than we want to drink it. (Yes, I do I know there is piece one can put on the cup to protect one’s lips).

We have made instant mashed potatoes, rice and boullion. We made soft boiled eggs for supper (requires us to reboil the water ) put a lid over the pot and wrap a towel around the pot to keep the heat in. Repeat the process after 5 minutes. We only do this at night because we want to get an early start in the morning. Also, if you have eggs and they are cold (in off-season) and your have a radiator available in your room (with heat) put the eggs in hot water from the tap, and put them on radiator to get the eggs warm before you put them into boiling water. They will cook faster!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.