• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino The massacre of a dear resting place.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes.

It is now completely demolished: someone has used chain saws to ruin it completely. The remains are now lying to rot.

Not able to attach a photo now.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes.

It is now completely demolished: someone has used chain saws to ruin it completely. The remains are now lying to rot.

Oh no! 😡

So sad. This was a fun and quirky place to stop, eat a few trail snacks, rest and take a few pics. How destructive and mean spirited to rob pilgrims of a fun rest stop! Bob

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yep, I've seen it too...

There was still a guy with cold drinks (donation based) who also displayed some artwork a bit before the former rest stop.

I was wondering what the reasons might be behind the destruction?

Does anyone know?

I remember it well - a quirky little rest stop in the woods. Who would destroy a thing like that? I hope someone restores it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Not able to attach a photo
Nearby there is a memorial for victims of the Spanish Civil War: 300 people were buried there in a mass grave. Perhaps there is a connection? Monumento la Pedraja, gps 42,3738535, -3,3409197

Last edited:
Nearby there is a memorial for victims of the Spanish Civil War: 300 people were buried there in a mass grave. Perhaps there is a connection? Monumento la Pedraja, gps 42,3738535, -3,3409197
I believe there is a different connection, according to some Spanish people I talked to: tourism pilgrims.

oh no, that is so sad.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The memorial to the victims is probably 1/2km still climbing up the hill before you would get to the rest area (which is at the top of the hill). I am sure there's no connection...
But what a shame! The guy running the stand lifted my spirits up when I did not have a good day. I did post about the encounter probably a year ago.. he asked me where I was from and when I said Pennsylvania he called me Dracula 🤣
My friend is on Camino jow and I suggested to her to stop and take a restvthere and tell him Hola! I guess that won't happen 🥲

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have no information on if it is connected to the memorial or not.

There is still a lot of feelings on both sides relating to what happened during the civil war. I often post reviews on Google Maps and several civil war memorials in Spain have regularly been deleted and reinstated on a number of occasions.

I do not know why people choose to do this except that they obviously feel very strongly about it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

It was never an official rest stop. Just one of many makeshift rest areas, like the GardZen or the rock piles you pass in the (first week?). People will build a new oasis. They can't destroy the Camino spirit.

I do not have an answer as to the why but I do have a speculation. As a place that encourages a break it also encourages a bathroom break. I can imagine a property owner growing weary of the toilet paper and human feces that has become so common just off the trail throughout the journey. I can understand a landowner wanting people to just "move along."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My mom and I walked through the ‘massacre’ last month and were wondering what could have happened there. It definitely was done with malice and the perpetrators put a lot of time and energy into its destruction.

I remember walking through the wood and enjoyed the peace and quiet until I came across the quirky rest stop with music. I walked straight on as it seemed quite incongruous in this setting. What may seem appealing to a pilgrim/tourist visiting once and moving on, may be viewed quite differently by the local community and other regular visitors imo.

People asking why but mindless destruction has no explanation. Here in the UK there is a popular hike along Hadrian's wall. Along the way is a place called Sycamore gap which is one of the most photographed trees in the world, it featured in Prince of thieves with Kevin Costner. Last year someone decided to cut the tree down overnight just as an act of vandalism.SG3.jpgSG2.jpgSycamore_Gap_Tree_arbre.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We enjoyed a welcome sit and had a snack and drink, (from our backpacks) in early March at the Oasis. All was intact and quiet then. On the fringes of the forest there were workmen clearing overgrowth and some damaged trees following winter storms. They were friendly, helpful in telling us we didn’t need to follow the detour sign, and wished us ‘Buen Camino’.

Sí, yo también lo he visto...

Todavía había un tipo con bebidas frías (basado en donaciones) que también mostró algunas obras de arte un poco antes de la antigua parada de descanso.

Me preguntaba cuáles podrían ser las razones detrás de la destrucción.

¿Alguien sabe?
Hola
la razón de por qué está destrozado lo has desvelado tu.
Un hombre con cuadros de charlatanería barata..cuenta tantos cuentos que no se los cree ni él.
Lo conocemos en la zona y ha sido él.
Es capaz de ello lo conozco muy bien estuvo en el oasis, a mi también me engaño pero cuando me di cuenta de su mal comportamiento, sus mentiras y su poco respeto por los demás que a la prueba están.
Le invite a que dejara de ir al oasis y fue cuando empezó a borrar las pinturas tirar las mesas ect.
Lo volvi a levantar todas las veces que lo tiro.
este año cuando volvi lo había hecho leña. Demostró ser lo que es muy mala persona, desagradecida.. No tiene nombre.

En fin, el oasis vamos a intentar levantarlo, pero mientras este él, no podemos, porque volverá a destrozarlo.
Espero haber aclarado este tema ya que hay toda clase de respuestas a lo ocurrido y nadie se ha puesto a pensar que el máximo interesado en reventar el oasis era él.
Él motivo esta más que claro todavía tiene la cara de ponerse delante.
Un saludo a todos mis peregrinos y muchas gracias por preocuparse por este lugar tan querido por mi, ya que fui yo quien lo monto junto con mi gran amigo él difunto "Corzo". Que en paz descanse.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola
la razón de por qué está destrozado lo has desvelado tu.
Un hombre con cuadros de charlatanería barata..cuenta tantos cuentos que no se los cree ni él.
Lo conocemos en la zona y ha sido él.
Es capaz de ello lo conozco muy bien estuvo en el oasis, a mi también me engaño pero cuando me di cuenta de su mal comportamiento, sus mentiras y su poco respeto por los demás que a la prueba están.
Le invite a que dejara de ir al oasis y fue cuando empezó a borrar las pinturas tirar las mesas ect.
Lo volvi a levantar todas las veces que lo tiro.
este año cuando volvi lo había hecho leña. Demostró ser lo que es muy mala persona, desagradecida.. No tiene nombre.

En fin, el oasis vamos a intentar levantarlo, pero mientras este él, no podemos, porque volverá a destrozarlo.
Espero haber aclarado este tema ya que hay toda clase de respuestas a lo ocurrido y nadie se ha puesto a pensar que el máximo interesado en reventar el oasis era él.
Él motivo esta más que claro todavía tiene la cara de ponerse delante.
Un saludo a todos mis peregrinos y muchas gracias por preocuparse por este lugar tan querido por mi, ya que fui yo quien lo monto junto con mi gran amigo él difunto "Corzo". Que en paz descanse.
Aneleraz, buenas 🙋🏽‍♂️…entonces, por lo que Ud. dice, ese tipo sí, es un prepotente charlatán, hablador, mitotero, que destruyó ese lugar tan querido por muchos peregrinos. ¿Él es dueño de terrenos por ahí o qué show? ¿Ese güey tiene palancas con los autoridades, y es por eso que él cree que puede hacer lo que le dé la gana? Si es cierto, ¡Qué poca ma_ _ _ ! Suerte con ese asunto, y mucho cuidado 👀

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back