• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Perfect (almost) Backpack?

JJinWI

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 French Way
2022 French Way
Greetings,

I have done the Camino twice (French Way) and used my trusty Osprey Exos 48. It has served me well.

I'm doing the French Way again in a few weeks, and I have decided to go ultra-lightweight and found a great new pack that doesn't get any buzz on this forum.

Now, don't get me wrong, my trusty Osprey Exos 48 has been a reliable partner, no doubt. But this Rab Aeon Ultra 28L? It blows the competition away when it comes to shedding those extra ounces/grams.

1684525586106.png1684525732874.png

MORE details here: LINKY

The Rab Aeon Ultra 28L weighs just 25 ounces (710g)! Here is a quick comparison:
Osprey Exos 48LRab Aeon Ultra 28L
Capacity48 Liters28 Liters
Weight (oz/grams)46/131525/710
Dimensions (inches/cm)31.5H x 14.17W x 11.8D
80H x 36W x 30D
21.3H x 13.4 W x 12.2D
54H x 34W x 31D

I have done about 10 practice hikes with the Rab (up to 15 miles/25km), and here are my observations:
  • POSITIVES:
    • Really lightweight!
    • Decent hip belt (given the weight of the pack)
    • I love all the pockets on the shoulder straps (4 total) Very handy for phones, small cameras, snacks...
    • There are 2 nice hip-belt pockets that are stretchy and functional
    • Very large and very functional side water bottle pockets that are actually easy to use and reach!
    • A very large and stretchy outside back pocket (great for raingear, food...)
    • Very good comfort with 17 pounds/7.7kg (which is my dry pack weight)
    • Waterproof (and all the seams have been taped)
    • Meets carry-on regulation size, so I will not need to check my backpack! NOTE: My pack fully loaded is just under 9" deep/22.9cm, so it meets the regulations.
  • NEGATIVES:
    • It is only 28 liters. It's tight, but I can get all my stuff in the pack.
    • Durability? It is made from lightweight materials, but I think it should hold up.
    • Ventilation is not as good as my Osprey (who have the best), but still very good.
    • Not as comfortable as my Osprey, but still very good.
Rab is based in the UK, and very few stores in the US have Rab packs. I think they are more available in Europe.

Might want to check out the pack for your next Camino.

I will do a full report when I return.

Hope you find this helpful!!!!

Cheers,

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Greetings,

I have done the Camino twice (French Way) and used my trusty Osprey Exos 48. It has served me well.

I'm doing the French Way again in a few weeks, and I have decided to go ultra-lightweight and found a great new pack that doesn't get any buzz on this forum.

Now, don't get me wrong, my trusty Osprey Exos 48 has been a reliable partner, no doubt. But this Rab Aeon Ultra 28L? It blows the competition away when it comes to shedding those extra ounces/grams.

View attachment 147359View attachment 147360

The Rab Aeon Ultra 28L weighs just 25 ounces (710g)! Here is a quick comparison:
80H x 36W x 30D
21.3H x 13.4 W x 12.2D
54H x 34W x 31D

I have done about 10 practice hikes with the Rab (up to 15 miles/25km), and here are my observations:
  • POSITIVES:
    • Really lightweight!
    • I love all the pockets on the shoulder straps (4 total) Very handy for phones, small cameras, snacks...
    • Very large and very functional side water bottle pockets that are actually easy to use and reach!
    • Meets carry-on regulation size, so I will not need to check my backpack! NOTE: My pack fully loaded is just under 9" deep/22.9cm, so it meets the regulations.
  • NEGATIVES:
    • Durability? It is made from lightweight materials, but I think it should hold up.
    • Ventilation is not as good as my Osprey (who have the best), but still very good.
Rab is based in the UK, and very few stores in the US have Rab packs. I think they are more available in Europe.

Cheers,
Last Sep/Oct I walked the CF with a Gossamer Gear G4-20 42L Ultralight Pack and would recommend it. Using all ultralight gear my daily pack weight including water was 7.5kg

I think there are 2 different kinds of backpack:
- The true reliable, strong backpacks, which weigh more than 1 kilo empty
- The light, more fragile backpacks, which weigh as less as 700 or 800 g. These ones offer often less than 40L capacity.
For the camino, if you sleep in albergues, I think the second one are preferable because you have not to deal with a tent, a warm sleeping bag, a camping stove.
However for self-guided raids, sleeping in the woods, you have to choose the first category.
I use the Wilsa 38L for the Camino: I chose it because it is light, and I have no need to carry a tent or kilos of food.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's great that you think this is (almost) perfect, or have a skill in writing headlines, but I'm not inclined to think this would be on my list of packs to consider anytime soon.

I have used lightweight packs from other makers, and always found them highly compromised. In particular, they remove so much padding from the harness that their comfortable load carrying limits are significantly reduced compared to more traditional designs of similar volumes. Those that I have used were all single compartment designs, although most had a lid. I find single compartment designs less easy to use in albergues, where you want to pack items like a sleeping bag in the bottom of the pack, so packing cannot be even be started until the morning. Two compartment designs generally allow one compartment to be completely packed in the evening, and only those items used during the night can then be packed into the other compartment in the morning.

More, RAB don't seem to make this in a size that would suit me. You already note that you think it will be a squeeze to get everything you need into this pack. My preference is not to have a pack so full that it is difficult to get access to the contents during the day. Certainly sensible loading will ensure that most items one needs during the day are close to the top, but not everything can be, and I would rather not have to unload too much to get at something if it is possible to pack less densely and be able to reach around inside the pack when one needs to.

There are plenty of good packs out there that don't "get any buzz on this forum". I actually think that's a good thing. Promoting particular products, as you have done here, runs the risk of being seen as trying to influence members towards a particular solution. Perhaps your views on this will be more valuable once you have used it on the camino and have a better appreciation of how well it actually performs in that environment.

Last edited:
Promoting particular products, as you have done here, runs the risk of being seen as trying to influence members towards a particular solution
I don't see it that way at all. Posting about any piece of equipment may bring awareness of a brand or style that is unknown to some members which may end up being their perfect backpack, shoes, etc.

For me, I dislike feeling like I have to do a puzzle each morning to pack up my gear, and I like to have a bit of extra room so that I can carry some fruit or a sandwich for the day, so 28 liters would be too small for my needs, but maybe perfect for someone else.

I have used lightweight packs from other makers, and always found them highly compromised. In particular, they remove so much padding from the harness that their comfortable load carrying limits are significantly reduced compared to more traditional designs of similar volumes.
This is what I found out as well. I recently bought an Osprey Kyte 36, which is a bigger, heavier pack than I had before. But it fits so well on my back and it is so much more comfortable to carry that I actually don't notice the extra weight.

Last edited:
Yes, picking a Camino backpack (like much of life :) ) is full of comprises.

Balancing weight vs comfort vs size vs cost vs...

My first 2 Caminos (with my Osprey & blogging equipment) weighed a lot.

So, I thought it would be fun/interesting to try an ultra-lightweight approach to this Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It looks like a decent pack, but not even half my gear would fit into that thing.

We all have different needs. That might be the "perfect" backpack for some ultralight enthusiasts or people who don't need a sleeping bag because they stay in private rooms, or who use it as a daypack only - while for others it's too small, doesn't fit them well, is too expensive, ect. ect.

Some pilgrims prefer ultralight gear, while others don't, for whatever reason (price, durability...). Some prefer small packs, some bigger ones, also for many different reasons.

Some brands or models simply don't have the right fit for some people, as much as you might like the pack. Good fit is most important, though. A bad fitting light pack is much more uncomfortable to wear than a good fitting bigger, heavier pack.

I don't think there is "the" perfect camino backpack/sleeping bag/ liner/ towel/ shoes/ ect. ect., only what is maybe more or less perfect for one's own needs on the given route during the given season.

Still, nothing wrong with sharing experience about certain gear. It can be helpful for others to decide what might work for them and what might not :)

UPDATE: Space Issue --> Problem Solved!!!

In my previous message, I mentioned that fitting everything into my 28L pack was a bit challenging. However, I'm happy to say that I managed to solve the problem and even have some room to spare!

I utilized the "Ranger Roll" technique to fold and repack my clothes, and the results were astounding. I was amazed at how much space I was able to recover using this method. It seems like I gained an additional 10-15% of space! Now, I'm no longer worried about fitting everything in.

To be honest, I have seen/known about the Ranger Roll method for years, but was skeptical that it really saved space... boy was I wrong! (YMMV)

For those interested, I found a helpful video demonstrating the Ranger Roll technique:

Cheers,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last Sep/Oct I walked the CF with a Gossamer Gear G4-20 42L Ultralight Pack and would recommend it. Using all ultralight gear my daily pack weight including water was 7.5kg
This was also on my shortlist. How did it hold up for you???

No mention made of how much these packs cost.
For a few of us, the price tag is a big consideration, and it usually eliminates the ultralite option from the start.
I got mine off of FleeBay for $130 (new)

In my previous message, I mentioned that fitting everything into my 28L pack was a bit challenging. However, I'm happy to say that I managed to solve the problem and even have some room to spare!

I utilized the "Ranger Roll" technique to fold and repack my clothes, and the results were astounding. I was amazed at how much space I was able to recover using this method. It seems like I gained an additional 10-15% of space! Now, I'm no longer worried about fitting everything in.

To be honest, I have seen/known about the Ranger Roll method for years, but was skeptical that it really saved space... boy was I wrong! (YMMV
Seems like way too much work to me, but I am pretty lazy by nature. 😂

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Promoting particular products, as you have done here, runs the risk of being seen as trying to influence members towards a particular solution. Perhaps your views on this will be more valuable once you have used it on the camino and have a better appreciation of how well it actually performs in that environment.
Any two compartment packs you can suggest? I’ve used my Osprey Exos 48 for 2,400 miles amd love it. The single compartment is my only complaint. My Osprey will need replacement in the not too distant future. I don’t like the current version and so would appreciate any suggestions. I promise not to take them as promoting a particular product! Thanks.

Greetings,

80H x 36W x 30D
21.3H x 13.4 W x 12.2D
54H x 34W x 31D

• POSITIVES:
    • Really lightweight!
  • NEGATIVES:

Cheers,
Hi, are you working for this company?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
the Rab looks like a nice pack. It’s wonderful to have another carryon legal pack with a hip belt that does load transfer than weights under 2lb. Love to hear how it works for you.

I will second the gossamer gear g4 / gorilla / kimo for people wanting more volume with loads less than 25lb. I wouldn’t worry about durability. My Gorilla has several thousand miles of back country backpacking and is still in good shape. I know people who have nearly 10k miles on their gossamer gear packs and other companies than use robic fabric.

My wife and I are on the Frances route right now. We trimmed down enough that we don’t need a hip strap for load transfer. She is at 6lb/13L, I am at 7lb/14l. She will likely switch backpacks for our next trip. I am using and loving the gossamer vagabond. It has been just about perfect!

Only downside is regularly having to say “yes that’s all we have. No, our bags are not being transferred”.

Any two compartment packs you can suggest? I’ve used my Osprey Exos 48 for 2,400 miles amd love it. The single compartment is my only complaint. My Osprey will need replacement in the not too distant future. I don’t like the current version and so would appreciate any suggestions. I promise not to take them as promoting a particular product! Thanks.
I have used two compartment packs from Osprey, Deuter and Kathmandu on different pilgrimage routes. My favourite camino pack is a now quite old Deuter Guide 45+. It is a bit heavy by modern standards for a straightforward hiking pack, and if I were in the market for something around that size again, I wouldn't be looking for features like rope holders and other attachment straps and clips which are not always useful on the Camino. The stripped down Osprey packs, designated LT, look like good options to consider.

That being said, this year I walked with my wife's Aarn Natural Exhilaration. This has a single main bag of about 37 li, a lid pouch and two front balance pockets of about 6 li each. This overcomes some of the limitations of a single main compartment by making more of the load readily accessible in the balance pockets, but still needed to be packed from scratch in the morning. I don't think it is as durable as Deuter, and the more robust Osprey packs, and I had to do some running repairs when my wife walked the CF with it, and again this year.

I have used two compartment packs from Osprey, Deuter and Kathmandu on different pilgrimage routes. My favourite camino pack is a now quite old Deuter Guide 45+. It is a bit heavy by modern standards for a straightforward hiking pack, and if I were in the market for something around that size again, I wouldn't be looking for features like rope holders and other attachment straps and clips which are not always useful on the Camino. The stripped down Osprey packs, designated LT, look like good options to consider.

That being said, this year I walked with my wife's Aarn Natural Exhilaration. This has a single main bag of about 37 li, a lid pouch and two front balance pockets of about 6 li each. This overcomes some of the limitations of a single main compartment by making more of the load readily accessible in the balance pockets, but still needed to be packed from scratch in the morning. I don't think it is as durable as Deuter, and the more robust Osprey packs, and I had to do some running repairs when my wife walked the CF with it, and again this year.
Thanks, Dougfitz. I’ll check out some of the other Ospreys. I’ve really liked my Exos but the current model has no belt or strap pockets like my older one. I’d miss them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am currently on the camino Frances and am carrying an Atmos 50 by Osprey. It was the only pack which fit my long torso and it rides extremely well. Its heavy at almost 4 pounds, but I only carry a load of 11 pounds in it. The first thing you should always consider is proper sizing. And trust me, the folks at REI wont always have the right pack for you, so you need to do your own homework. Get a pack that fits first and formost, then pack it to the lightest weight you want. Remember also that water weighs 1 kg per litre. Starting out by buying the lightest, techy-est backpack is the wrong way to start. Get comfortable, pack with discipline. Your body will thank you.
Buen camino.
I used an Atmos 50 on my Caminos! I loved the pack for the comfort and having room where I didn’t have to compress everything or jigsaw puzzle the pieces inside. And the extra room was awesome on grocery days. I also did a winter Camiño so needed extra room for down jacket and heavier sleeping bag.

I’ve just returned home and I’m already planning my next Camiño. I looked at other pilgrims jealously with their 30L packs and I’m researching lighter options. Just between my sleeping bag and empty pack weight I could easily shave 4 pounds. Which sounds very appealing…. But my next Camiño will be another winter one so I’m not sure it will be worth it to lose the four pounds and lose the comfort, security and ease of use I have?

I need to think on this

Seems like way too much work to me, but I am pretty lazy by nature. 😂
Over 3 minutes to roll a tee-shirt is crazy, but I suppose it was a demo. I have just checked my times. A long sleeved knit shirt took 27 secs, a long sleeved trekking shirt took 42 secs. I expect anyone doing this everyday will get much better times than that.

IMHO: The whole Camino gear thing is one giant trade off of weight, fit/comfort, convenience, ease of use, durability, price, and the all too often forgotten, but ever present and final deciding vote: personal preference. There is no such thing as the “perfect“ anything. It’s all a matter of what works for you.

That said, it’s nice to have a discussion topic about one of the most important considerations when planning a Camino: how to carry your gear selection for the next 4–6 weeks!

I’m finishing my second Camino right now with an Osprey 36 L. It has served me well but, as we all know, Ospreys are heavy. I’m already thinking about a new pack for my next trek. But because ultra lights are usually made by small niche companies, their brand awareness is often low, and the resulting distribution tends to be very regional or geographic. This makes it difficult to do any brand / features comparison as well as find sourcing information.

It would help if a list of ultralight packs existed to share with one another (with technical specs), with either websites or manufacturers contact info. Hhmmm….

Thanks to all for sharing the information that you have about ultralights. I hope more members will read these posts and contribute any information they have as well about ultralight packs and products.

I like the Ranger Roll system but I can't imagine doing that everyday for each item on Camino. I do use a roll technique when packing into packing cubes for my backpack. Recently managed to get 7 outfits in cubes in my 35 liter Osprey Camino backpack for an Amazon cruise. Will use that technique again for an Alaska overland trip later this summer with the same backpack. Rolling clothing really does save space.

Greetings,

80H x 36W x 30D
21.3H x 13.4 W x 12.2D
54H x 34W x 31D

• POSITIVES:
    • Really lightweight!
  • NEGATIVES:

Cheers,
Not to be nit-picky here, but why would you compare a 48 L pack with a 28 L pack? That’s kind of apples and oranges. Osprey makes seven 28 L optics - why not compare that to the ultralight?
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...u-6xroT_AhVgVKQEHSrrDrYQwg8oAHoECAEQDA&adurl=
https://www.google.com/search?q=osprey%2028%20litre%20backpack&tbm=

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
the Rab looks like a nice pack. It’s wonderful to have another carryon legal pack with a hip belt that does load transfer than weights under 2lb. Love to hear how it works for you.

I will second the gossamer gear g4 / gorilla / kimo for people wanting more volume with loads less than 25lb. I wouldn’t worry about durability. My Gorilla has several thousand miles of back country backpacking and is still in good shape. I know people who have nearly 10k miles on their gossamer gear packs and other companies than use robic fabric.

My wife and I are on the Frances route right now. We trimmed down enough that we don’t need a hip strap for load transfer. She is at 6lb/13L, I am at 7lb/14l. She will likely switch backpacks for our next trip. I am using and loving the gossamer vagabond. It has been just about perfect!

Only downside is regularly having to say “yes that’s all we have. No, our bags are not being transferred”.
which model of vagabond are you using? the packable?

Not to be nit-picky here, but why would you compare a 48 L pack with a 28 L pack? That’s kind of apples and oranges. Osprey makes seven 28 L optics - why not compare that to the ultralight?
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...u-6xroT_AhVgVKQEHSrrDrYQwg8oAHoECAEQDA&adurl=
https://www.google.com/search?q=osprey%2028%20litre%20backpack&tbm=
Because it was what I was using (48l) for my first 2 Caminos (when I did a daily blog and had to carry a laptop, charger, mouse cables, camera...).

I'm trying a lightweight approach this time and not doing a daily blog... So I don't need 48l, and I am trying 28l.

Plus, I'm finding that with 28l, I'm more conscious of what I'm packing.

Used baggage transfer on the last chunk of the Via Podiensis a few weeks ago (gasp) and the Gossamer Gear Loris 25 for a day pack. I really liked it and could see using it as a full pack with one caveat. The weather ranged from freezing to boiling and the pack was great when it was raining and cold as it provided another layer of insulation. But when it was hot, the pack was brutal as it lay right next to the back with no airflow. I replaced the sit pad “frame” with a different model from Gossamer Gear so hopefully that will fix the problem. The load transfer to the hip belt was really comfortable, carrying about 10 pounds, including a water bladder, first air/electronics/change of clothes, pretty much what would be carried on a summer Camino trip (we travelled first so the transfer bags had “good clothes/shoes”). I missed the Osprey “brain” that typically has a larger first aid kit, guidebook, etc. The Loris has a smaller outside pocket that will hold a smaller first aid kit and chargers. Side water bottle pockets held flip flops and an extra Smart Water bottle. The mesh front pocket seemed a bit fragile so only put a rain jacket there. A lime green Osprey extra small rain cover fit fine, both for rain and road walking days for visibility. That may have made the pack hotter, too. Overall, the ultralight pack was great, as long as the new sit pad gives it more structure and a cooler back panel. I’m thinking of using it on the next warm weather Camino but need something larger for cooler seasons. PS: Love my Rab Borealis light jacket, Rab makes great gear!

like the Ranger Roll system but I can't imagine doing that everyday for each item on Camino.
I'm not sure I understand. I don't unroll any more than I need to wear at a time, so I don't have to re-roll more than I have washed, dried and needs to be packed away. That is generally only four or perhaps five items, not all the items in my pack.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you don't want to edit or get fancy on photo work, the newer phones will do blog posts. With mine I can do simple photo edits, type text, tags, and post. Haven't figured out anything more in depth, but then I'm using Blogger. Your blog choice may have a more usable app.
BC
Because it was what I was using (48l) for my first 2 Caminos (when I did a daily blog and had to carry a laptop, charger, mouse cables, camera...).

I'm trying a lightweight approach this time and not doing a daily blog... So I don't need 48l, and I am trying 28l.

Plus, I'm finding that with 28l, I'm more conscious of what I'm packing.

Although I definitely see the benefits of an ultralight, I could never with a 28L. Just too small for me. I like multiple changes of clothes, vlogging gear, etc, and I prefer a hydration bladder sleeve, and various entry points into the pack. It's just my personal preference, which, of course drives my choice. I have used a Osprey Kestrel 48 for 2 Camino's, but as it's a bit long in the tooth now, I'll probably look at 38-40L for my type of use on my next Camino. But, I never found the Kestrel 48 to be "too heavy" at any point, including starting off in the morning carrying 2L of water in the bladder. I mean, I carry it to the first bar, take it off. Carry it to where I'm having lunch, take it off, and then once more for a cerveza break, so it's not like it's on my back the entire day. I also try to stick to 20-25km days, and rarely do over 30 if I can help it. Your mileage, as they say, may vary. 😉

I think there are 2 different kinds of backpack:
- The true reliable, strong backpacks, which weigh more than 1 kilo empty
- The light, more fragile backpacks, which weigh as less as 700 or 800 g. These ones offer often less than 40L capacity.
Not all ultralight backpacks are created equally. Some are indeed fragile. Others are very durable. Some are indeed small, others are 40L or bigger. What many are lacking is extra pockets and zippers, and they don’t have the same kind of frame the heavier packs have - and you will pay more $$$ for a quality ultralight backpack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Greetings,

80H x 36W x 30D
21.3H x 13.4 W x 12.2D
54H x 34W x 31D

• POSITIVES:
    • Really lightweight!
  • NEGATIVES:

Cheers,
Great Post. Osprey Stratos 36L for me.
Buen Camino. 😎

It's great that you think this is (almost) perfect, or have a skill in writing headlines, but I'm not inclined to think this would be on my list of packs to consider anytime soon.

I have used lightweight packs from other makers, and always found them highly compromised. In particular, they remove so much padding from the harness that their comfortable load carrying limits are significantly reduced compared to more traditional designs of similar volumes. Those that I have used were all single compartment designs, although most had a lid. I find single compartment designs less easy to use in albergues, where you want to pack items like a sleeping bag in the bottom of the pack, so packing cannot be even be started until the morning. Two compartment designs generally allow one compartment to be completely packed in the evening, and only those items used during the night can then be packed into the other compartment in the morning.

More, RAB don't seem to make this in a size that would suit me. You already note that you think it will be a squeeze to get everything you need into this pack. My preference is not to have a pack so full that it is difficult to get access to the contents during the day. Certainly sensible loading will ensure that most items one needs during the day are close to the top, but not everything can be, and I would rather not have to unload too much to get at something if it is possible to pack less densely and be able to reach around inside the pack when one needs to.

There are plenty of good packs out there that don't "get any buzz on this forum". I actually think that's a good thing. Promoting particular products, as you have done here, runs the risk of being seen as trying to influence members towards a particular solution. Perhaps your views on this will be more valuable once you have used it on the camino and have a better appreciation of how well it actually performs in that environment.

I’m so glad you posted this, Doug. I’ve been concerned for some time that there are posts about equipment, particularly also on footwear and certain types of raingear, that get close to crossing the line into blatant advertising.

De colores. Bogong

The Osprey XOS originally came in three volumes - 38, 48 and 58 litres. When they released the second version the 58 litre was not available in Australia, maybe they stopped making that one.
The weight difference between the three sizes was negligible, they all had the same frame etc and the amount of material didn't change much.
We bought the original 58 litre packs. Disadvantage is that it allows/encourages you to take too much! Self discipline is required....
The pack is not optimal with heavy weights but we did a one night walk-in camp last weekend with tent, sleep bags and mats, warm clothes, etc and 4 litres of water per person. My pack weighted 13.5 kg and the XOS did well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi! I used this like you for my last Camino but reverted to folding clothes and putting them into a dry bag!
The Ranger rolled clothes for me (only my opinion) felt like a had a pack of hard lumps instead of a quite soft pad of clothes!

My pack is also a Gossamer Gear G4-20 ready for the Frances; i wear it every day at home for shopping, my daily 5-7 mile dog walk etc! It is minimal and light (weight mine is the large and weighs 750grms including the fitted seat pad) Accessible water bottle holder you can reach on the move and a brilliant stretch front pocket that is again accessible on the move if your even a little flexible and so capacious if needed.
I don't think i will ever look for another it's a keeper!!!
Woody

Does not look like a perfect pack for me, but as many others have said, thats down to personal preference. If it works for you, great.

- Rather heavy for its size
- Side pockets are rather high, getting to your stuff there will be complicated without taking off the pack
- Shoulder strap pockets are rather small, likely to small to fit a water bottle --> this combined with the last point is a serious downside for me
- No extra attachment points (e.g. daisy chain ) on the shoulder straps --> see last two points
- fixed hipbelt. Might fit your back length, might not.
- not exactly sure how water resistant the not so clearly specified material is exactly. Might be a minor point.
- not exactly sure how big the pocket on the front of the pack is. Might be a little small to be practical, but might be a minor point.

So yeah, if those things are of no issue, it might be a viable pack. For me, it's far from perfect and i would use something like a Kumo instead.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does not look like a perfect pack for me, but as many others have said, thats down to personal preference. If it works for you, great.

- Rather heavy for its size
- Side pockets are rather high, getting to your stuff there will be complicated without taking off the pack
- Shoulder strap pockets are rather small, likely to small to fit a water bottle --> this combined with the last point is a serious downside for me
- No extra attachment points (e.g. daisy chain ) on the shoulder straps --> see last two points
- fixed hipbelt. Might fit your back length, might not.
- not exactly sure how water resistant the not so clearly specified material is exactly. Might be a minor point.
- not exactly sure how big the pocket on the front of the pack is. Might be a little small to be practical, but might be a minor point.

So yeah, if those things are of no issue, it might be a viable pack. For me, it's far from perfect and i would use something like a Kumo instead.
The side pockets have an opening on the side (might be hard to see in the photos) and are very easy to access and the material is very stretchy.

The pockets on the shoulder straps are big enough to hold my Sony Rx-100 camera (which is a big plus for me since I take lots of photos along the way). The other pocket... I use it for handy access to some snacks (usually nuts).

The front pocket is really stretchy and I am surprised at how much stuff it can store.

It certainly is not the perfect pack (is there such a thing?) but it checks a lot of boxes for ME & wanted to share my thoughts since it has not been mentioned in other posts.

Cheers,

Hi! I used this like you for my last Camino but reverted to folding clothes and putting them into a dry bag!
The Ranger rolled clothes for me (only my opinion) felt like a had a pack of hard lumps instead of a quite soft pad of clothes!

My pack is also a Gossamer Gear G4-20 ready for the Frances; i wear it every day at home for shopping, my daily 5-7 mile dog walk etc! It is minimal and light (weight mine is the large and weighs 750grms including the fitted seat pad) Accessible water bottle holder you can reach on the move and a brilliant stretch front pocket that is again accessible on the move if your even a little flexible and so capacious if needed.
I don't think i will ever look for another it's a keeper!!!
Woody
How is the ventilation on your G4??? I sweat like pig :) so ventilation is important to me. My Osprey does a great job of keeping my back dry. This new Rab has some ventilation, but not nearly as good as the Osprey.

Thanks!

How is the ventilation on your G4??? I sweat like pig :) so ventilation is important to me. My Osprey does a great job of keeping my back dry. This new Rab has some ventilation, but not nearly as good as the Osprey.

Thanks!
Hi JJinWI!
I brought my G4-20 on Christmas Eve last year 2022!

I had an Osprey Talon 33 for the Portuguese Coastal and sweated shed loads; in fact i donated my 2 L/S sun shirts as they were soaked in an hour! (it was up to 27Cby lunch a couple of times)
I also had an Osprey Stratos 34 felt great and well ventilated!
Wasn't until i upped the miles to about 9 or 10 when the frame rubbed the inside of my shoulder blades which got worse!

However although the G4-20 has the seat pad and some mesh it still sits against your back.
But
I walk every day at home between 5 -7 miles with my G/dog.
Every day i carry the pack.
From the end of March this year i walked slightly more, with the pack loaded for my 2nd May Frances (4.22kg plus one litre of water and some for the dog)

A lot of those days i would shop at Aldi and added another kilo or two of shopping in the stretchy mesh front pocket on the way home!
I cant remember a day when i have had a really sweaty back; today it was 20 C and i was in a t shirt with about i guess only 3-4 kilos of shopping and no sweaty back issue!!
Mind you £224 is a lot to spend to find out that it does in fact give YOU a wet one!
That's the trouble with opinion;is what's good for the Goose may not be for the Gander :)

The only way you will know is to use one.

Hope you get sorted; you can go down a rabbit hole trying to find the perfect pack;you should see my suitcase full of socks ha!ha!🤣
Buen Camino
Woody

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Woody,

Thanks for the info!

Your comments about the G4-20 sound encouraging!!!

Luckily I live in the USA and I can find G4-20 for a lot less.

Cheers,

@JJinWI - have you looked at Zpacks backpacks? Larger volume and expensive, but very lightweight with an adjustable trampoline style back for air flow.

They look like great packs... but YIKES!!!! $400!!!!!

Thanks for the info!!!!

Cheers,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Attached is an interesting stab at presenting some UL packs based on their attributes. While I personally would not consider a 45+ liter for a Camino, I sure see a lot of ‘em out here. Whether you agree or not with this assessment of the packs, it does provide several brands and models to consider if you’re in the UL market.

Interesting how things vary between pilgrims. This pack is the complete opposite of what I deem perfect - though it looks a great day pack.
For me it is way too small - I like having loads of space so I can pack my gear in different sections, be able to access items in my pack easily and fit some lunch in without having to compress my sandwich's into biscuits.
Secondly the ventilation doesn't look great (obviously it may well be) - there doesn't appear to be any space between the pack and my back - so it would be dripping in sweat after I have been walking 5 minutes!

I use an Osprey Atmoss AG65 - which is huge by most forum members standards. But I walked SJPDP to Santiago with around 13kg total and didn't have an issue with the pack at all. I then walked Sarria to santiago with 8kg in a Vango Ozone 40. Smaller, much lighter. But weight transfer and strapping meant i struggled with shoulder pain the whole time.

Next time round im using the larger Ag65 but aiming sub 10kg total (including water).

Horses for courses.....I personally wont be youtubing ways to roll my shirts smaller as a compromise on a few hundred grams of pack weight :)

Good luck with the bag and Buen Camino

Yes, picking a Camino backpack (like much of life :) ) is full of comprises.

Balancing weight vs comfort vs size vs cost vs...

My first 2 Caminos (with my Osprey & blogging equipment) weighed a lot.

So, I thought it would be fun/interesting to try an ultra-lightweight approach to this Camino.
Welcome to the ultra-light! I'm using a 22l pack this time, because I just couldn't fit into a 7l pack, no matter how hard I've tried 😆

I used an Atmos 50 on my Caminos! I loved the pack for the comfort and having room where I didn’t have to compress everything or jigsaw puzzle the pieces inside. And the extra room was awesome on grocery days. I also did a winter Camiño so needed extra room for down jacket and heavier sleeping bag.

I’ve just returned home and I’m already planning my next Camiño. I looked at other pilgrims jealously with their 30L packs and I’m researching lighter options. Just between my sleeping bag and empty pack weight I could easily shave 4 pounds. Which sounds very appealing…. But my next Camiño will be another winter one so I’m not sure it will be worth it to lose the four pounds and lose the comfort, security and ease of use I have?

I need to think on this
Hi I have a 50 litre Aura Osprey backpack and was wondering if you put your 50 litre backpack as carry on luggage. Would love a reply.

Hi I have a 50 litre Aura Osprey backpack and was wondering if you put your 50 litre backpack as carry on luggage. Would love a reply.
Whether or not someone else was able to carry on a 50 liter backpack does not guarantee that you will be able to. Each airline has their own limits as far as size and weight, and it depends on if the backpack is stuffed full or can be squished down to fit into the luggage sizer. Some have rigid frames that keep you from being able to get them into the sizer.

You need to check the maximum carry on size for the airline that you will be flying, and measure your backpack to see if it will fit.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As @trecile advises, what someone else has gotten away with does not guarantee that you will. Most airlines have a maximum carry on length of around 55/ 56 cm - some are even smaller. I believe the Aura is around 75/80cm long? Makes it very unlikely!

There are multiple recent threads on the forum expressing how strictly the airlines are currently enforcing this, with only a few people saying they had no issues. Many of whom last walked years ago. It’s your risk, I certainly wouldn’t plan on taking it as carry on.
By the way, I know it’s an excellent pack, but it’s a pretty large/heavy pack for the Camino. Are you carrying camping gear too, or a lot of camera equipment? Downsizing to a 32l could save you half a kilogram or more, and mean you have an excellent chance of finding one that fit’s your airlines carry on requirements IF that’s an option for you. It’s only a thought, we all walk our own Camino!

Buen Camino

My Deuter 40 plus 10 pack was excellent for the majority of my Caminos but as I get older and still prefer to carry my pack I realised I had to lighten up. I was recommended the Osprey Eja 38 , have used it on two Caminos now love it. I also replaced my 1 kg sleeping bag for a 500mgs. hopefully will be ok for another few years .

As @trecile advises, what someone else has gotten away with does not guarantee that you will. Most airlines have a maximum carry on length of around 55/ 56 cm - some are even smaller. I believe the Aura is around 75/80cm long? Makes it very unlikely!

There are multiple recent threads on the forum expressing how strictly the airlines are currently enforcing this, with only a few people saying they had no issues. Many of whom last walked years ago. It’s your risk, I certainly wouldn’t plan on taking it as carry on.
By the way, I know it’s an excellent pack, but it’s a pretty large/heavy pack for the Camino. Are you carrying camping gear too, or a lot of camera equipment? Downsizing to a 32l could save you half a kilogram or more, and mean you have an excellent chance of finding one that fit’s your airlines carry on requirements IF that’s an option for you. It’s only a thought, we all walk our own Camino!

Buen Camino
I had no issues with my Osprey Stratos 36L on Emirates, Air New Zealand or Ryanair. A tight squeeze but no problems.😎🇳🇿

Greetings,

80H x 36W x 30D
21.3H x 13.4 W x 12.2D
54H x 34W x 31D

• POSITIVES:
    • Really lightweight!
  • NEGATIVES:

Cheers,
VERY interesting! how did it go?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I would greatly appreciate a packing list from your good lady wife as I plan my fourth Camino. I started with 17 lbs in 2002 (no "Gossamer Gear" options then: it was a Kelty something or other) and in 2012 and 2018, I had still not learned my "less weight in the pack"lesson. I moved from Missouri to Portugal last summer so US-brand options are an expensive option. Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.