• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Rules

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I initially posted this on another thread but thought it might be fun to start a new one. Please, please, good people - this is just for fun. Nothing serious allowed.

I make up my own set of rules. They are very elastic. Here are a few relating to walking:

1. All forms of motor transport are banned, except for farm vehicles. This includes Rebekak Scott's car.
2. Suburban buses in industrial areas of major towns are allowed, especially if it is raining or very hot.
3. Local trains on the Norte are a Cultural Experience, so don't count as motor transport.
4. An ambulance disguised as a taxi is medical treatment. That's OK.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I make up my own set of rules. They are very elastic. Here are a few relating to walking:

1. All forms of motor transport are banned, except for farm vehicles. This includes Rebekak Scott's car.
2. Suburban buses in industrial areas of major towns are allowed, especially if it is raining or very hot.
3. Local trains on the Norte are a Cultural Experience, so don't count as motor transport.
4. An ambulance disguised as a taxi is medical treatment. That's OK.
That is a very reasonable set of rules.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, not much response to that set of rules, so here are mine relating to accommodation:

1. I will always sleep in the simplest cheapest accommodation reasonably available.
2. Bedbugs are part of the experience. So is sleeping in clouds of permethrin.
3. During times when the Spanish economy is in trouble it is only kind and considerate to depart from rule 1 and 2.
4. It is selfish to take up space in a municipal albergue when there are others in need.
5. In Santo Domingo de la Calzada the simplest cheapest accommodation is the Parador at the special pilgrim rate.
5. San Anton is not accommodation but a Total Experience, and compulsory.

It is always interesting how we give ourselves a set of rules to walk the Camino by. Much like life, we all are different. None of us are clones. So the reason not many reply is simply that sometimes our rules may be too much for others or have little interest.
I like you are attempting this.

1. I walked no exceptions
2. I had to have beer@ 2pm or as close to it as possible(energy drink)

Huge set of rules

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That reminds me of another rule. We always had to have a second breakfast after 10,000 paces (on the Fitbit).
Fit bit?
Sorry The Aussie family I walked with had to explain a lot of things like addition when playing an Aussie card game.. Or the need to always keep 2 kilos of chocolate for a snack with wine.. I miss those Melbourne Angels

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ah, yes, chocolate. An essential part of every Camino. My walking companion thought it a necessity for 2am munchies.

1. Supermarket type plastic bags are to be banned inside albergues.
2. Supermarket type bags are to be used for potty training along the way, especially for grown-ups.
3. The CF from Saria to Santiago is to be reserved for those willing not to be handed out a Compostela.
4. Never, ever put your back pack down on the ground, so it does not pick up chinches.
5. A breathaliser test should be mandatory before entering an albergue at night so those who are ....out of their minds may not wake the rest of is in their drunken stupor and stomach "upset".
6. When you see someone ahead of you walking along quietly, quite down and respect that space.
7. If staying in an albergue that provides bedding, put it away or fold it up nicely - do not leave like an entitled brat.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We wanted to visit Oviedo after deciding to stay on the Norte and not to walk the Primitivo. Got on a tiny train that was a milk run - it shuffled backwards and forwards stopping at every little hamlet with people gossiping and getting on and off, their shopping clutched under their arms. Through the most beautiful countryside, but it took forever. It kept doubling back on itself. Walking probably would have been faster.

My current rules:

1 noooo complaints about one small blister!

2 just because bread is served does not mean that you have to eat it.

3 always thank, but be honest. If the proprietor wants to know if the sandwiches good, and the sandwiches made with yesterday's bread and a moldy tomato, it is fair to gently suggest that the wife cook...!

4 there is rarely perfect walking weather but if you are geared correctly, it is a great equalizer, so it is fair to criticize your own gear!!

Deb

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That reminds me of another rule. We always had to have a second breakfast after 10,000 paces (on the Fitbit).
Kanga - this is one of my rules! (without the fitbit) Second breakfast is one of the 6 most important meals of the day!

Hey Jill - why are you so tough on Rebeka - if her car is on the Camino she and Paddy are probably doing clean up patrols.

@Saint Mike II - not tough on her at all - I phrased it poorly. What I meant was that Rebekah's car is a farm vehicle. So I did not break the rules by accepting a lift from her. My definition of farm vehicle is very elastic.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well, not much response to that set of rules, so here are mine relating to accommodation:

1. I will always sleep in the simplest cheapest accommodation reasonably available.
2. Bedbugs are part of the experience. So is sleeping in clouds of permethrin.
3. During times when the Spanish economy is in trouble it is only kind and considerate to depart from rule 1 and 2.
4. It is selfish to take up space in a municipal albergue when there are others in need.
5. In Santo Domingo de la Calzada the simplest cheapest accommodation is the Parador at the special pilgrim rate.
5. San Anton is not accommodation but a Total Experience, and compulsory.

Kanga - it was so good to meet you at San Anton and my co-hospitalera really enjoyed having a couple of 'Sheilas' there for the night to keep her company! I agree that San Anton should be on everybody's list of MUST stay places. A very quiet young man wrote in the book that he had been searching for the spirit of the Camino but hadn't found it until he spent the night at San Anton.

1). No racing.

Therefore

2) At 7:00pm or after and if the albergue is full and an (some) additional person (people) arrive the persons who were 1st, 2nd ..... in winning the race to get a bed all those hours before have to give up their bed, pack their bags and walk onto the next albergue.

Hi Kanga - fantastic thread!

My contribution to 'The Rules' is :

To avoid hangovers on the Camino one must consume only SOBERANO Spanish Brandy ...

Brandy_SOBERANO_1_L.jpg

Our Forum contributor par excellence, David, introduced me to this delicious adult beverage on our First Aid camino last month. It was a bitingly-cold day in Castrojeriz - we had been out for hours attending a festa which involved a procession through the streets of this delightful town, and then a Mass in the local church. Chilled to the bone, Soberano and café con leches were SO welcome back at Camping Camino!

Cheers - Jenny

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My current rules:

1 noooo complaints about one small blister!

2 just because bread is served does not mean that you have to eat it.

3 always thank, but be honest. If the proprietor wants to know if the sandwiches good, and the sandwiches made with yesterday's bread and a moldy tomato, it is fair to gently suggest that the wife cook...!

4 there is rarely perfect walking weather but if you are geared correctly, it is a great equalizer, so it is fair to criticize your own gear!!

Deb
1. Never criticize your gear. You bought it!

My rules:

1) If walking with new friend or longtime family, and they say, "This is easier than I thought." Tell them immediately to shut up because it won't be in a day or two.

2) No public transport en route save the occasional ferry on the Norte. But...totally use the most convenient and comfortable method of transportation to get to and from starting and ending points.

3) Be quiet about past Camino experiences, unless it actually adds value to the conversation.

4) Always sing loudly whenever a guitar is pulled out.

5) If a town has a hotel, book ahead and stay in it, and always book a double room in case you meet someone interesting.

6) Ensalada Mixta. Everyday if I can. Or at least some fruit and vegetables. One can only eat so much pan, carne/pollo and patatas fritas.

7) Never order the Vino if eating a Perigrino Menu solo. Go with the water. The next morning I am thankful.

8) Try to stay in different places than any prior walk. But stay again in the ones I loved.

9) Never choose a bunk next to some poor soul who is constantly caughing, sneezing, or using Ben Gay.

10) Smile, say hello, be friendly, invite the other like minded souls into my life.

Damien

1. Never criticize your gear. You bought it!
And my new rule for gear: you bought it, you use it. And my new rule for gear: you bought it, you use it. Unless it's from REI!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
1. on day 1 take off the wristwatch, hang it from a tree or throw it in a bin, then walk on.
2. stop at all times when something interesting appears, even if it is just a bird hanging on the air or a single poppy flowering in a bed of wheat.
3. carry a large sound system so that when the Germans start banging around and rustling bags at 4 am you can join in and play "Deutschland Uber Alles" for them.
4. in all things moderation.
5. forget moderation, never take moderation to excess.
6. every time you think "how much further do I have to walk today" slap yourself in the face.
7. every time you think "will there be room at the refugio, I must hurry" slap yourself in the face.
8. Every time you think you want to use your phone slap yourself in the face.
9. when you meet a really unpleasant pilgrim be calm and kind and try to walk a mile in their shoes. A mile later you will have their shoes and will never see them again.
10. stop telling people about yourself and start asking them about themselves.
11. if you see a pilgrim sitting alone at a pilgrim meal ask to sit with them or if you are with others ask them to sit with you.
12. Soberano brandy is the elixir of life, drink it regularly
13. never drink brandy regularly
14. if you don't find yourself laughing and crying unexpectedly you might be doing it wrong.
15. hire a brass band to walk in front of you each time you enter a city.
16. Santiago isn't the end of the journey, the journey itself is home - remember that.

Last edited:
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
1. on day 1 take off the wristwatch, hang it from a tree or throw it in a bin, then walk on.
2. stop at all times when something interesting appears, even if it is just a bird hanging on the air or a single poppy flowering in a bed of wheat.
3. carry a large sound system so that when the Germans start banging around and rustling bags at 4 am you can join in and play "Deutschland Uber Alles" for them.
4. in all things moderation.
5. forget moderation, never take moderation to excess.
6. every time you think "how much further do I have to walk today" slap yourself in the face.
7. every time you think "will there be room at the refugio, I must hurry" slap yourself in the face.
8. Every time you think you want to use your phone slap yourself in the face.
9. when you meet a really unpleasant pilgrim be calm and kind and try to walk a mile in their shoes. A mile later you will have their shoes and will never see them again.
10. stop telling people about yourself and start asking them about themselves.
11. if you see a pilgrim sitting alone at a pilgrim meal ask to sit with them or if you are with others ask them to sit with you.
12. Soberano brandy is the elixir of life, drink it regularly
13. never drink brandy regularly
14. if you don't find yourself laughing and crying unexpectedly you might be doing it wrong.
15. hire a brass band to walk in front of you each time you enter a city.
16. Santiago isn't the end of the journey, the journey itself is home - remember that.

Top rules David! If I could do 16 LIKES I would!
Cheers - Jenny

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love love love some of these rules! Here are some of mine - which are repeats of some of the above:

• No rattling supermarket bags in your pack, EVER
  • Pick up after yourself everywhere you go - no trash or toilet paper left, EVER!
  • No starting before first light
  • No headlamps or torches in the albergue - if you can't see, it's too early to get up!
  • Respect the peace and quiet of the albergue no matter the time - pilgrims are resting
  • If you're tired, stop and rest - rub those tootsies!
  • If you feel a hot spot, STOP and slap on some Compeed
  • If you can help someone, do so
  • Never put your backpack on the floor - chinchas
  • Always inspect the bed and room for chinchas before your stay - if you see sign, leave
  • Spanish trains are always on time - if a train shows up 3 minutes before schedule, don't get on!
  • LAUGH! Especially at yourself
  • Try all new food
  • Always carry bread and cheese
  • No toca la fruta!
  • Cerveza con limon will get you to the next rest stop
  • Speak Spanish whenever possible - even if you don't think your Spanish is good
  • SMILE - even at grouchy people
  • Get a private room whenever you can afford it - it will save your sanity
  • Don't have expectations and always be ready for a surprise!
  • If a wave of change hits you, RIDE IT! It may take you to fabulous places!

• If you are disturbed by rustling bags, wear earplugs. It's your problem not the rustlers'. I'm sure they're not doing it just to annoy.
  • If you are disturbed by flashlights in the albergue, wear a sleeping mask. See above for reason
  • Try and learn some Spanish
  • Tortillas and cafe solo for 2nd breakfast.
  • Sing Christmas carols as the mood strikes
  • Try and do the "follow the yellow brick road" dance at least once
  • Don't make it all about Santiago. Enjoy the journey ( yes I know it sounds trite)
I don't recall trying the brandy but maybe next time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Never pass up an opportunity for a Cafe con Leche or a bathroom stop on the route, it could be a long time before you see another.
Never pass up a beer at the end of a day and Vino Blanco or Tinto at dinner.

Just realized some personal ones

If you have ringworm, mange, or other skin affliction don't proudly share it.

Don't ask others to trim back hair you can't reach.

If you run out of soap find something, dirt sand anything.. Floor soap has a better fragrance.

If you fall into the Bathroom hole in the floor, don't ask for help unless your really stuck.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Kanga - fantastic thread!

My contribution to 'The Rules' is :

To avoid hangovers on the Camino one must consume only SOBERANO Spanish Brandy ...
Our Forum contributor par excellence, David, introduced me to this delicious adult beverage on our First Aid camino last month. It was a bitingly-cold day in Castrojeriz - we had been out for hours attending a festa which involved a procession through the streets of this delightful town, and then a Mass in the local church. Chilled to the bone, Soberano and café con leches were SO welcome back at Camping Camino! Cheers - Jenny
Oh now I see you add the brandy to the decaf coffee - makes up for what is missing!!!! See you on the first Wednesday in Nov? OK M

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Huh. I was thinking a mariachi band into Santiago would be fabuloso.
I realise that this is a fun thread with fun rules but I was wondering whether you actually know that a brass band that accompanies the pilgrims group and plays each time the group enters a village or town on the road is a characteristic of traditional Catholic pilgrimages?

And I suppose it's not something one encounters on the Camino Frances and similar caminos as they are more of a long distance endeavour for single pilgrims than the traditional shorter pilgrimages that are done either individually or with a pre-established group?

One of the years after a lonely, cold, wet, miserable Meseta morning I entered Bar Elvis. Ordering a cortado I as an afterthought added " Y un Orojo". This I then added to the coffee after a sip of coffee to make way for it. Instant warm! When I decided that another was required to bring me up to operating level I was astonished to see him half fill his mug with Orojo and start slurping it! After that day I think differently when I see a farm worker drinking alcohol at breakfast. Like many experiences on the Camino an opportunity to open my eyes, learn something and understand others better and my life to be richer for it.

Sometime in the late 70's I was in El Burgo, north of Malaga on the GR7. I'd just staggered out of last nights Fonda, my companions still snoring, and was in search of coffee. Down the street was an un-marked Bar, detectable by the Mahou crates stacked outside and by the shussh of the coffee machine. Inside a line of farmers and field workers sipped coffee and a clear liquid from shot-glasses, to small to be water. I pointed and smiled. The bar keep shook his head and then shrugged and poured me a shot.

Ah, Orujo. My friend and companion on many a cold morning since.

Edit: to add a rule - Orujo is not only for Breakfast

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
hmmmm, what will happen if I post my own personal rules ?

LOL

Rule number one -- seek out the Toad of the Peaceable Kingdom

rule number three -- help all pilgrims

rule number four -- no motor transport

rule number five -- give, or ask

rule number six -- walk every mile

rule number seven -- remember

rule number eight -- drink enough cerveza

rule number nine -- speak with all non-pilgrims non-hospitaleros

rule number ten -- worship at Holy Mass

rule number eleven -- abandon all expectations

rule number twelve -- follow the yellow arrows

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
INTAKE? I thought 1 drink was your limit!!!

Ha ha Mike! Think again! ;)

I've been in serious training of recent times, and have been extensively researching which Spanish wine is the most delicious! My favourite wine from my First Aid Camino with David is exceptional - here it is :

Forum members - if you ever have the opportunity to try this excellent wine, you will be very pleased you did.
Cheers!

@Kanga , I've curious about how reliable my Jawbone (type if Fitbit) is. How many steps does your Fitbit tell you you take when walking some 22-25km? Thanks!

One of the years after a lonely, cold, wet, miserable Meseta morning I entered Bar Elvis. Ordering a cortado I as an afterthought added " Y un Orojo". This I then added to the coffee after a sip of coffee to make way for it. Instant warm! When I decided that another was required to bring me up to operating level I was astonished to see him half fill his mug with Orojo and start slurping it! After that day I think differently when I see a farm worker drinking alcohol at breakfast. Like many experiences on the Camino an opportunity to open my eyes, learn something and understand others better and my life to be richer for it.

Al - I love what you have said in your post - particularly the last sentence which rings so very true. Thank you.

Love this thread. Let me take a crack at a set of my own.

If you think the Tinto is sub par ask for something else

Talk to strangers

Use that Spanish you studied

Don't be afraid of new foods

It would be a good idea to learn some German

Most important- if you see someone who is having a bad day see if you can help.

@Anemone del Camino I think about 35,000 but I'm not sure. I'd have to look at the records. It seems to be more accurate the longer I walk. Don't forget that it does measure every little step - not just those on the path.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
1)Never leave before daylight
2) Never stop and not have at least a half beer
3) Never pass up a chance to eat any encased meat product, especially if made from pork, especially if it resembles a bacon bocadillo
4) A day in Euskal Herria that doesn't include a pinxto and a glass of txacoli has to be re-walked
5) A day in Castilla y Leon that doesn't include morcilla has to be re-walked
6) A day in Galicia that doesn't include pulpo has to be re-walked
7) If you meet a pilgrim after Leon who doesn't know what paxtaran is, you must buy them and yourself a drink
8) no taxis unless medically needed
9) public transportation IN to major cities only (never out), and even then only if bad weather or really dangerous traffic
10) Never pop a blister
11)Always speak as much local language (Basque or Gallego) as you can, if not then as much Spanish as you can.
12) Always go inside a church if open
13) Always wish people a buen camino, even if you have to force yourself to mean it

13 is a lucky number, correct? :)

1)Never leave before daylight
2) Never stop and not have at least a half beer
3) Never pass up a chance to eat any encased meat product, especially if made from pork, especially if it resembles a bacon bocadillo
4) A day in Euskal Herria that doesn't include a pinxto and a glass of txacoli has to be re-walked
5) A day in Castilla y Leon that doesn't include morcilla has to be re-walked
6) A day in Galicia that doesn't include pulpo has to be re-walked
7) If you meet a pilgrim after Leon who doesn't know what paxtaran is, you must buy them and yourself a drink
8) no taxis unless medically needed
9) public transportation IN to major cities only (never out), and even then only if bad weather or really dangerous traffic
10) Never pop a blister
11)Always speak as much local language (Basque or Gallego) as you can, if not then as much Spanish as you can.
12) Always go inside a church if open
13) Always wish people a buen camino, even if you have to force yourself to mean it

13 is a lucky number, correct? :)
Brilliantly done!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back