• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Solution to Toilet Paper for the Camino/Outdoors Anywhere!

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many to count!
I may have discovered the solution, finally to the age old problem of seeing TP where it doesn't belong. I was introduced to this outdoor, portable "bidet," that when used alongside a Kula cloth, you will never need TP again in the outdoors! This ingenious little device fits on any standard size water or soda bottle and weighs almost nothing. If you don't like the drip-dry sensation, pair it with a Kula cloth or any quick-dry microfiber cloth to wipe yourself dry. And yes, it works for all functions! Just give the bottle a good hard squeeze! :p You can google "outdoor bidet" to find bigger, more bulky products than this one, but this is the best for travel!

20220820_081702.jpg20220820_080656.jpg
View attachment 20220820_081540.mp4

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Somebody has reinvented the Muslim Lota!

A friend's son-in-law who served in Iraq and Afghanistan told me recycled Capri Sun pouches were very much in demand.
Ha ha. No hand-wipe involved with this product with a good hard squirt or three! I lived in Turkey for 2 years and the "Arab Squatters" as we called the toilets never had TP available, just running water. Hence, never shake hands with your left!! (It is always etiquette in Arabic countries to only use your left hand for wiping). But I have never heard of the Lota!

Ha ha. No hand-wipe involved with this product with a good hard squirt or three! I lived in Turkey for 2 years and the "Arab Squatters" as we called the toilets never had TP available, just running water. Hence, never shake hands with your left!! (It is always etiquette in Arabic countries to only use your left hand for wiping). But I have never heard of the Lota!
Said son-in-law brought one home as a present. My friend used it to water her indoor plants until her daughter let her in on the joke:

1661013097394.png

I may have discovered the solution, finally to the age old problem of seeing TP where it doesn't belong. I was introduced to this outdoor, portable "bidet," that when used alongside a Kula cloth, you will never need TP again in the outdoors! This ingenious little device fits on any standard size water or soda bottle and weighs almost nothing. If you don't like the drip-dry sensation, pair it with a Kula cloth or any quick-dry microfiber cloth to wipe yourself dry. And yes, it works for all functions! Just give the bottle a good hard squeeze! :p You can google "outdoor bidet" to find bigger, more bulky products than this one, but this is the best for travel!

View attachment 131348View attachment 131347
View attachment 131349
Compostable tp and human waste is a great fertiliser and just needs a bit of common sense when one is finished there business. Et Voila

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Guardian (newspaper) might not be available in the US?
It’s accessible in Oz … and probably NZ too.
The link works in th UK.
I often read Guardian articles online in the US, but when I click the link I only see a tiny Guardian logo on a black background.

Screenshot_20220821-112832.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A friend's son-in-law who served in Iraq and Afghanistan told me recycled Capri Sun pouches were very much in demand.
This sent me to Dr Google. It seems that we should rush out before a recent batch is removed from the shelves. It appears they are already preloaded with a cleaning solution!

https://www.cnbc.com › 2022 › 08 › 17 › capri-sun-recall-pouches-possibly-contaminated-with-cleaning-solution.html

Capri Sun recall: Pouches possibly contaminated with cleaning solution

5 days agoKraft Heinz recalled thousands of Capri Sun pouches on August 12, due to possible contamination from a cleaning solution. Approximately 5,760 cases of Capri Sun juices are being recalled, all of...
https://www.cnn.com › 2022 › 08 › 16 › business-food › capri-sun-wild-cherry-recall › index.html

Capri Sun recalled because 5,760 cases were contaminated with cleaning ...

6 days ago5,760 cases of Capri Sun have been recalled after being contaminated with cleaning solution By Jordan Valinsky, CNN Business Updated 12:50 PM ET, Tue August 16, 2022 Kraft Heinz is announcing a...

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I often read Guardian articles online in the US, but when I click the link I only see a tiny Guardian logo on a black background.

View attachment 131417
Do you use a VPN? Cheat and tell it you're in the UK.

It works for me on a US ukulele webpage that won't accept viewing outside of the 50 states.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

View attachment 131417
This may be because Google search insists on putting the search parameters in front of the Guardian URL. If you are using an Apple device that doesn't have Google search available on it then it probably won't work.

Personally, I doubt that the USA blocks The Guardian.

While it may be an attractive alternative for some of us, I don’t believe this idea will appeal to most walkers, and it is not something would do. It would be far more practical to charge a small fee and put portable toilets and baskets in-between stretches of the more frequented caminos stages. A half a euro could be collected for every night stayed on the camino. Albergues could collect. They could keep 15 cents per pilgrim for their effort and 35 cents could go towards the maintenance of the portables and waste pick-up along the caminos. It is time for those in variious regions to work together and address this problem.

Most of us on this forum, certainly carry out. I try as much as possible to stop and use bathroom facilities and support the local business while there. We carry out the hard stuff, tissues, wrappers etc. in doggie bags..but honestly, that is it for me.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Use a bandanna for the few drips, wash with your laundry in the evening. There. the TP problem and the 1000s and 1000s of plastic bags used to pack it out, is solved too.
Ladies, consider getting a FUD, for some of us it is a game changer. For those that don't like or need them, fine, but for those of us who have a problem squatting due to our age, etc. they are invaluable. I like the P-Style.

It would be far more practical to charge a small fee and put portable toilets and baskets in-between stretches of the more frequented caminos stages.
More practical for who?
Certainly not for whichever government or organization who has to finance and operate such a venture.
It's really more practical for pilgrims to use the existing servicios available in bars and restaurants along the way, and take care of their own hygiene when that's not possible.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's really more practical for pilgrims to use the existing servicios available in bars and restaurants along the way, and take care of their own hygiene when that's not possible.

That system is optimum but alas, there is lots of toilet paper and tissues along the paths.

I applaud those that go out, volunteer with the clean up. But there needs to be recognition that many people, for example, walk the CF and that well placed portable toilets and trash cans would improve things. To finance it, start adding a tax in 2023, and slowly add the equipment in 2024. Solutions can be found.

View attachment 131349
What happens after the water bottle is squeezed? Does it reinflate? Is there a link for the nozzle?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am getting some laughs from this thread! I once bought this at a resale shop, thinking I could use it as a step "stool" for reaching the top shelf in my closet easier. It didn't feel very safe and later found out it was a Tushy so I donated it back to the same shop as I need no help "going"...😅
Screenshot_20220826-094241~2.png

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing this information - we are flying out of UK tomorrow to Biarritz and ordered & received the UYICOO portable bidet (3 in a pack) £10.99 from Amazon - we start camino de Santiago from SJPP on Tuesday 30 Aug - looking forward to using these little devices

Compostable tp and human waste is a great fertiliser and just needs a bit of common sense when one is finished there business. Et Voila
What's the first thing everybody does when they get to the albergue?
Shower and laundry.
Enroute: After number 1, pull up your under pants.
After number 2, use toilet paper and bury you waste.
No big deal.

View attachment 131349
You can even do it without the attachment, just a dedicated crushy smallish water bottle you can pick in almost any store in Spain. Look up backwater bidet on YouTube for instructions. Use some multipurpose liquid soap like “camp suds” brand to clean you’re clothes, hair and body In albergue showers and you’re not carrying much extra. I used this for a high sierra john Muir trail hike over 18 days that required packing out used tp (ew) and I never had to do that. Plus it’s a better clean for the nether regions than tp alone.

View attachment 131349
carrying a doggy doo bag with you to carry out your TP to the next trash receptacle works as well

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another thread that I’ve followed with quiet amusement (slapped face astonishment). I think the entire issue could be resolved with very little effort from any of the necessary parties: if any aspirant pilgrim is unable to demonstrate (video, photograph or sketch) that they are capable of a discrete evacuation and an effective clean up they should be told to stay at home and practice.

I spent some four months in East Africa many years ago and generally stayed in accommodations designed for tourists. On one occasion, I decided to skip the bird sanctuary, which was an expensive campground for tourists (no services) and spend a night in an African hotel. The toilet facilities were an outdoor two-hole outhouse, and the cleansing material was a metal jug with a long spout. It was an education. The hotel for locals was still cheaper than camping in the bird sanctuary and the birds could be seen anywhere in the neighbourhood.
In a couple of weeks, I am starting my camino walk on the Le Puy route, and I am looking forward to the widespread availability of outdoor toilet facilities, seen on videos and marked on my map. As far as I can tell, these are available in France, and rarely in Spain, because of cultural differences and not financial reluctance.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

View attachment 131349
As much as I appreciate seeing new and innovative ways to answer questions that already have answers for, I believe that if "people"cannot understand the common sense and easiness of just just "picking up and carrying their own waste" ( at least burying your No 2's and carrying you TP with you) it'd be virtually impossible to get people to use such a device....

Humanity is lost (at least on this topic)... :-(

Last edited:

View attachment 131349
Oh for goodness’ sake! Just pee in the woods if you have to (sometimes it can’t be helped) but TAKE YOUR TISSUE WITH YOU. How is it difficult to understand this???

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
On actual wilderness backpacking trips we never hauled our scat out. No way, lol. Same with the toilet paper. Just carried a trowel to dig a quick cat hole and bury it afterwards. The paper breaks down as does the scat. Ashes to ashes, crap to crap. :D
The only problem on the Camino is that the poopers seem to have a penchant for doing their business on the path or close to it. Why? Who knows? Lazy? Rude? Stupid? Yes I'm sure those are all factors. All that mess festering on the path until the next big rainstorm breaks it down and washes it away.

My experience as a backcountry walker is similar to yours in most respects. On camino, I still carry a trowel and dig a hole in an out of the way spot. However, there are several problems with this: the amount of human waste amd tp, the frequently dry and hard soil in Spain, and the ignorance of so many walkers are three obvious ones.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

View attachment 131349
OH I LOVE this idea! I'll have to include this in a book I am writing about toilets (I know that may sound a bit odd. I worked for many years in a water authority, doing school education programs, and I once researched and developed a program called Toilets Thru Time. It's actually quite a fascinating topic to look at history, cultural differences, designs etc). Happy 'Eco Flushing'!

Where is this "away" that it goes to? And if there is rain involved then "away" might be into the ground water that supplies the springs.
Yes, I'm sure that's where it goes as does all the waste matter from livestock along the Camino. I'm no expert but I'm gonna guess the herds of cows, sheep and the horses one sees almost daily on the Camino leave far more fecal waste matter than the small minority of rude pilgrims who poop the path and all that waste from livestock makes it way to water sources.
There was a river not far from where I grew up that was popular to float on inner tubes down when I was a teenager. While tubing you would pass many farms. Many years later it was closed to tubing due to livestock waste matter levels high in the river. All that cow poop gotta go somewhere.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We all work it out in the end. I carry three different coloured flannels. One for my face, (yellow) one for my body (red) and one for my bottom (microfibre and blue) and I carry a Uriwell with me as well. I don't have to leave my tent at night. My blue flannel being microfibre is very easy to wash clean.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.