• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Then and Now, First and Last

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
I've been going through my photos from various caminos and was surprised to find the first photo from my first camino and one of the last from my most recent one were both of mojones (not that I take so many photos of them, it was just coincidence;)):

Leon-Hospital de Orbigo 2014.JPGSigüeiro to SdC 2018.JPG

They're a study in contrasts, in so many ways.
And I have to say I like the scruffy and weathered one so much more.
I say too much here but I'm hardly an old-timer. But even in 5 caminos, change is palpable.
These mojones - they're mute witnesses and good metaphors, don't you think?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@VNwalking I agree - there is something more appealing and atmospheric about the older and more worn markers. Reading your post I was reminded of a very back-handed compliment in a song from "The Mikado" - a great favourite of mine:

"There's a fascination frantic
In a ruin that's romantic;
Do you think you are sufficiently decayed? " ;):)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maybe we can all post our favorite pics of beat up oldies...
Or like Chris, photos of favorite oddities that are out there too, marking the way.

Here is an oddity I spotted last month. Walking back into Fisterra from the lighthouse I happened to look back and saw this cloud formation over the cape. With the Camino very much in mind I couldn't help seeing something of the scallop shell in the pattern. Perhaps the opposite of your original image of something old and enduring - a very transient image absolutely of that moment.

clouds.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Perhaps the opposite of your original image of something old and enduring - a very transient image absolutely of that moment.
Wonderful, @Bradypus. :)
It is a perfect celestial waymarker.

@stgcph , that wooden waymarker rings a vague memory bell. It was there, after coming off an overpass and turning left. But I can't remember where 'there' is. Oh, wait...passing a winery and going up a hill right before that. Somewhere before Cacabelos.
I just looked and yes, I have a pic of that too, looking less marked up:Molinaseca-Cacabelos (202).JPGDoes anyone know the verse on it?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes I believe that's about right, somewhere between Molineseca and Cacabelos; as I remember just before you get to some strange small 'swamp' with birch trees. I can't really dechiper the text.
A very rough translation: Show me Lord how best to use the time you have given me. Show me how to learn from my mistakes and not be worn down by scruples. (More or less...)

Yes, I got something like this:

Enseñame, señor
A utilizar bien el tiempo que me das para...
Y a emplearla bien sin desperdiciarlo para...
Enseñarme a sacar partido de los errores pasados
Sin caer en los escrúpolos que carcomen..

Teach me, sir
To use well the time you give me to ...
And to use it well without wasting it for ...
Teach me how to take advantage of past mistakes
Without falling into the scruples that gnaw

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you @kirkie that's wonderful!

I believe as one comes out of camponayara, one crosses on a bridge over a highway, turning left-ish, then thru vineyards (where I saw a WHITE RAINBOW!) and down into the small swamp-like area, then further on, almost to Cacabelos there is a small winery. Is it there or back by the swampish area?

Here is an oddity I spotted last month. Walking back into Fisterra from the lighthouse I happened to look back and saw this cloud formation over the cape. With the Camino very much in mind I couldn't help seeing something of the scallop shell in the pattern. Perhaps the opposite of your original image of something old and enduring - a very transient image absolutely of that moment.

View attachment 49762
Beautiful and amazing! smile

very interesting these photo contributions!:)
it is not really a mojones but a "work" done by a private person (at least I think). When I saw him he gave me a good energy and a sense of closeness to people))) it was great.

Attachments

• IMG_20180418_090216.jpg
    IMG_20180418_090216.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 123

View attachment 49762
fantastic/beautiful! Thank you for posting this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After 6 caminos I can confirm my heart lifts at the sight of a yellow flash and I am prone to following the trusty arrow even when not on a Camino. As the concrete bollards / mojones appear towards the end of the route it evokes a mixed emotion, I am both pleased that the end is near and saddened by it.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A few of my favourites. Sadly, the second one was destroyed (completely obliterated) by a vandal a couple of months ago.

Attachments

• IMG_5298.JPG
    IMG_5298.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5571.JPG
    IMG_5571.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6295.JPG
    IMG_6295.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7095.JPG
    IMG_7095.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1525.JPG
    IMG_1525.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1530.JPG
    IMG_1530.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2999.JPG
    IMG_2999.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4875.JPG
    IMG_4875.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 52
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Raggy where is that armchair?? :D:D:D

Are we speaking of people or things? ;)
If you want to take the thread off on that tangent, @Bumpa...well...sure, why not?
Bonus points for oldies standing next to oldies.;)

Thank you everyone. It's fun to see all your photos.
The snowy ones show how important a little height and color can be.
Here's one from just outside of Roncesvalles, early in the morning before it was fully light. The marker was a welcome sight!
IMG_7275.JPG

And here are the very old route markers on the Baztanes at the crossing of Belate - fortunately there are no idiots with sharpies here, either.
View media item 6958

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Raggy where is that armchair??
That armchair is a cracker!

It's on the Via de la Plata, between El Cubo de Tierra del Vino and Zamora. It's on the "San Marcial bypass," so if you want to visit the bar in San Marcial, you'll miss it.

Shortly before the sofa is an imitation Roman miliario with a huge, metal, Santiago walking staff and gourd. Unfortunately, the area is littered with these things and other stones with "happy clappy," messages in pink. Someone pointed out to me that the messages were a form of historical revisionism - glossing over the forced migration of peoples along the route by describing it in benign terms (akin to describing the slave trade in terms of "immigration to a land of dreams," but I digress). I don't often complain about way-markers because I usually want as many as possible - but I feel that these constitute a worse form of pollution than that jauntily fly-tipped sofa. (As I walked this stretch, I was singing about being alone in the new pollution). Doubtless someone will intervene to tell me why the stones with the messages in pink and the ones with the ornaments are the best things on the entire Camino ... I guess it's a question of taste. If you feel that way, I question your taste. ;-)

Shortly after the sofa is the yeller arra, which very nearly made it into my previous post. As far as I know, it's a unique folk art objet. It's certainly a favourite of some other members of this forum. I love it. If you disagree with me, that's fine ... see above.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    555.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 12.44.06.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 12.44.06.png
    222.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I 'liked' the last post without really liking it. I see the point, but think it's ugly.
Do you mean the photo with the new yellow arrow in addition to the shell? I don't need it, you don't need it, but I bet it's reassuring to see for the many first-timers who walk without map and without much of a sense of direction ... I remember aesthetically pleasing - imo at least - waymarkers along one stretch of the voie de Tours, locally sourced stone, craftmen's work, with shells on them and placed in such a way that it's obvious where the path goes; not everything that's new is bad. And yet some people felt it necessary to scratch totally not skilful looking arrows onto most of them. I concluded that some people just can't find their way without arrows ...

Last edited:
And...what do trees have against signs?:D
I would have something against signs if someone affixed one into my skin, I'm sure.
when I encounter a sign 'built' into a tree, my first thought is often something like 'oh, how lovely!' and then I remember that the tree is a living being and that the sign is an intrusion and I go 'oh, man, I'm so sorry, tree, that someone drilled a hole into you to put up this sign'.

Do you mean the photo with the new yellow arrow in addition to the shell?
Yes, exactly.
But there will always be someone who will need that arrow.

I would have something against signs if someone affixed one into my skin, I'm sure.
Indeed. My comment was definitely tongue in cheek.
We're lucky trees move as slowly as they do or we'd be in trouble given what we do to them.

Maybe we can all post our favorite pics of beat up oldies...
Or like Chris, photos of favorite oddities that are out there too, marking the way.
OK, I know it’s not one of the mojones, but I loved this on the last stretch of the Camino Portugues south of Santiago.

Attachments

• ECD88A49-BC8D-457B-B08A-09759E510E3B.jpeg
    ECD88A49-BC8D-457B-B08A-09759E510E3B.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 50
and my favourite sunrise I've had on any camino. scallop-shaped so I guess it counts? ;) it was a whole 'process' from the first pink rays on fluffy clouds to this glory. just amazing.

View attachment 49860
This photo reminds me of what I envision it will look like when the Lord returns in the clouds one day (for those who believe in the Bible). ☺

For camino Chris:
And why not? As a child, when references were generally flat, ie one word meant one thing, I envisioned the final roll call: there was Jesus in his nice off white woollen robe, and the apostles fussing around him. St Peter of course had the account book. There was definitely a passing of judgment based on the score each one had achieved. Then it was up or down. The roll call was in a place I knew, where people waited their turn for a medical appointment, semi circular, with levels like in a theatre. What on earth gave me that vision!!!
And now? No account book. I decide my own movement. It is based on a lifetime of choices made... I can't pass the responsibility on to anyone else! If there is an up or down. And here I stop, as this is not a place for this kind of discussion!

Why stop, Chris?:cool:
And...there were waymarkers )and other markers) long before our yellow arrows and they're often the ones that last. IMG_7447.JPGIMG_7242.JPG

And there were roads long before going Santiago was a thing. Am I the only one who thinks it bizarre that they would plop a mojone down right in the middle of one of the last remaining bits roman road on the Frances? Whose idea was that?
IMG_7873.JPG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Scattered along the Camino is yet another category of markers, which always make me stop and reflect for a while. As they usually have names on them, I will only post this one, which is anonymous and which is found not long before O´Cebreiro.
I suppose you refer to crosses and other memorials that have been erected in memory of someone who died? The cross on the photo is not one of them. And it's not anonymous as it says Peregrinos Identes 1991. This refers to a group who belong to the "Idente Missionaries" and who wanted to put a cross somewhere on the way to Santiago.

I think, just like elsewhere in Europe, crosses without a name and without dates on them, other than the year when they were put in place, have been erected for other reasons and other purposes than the one you are thinking of.

PS: The Idente Missionaries apparently organise a group pilgrimage to Santiago every year. See for example https://www.idente.org/mensaje-del-...la-ruta-jacobea-idente-en-su-30o-aniversario/

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One of the ‘different’ crosses was at Ligonde. My photo is not all that clear, but if you look for michaelspilgrimage on wordpress, stage 33, you will find really good photos.

View attachment 49762
Proof positive that El Camino does have miracles.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I like the scruffy one bet
I've been going through my photos from various caminos and was surprised to find the first photo from my first camino and one of the last from my most recent one were both of mojones (not that I take so many photos of them, it was just coincidence;)):

View attachment 49759View attachment 49760

I say too much here but I'm hardly an old-timer. But even in 5 caminos, change is palpable.
ter too

And there were roads long before going Santiago was a thing. Am I the only one who thinks it bizarre that they would plop a mojone down right in the middle of one of the last remaining bits roman road on the Frances? Whose idea was that?
View attachment 49899
perhaps he/she was an uncle/aunt of those who are 'improving' old routes in galicia? :p

Am I the only one who thinks it bizarre that they would plop a mojone down right in the middle of one of the last remaining bits roman road on the Frances? Whose idea was that?
Up to some point "then" it WAS the road. Until someone perhaps, luckily in my opinion, decided to fence it off and save it from being trampled upon by thousands and thousands of feet and hundreds of bicycle tyres and worse, and built a new road next to it. Even Roman roads did not last forever, they, too, needed repairing if traffic was high or for other reasons. 🤓

I don't know whether it's the same mojon but here's a photo and some comments from 2003 or so:

Calzadilla Roman road.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 49762
... and here is a view of the sky taken on September 13, 2016, just a few km west of Cirueña (between Logrono and Burgos). Taken by my buddy Jacques. I thought it was inspiring, if only pointing in the wrong direction... :)img_3506.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
. Taken by my buddy Jacques. I thought it was inspiring, if only pointing in the wrong direction... :)

:) On my most recent Camino Frances I walked at sunrise one morning with a young Hungarian man. He pointed up ahead at the pink glow on some clouds and said "Look! The sun is rising over there." I said that I didn't know Hungary that well but where I came from the sun normally rises in the east ;) The sun was actually behind us and what we saw in front was its light projected onto clouds acting like a cinema screen. :)

All lovely reminders of various routes. They are beautiful in many ways .. treasures from the past, directional markers and confirmation of you path. I too saw vandalized markers which were trying to send us back the way we came?? Why?? We were not confused luckily and continued on our route from Leon to Oviedo (San Salvador)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

View attachment 49759View attachment 49760

Pilgrim humor ;-)

Attachments

• P9140193.JPG
    P9140193.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 8

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back