A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Think about this...

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
How we handle our fears will determine where we go with the rest of our lives. - Judy Blume, author
I don't see this as a useful truism for me. The course of my life has been determined by a lot of luck and circumstances, as well as how I handle my loves, hopes, opportunities, misfortunes, fortunes, etc. Fears are there, too, I suppose, but they definitely don't predominate.

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
Camino Del Norte & part of Lebaniego 2019
I’m thinking for me this is quite true. The meaning maybe to say most people make many life decisions based on some form of fear. Basically we may not reach our full potential because we allow fear to rule our decision making process ...I am guilty of this sometimes..but I get braver and more enlightened every day😊

Learning to recognize what the fear is, maybe this is the wisdom which allows me to grow stronger every day.

Some others are Fearless- they maybe are the very enlightened among us

William Garza

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
From "Firefly"
A bloody excerpt.."you are what you do when it counts"
The only critic is the voice in our own head, which is echoing what our conscience is saying.
Shame,guilt anger and pride will surely follow unless there is the sociopathic bent to where nothing matters and this subject is moot.

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021" ... (GOD WILLING!)
We have nothing to fear but fear itself - FDR
We have met the enemy and he is us - Walt Kelly
A lighthouse in a desert, brilliant but useless - Morgan Pyne (on Twitter)
😃

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
We have nothing to fear but fear itself - FDR
We have met the enemy and he is us - Walt Kelly
A lighthouse in a desert, brilliant but useless - Morgan Pyne (on Twitter)
😃
The original statement was "like a lighthouse in a bog" which is in use here since the '60's but I was afraid not many people would know what a bog is. Never heard of Morgan Pyne.

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021" ... (GOD WILLING!)
The original statement was "like a lighthouse in a bog" which is in use here since the '60's but I was afraid not many people would know what a bog is. Never heard of Morgan Pyne.
A bog is where The Hound of Baskerville lives, right?
Of course not - I have no idea who Morgan Pyne is either...but he has the quip on one of his Twitter posts :rolleyes:

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
Of course not - I have no idea who Morgan Pyne is either...but he has the quip on one of his Twitter posts :rolleyes:
A bog is where you find peat (not Pete 😁 ) where we cut turf for the fire, found in Ireland, Scotland and other parts of Europe, and many other parts of the world too I'm sure, (just covering myself here)

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Ask FDR about this!!!:) (For those international pilgrim family members who may not be as familiar with American Presidents - Franklin D. Roosevelt)

Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
Nope, that was a Mire, Grimpen Mire. Mires in the valleys, Bogs on the hills was one differentiation I was given. Hence the renowned song; "A rare bog, a rattling bog, a bog down in the valley-o".

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
Nope, that was a Mire, Grimpen Mire. Mires in the valleys, Bogs on the hills was one differentiation I was given.
Yup.... my mistake
But then - what do I know? (Although I do know that BOG in Russian Means GOD.... which is neither here nor there as far as this thread goes :oops:)

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2019)
In NZ "the bog" it is a alternate name for the toilet (bathroom for North Americans).

I was having visions of this blinding light swinging around every 30 seconds as I was trying to sit quietly and read my newspaper! 🦄💐

Janade

Camino(s) past & future
(May 2018)
A bog is where you find peat (not Pete 😁 ) where we cut turf for the fire, found in Ireland, Scotland and other parts of Europe, and many other parts of the world too I'm sure, (just covering myself here)
Well, they sure find a lot of mummies in the bogs. Whose to say one of them is not a “Pete”? 🤣

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
Camino Del Norte & part of Lebaniego 2019
Nope, that was a Mire, Grimpen Mire. Mires in the valleys, Bogs on the hills was one differentiation I was given. Hence the renowned song; "A rare bog, a rattling bog, a bog down in the valley-o".

The things I learn on this forum 🤓😁...I knew bog but did not know mire 🙂

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
F.E.A.R. is an acronym for False Evidence Appearing Real
To put things more seriously, Fear is real, and is there to keep us alive. The important thing is to distinguish between what we should be fearful of and take appropriate steps (giant nest of wasps in the back yard - they were definitely not my imagination) versus what we shouldn't fear (mouse in the cupboard - really its only a mouse).

sugargypsy

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2019
In progress: CP 2020 and/or CI

“The only constant in life is change!”

No need to fear change,
life will change whatever we do.

Jacobus

Pilgrim since 2008
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2008 09 14
Del Norte 2011. Portuguese 2015, 2017Ingles 2015 Fisterre 2015.
How we handle our fears will determine where we go with the rest of our lives. - Judy Blume, author
You never thought you'd be alone
This far down the line
And I know what's been on your mind
You're afraid it's all been wasted time

The Eagles

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
One of the biggest dangers that we have in Canada right now is the number of people (in Alberta, largely aged between 20 and 29) who are not afraid of COVID-19, so see no point in taking precautions against it. I agree with the Judy Blume quote about how we handle our fears, but the current danger is both to and from those who do not fear or refuse to acknowledge fear, and, having acknowledged it, to take sensible precautions.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
but the current danger is both to and from those who do not fear or refuse to acknowledge fear, and, having acknowledged it, to take sensible precautions.
I would change your wording to "who do not fear or refuse to acknowledge the danger"

I think that one can acknowledge the danger of the Coronavirus without being overly fearful of it.

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
One of the biggest dangers that we have in Canada right now is the number of people (in Alberta, largely aged between 20 and 29) who are not afraid of COVID-19, so see no point in taking precautions against it. I agree with the Judy Blume quote about how we handle our fears, but the current danger is both to and from those who do not fear or refuse to acknowledge fear, and, having acknowledged it, to take sensible precautions.
I read yesterday that Covid seems to be causing hair loss in many people - I think people would be more afraid of losing their hair than of getting sick. It might make them more likely to take precautions.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
I would change your wording to "who do not fear or refuse to acknowledge the danger"

I think that one can acknowledge the danger of the Coronavirus without being overly fearful of it.
Well, I take fear to be a vital warning system for danger, although one cannot totally rely on it. I am afraid of heights, and of spiders, although I have known very little danger from either in my life. But I was somewhat surprised to find myself unphased by the close presence of a large bear on my last wilderness hike. I am reluctant to rely on the ability to recognise danger of the young people who are making the infection statistics rise in my province right now, and I would prefer that they return to the fear which kept them following safety precautions in the early stages of the pandemic. It is hard to continue to act as if one were in constant danger when all seems ordinary around us and we are no longer feeling afraid.

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2022)
This does not seem like a good message to help people cope with fears. Fear is an important emotion and should be respected and understood, not automatically denied!
Indeed, you are right. I guess this commonly quoted acronym is intended more for people who are irrationally fearful of things...

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2022)

If you want to hear it 'sung' with some wonderful Irish accents...........

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 29.0%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock