• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thoughts on Gregory Zulu 30 and Osprey Hikelite 28

ejg1890

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept-Oct 2023
Wanted to get thoughts or experience with either one of these backpacks. I plan to walk Camino Frances beginning Sept 1 for 5-6 weeks. I have read about the Zulu 30 but haven’t tried. I came across the Hikelite 28 and it fit well, however, the concerns were 1)only one access through the top, but the compartment opens up, requiring the pack to lie down if something’s at the bottom; 2)separate compartment for a sleeping bag. There’s a separate compartment for the rain cover and plenty of room for other wet gear; 3)did not appear to have a capability to hold hiking poles if I’m not holding them.

So any experience with the Hikelite 28? Thoughts? Trying to decide which way to go. Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used a Gregory Zulu 40. 16lbs and the rain covered was great. Perfect for me. Good luck.

I use the Zulu 40 and the suspension/waist belt is better than my Osprey, Deuter or Gossamer Gear bags (I have a Camino gear obsession and am in therapy) The Zulu 30 has the same suspension and I’ve considered getting it and force myself to use a smaller bag. The Zulu is really well thought out , and pockets and compartments work well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks all. I got the Zulu 30. The guy at the store was very helpful as we tried on and fitted several with about 12 pounds in each backpack. I settled on the Zulu 30 and will try it out in the field on several long path walks in out area. The newer version does not have a rain cover but will use multiple dry bags inside the back to keep items dry.

(I have a Camino gear obsession and am in therapy)
I think I just may resemble that remark 😂. Let me know if you get very far, or if there is a cure. I have bad osteoarthritis and am always searching for the lightest most comfortable for me. Will have a fun time checking out the Zulu, had never heard of it.

I think I just may resemble that remark 😂. Let me know if you get very far, or if there is a cure. I have bad osteoarthritis and am always searching for the lightest most comfortable for me. Will have a fun time checking out the Zulu, had never heard of it.
I believe that the Jade is the women's version of the Zulu.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I believe that the Jade is the women's version of the Zulu.
I bought the Jade and Gossamer gear for my daughter (I told you it was a sickness) and she likes the Jade better for the padded hip belt.

I’ve used the Gregory Zulu 30 on multiple distance walks including London to Rome last year. It work’s brilliantly and I have zero complaints. I also have an Osprey and the Zulu 40. The 30 is my favourite and I’ll take again next year. I’m just home from walking the Via Francesca Florence to Rome through the mountains and it was great. Different fit for everyone, but for me it’s like pulling on a favourite coat. Depending on the route I carry 5-6.5 kg before food and water. Lots of spare room inside and my poles also fit inside the pack for flights. Hope this helps.

Rain covers are excellent for road walking as their fluorescent colours make you nicely visible to approaching vehicles. They are also handy for when you want to sit on wet ground. They are pretty useless for keeping rain out of your backpack. You need dry sacks for that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used the Gregory Citro 30 last walk and liked it. very comfortable for me and not too heavy. I can also fit my poles inside for the flight. I'll probably bring it next walk late Sept

I tried a few Ospreys on and none fit me as well, and what I tried was quite a bit heavier.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.