• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To Poncho or Not Poncho...

SirRon

Time of past OR future Camino
May-July 2023
My Camino Frances will primarily take place in June and the first week or so in July. I have read that this is the dry season in Spain so maybe not too much rain. But I want to be prepared. I have seen the Altus Ponchos but I tend to get hot easy and those don't look too breathable.
So what would you recommend for rain protection just in case. pack cover and a light rain jacket/poncho or go with the Altus?
Thanks!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My Camino Frances will primarily take place in June and the first week or so in July. I have read that this is the dry season in Spain so maybe not too much rain. But I want to be prepared. I have seen the Altus Ponchos but I tend to get hot easy and those don't look too breathable.
So what would you recommend for rain protection just in case. pack cover and a light rain jacket/poncho or go with the Altus?
Thanks!
When walking the Camino be aware of how much weight you need to carry in your bag....so, bring a light poncho that will cover you and your bag comfortably....if it rains.....Buen Camino

When walking the Camino be aware of how much weight you need to carry in your bag....so, bring a light poncho that will cover you and your bag comfortably....if it rains.....Buen Camino
Yes I'm balancing the weight of the pack with something I might not need much but if i do need it, I'll regret not bringing it! :)

The Frogg Toggs poncho gets good reviews, and is inexpensive and lightweight.

June and July will have little chance of rain.
If you want 'just in case' rain gear, I'd just bring along one of those very light plastic ponchos.
Chances are you'll only get an occasional rain shower, if at all, so a light jacket that's somewhat water resistant might suffice when a shower passes over.
We walked the Frances in May of 2017 and had two days when we actually had to put on our rain ponchos.

If you want 'just in case' rain gear, I'd just bring along one of those very light plastic ponchos.
Chances are you'll only get an occasional rain shower, if at all, so a light jacket that's somewhat water resistant might suffice when a shower passes over.
We walked the Frances in May of 2017 and had two days when we actually had to put on our rain ponchos.
Thank you! Should I worry about a cover for my pack? I do plan to have my stuff inside the backpack in waterproof sacks so I'm leaning towards no.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you! Should I worry about a cover for my pack? I do plan to have my stuff inside the backpack in waterproof sacks so I'm leaning towards no.
I wouldn’t if you’re trying to minimize your weight.
You can always drape an article of clothing over it in a light shower.
Our packs are right at 15 pounds, which includes walking poles, a poncho, lightweight gloves, a light jacket, and a full water bottle.
Actual hiking weight will be less if we’re wearing jackets and using poles.
They say ideal weight for your pack should be around 10% of your body weight.

In Galicia you always have a good chance to get some rain, and in the mountains there's always the possibility of sudden change of weather (which can include drop of temperature, heavy rain and hail, especially at higher altitude).

If you don't want to invest in an Altus, Decathlon has very cheap basic ponchos. The ones that are open on the sides allow more air to flow. For a summer Camino that should be good enough.

A umbrella, good for rain and better for sunny days.
I am now imagining being up on the route Napoléon in a raging summer lightning storm with an umbrella as my only protection! Thanks, but no 🤣

(Edit: I met several people who were happy with their umbrellas, so don't get me wrong, it can be a solution for some, and to use them for protection from sun sounds like a good idea in summer).

Last edited:
I always bring my poncho. First time on the Camino was the end of June 2013. We had visions of using it as something to sit on while taking a break or even using it to make shade while taking a break in the treeless areas.
Unfortunately it rained most of the time so it got a lot of use. Some people prefer rain jackets and pack covers but I wonder how long it takes for the straps and waist belt of the pack to dry because those parts are fully exposed without a poncho.

We tested just about every rain gear option by walking in the rain before we left. In the end my wife and I found that the poncho - good quality Altus - was the most comfortable and gave the best protection. Lots of venting so they were not hot. They also folded tighly so took little room in the pack. In the end we walked the first three days in the rain over the Napoleon, and it never rained a drop the rest of our walk to Santiago. The ponchos did come in handy as ground cover for sitting as @Terrri said. Since the ponchos covered our packs that was not an issue. Like so many things this is aa personal choice, but that was our experience.

Rain gear will almost always make you too warm.

I personally prefer a lightweight rain jacket with pit zips and a backpack rain cover. The rain jacket can also be used to keep the heat in when I need an additional outer layer for warmth.

I don't like ponchos - they blow around too much and because they are so big - the have a lot of water on them when you take them off and want to put them back in your pack after a rain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am now imagining being up on the route Napoléon in a raging summer lightning storm with an umbrella as my only protection! Thanks, but no 🤣

(Edit: I met several people who were happy with their umbrellas, so don't get me wrong, it can be a solution for some, and to use them for protection from sun sounds like a good idea in summer).
LOL... that is why I still bring a rain jacket with an umbrella! I do love my lightweight hiking sun umbrella

Thanks!
I have used an Altus and it can get hot for sure. It does a great job of keeping you and your backpack dry. I have never walked in June so I do not know what the weather is generally during early summer. It can rain anytime that is for sure. If you get a lightweight poncho that covers both you and your backpack completely that should be all you need. If yo want to get a good umbrella that cuts down on the sun and the UV exposure I am sure that is a good idea. Better for the sun and hopefully keeping you a little cooler than protection from rain. You are outdoors and wind and rain can be strong coming from different directions.

If you don't bring it it will rain. :)

Actually, a poncho has a couple of uses. It really doesn't keep you too dry since you'll sweat buckets under it anyway. But, it will keep you warm (which is probably more important in a cold rain). Despite it being the "dry" season in Spain, it usually rains a bit. Just depends on whether the risk of being cold and wet is worth the extra weight. Also depends on whether you have baggage transfer. That way you can only carry the poncho based on the odds. But, the last time I left my poncho in my ported luggage, it rained buckets anyway.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks!
I carry a couple of emergency ponchos. The little plastic ones from walmart for 1$ super light works great in a pinch.

Thanks!
I was referred on this forum to the A Pack. It’s ultra light weight, is a jacket with a poncho back that goes over your pack, and it has armpit zippers for ventilation. I had it in two days from the designer in the southeastern USA (I’m in the west). It’s a small, but is still quite large. I think it might be the perfect solution for me!

I was referred on this forum to the A Pack. It’s ultra light weight, is a jacket with a poncho back that goes over your pack, and it has armpit zippers for ventilation. I had it in two days from the designer in the southeastern USA (I’m in the west). It’s a small, but is still quite large. I think it might be the perfect solution for me!
Do you mean the Packa?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A poncho can also can be good as tarp shelter in case you need to sleep outside.
I am planning to also bring my umbrella in June on the CF for sun and rain protection

Thank you! Should I worry about a cover for my pack? I do plan to have my stuff inside the backpack in waterp
soooo Many options that depend on your actual anxiety/comfort with long distance trekking and experience. For me in summer, I carry a Bag Cover ~ and merely Truck On In the rain. Later, I change in to dry tops whenever I stop. My experience is that while actively hiking, I generate so much heat that I quickly get as wet under a poncho as without one. I tend to step lively on Camino. So pace enters in to your considerations. On the French Way, you will be surrounded by other helpful smiling pilgrims, don’t worry. Jump in! Pack Weight IS your instant to instant concern

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
soooo Many options that depend on your actual anxiety/comfort with long distance trekking and experience. For me in summer, I carry a Bag Cover ~ and merely Truck On In the rain. Later, I change in to dry tops whenever I stop. My experience is that while actively hiking, I generate so much heat that I quickly get as wet under a poncho as without one. I tend to step lively on Camino. So pace enters in to your considerations. On the French Way, you will be surrounded by other helpful smiling pilgrims, don’t worry. Jump in! Pack Weight IS your instant to instant concern
DF37D804-3FC5-442D-908F-C7004B53CFB0.jpegE95A44E0-2758-42D7-B622-2A03163A8ED2.jpegAFCA7791-3A4F-4026-81DB-FF7D13E3B581.jpeg

Thanks!

Always poncho imo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I carry a couple of emergency ponchos. The little plastic ones from walmart for 1$ super light works great in a pinch.
Likewise, I took two ultra light emergency ponchos in March, Burgos to Rabanal, across the Meseta and Tierra de Campos. Worked great, didn’t get wet (well maybe a little, mostly feet), added a little heat (it was cold, windy & rainy) and very easy to pack & take out. The first one ripped on a windy rainy day but was big enough to wrap around and stay dry. I ditched it and it never rained again.

Thanks!
Ponchos are cumbersome and not very effective. I threw mine away after 500 miles on the Appalachian Trail, then got an umbrella. Never have rain in your face or several meters of wet fabric in a hostel or tent. Great for sun too. No regrets after 5000 miles of use.

Last edited:
The Frogg Toggs poncho gets good reviews, and is inexpensive and lightweight.
I concur. This is what we brought and it worked well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Totally agree with lite weight disposable poncho. Works well and light weight.

I concur. This is what we brought and it worked well.
Ditto. I have carried that same exact poncho before. It weighs almost nothing.
Also, for the OP. I have walked the Frances before in July where it did not rain on me one time in over 30 days. My ultralight Frogg Toggs poncho never left the backpack. Just stayed dormant at the bottom. Made for good padding for other gear, lol.

We tested just about every rain gear option by walking in the rain before we left. In the end my wife and I found that the poncho - good quality Altus - was the most comfortable and gave the best protection. Lots of venting so they were not hot. They also folded tighly so took little room in the pack. In the end we walked the first three days in the rain over the Napoleon, and it never rained a drop the rest of our walk to Santiago. The ponchos did come in handy as ground cover for sitting as @Terrri said. Since the ponchos covered our packs that was not an issue. Like so many things this is aa personal choice, but that was our experience.
Absolutely agree that the Altus is the best we’ve used after going through a range of ponchos from el cheapo to expensive. They keep you dry, cover your pack and breathe well. My only problem is that because they are generous in length, and I’m short, I look like a raspberry with feet! Lol!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had a “worker’s” yellow pack cover which had a fluro stripe. I also used it in the early morning (not before sunrise) and on overcast days when road walking as a safety measure.

Absolutely agree that the Altus is the best we’ve used after going through a range of ponchos from el cheapo to expensive. They keep you dry, cover your pack and breathe well. My only problem is that because they are generous in length, and I’m short, I look like a raspberry with feet! Lol!
This is the exact reason I opted for a rain jacket and pack cover instead of Altus. I am on Camino Frances now and it has been cool and raining since St Jean. I am just as wet inside as out, a walking steam machine! Many ponchos on trail and those folks appear to be drier. I am going to give in and try an Altus type poncho even if I need to cut off the bottom! BTW, folks are really wrestling with the plain ponchos that do not have a pack compartment as they blow around.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pack cover and lightweight, breathable rain jacket with hood and rain trousers long enough to cover the tops of my boots and keep my feet dry. This combination will keep me warm and dry in rainy and/or cold weather, without making me sweat. This is what I am taking to walk the Le Puy, the Aragones, and onward to Santiago this fall: probably not needed as much for a summer camino.

Thanks!
Simple! If you're starting at SJPdP check the weather forecast before you leave home. But make sure you have a good windproof jacket. Travel light.
BB

€46,-
To be honest I like rain haha. I'm in Georgia and the summers are plenty hot so for the most part, I'll enjoy it! But downpours can get miserable I will admit :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know this is a yearly topic that comes up on this forum when we are all getting ready to "dial in" our packs.
(Kind of like the poles on airplanes topic). :)

Just added food for thought to complicate your decision.........

When packing for any Camino or other hiking trip I always use the concept of; Whatever I pack has to have a dual option or it just doesn't go with me. This assists me with keeping my pack weight down.
As for a poncho - I always pack one ! No matter what time of year rain is always a possibility in Spain. I have been on Caminos in June, July and August and always get 1+ days of rain. It's lightweight and takes up minimal space.
The difference between poncho's and rain gear is/are poncho's breathe while rain pants and jackets are too close to your body trapping heat, thus creating sweat and the possibility of later hypothermia. A poncho can be adjusted (side snaps) to filter in more or less air as required where a rain jacket and pants cannot.
A poncho can be used as a ground cover and as a barrier on a bed in an albergue where "Chincha's" are suspected. It can also be used as a makeshift (last minute) shelter if caught outside in the elements at the end of a long day. It can also be utilized as a rescue tool to bundle someone when shock is a possibility.
Lastly, a poncho can be utilized as a pack cover, thus reducing the need to carry an additional (minimal weight) pack cover.
Hopefully this helps with decision making. Enjoy your trip !!!

Even better is to line the inside of your pack with a white trash compactor bag. They are very sturdy and keep the inside of your pack dry, not just the waterpoof bags within. A pack cover is only needed if you prefer the outside of your backpack itself to be kept dry; water weight will weigh it down somewhat in torrential rain.

Personally, I use a great big black pilgrim cape.
During the hotter summer months? Why? So many more practical options these days. For instance I ditched my old leather and rubber soled army boots years ago for the more modern, lighter, cooler technology that vibram and cordura nylon brings to the mix.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is the exact reason I opted for a rain jacket and pack cover instead of Altus. I am on Camino Frances now and it has been cool and raining since St Jean. I am just as wet inside as out, a walking steam machine! Many ponchos on trail and those folks appear to be drier. I am going to give in and try an Altus type poncho even if I need to cut off the bottom! BTW, folks are really wrestling with the plain ponchos that do not have a pack compartment as they blow around.
Don't cut off the bottom! The zip goes all the way down the front, cut it and you're stuffed!
If even the smaller size is too big put it on, grab the side seams and pull the hem up your body until you're happy with the length. Now tuck that excess under the waist band of your pack all the way round from the underside - if you push it down from the top you'll create little pockets for the rain to fill up.
Alternatively do the same thing and tie a 4ft length of paracord (that everybody laughed at you for bringing) around your waist like a monk's girdle - it's what they would have done "back in the day" - it's called "kilting".

Pack covers. Not highly effective if depending on one to be absolutely capable of keeping the interior of your backpack dry. They can most definitely help, but shouldn't be counted on.

A better strategy is assess the backpack to determine if it can be made reliably water resistant. Start by assessing the flap or zipper closure of the main compartment. Does the flap easily cover by a good margin the opening into the bag? Are the zippers covered by a flap of material? Is the backpack already treated for water repellency or is it mad from a coated fabric? If these are in place, the backpack is already pretty impervious to rain.

If the fabric is not treated (or even if it is), or does not have a interior coating, then you can remedy this.

First, use a seam seal to seal the interior seams on the backpack. Even a backpack that is already water repellant you want to check the seams inside the pack.

Next, use a DWR (Durable Water Repellant) treatment to treat the fabric of the backpack, which is easily done at home.

[The blue text are clickable suggestions of products that have good track records, but there are several reliable products that can do the job.]

Doing this will also help keep the fabric of the backpack from soaking in water and increasing its weight.

Waterproof bag liners have already been mentioned, which are big, capacious sacks that sit inside the main bag and come in different flavors, from compactor bags to ready made products designed as accessories

€46,-
During the hotter summer months? Why?
Only if it rains, in summer. It doubles as a blanket, and it's great on cooler wetter days.
So many more practical options these days. For instance I ditched my old leather and rubber soled army boots years ago
Size 14½ (US 15-16½) French army boots it is for me !! (I have need of the extra ankle support ; and they're great in wet weather and on wet terrain)

Oh wonderful Dave B! I start walking Wednesday, rain is forecast. Most of my stuff is in an ultralight dry bag, but I'm going to use a DWR and seam sealant for extra proofing. Right now.
Thank you.

Pack covers. Not highly effective if depending on one to be absolutely capable of keeping the interior of your backpack dry. They can most definitely help, but shouldn't be counted on.

A better strategy is assess the backpack to determine if it can be made reliably water resistant. Start by assessing the flap or zipper closure of the main compartment. Does the flap easily cover by a good margin the opening into the bag? Are the zippers covered by a flap of material? Is the backpack already treated for water repellency or is it mad from a coated fabric? If these are in place, the backpack is already pretty impervious to rain.

If the fabric is not treated (or even if it is), or does not have a interior coating, then you can remedy this.

First, use a seam seal to seal the interior seams on the backpack. Even a backpack that is already water repellant you want to check the seams inside the pack.

Next, use a DWR (Durable Water Repellant) treatment to treat the fabric of the backpack, which is easily done at home.

[The blue text are clickable suggestions of products that have good track records, but there are several reliable products that can do the job.]

Doing this will also help keep the fabric of the backpack from soaking in water and increasing its weight.

Waterproof bag liners have already been mentioned, which are big, capacious sacks that sit inside the main bag and come in different flavors, from compactor bags to ready made products designed as accessories
Thank you! I have an Osprey Talon but will look up info on its water resistance!
I did decide to order a very light poncho just in case. I'll watch the forecasts as my trip gets closer and see if I need to make a different decision haha.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi wunderlustesq: How did the Packa work out for you? My husband and I are thinking about getting them. Thanks!

Hi wunderlustesq: How did the Packa work out for you? My husband and I are thinking about getting them. Thanks!
Sorry, I haven't used the Packa but a couple that I walked with in 2016 did, and I thought that it was quite clever, but for the price and weight, I'd go with an Altus.
Here are the weights of the Altus
Small 325 g / 11.46 oz
Med/Lg 343 g / 12.1 oz
XL/XXL 399 g / 14.07 oz
You can order at this store for delivery to the US

No, I don't work for Altus, and I don't even have one myself, as I made my own similar rain gear, but several of my friends bought them this year, and they worked great.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.