• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Orisson to Roncesvalles

Arta

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which I worry will strain my knees (which then will make the next couple of days very uncomfortable). Is there a transfer service from Orisson to Roncesvalles by any chance? I'd rather not risk this part of the walk and take a bus down there if possible.
Thanks in advance :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which I worry will strain my knees (which then will make the next couple of days very uncomfortable). Is there a transfer service from Orisson to Roncesvalles by any chance? I'd rather not risk this part of the walk and take a bus down there if possible.
Perhaps start in Roncesvalles or if you start in SJPDP go the Valcarlos route. It is a steep downhill from the top of the Napoleon route. There is no actual "service" to get you down from the top once you walk up there.

Perhaps start in Roncesvalles or if you start in SJPDP go the Valcarlos route. It is a steep downhill from the top of the Napoleon route. There is no actual "service" to get you down from the top once you walk up there.
Yes, I just noticed that the transfer service doesn't actually go to Roncesvalles. Thanks for the suggestions :)

There is no road between Col Lepoeder and Roncesvalles.
Express Bourricot can take you to Roncesvalles but that is on the road N-135 which goes through Valcarlos. Or you take the daily bus from SJPdP to Roncesvalles.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is no road between Col Lepoeder and Roncesvalles.
Express Bourricot can take you to Roncesvalles but that is on the road N-135 which goes through Valcarlos. Or you take the daily bus from SJPdP to Roncesvalles.
Thank you :)

I misread. I thought you meant luggage.

You still should check with express B if you actually want to go from the orisson to roncevalles. Eg if you're with ppl who are staying at the orisson.
But as others advise, if solo it doesn't make sense to go that route if you can't manage it

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
“The alternate is still pretty steep going down.”

That’s the trouble with climbing totally unnecessary hills - once you’ve got up ‘em you’ve got to get down’em again 😉

I remain astonished by the numbers of people determined to b*gger their Camino in pursuit of some romantic notion and a view. A “view”! If you need a view that badly you need to change your outlook on life…

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That’s the trouble with climbing totally unnecessary hills - once you’ve got up ‘em you’ve got to get down’em again 😉
I do find it very hard to understand the business of going all the way to Pamplona then taking a bus through Roncesvalles and Valcarlos just to turn around and walk back the same direction! There are plenty of equally (or more) interesting views west of Pamplona.

as per @trecile s post - go to the right when starting the descend. it is not nearly as steep and will take you out to the road to Ibanetta. Its about 1km detour but well worth to continue walking on yoour own and not to miss the Col and the Way to it
You can do it!!!!
Good Luck and Buen Camino

as per @trecile s post - go to the right when starting the descent. it is not nearly as steep and will take you out to the road to Ibañeta.

This is the Lepoeder viewpoint, the highest point of the stage, where you can turn right and stay on a tarmac road all the way to Ibañeta Chapel. The other option to go straight down to Roncesvalles through forest is way more challenging and should not be used in bad weather

Photo: Lepoeder viewpoint
AF1QipMnk2CHVHERC526YVtYk-6MZCisb60G1dkhg07F=s0

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Some folks will tell you that it should not be used PERIOD! but of course to each his\her own.
I had a wonderful weather when I started in May 2022 and folks at the Pilgrims Office in SJPdP were very adamant to go to the right (me begins to suspect that they ALWAYS say that ;))

For those reading this thread that are unfamiliar with the two ways down to Roncesvalles from the Col de Lepoeder, there is a forest trail that is marked as the "official" Camino and also a less steep variant way leading to the Col de Ibañeta on the Valcarlos Camino variant. This latter variant follows a paved road and is marked as the "soft" or easy way. There are a number of reports on the forum from people who wanted to avoid the forest way but got confused and ended up taking it by accident (it can be nasty when foggy, raining or wet or you are tired from a full day's walking). The following thread discusses these two ways down in detail. It has a lot of maps, aerial views and pictures.

Last edited:
I think the forest way, which i took in 2022, was where i hurt my chin muscle. But then it might have something to do that i walked all the way from Orisson to Zubiri on day 2. In hindsight, not the smartest move.
That being said, the forest way is steep. Period. It is not impossible, but i understand it can be challenging, even more so during adverse weather. It is also quite nice walking through the forest.

In 2019 i walked the alternative route and remember it being noticeably easier to walk. Maybe not quite as beautiful, but still nice.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, what was said about by others about the alternate path. It's not necessarily gentle, just better than the "left" path - which is also very rocky in places as I remember. Have a reservation at Roncesvalles, take the path to the right, and go slow, take breaks. There's a jam to check in in Roncesvalles so no rush. Buen Camino!

I’m currently the other side of Burgos. I didn’t find the descent to Roncesvalles that steep, you just take your time. There will be other more challenging descents such as down into Zubiri, which is rough as well as steep. I had a sprained knee two weeks before starting on 18 April, surviving well so far. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last year my walking companion became ill at Orisson and wanted to skip a day’s walk. He had to take a taxi from Orisson Saint Jean and then another to Roncesvalles. It was expensive.

I, too, have knee issues walking down steep inclines. Two thoughts: 1. There is a road that descends from Lepoeder that is said to be less difficult than the trail through the forest. I have always taken the trail and it is very steep in places. Perhaps others can comment on the gradient of the two descends. 2. When I face a steep descent, I zig -zag down it like a skier would do on a really steep pitch. This does two things that may help your knees. It reduces the amount of downhill drop you take on each step and it changes the pressures on the knees every time you switch directions. You can use a zig-zag going uphill as well.

Also, you didn’t mention it, but do you plan to use hiking sticks? They will really help delicate knees on descents.

I had knee issues and decided to skip the Pyrenees and simply start in Pamplona.
Didn’t fully sort the issue as both knees now replaced!

Hello Arta… I am walking my first Camino Frances in September this year. While an experienced hiker in New Zealand, age and injury has made me careful about assessing my capabilities on any given day. This means that the slower way is usually my first choice. After consulting with friends I have decided to take the Valcarlos route, splitting it into 2 days. I don’t want to risk my ongoing wellbeing in pursuit of a view or an overly ambitious target right at the very beginning. Slow and steady wins the race. I am sure that I will meet other pilgrims who live at my “smell the roses” pace in these first days. Buen Camino from the bottom of the world :)

I think the forest way, which i took in 2022, was where i hurt my chin muscle. But then it might have something to do that i walked all the way from Orisson to Zubiri on day 2. In hindsight, not the smartest move.
Sorry, Anhalter, I couldn’t resist… Chin muscle!? How much talking did you do? Maybe you mean shin muscle (leg) chin is the bit below the mouth that juts out above the neck.
All the best

Last year my walking companion became ill at Orisson and wanted to skip a day’s walk. He had to take a taxi from Orisson Saint Jean and then another to Roncesvalles. It was expensive.

I, too, have knee issues walking down steep inclines. Two thoughts: 1. There is a road that descends from Lepoeder that is said to be less difficult than the trail through the forest. I have always taken the trail and it is very steep in places. Perhaps others can comment on the gradient of the two descends. 2. When I face a steep descent, I zig -zag down it like a skier would do on a really steep pitch. This does two things that may help your knees. It reduces the amount of downhill drop you take on each step and it changes the pressures on the knees every time you switch directions. You can use a zig-zag going uphill as well.

Also, you didn’t mention it, but do you plan to use hiking sticks? They will really help delicate knees on descents.
Thank you so much for this! I’ll be sure to use that technique if necessary, and I do plan on buying hiking sticks when I get there. 😊

I’m currently the other side of Burgos. I didn’t find the descent to Roncesvalles that steep, you just take your time. There will be other more challenging descents such as down into Zubiri, which is rough as well as steep. I had a sprained knee two weeks before starting on 18 April, surviving well so far. Buen Camino.
Thank you for the heads up, I feel a bit more confident. I’ve hiked up and down mountains quite a bit these last few months to prepare for this, so it won’t be entirely new for me. Buen Camino!

It descends on a hood road take your time

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back