• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport from CDG to ORLY...some advice por favor!

gypsy9

Hello soon-to-be-pilgrims

I have looked at quite a few posts regarding this info and some mention catching a shuttle bus or RER train (from terminal 2) to Orly.
I was hoping someone could give me some specific info about getting from CDG to Orly?
I have three hours once I arrive in Paris and I am really hoping customs will not be a lengthy process!
What do you think is the fastest/easiest route?
and is it necessary to pre-book tickets...
Also, Is it quicker if one just has carry-on as opposed to a check-in bag?

Thank you so much- any advice is greatly appreciated
Buen Camino!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, gypsy9,

I think the easiest way to get from CDG to Orly is on the Air France bus. It is about 20E, I think, and my memory is hazy but I think it takes about an hour. They leave regularly, maybe every half hour. You get the bus right outside the terminal, there are some that go into Paris and the Gare de Lyon, and one route that goes straight from CDG to Orly. I've bought a ticket on the Air France bus out to the airport right on board, so I assume you can do that. It may be a pretty tight connection depending on immigration and customs, but since the bus is non-stop and heads straight to Orly, I'm not sure a cab would be much quicker.

If you can bring everything as a carry-on, you save the time of waiting around for luggage, so I would definitely do that if possible. I've waited in European airports for as long as a half hour for the luggage to show up.

The RER option requires a change, which would add a bit of hassle. I'd go for the bus.

Good luck! Laurie

Hi Gypsy nine,
Everything that Laurie says is correct, except the minor detail that the fare is 16 euros. For full details of all the Paris airport bus services, see:
http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/air-fran ... le-service
bonjourlafrance is a very useful site, in English, that shows train services all over France, including the train from Bayonne to St Jean. David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
gypsy9 said:
I have three hours once I arrive in Paris and I am really hoping customs will not be a lengthy process!!
Gypsy, I am not sure that three hours will be enough. Perhaps it was the time of day I arrived, but my experiences in CDG- coming from outside of Europe- has always been that the passport control part of the process has been a frustratingly long affair, with very few passport control desks open.
Margaret

Arriving at CDG on a Sunday morning last September with no checked baggage, it took nearly an hour to clear immigration/customs and find my way outside Terminal 1. One might think that finding your way out would be quick, simple, and well-signed. One would be disappointed.

If you come in on Air France, you will be at their terminal. Keep asking, "Ou est le bus a Orly, s'il vous plait?"

You will also need to clear security once again after arriving at Orly. I'm with Kiwi - 3 hours will be a nail-biter.

3 hours should be OK to transfer from CDG to ORLY. Two years ago, we had to make the change in 01h45 around 17:00 and it worked. We had to wait +/- 20' for a bus. We took the bus at Terminal 2 (the long duo-terminal with a road in the middle). If my memory is fine, it was at section 2B
google images: plan charles de gaulle airport
I remember the place of the transfer bus in CDG is close to the MacDonalds ("Le MacDo" how the french will say). There are a lot of busses going everywhere in Paris, so look to the panel above the driver.
You will be in the bus for < 1 hour. We had some traffic jam at the end. Admire some suburbs around Paris meanwhile :-(
I think that "ORLY" is written on the ground of the place where the bus should arrive.
It's possible you will need to change terminal first. That will not take long.
You don't need to prebook, you can pay to the driver.
If you're travelling Air France to Air France, normally the transfer is free.
If you're a little too late, ask if they can reopen "the check in" because you were with the transfer bus in a traffic jam,....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Excellent posts; even though a few made my heart race given the delicate "time frame".
I am thinking: Air France bus and carry-on.

Yup, I'm gunna make it!!!! (a good mantra for El Camino, anyway, don't you think).
Thanks again for the information, this is so truly helpful. Such a wonderful forum.... :mrgreen:

Thanks Gunnar. super clear.
good that there are departures from both terminals one and two.
"Time" is of the essence...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back