• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation?

Susann503

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2019
I am a 65 yr. old female planning my first Camino in May 2019: The Camino Frances. I am confused as to the best way to get to my starting point. Where to fly into, what train and or bus to take, etc. I'm also looking for a middle age male or female to hike with. I'm quite fit,

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
HI Susan!
The good thing aout the camino is that you can choose your starting point. Have you chosen a city?
If not, how much time do you have for your walk? That may help decide the best starting point and how to get there :)

I am a 65 yr. old female planning my first Camino in May 2019: The Camino Frances. I am confused as to the best way to get to my starting point. Where to fly into, what train and or bus to take, etc. I'm also looking for a middle age male or female to hike with. I'm quite fit,
Hi, Susann, and a warm welcome to the Forum :)

Where is it that you are planning on your starting point?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello and welcome to the forum! As the others have said, you can start wherever you want. As long as you walk the last 100 km into Santiago, you qualify for a compostela. The Camino Frances starts in France at St. Jean Pied de Port (SJPP), but continues across Spain, picking up pilgrims all the way. Many start at SJPP (some have come on routes from farther away in Europe), many people also start in Roncesvalles, Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, etc. The biggest group starts in Sarria, only about 115 km from Santiago.

If you want to find a middle-aged person to walk with, stand anywhere on the route at your starting town at 7:30 in the morning, and wait 5 minutes! It is better not to make advanced arrangements with a stranger - it is much much better to meet people casually, walk awhile, walk alone in sight of others if you want, meet other people, etc.

Once you tell us where you want to start, we can give you pointers to the information on how to get there.

Just to follow up on C. Cleary’s suggestion for finding others to walk with. You want to make sure if you hook up with someone you can walk at the same pace comfortably. When you walk along the Camino you should get a sense of that in a day or two..so I agree to wait and hook up as needed. Also it is easier to part ways when you only meet on the route...should you so desire. Have a great Camino!

I am looking to travel from Madrid to St Jean this Aug and would like to know the best method to do so? train? would like to be economical.
thanking you

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Susan,

My wife and I took the train to Sarria and started walking the next day. When se arrived in Santiago we flew back to Madrid. I didn't want to fly into Santiago and take a bus to Sarria, I wanted to see it fresh. I would say the 1pm train to Lugo from Madrid.

Buen Camino
Richard

Susan,

My wife and I took the train to Sarria and started walking the next day. When se arrived in Santiago we flew back to Madrid. I didn't want to fly into Santiago and take a bus to Sarria, I wanted to see it fresh. I would say the 1pm train to Lugo from Madrid.

Buen Camino
Richard
Great advice! I would agree with wanting to see it fresh!

I am looking to travel from Madrid to St Jean this Aug and would like to know the best method to do so? train? would like to be economical.
thanking you

There are buses and trains to Pamplona. See the renfe.com website for trains. You may be able to get a tourist promo ticket for about 20 dollars if you book ahead. These tickets are usually not changeable so make sure you can make the train. It takes about three hours. The bus, which does leave from terminal four, takes over 5 hours. To get the train you can take a train to the station. See
Man in seat 61s website.
https://www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#Spain_by_train,_in_a_nutshell
BTW sometimes the Renfe website has problems printing tickets...look at alternatives that seat 61 provides for booking tickets.

Alsa.com runs buses to Pamplona bus station from Terminals nail 4 at the airport. The advantage is that you can hook up with a bus directly to SJPdP from this station, also with Alsa. The train station is on the edge of the city so you would take a quick axi to the bus station.Also you would have to take a train from the airport to Madrid to catch the train.

You have to seewhat works best for you!

Personally, I like the train and five hours on a bus after an international flight is too much for me. We are taking a cab From Pamplona to SJPdP. It is costing 100euros unless other pilgrims hook up with us. Have a great Camino

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Look down. See those things at the end of your legs, they are called feet. Stamp them up and down a few times, pamper them with good shoes, clean socks and regular balm rub and they will pretty much take you any where you want to go.

Now look at your hands, strong capable hands, stick that thumb out and you can attract a ride, flick those digits across a screen and you can order tickets, a bed, or pizza, your choice.

Look in a mirror, see those eyes, imagine what you have yet to see with those eyes. If you want a travelling companion then flick those eyes on a likely suspect and ask them if they mind sharing the road with you. If it doesn't work out, them know that that steely determination behind those eyes will see you through.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back