• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tweak my Itinerary! CF March 2016

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
I have only 17 walking days between Burgos and SdC.

This was just a short walking trip that I planned---it's the only time period this year when I'm not teaching, traveling, doing family stuff, or farming. I would love to know what YOU would do for this short walk.

I'm taking a train north to Burgos first, and then will walk some parts, taxi some parts.

Which parts would you walk again, between Burgos and SdC?

Which parts would you skip?

I'd love your opinion.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ha! I know---I'm still infatuated with CF! In 2017 I'll walk VdlP--and/or Norte.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I got out my book and thought about it. The trick is to keep it simple so you are not spending much time trying to coordinate with buses and trains, in which case your non-walking sections dominate the walking ones. Here's an idea...

Walk from Burgos to Fromista, and get a taxi at the end of Day 3 to Carrion de los Condes (3 days). Walk to Sahagun and get a train in late afternoon to Astorga (2 days). Walk from Astorga to Santiago (11 days). One day to play with, but if the train/bus connections aren't convenient you might need to use a taxi.

Now back to my own itinerary quandaries!

Ha! I know---I'm still infatuated with CF! In 2017 I'll walk VdlP--and/or Norte.

CaminoDebrita:

One of the most important aspects of any Camino, imo, is continuity. That said, I would concur with starting in Leon and walking from there. You should be able to complete in 17 days.

If you are open to other options, why not walk the Primitivo?

Ultreya,
Joe

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Deb,

As others have said, starting from Leon is the simplest option. However, since you want to start in Burgos, I suggest that you (a) plan to skip some of the Meseta and (b) decide on the point from which you want to walk continuously to Santiago.

Ponferrada is about 9 days' walking from Santiago, so that might be your answer to point (b). There are plenty of trains and buses from Leon to Ponferrada. There are buses from Ponferrada to Villafranca (and the various Camino villages in between), should you decide to start walking there. If you find you have more days to play with, Astorga is also a good starting point (as @C clearly suggests) and would allow you to revisit Rabanal and Cruz de Ferro.

If it were me, I think I would:
  • Get a bus from Burgos to Tarjados to take 12kms off the first day
  • Structure my next couple of days to ensure a stay with Antonio at En El Camino in Boadilla (if you want a private room at that point, their Casa is amazing!)
  • Arrange a taxi ride from En El Camino the next morning to give a good head-start on a day of walking. Antonio's dad is the taxi driver and he's an interesting man.
  • Take a train to Leon from either Sahagun or El Burgo Ranero.
  • Review your start point for stage (b) when you get to Leon. It's easy to get to Ponferrada or Astorga from there.
And if it were me.... I would also take immense pleasure in revisiting and revising this plan! For example, I'm already thinking that I would hate to miss the walk from la Vergen del Camino to Vilar de Mazarif, or the walk out of Vilar de Mazarif where the change in landscape and wildlife really signals the end of the Meseta. You might have other unmissable moments from last time, or diversions that you wished you had taken.

A lot may depend on the weather conditions - a good plan might be to use transport on days that the weather is really awful, and see how this works out.

Happy planning!

Nuala

Last edited:
I too am all for continuity and no taxis
Brierley has 21 stages between Burgos and Santiago and a few of them are only 20km so how about walking longer each day - surely it will still be easier than farming

If I were you I would just start walking in Burgos and see where it gets you in 17 days. I am also a believer in continuity and
would certainly not skip any part of the meseta. Maybe you won't reach
Santiago, but why be bothered? It's just another town along the road..

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you all for your opinions!

A few comments to them:

--I walked CF in October 2015 with no buses or taxis, and while I think that it is *fine* to do that, I wanted to experience it all--the continuity for sure, all of the towns, all of the pain, all of the joy, etc. In other words, while I value all of that, there are a few stretches of the CF that I love "less" than the Meseta.

--The weather in Galicia will most probably be wetter and grayer than parts of the Meseta, so I am electing to pass some parts over so I can walk in some sunshine. Let's see how that works out for me.

--This time, I have made a preliminary decision to take a train from Madrid to Burgos; a few reasons for that include my love of train-ride, and also, I love the Meseta. The reason I wanted to start in Burgos is because I am fascinated with the big sky, the huge view. I find that the enormity of view is like the ocean--so vast and beautiful, and it reminds me that in the grand scheme of thing, I've very small, and my imagined problems even smaller.

--While I'm not invested in getting a compostela this time around, I'm walking with a friend, and I'd like to see her get one, so from Sarria onwards, it will be walking all the way.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, and I will be giving all of them a lot of thought and attention.

Hi Deb -

If you do go from Burgos and plan to stay at Castrojeriz, a BEAUTIFUL place to call into, and spend some time in, is the Hospital of the Soul. It's in the "main drag" - No. 22, from memory, on the right hand side as you go through the town. There's a lovely painted sign to identify the building. Did you go there last year? It's a beautiful home and gallery, owned by Mau and Nia, who welcome all into their home. It's a haven of peace with a collection of stunning photographs and quotes. There's a garden out the back which is so peaceful - you won't want to leave!

Between Hospital de Orbigo and Astorga you'll find the wonderful David at Casa de los Dioses - did you call into see him last year? Meeting David was one of the highlights of my Camino in 2012. There are tons of youtube clips featuring David on the net if you want to check them out.

As you're walking with a friend (am I right in guessing this will be her first Camino?), experiencing the hospitality of both Mau and Nia at Castrojeriz, and David at Casa de los Dioses, will be so very special for her, and indeed for you both.

Have you posted any more of your videos Deb? I did a search but it doesn't seem as though you have. If you have, I apologise for missing them - I've been running around like a sunstruck dingo here in Sydney for weeks now - chasing my tail and not achieving anything!

I hope that all's well with you and I send my best, best wishes -

Take joy in every step -
Jenny xxx

Hi Deb -

If you do go from Burgos and plan to stay at Castrojeriz, a BEAUTIFUL place to call into, and spend some time in, is the Hospital of the Soul. It's in the "main drag" - No. 22, from memory, on the right hand side as you go through the town. There's a lovely painted sign to identify the building. Did you go there last year? It's a beautiful home and gallery, owned by Mau and Nia, who welcome all into their home. It's a haven of peace with a collection of stunning photographs and quotes. There's a garden out the back which is so peaceful - you won't want to leave!

Between Hospital de Orbigo and Astorga you'll find the wonderful David at Casa de los Dioses - did you call into see him last year? Meeting David was one of the highlights of my Camino in 2012. There are tons of youtube clips featuring David on the net if you want to check them out.

As you're walking with a friend (am I right in guessing this will be her first Camino?), experiencing the hospitality of both Mau and Nia at Castrojeriz, and David at Casa de los Dioses, will be so very special for her, and indeed for you both.

Have you posted any more of your videos Deb? I did a search but it doesn't seem as though you have. If you have, I apologise for missing them - I've been running around like a sunstruck dingo here in Sydney for weeks now - chasing my tail and not achieving anything!

I hope that all's well with you and I send my best, best wishes -

Take joy in every step -
Jenny xxx
Thanks, Jenny dear!

I have not made any more yet--I think I'm up to # 7 for the next one? I have to get busy and do that. I have been doing a lot of substitute teaching to get some money pooled for my trip to Spain, and some busy life things have kept me pretty occupied as well. I shall soon be back on the youtube clips, as I love making them! I do have all of my videos and photos in an album here--look for Caminodebrita's album : ) Thanks so much for your interest.

Deb

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, Jenny dear!

I have not made any more yet--I think I'm up to # 7 for the next one? I have to get busy and do that. I have been doing a lot of substitute teaching to get some money pooled for my trip to Spain, and some busy life things have kept me pretty occupied as well. I shall soon be back on the youtube clips, as I love making them! I do have all of my videos and photos in an album here--look for Caminodebrita's album : ) Thanks so much for your interest.

Deb
Hi Deb - cheers and thanks. I'll check out your album.
Take joy in every step -
Jenny xxx

Have walked from Porto to Santiago, very different but well worth the trip. From what I hear, all Camino's are worth it, there's always some adventure and experience worth the trip. Good luck,Pat.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back