• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata in April?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Joe and I have tried several times to walk the VDLP and always, something happens. The last time, the COVID pandemic hit and we were forced to return to the USA in a rush.
We're trying to figure out WHERE we want to walk this coming year before picking up our group in Pamplona.

We've walked two of my favorites, the Aragones and the Madrid, several times already, and were thinking maybe we'd try finishing the VDLP again??? But it does end far from Pamplona and this would be April (Need to be in Pamplona by April 27/28)

Also considered the Ignaciano - but that first section in the mountains may not be smart in April. Maybe head out on the 2nd part from Logroño early April?

I don't know.
Anyone have any ideas?
Has anyone here walked the VDLP in April?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
have tried several times to walk the VDLP and always, something happens.
I can relate to this Annie. We are planning to walk the VdelP, finally, starting first half of April. We may start in Seville or, if we have time constraints, in Zafra or Merida, picking up where we finished the Mozarabe.

From what I’ve read, April is an excellent time to walk the VdelP and I know many on the forum have walked at that time. I am sure some of them will be along to comment any time soon. And maybe we will see you on the path. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Vdlp in April is perfect. But so is the Mozárabe from Almería. How long would you be walking? I think that trains and buses are so good in Spain that you can get almost anywhere in a day, and surely anywhere in two days.
Thanks Laurie. We can leave whenever we want but just need to be in Pamplona by the 27/28 April to pick up my group. I'll check out the Mozárabe again as well. Would like to walk at least 2 weeks, but am open to more.

Thanks mods, for moving the post. Sorry I'm still not too computer/forum literate.

Thanks Laurie. We can leave whenever we want but just need to be in Pamplona by the 27/28 April to pick up my group. I'll check out the Mozárabe again as well. Would like to walk at least 2 weeks, but am open to more.

Thanks mods, for moving the post. Sorry I'm still not too computer/forum literate.
Hi Annie - I haven't walked from Almeria, but can vouch for the Mozarabe from Granada to Merida - or from Cordoba if you have less time. We loved it. We walked in May 2015 and it was already getting a bit hot. April would be great I imagine.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am retiring May of 2024 and I want to walk the VldP or the Mozarabe sometime in the winter/early spring of 2025. Phil is unsure he will be up to it at age 74 and he will likely plan some other activity in Spain instead (going to school, volunteering, etc.) where he could possibly join me on for certain shorter stretches. (No bag transport in the winter/early spring and long walking stages at some points and he's struggled for two years now with stamina to walk longer stages especially with hills despite personal training and regular fitness activity each winter.)

I hope you will post some Live from the Camino reports. I've never yet walked a Camino by myself.

I agree that if you end your walking in a reasonably large town that you can get to Pamplona in 1 or 2 days. You can take the AVE train from Zamora if you decide to end there and then transfer stations on the Cercanias train in Madrid for a train to Pamplona probably in one day. Looks like there is also a connection from Merida by train. Also looks like more direct train from Salamanca. (I can't see any transfers on that one.)

I am "thinking" of either the VdLP or the Madrid in the spring, but prefer to be gone only 3-4 weeks. If doing the VdLP I would be taking some busses or trains to skip certain sections. Oh dear!...no purist or compostela for me.
If my broken arm improves enough I'd love to consider something as early as mid-October into November, but have no idea "what" it would be, and my wheels are only beginning to turn now. 🤔

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am "thinking" of either the VdLP or the Madrid in the spring, but prefer to be gone only 3-4 weeks. If doing the VdLP I would be taking some busses or trains to skip certain sections. Oh dear!...no purist or compostela for me.
If my broken arm improves enough I'd love to consider something as early as mid-October into November, but have no idea "what" it would be, and my wheels are only beginning to turn now. 🤔
No running at the train station this time though...:eek:

I also think Granada to Merida would be good. I have heard that walking from Almeria involves a lot of river bed walking. If you start in Granada do you avoid that?

Hola Chrissy. Always fun to be thinking of your next camino and beyond. Hope your arm will be right again soon. I understand your thinking about the vddlP - not that I am a purist but we have put it off in previous years when we didn’t have 6 weeks available. Also loved the Madrid Way. That was less than two weeks for us but you arrive in Sahagun so lots of options from there to extend your walking. 😎

We will be back on the Frances from mid October this year - last time I walked the Frances was 2013. It was my first and second camino and has a special place in my heart and I have a yearning to walk it again. We don’t like the busyness we’ve seen over the years when we have intersected from other quieter paths, so we have chosen October / November due to lower numbers. I’m very excited to walk this path again and discover how it feels to me 10 years on.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Joe and I have tried several times to walk the VDLP and always, something happens. The last time, the COVID pandemic hit and we were forced to return to the USA in a rush.
We're trying to figure out WHERE we want to walk this coming year before picking up our group in Pamplona.

We've walked two of my favorites, the Aragones and the Madrid, several times already, and were thinking maybe we'd try finishing the VDLP again??? But it does end far from Pamplona and this would be April (Need to be in Pamplona by April 27/28)

Also considered the Ignaciano - but that first section in the mountains may not be smart in April. Maybe head out on the 2nd part from Logroño early April?

I don't know.
Anyone have any ideas?
I walked the Vdlp from Seville mid March through mid April 2023. Weather was great... never too hot, never too cold. I didn't get rained on until the day I crossed into Galicia! It definitely wasn't busy, except for Holy Week which was a blast. Distances between towns can be longer than other routes I've walked before... a mature walking contingent...

Oh, my FAVORITE is the Madrid route. Segovia! The church at Wamba! Gorgeous walking. I've done it several times and would love to do it again. And so easy to fly into Madrid then just walk.
It sounds great, Annie. Thanks for your opinion based on your own experience and you have walked many Caminos. I will spend time researching the Madrid camino more seriously!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I don't know.
Anyone have any ideas?
Also hoping to do the VDLP in April
from Seville. Will watch thread with interest!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I don't know.
Anyone have any ideas?

Yes, walked the VdlP this April. Really enjoyed it and the weather was great.
Warm in the late afternoons, but OK.
What would you like to know?
I have a daily blog that might help you get a sense of what it's like.
What kind of daily distance are you comfortable with?
And you would need to pick a start point, as you might not have time to walk Seville to Astorga.
That would be about 690 kms.

Last edited:
From what I've read in the past on this forum, if you finish up in May...it will definitely be hot!
Yes it’s quite a hard one to plan from a weather standpoint… trying to avoid the rain in North and not too much heat in South. Just remembered I did the ‘first stage’ Seville to Guillena at end of April this year when I was there for someone’s birthday weekend! Will redo it tho!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, walked the VdlP this April. Really enjoyed it and the weather was great.
Warm in the late afternoons, but OK.
What would you like to know?
I have a daily blog that might help you get a sense of what it's like.
What kind of daily distance are you comfortable with?
And you would need to pick a start point, as you might not have time to walk Seville to Astorga.
That would be about 690 kms.
I've walked to Caceres twice, so would pick up there, or nearby
Thanks for the blog - I'll check it out!

I also think Granada to Merida would be good. I have heard that walking from Almeria involves a lot of river bed walking. If you start in Granada do you avoid that?
Yes, but then you also miss the fabulous hospitality and albergues of the Almería Association. They take care of you from Almería to Granada, and after that there is really no group coordination or any albergue system to speak of. Almería to Granada has association albergues (built and maintained by them) throughout that stretch. The few days of river bed walking are totally compensated, imho, by some great scenery and great people from the amigos.

Having read a lot of your sentiments about hospitality, @J Willhaus, I'm pretty confident that you are kindred spirits with those wonderful folks in Almería and you would love it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the VdlP this spring, selectively, as it was my second time through and I did not have enough time left to complete the route again after serving as a hospitalera through Easter. This fall I am walking the Madrid, to the Frances, to the Invierno for the second time. I am looking forward to it, although there are some challenges with closed albergues on the Madrid and higher prices almost everywhere. And I seem to have forgotten most of my Spanish, which could be a challenge on the Madrid.

Yes, starting from Malaga on the Mozarabe and finishing on the Sanabres.

I think I started April 2 and reached SdC May 15. More rain than I would have expected which generated thick mud which stuck to the soles of my boots and was very slippery. I encountered the same kind of mud on the Aragones a few years later.

Apart from rain and mud I really enjoyed it

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the VdlP this spring, selectively, as it was my second time through and I did not have enough time left to complete the route again after serving as a hospitalera through Easter. This fall I am walking the Madrid, to the Frances, to the Invierno for the second time. I am looking forward to it, although there are some challenges with closed albergues on the Madrid and higher prices almost everywhere. And I seem to have forgotten most of my Spanish, which could be a challenge on the Madrid.
I loved the Madrid and have walked it several times. Don't miss Wamba church, the Semana Santa Museum, or Segovia. Love that stretch!

I don't know.
Anyone have any ideas?
I walked this year starting in Sevilla April 19. The first couple of weeks were HOT, then it got cold and windy. The terrain isn't difficult by and large, but the stages are long without stops for water or food and no way to make them shorter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife, son in law and I walked from Almeria to Granada this past March. Yes, the first couple of days you walk up a dry, dusty river bed. But the local people are great. I took a short siesta on top the riverbed wall and was rudely awakened by a nearby homeowner. He was bringing us a huge bag of the sweetest, jucy oranges ever. The municipal albergues are great and the support by Nely of la Asociacion Jacobea del Camino de Almeria Granada Camino Mozarabe is fantastic. As was the weather. Buen Camino

Well, yes. Twice you leave the flat river bed to walk up, up, up above the river gorge, then down steeply. Trekking pole or poles advised. Buen Camino

I don't know.
Anyone have any ideas?
I found it getting hot in 2018 in April. Peak times about 2-3pm start early

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Annie, walked last year from Cadiz to Astorga April 22. Cold st the start, flowers were out and the scents heady, Semana Santa was in the middle and St George's day in Caceres. Snow on the mountains, the arch at Caparra, the mineral baths at Banos not to mention Salamanca. Not sure on your daily distances but Caceres to Astorga is a nice 3 week walk or as suggested as far as Zamora which is a reasonable hub for getting to Pamplona. Happy choosing !

I don't know.
Anyone have any ideas?
Yes, I started in mid April and it is beautiful. Spring creeps north at the same pace as you walk, the birds are migrating from Africa, flowers blooming. Outside of Sevilla the land is warming and that spring pheromone kicks joy into gear. I walked the 1,000km at times seeing only 1or two others for days at other times spontaneous dinners of 20 would ignite.
Salamanca is beautiful, make sure to walk around the university, cathedrals and market squares everything is pink with fabulous buildings and a dramatic history.

I don't know.
Anyone have any ideas?
I walked the VdlP in April and May 2023. I left Sevilla Easter Sunday 9th April. Absolutely no problems. A little warm for for 1st week or 2 leaving Sevilla then very pleasant temperatures and no rain. No problems with accomodation

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I too walked in April/May this year and found the weather excellent. A few hot days in the first week or two, but nothing that a little planning (early starts and plenty of water) cannot overcome.

Yes, I walked the VDlP starting in late April,. The weather was mainly fine and often hot, but it has been known to rain at that time of the year, sometimes a lot. As we headed into Galicia we had some very cold mornings with frost as well.

If you do start the VDLP again in Caceres make sure you have some extra time to wander the medieval streets. Or even try the Tuk-Tuk

Attachments

• IMG_4094.jpeg
    IMG_4094.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4093.jpeg
    IMG_4093.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh, my FAVORITE is the Madrid route. Segovia! The church at Wamba! Gorgeous walking. I've done it several times and would love to do it again. And so easy to fly into Madrid then just walk.
Just start thinking about Camino Madrid for next April. Is there a backpack transport service there? 10 years ago we could carry our backpacks, now, unfortunately, no longer.

Just start thinking about Camino Madrid for next April. Is there a backpack transport service there? 10 years ago we could carry our backpacks, now, unfortunately, no longer.
No backpack transport on the Madrid route as far as I know. We are toggling beween the VDLP and the Madrid route in April 2024. Still have not decided.

Me too, Annie! I have read a lot about La Plata, but don't know so much about the Madrid route.
I ended up deciding not to do either. Covid kicked my butt last year and I have lost all stamina so I'm simply going to walk the CF for a month, taking my time and working up from short days. I think Joe is doing the Ignaciano.

I LOVE the Madrid route, though... I think it's prettier than the VDLP - and shorter! lol! And you get to see Segovia.

I will look into the Madrid then. Do you have a blog of your walk?
I have a couple that might help, Jill. I've walked it and portions of it several times over the years, but I usually don't blog it. Things not to miss, in my opinion, are the church at Wamba (call the night before to schedule a visit) and the Semana Santa museum in Medina de Rioseca. Also take a rest day in Segovia. Here are some links:

Simancas to Cuenca: https://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2016/04/to-cigunuela.html
Madrid to Cignuela: https://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2014/05/in-madrid.html

Hi Jill. If Annie doesn’t, or in any case, I’m happy to send you the link to mine, if you’d like 😎
Pelerina, I'd love a link to your blog. It's been a few years since I walked the Madrid route.
Camino Chrissy sent me her plan but I'd love to see how you did.
When did you walk it?

Pelerina, I'd love a link to your blog. It's been a few years since I walked the Madrid route.
Camino Chrissy sent me her plan but I'd love to see how you did.
When did you walk it?
Hi Annie

We walked the Madrid Way in September 2018, followed by the Salvador. I'll send you a link to my blog by PM.

Some comments I've read on the forum from people who have walked more recently are at odds with our experience in relation to accommodation and waymarking. I can understand that accommodations may have changed - and it certainly wasn't plentiful, but there weren't many walkers either. From memory, the only place we booked in advance was Segovia. For others we just arrived in the town and went to the local albergue or the bar that held the key.

As to the waymarking, we thought it was generally excellent. We didn't have an app or tracks, but we did have a PDF copy of the CSJ Guide. The only time we went off piste was leaving Tres Cantos. We set off full of energy without a care in the world. Had I taken the time to read the notes in the CSJ Guide, I would have seen an all important sentence and we'd have taken a right not a left. Other than that, we thought the way marking was as good as any and better than most.

We tend to be 'turn up and go' pilgrims - we don’t do a lot of research - which suits us but it did mean we missed a few 'side trips’ that others have taken and recommend. Not that it mattered. The Madrid Way is one of my all time favourites - and my husband agrees. We both loved it.

Happy New Year.

Hi Annie

We walked the Madrid Way in September 2018, followed by the Salvador. I'll send you a link to my blog by PM.

Some comments I've read on the forum from people who have walked more recently are at odds with our experience in relation to accommodation and waymarking. I can understand that accommodations may have changed - and it certainly wasn't plentiful, but there weren't many walkers either. From memory, the only place we booked in advance was Segovia. For others we just arrived in the town and went to the local albergue or the bar that held the key.

As to the waymarking, we thought it was generally excellent. We didn't have an app or tracks, but we did have a PDF copy of the CSJ Guide. The only time we went off piste was leaving Tres Cantos. We set off full of energy without a care in the world. Had I taken the time to read the notes in the CSJ Guide, I would have seen an all important sentence and we'd have taken a right not a left. Other than that, we thought the way marking was as good as any and better than most.

We tend to be 'turn up and go' pilgrims - we don’t do a lot of research - which suits us but it did mean we missed a few 'side trips’ that others have taken and recommend. Not that it mattered. The Madrid Way is one of my all time favourites - and my husband agrees. We both loved it.

Happy New Year.
Hi Pelerina,
Oh i love both the San Salvador and Madrid, both are beautiful routes with amazing scenery to boot. I enjoyed the solitude of walking alone on the meseta on the Madrid which before embarking was a little afraid of long solo stretches but somehow i thoroughly enjoyed it. It was just perfect meeting up with a handful of pilgrims and sharing our experiences at the end of the day. Many surprises pop up and lots of history along the route. Of all the Caminos i have done these two stand out being the most memorable ones. At the moment i'm planning on the Vdlp start in 17/18 April this year.

Buen camino all, maybe our paths crosses someday

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back