• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking time from SJPP to Borda

Kobe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, September 2022
There is a chance I will be arriving on 8/31/22 by train to SJPP at 3:20pm from Bayonne if I am not successful finding earlier transport. I am wondering what may be an average time involved with walking up the "slope" to Borda? The check-in time there ends at 6:30pm. I will also need to make my way from the train station to the pilgrim office befo re embarking on the grand adventure.
Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a chance I will be arriving on 8/31/22 by train to SJPP at 3:20pm from Bayonne if I am not successful finding earlier transport. I am wondering what may be an average time involved with walking up the "slope" to Borda? The check-in time there ends at 6:30pm. I will also need to make my way from the train station to the pilgrim office befo re embarking on the grand adventure.
Thanks!
Do you already have a reservation at Borda?

I would write to them to let them know your plan, and that you might not make it by 6:30.

I've stayed at Orisson three times, but I don't remember exactly how long it took me to walk up there as I wasn't in a hurry. I do know that it took me longer than my normal 5 km/hr pace.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sounds stressful. Not how I would want to start my Camino. I’m not going to say impossible but will be difficult. Why not stay the night in SJPdP, a lovely little town.

I am wondering what may be an average time involved with walking up the "slope" to Borda?
I worked out an estimated walking time of 3 hours using Naismith's Rule (really a rule of thumb). Borda is 8.5 km from SJPdP and the elevation gain looks to be about 800 m. Naismith assumes a flat walking speed of 5 kph (3 mph). Doing the math you get 3 hours. Adjust for a different walking speed.

Simplified some, at a walking speed of 5 kilometres per hour figure 12 minutes a kilometer plus an additional minute for every 10 metres of ascent.

Last edited:
Hi.
Last year I started from SJJP at 14:10 and arrived 17:54 at Borda , a stop at Orrison of about 30 min was included.
Walking duration was 2:34

Its easy to contact the owner to announce your later arrival.
Dinner started at 20:00

Buen camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'd suggest starting the next morning. It's hard to know how long it will take you. I was slooow my first few days. And Borda is so lovely, it would be a shame to miss the special dinner there. Moreover, at least for me, it would be an incredibly stressful way to start my Camino feeling rushed to get somewhere. The lovely man who runs Borda is a one man show and he sticks to a tight schedule as he does everything (checking in, cooking, cleaning) by himself. The result is a really magical first night experience.

Sounds stressful. Not how I would want to start my Camino. I’m not going to say impossible but will be difficult. Why not stay the night in SJPdP, a lovely little town.
Haha, yes - I agree! I will be arriving in Bayonne ~11am but wanted to think through a "worse case" scenario. I'm staying a few nights in Paris to help with the jet lag.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Newbie as I was I left SJPdP at 8:00am and I was at Orisson at 11:00
taking it very slow, stopping for pictures and definitely had at least 30-min break (was tired, listened to my body so stopped for a spell, finished with that, turned around the corner and Albergue Orisson was RIGHT THERE!!!!....LOL)
So - anywhere from 3-4 hours on average should be OK..

It took me 3:45, but with many breaks. I set out from SJPDP at 8:00 and arrived at Borda at 14:50.

I would suggest spending the night in SJPDP for a stress free start.
14:50 - 8 = 6:50.... a little bit confused by your calculation and perhaps you didnt mean those numbers?

Hi.
Last year I started from SJJP at 14:10 and arrived 17:54 at Borda , a stop at Orrison of about 30 min was included.

Buen camino
Thanks. I have e-mailed Laurent in case I experience any delays.

taking it very slow, stopping for pictures and definitely had at least 30-min break (was tired, listened to my body so stopped for a spell, finished with that, turned around the corner and Albergue Orisson was RIGHT THERE!!!!....LOL)

14:50 - 8 = 6:50.... a little bit confused by your calculation and perhaps you didnt mean those numbers?
Guess walking time , excluding rest time ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do you already have a reservation at Borda?

I would write to them to let them know your plan, and that you might not make it by 6:30.

I've stayed at Orisson three times, but I don't remember exactly how long it took me to walk up there as I wasn't in a hurry. I do know that it took me longer than my normal 5 km/hr pace.
Yup - have a reservation and have e-mailed Laurent. Thanks!

Haha, yes - I agree! I will be arriving in Bayonne ~11am but wanted to think through a "worse case" scenario. I'm staying a few nights in Paris to help with the jet lag.
Have you looked at Express Bouricott for transport from Bayonne?

Hi.

Buen camino
Good to know - thanks. Absolutely do not want to miss that dinner bell!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I worked out an estimated walking time of 3 hours using Naismith's Rule (really a rule of thumb). Borda is 8.5 km from SJPdP and the elevation gain looks to be about 800 m. Naismith assumes a flat walking speed of 5 kph (3 mph). Doing the math you get 3 hours. Adjust for a different walking speed.

Simplified some, at a walking speed of 5 kilometres per hour figure 12 minutes a kilometer plus an additional minute for every 10 metres of ascent.
You gotta love the scientific folk!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Those numbers are straight from my Apple Watch. When I said many breaks, I meant it. :)

4D070F75-1037-4857-8E4B-388FC614F42C.jpeg

Since you're going from the station to the pilgrims office first, I doubt that you will have enough time to make it Borda in the limited time you have. The pilgrims office told me it would be about 3 hours to Orrison and that was just about right for me. and Borda is a bit further. You can always try to call them, but you might miss the meal if you arrive later.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@hawkeyepierce - I am not very APP savvy... perhaps it somehow calculated the actual walking\moving time in which case I can understand. otherwise (simple math-wise) it did not make since to me (start 8 finish 14:50 thats 6hrs 50 mins to me)
but.... small semantics! SLOW AND STEADY :)
buen camino

Thanks!
I’d say, nope! I have no idea how fast you walk but it also depends on the weather. Best thing is to phone the albergue Borda 🙂

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Maybe take a taxi to Orisson and then stroll up to Borda. Given the time pressure, you may be tempted to go to fast. It is a steep incline. Start your walking camino from Orisson and don’t start your camino under pressure and risk blisters and injury trying to get there in time!

Maybe take a taxi to Orisson and then stroll up to Borda. Given the time pressure, you may be tempted to go to fast. It is a steep incline. Start your walking camino from Orisson and don’t start your camino under pressure and risk blisters and injury trying to get there in time!

Not a bad idea. Or maybe to Huunto ( a bit lower down)
It will give you an extra hour or two.......

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Why not cut out a day in Paris and leave for SJPDP a day earlier? Note you can also take the high speed train to Bayonne and connect to a regional train to SJPDP.

I spent a couple days in Paris on my way to the Camino as well but found I didn’t enjoy them as I was too excited/anxious to get walking.

The 2:35pm train from Bayonne arrives at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port not at 3:20pm but at 3:37pm. It will take you 10-15 minutes to walk to the Pilgrim's offce so you will be there at 4pm. Be aware that there can be a waiting time at the pilgrim's office, this can take you another hour or more.

If you are taking your time in Paris, why in such a hurry at the start of your Camino? Skip one day in Paris and travel one day earlier to Bayonne/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.
The weather in the mountains is unpredictible and you will probably walk alone in the late afternoon (as most pilgrims start early in the morning) so if you come into trouble maybe there is nobody to help you.

Or try to change your reservation at auberge Borda (and if you have: your reservation at Roncesvalles) to the next day. Or skip your reservation there in auberge Borda, stay a night at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, take your time, meet other pilgrims, have a nice meal together with them, go to bed early and start the following morning early. Then you can walk the full distance to Roncesvalles in one day.

I will be arriving in Bayonne ~11am but wanted to think through a "worse case" scenario.
Express Bourricot is your friend! Caroline can take you to SJPP much earlier than that afternoon train. But she requires a booking and may be full. But it's worth a check.
Trying to rush up there after the long train journey? Just no. That's putting way too much pressure on yourself.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why not cut out a day in Paris and leave for SJPDP a day earlier? Note you can also take the high speed train to Bayonne and connect to a regional train to SJPDP.
Great idea! This is what I did, but I was coming coming from Madrid. You still get to deal with the jet lag but you also get a chance to go through your packing and pick up any gear you need that you may have left at home or just forgot.

It took me 2h2m to get to orisson. I am a very fast walker. I would say, arriving, walking to the Pilgrims Office, having a look at SJPDP and getting to Borda in 3h timeframe might be possible but will be very stressful.

Express Bourricot is your friend! Caroline can take you to SJPP much earlier than that afternoon train. But she requires a booking and may be full. But it's worth a check.
Trying to rush up there after the long train journey? Just no. That's putting way too much pressure on yourself.
Thank you! I have put in a request.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your wonderful suggestions and advice. I made TGV and Auberge Borda bookings late spring when there was a mid-day TER departure from Bayonne, which they have since discontinued.... Ah, yes. We can chalk this up to the "best laid plans" of limited creatures. I will trust the Camino to provide at this point. Also, my thumb is in good working condition!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It’s a 5 min walk from Orrisson to Borda!

I have a question regarding pilgrim's passeport: can someone please tell me, if I have already a blank pilgrims passeport on me arriving at SJPDP, do I need to check in at the pilgrims office or is a stamp enough to record my beggining of the route? An if yes, where else than at the pilgrims office can I get one in SJPDP?
I would also start like Kobe plans, get from Bayonne and start walking to Borda at around 1.30 pm....
Thanks, guys

I have a question regarding pilgrim's passeport: can someone please tell me, if I have already a blank pilgrims passeport on me arriving at SJPDP, do I need to check in at the pilgrims office or is a stamp enough to record my beggining of the route? An if yes, where else than at the pilgrims office can I get one in SJPDP?
I would also start like Kobe plans, get from Bayonne and start walking to Borda at around 1.30 pm....
Thanks, guys
You don’t ‘need’ to check in at the pilgrim’s office; any stamp from your starting point is sufficient if you’re pressed for time. Any cafe or bar will have a sello.

(Personally; I’d go to the pilgrim’s office and pick up their latest albergue list)

€46,-
Thanks, guys
I had a passport that I bought from Ivar and the Pilgrims Office stamped it without any problem. A trip to the Pilgrim's Office is well worth it, as @henrythedog indicated. Not only will you get the updated list but they will also advise of the latest conditions on the way to Roncesvalles and it's an experience on its own.

Last edited:
if I have already a blank pilgrims passeport on me arriving at SJPDP, do I need to check in at the pilgrims office
As earlier replies have stated, no. But do check in at the office to get a weather report. You may see great weather but they may see a severe lightning storm in your future.

Thanks, guys
I contacted "Visit Bayonne" and they confirmed that there are no mid-day trains or buses to STJPP. They gave me this number for a taxi service: (+33) 05 59 59 48 48.

ua1907, If you ned a ride share on 8/31 let me know!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks!
I also slept at Borda in April (a fantastic hostel). with 75, I am no longer the fastest and needed exactly 3 hours to Orisson, where I took a break and then another 20 minutes uphill to Borda. Normally you don't have to pay in advance at Lorenzo (unlike Orisson). Lorenzo is a very nice host and if you explain your situation to him and offer to pay the accommodation price (47€) in advance, I am optimistic that he will accommodate you regarding the arrival time.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I also slept at Borda in April (a fantastic hostel). with 75, I am no longer the fastest and needed exactly 3 hours to Orisson, where I took a break and then another 20 minutes uphill to Borda. Normally you don't have to pay in advance at Lorenzo (unlike Orisson). Lorenzo is a very nice host and if you explain your situation to him and offer to pay the accommodation price (47€) in advance, I am optimistic that he will accommodate you regarding the arrival time.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Very kind of you to offer your advice. I have 3 hours as a comfortable ball-park ascent time. I am fairly fit. It is difficult to gauge the real-time situation from across an ocean! I am honored by the support of folks on this forum.
Our traveling concerns give greater appreciation for those pilgrims 1000+ years ago who took their first step on blind faith. Not THAT can be considered intrepid!

@Kobe Your travel date is rapidly approaching - we're you able to make arrangements with Express Bourricot or a taxi company?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Kobe Your travel date is rapidly approaching - we're you able to make arrangements with Express Bourricot or a taxi company?
I've been in touch with the "Visit Bayonne" folks. I have a sense they are the equivalent of the city's chamber of commerce. I inquired if it would be best to call ahead for a taxi via the phone number provided. They replied that I could contact the company in the morning of the day in question but assured me that "you will be fine." So. We will trust in the traveling gods. I will let everyone know how things turn out. Hopefully this could be a resource for fellow pilgrims for future reference. Thanks for checking in!

Just to clarify: Express Bourricot is not a taxi company. They are a kind of commercial car pooling company, well established and widely known, especially for passenger transport from Biarritz airport / Biarritz & Bayonne train station.

Their price varies between €98 and €19 for such a trip, depending on whether you are the only passenger or whether more than one pilgrim has contacted them to reserve a place. Current last minute offers on their website at the time of writing:

August 31 Biarritz Airport- St Jean:​
  • 11h from 19€
  • 14h00 from 48€

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.