• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with grandma exercise plan

debra

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP 2010, Frances 2010
Via Francigena 2014 bicigrino
Way of St. Francis 2017 bicigrino
Hi
Back again. I live about 1500 miles away from grandma but about 14 weeks until flight. She walks about 1/4 mile or more daily right now with no pack. Does this sound like a a sane plan? On camino walk 10-15 KM a day so 6.25-9.4 miles a day. I in no way want her to over do it and get hurt but want her walking enough for camino not to be a shock to system causing problems.

Four different walks to be done for variety and strength building.

1.Walk up past the garden, then turning to drive to Loafer Hill and walking to end of Loafer and back. About 1/2 mile with 100 elevation gain and loss on dirt.
Out house door

2. Walk up to well and back. About 1/2 mile with 100 elevation gain and loss on dirt overgrown path.
Out house door

3. Walk around Greenhorn Lake. About 3/4 mile on paved mainly flat trail.
Drive three miles from house

4. Walk around outdoor loop at YMCA in Yreka. About 1 mile flat on dirt.
Drive two miles from house

Week one, six days a week, walk one walk in morning.

Week two, six days a week, walk one walk in morning and one walk in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks.

Week three, six days a week, walk one walk in morning and one walk in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks. Ever another day walk two loops in morning.

Week four, six days a week, walk two loops in morning and one walk in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks.

Week five, six days a week, walk two loops in morning and one walk in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks. On afternoon walks carry pack with 5 pounds.

Week six, six days a week, walk two loops in morning and one walk in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks. On morning walks carry pack with 5 pounds.

Week seven, six days a week, walk two loops in morning and one walk one loop in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks. On morning and afternoon walks carry pack with 5 pounds.

Week eight, six days a week, walk two loops in morning and one walk two loops in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks. On morning and afternoon walks carry pack with 5 pounds.

Week nine, six days a week, walk three loops in morning and one walk two loops in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks. On morning and afternoon walks carry pack with 5 pounds.

Week ten, six days a week, walk three loops in morning and one walk three loops in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks. On morning and afternoon walks carry pack with 5 pounds.

Weeks eleven to fourteen should be the same as week ten.

Use hiking poles please and on all walks take a water bottle and drink water. Please walk the paved loop at Greenhorn at least two times a walk as about 25% of route is walking on pavement.

Thank you for your time
Debra

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Debra, I do not know your grandmother and whether she has any physical issues that might warrant an adjustment to your plan. Setting up a a training program for someone else that you are not seeing regularly can be tricky. Assuming she has clearance from her physician, might there be a local trainer who she could meet with and discuss your goals, her current fitness, as well as giving feedback regarding your plan? Perhaps she could meet with the trainer, every week or two to assess her progress? Wishing you both a buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Unfortunately I am very well aware of the problems with setting plans for other you don't set regularly.

I love the idea of meeting with a trainer but in a small town of 6,000 people I don't know if there are any trainers.

My big question is does that plan look realistic? and is the plan of being able to walk 6-10 miles a day in 14 weeks sound realistic?

If she’s healthy, in the 14 weeks before you go, I would say that she needs to be able to walk 6-10 miles on a regular basis, in her boots and with whatever pack she plans to carry, if any (ship ahead day to day is available). You didn’t mention age, the group I walked with ranged from 59 to 66 but we walked regularly and ended up doing much longer distances in our packs. Getting some Hill time will also help as well. I walked with an 82 year old German man and he made me look like the Camino rookie I was. Getting in shape will build her stamina and, her confidence. Best of luck, Buen Camino!

She is 84 and in good health.
By that I mean she walks well but not a ton.

My poor plan above would have her walking daily for the four weeks before walking about 6 miles daily with her pack but no longer walks so thinking about adding a few longer walks.

Debra

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Debra,

The two most important aspects of camino: footwear and backpack. If she is comfortable with both and walks regularly she will be fine.

Beware that neither of you walk a camino before the camino.

Buen camino to you both.

@debra you don't want her injured before you start. It is not as simple as building muscle. As I've aged wear is much more of a problem. So I would not try for any longer walks.

It would not be too difficult to arrange bag transfer from Burgos because I'd be planning to overnight in basically every place available, at least for the first week - Tardarjos, Hornillos, Hontanas and Castrojeriz. So you would only be getting your bag carried from one town to the next. Then, if she can manage mule-killer hill, after Castrojeriz, she's a champion and getting to Itero is quite far enough after that effort!

This is a fabulous thing you are doing together - do enjoy it! Buen Camino to you both.

Are you sure you want to go on a walking trip if your grandma only walks quarter of a mile with no pack now? She needs to have a good, physical base especially at 84 and she is not going to get that in 14 weeks. Why not travel on buses and walk around the towns and day walks if she is up to it. I think she will even find this exhausting.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It's not clear to me how many km she will be walking daily at the end of your training plan.

The key factor is how keen and committed she is to the training, and to the goal. Is she taking initiative to get out and walk? Keep trying anyway, and have Plan B for your time in Spain.

She would be walking 4-6 miles a day

One resource to look at are training schedule for running on the internet.You can modify it down to your needs and change the speeds.

The one I used basically had runs during the week with long walks/runs on the Sunday. Monday was off and Saturday was off. At your Grandma's age I would suggest maybe Thursday off as well. The training is building muscle and ligaments with the ligaments taking longer.
I think the twice a day is good just not the day after day.

I will guess that your Grandma at 84 puts you into the 40 years younger. You have not run into the stupid way your body reacts to things like, I get a scrape and it is there 4 days later. My Granddaughter with her perfect 6 year old skin gets a scrape and she can't find it two days later.
Fit of shoes, fit of pack and quick action on rub points are critical to any enjoyment she is going to get out of this adventure.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From a quarter of a mile to nine miles in fourteen weeks is actually ambitious - unless she’s capable of more than a quarter right now. When I trained for the 100km Oxfam Walk I was advised to increase my distances by no more than ten percent a week. Luckily I was starting with a high base number - but I can attest to the approach. It worked well. Maybe find out what grandma can actually manage now - it might be more than the quarter.
If it’s not, be prepared to shorten your distances by taking busses or taxis and then enjoy the towns. That will still be special.

Hi
Back again. I live about 1500 miles away from grandma but about 14 weeks until flight. She walks about 1/4 mile or more daily right now with no pack. Does this sound like a a sane plan? On camino walk 10-15 KM a day so 6.25-9.4 miles a day. I in no way want her to over do it and get hurt but want her walking enough for camino not to be a shock to system causing problems.

Four different walks to be done for variety and strength building.

1.Walk up past the garden, then turning to drive to Loafer Hill and walking to end of Loafer and back. About 1/2 mile with 100 elevation gain and loss on dirt.
Out house door

2. Walk up to well and back. About 1/2 mile with 100 elevation gain and loss on dirt overgrown path.
Out house door

3. Walk around Greenhorn Lake. About 3/4 mile on paved mainly flat trail.
Drive three miles from house

4. Walk around outdoor loop at YMCA in Yreka. About 1 mile flat on dirt.
Drive two miles from house

Week one, six days a week, walk one walk in morning.

Week two, six days a week, walk one walk in morning and one walk in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks.

Week three, six days a week, walk one walk in morning and one walk in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks. Ever another day walk two loops in morning.

Week four, six days a week, walk two loops in morning and one walk in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks.

Week five, six days a week, walk two loops in morning and one walk in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks. On afternoon walks carry pack with 5 pounds.

Week six, six days a week, walk two loops in morning and one walk in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks. On morning walks carry pack with 5 pounds.

Week seven, six days a week, walk two loops in morning and one walk one loop in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks. On morning and afternoon walks carry pack with 5 pounds.

Week eight, six days a week, walk two loops in morning and one walk two loops in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks. On morning and afternoon walks carry pack with 5 pounds.

Week nine, six days a week, walk three loops in morning and one walk two loops in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks. On morning and afternoon walks carry pack with 5 pounds.

Week ten, six days a week, walk three loops in morning and one walk three loops in afternoon make sure to take lunch and break between walks. On morning and afternoon walks carry pack with 5 pounds.

Weeks eleven to fourteen should be the same as week ten.

Use hiking poles please and on all walks take a water bottle and drink water. Please walk the paved loop at Greenhorn at least two times a walk as about 25% of route is walking on pavement.

Thank you for your time
Debra

Can she walk more than .25 miles/day now? If so and she's just not doing it, then I would say she should start with 2 miles per day now. That's not that much. The pack is a bigger concern. I'm in my 60s and, having had 2 surgeries last year which has decreased my muscle tone quite a bit, even I'm concerned about carrying a pack for any distance. I'm doing my best to get back in shape, and the Camino is a part of that goal, but I am going to look into pack moving services (sadly, very sadly) just in case it turns out to be more than I can handle. BTW, those folks that say she should be walking 6-10 miles already are not keeping in mind that most of the way, there are very short day alternatives. But I once couldn't get into a municipal albergue because I hadn't hiked far enough that day! That seemed to me against the meaning of the Camino --- even those who are sick or weak should be able to do their own Camino. If that means only a few miles per day, then that should be ok. Those on bikes were allowed to stay! But with an 84 year old with you, I can't imagine anyone turning you away!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
IShe would be walking 4-6 miles a day
If she is walking 4-6 miles most days (might be a good idea to take a rest day once a week) at the end of her training, I'd say the Camino is certainly possible. But go prepared to modify your plans.

Keep in mind that the main goals of this project (both preparation and carrying it out) are for both of you to enjoy the time together, and for her to have a goal that inspires physical and mental activity. Welcome whatever adjustments make your journey more comfortable (e .g. private accommodation, taxis, buses, pack transport, etc.) If you decide that 2 days walking is enough, or 2 hours per day, that is still OK. Get a bus or train to Santiago or somewhere else, and enjoy it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
But with an 84 year old with you, I can't imagine anyone turning you away!!
Depends on the hospi! Our 85 year old recovering-from-spinal-surgery Grandpa did two 25km days in a row last year and was absolutely shattered when we got to an albergue just before noon where they allowed bag dropping but did not open until 5pm. Grandpa was desperate to lie down - even on the hard church pew in the reception area but the very officious hospitalero could not allow this, not even for five minutes or else he’d have to make exceptions for everyone who turned up.
Poor old Grandpa had to climb the hill to the town where we found a cafe for him to sit in for as long as was polite....then we switched to another cafe....all the way to 5pm. He had a shower, went to bed and didn’t move again until we were woken at 6 the next morning. Actually, grandpa didn’t rouse then as he is stone deaf and we were going to let him sleep until 7:30 as kick-out time was not until 8am but our zealous hospi personally took it on himself to perform wake-up operations on anyone who had not climbed out of their sleeping bags by 6:15.
I think this guy was in the wrong job.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am very keen to read your reply re the actual parts of the Camino you are planning to walk (climb?). You do not mention (in this post) how many days, or kilometres/miles, you are planning to walk or the stretches that you will cover. There are many 10 km parts that would really test your Grandmother, for a variety of reasons. For example: elevation, path surface, path width and sharing the path with others, including cyclists. Then there are the factors of weather, the day or days beforehand (fatigue accumulates), soreness, feeling below par due to a cold or an upset stomach, how well she has slept and so on. These factors can't be accurately planned for at this point but need to be kept in mind as they will play a big part in the conditions your grandma is likely to face. There is sound advice above re using the resources available to modify your Camino to suit your Grandma's needs, however please let us know if you have sorted out the number of days for actual walking and the terrain you are likely to meet. Best wishes for all aspects of your planning and for your shared Camino itself. Your obvious concern for your Grandma's physical fitness and well-being will ensure that you both will set out to enjoy this wonderful experience.

Last edited:
@Avenelite I think Debra has posted before in other threads and she is now planning to start with her Grandmother in Burgos. Here is one of the posts with more information.

@Avenelite
I did post in an earlier thread about the planned trip for this camino. I thought I would get better information about exercise by posting a new thread. We plan to walk 25-28 days at 10-15KM a day with some bussing. We are looking at starting in Burgos(500km) or Sahagun(380km) or Leon(320km), that will be decided in about 10 weeks based on her feelings about walking then, with bussing two sections being Cruz de Ferro and O Cebreiro hills(55km). She walks better today than 12 years ago but hard hills are not in her wants.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We all do our own Camino, I hope she enjoys hers and you, yours, and your time with her.
Buen Camino.

@Avenelite
I did post in an earlier thread about the planned trip for this camino. I thought I would get better information about exercise by posting a new thread. We plan to walk 25-28 days at 10-15KM a day with some bussing. We are looking at starting in Burgos(500km) or Sahagun(380km) or Leon(320km), that will be decided in about 10 weeks based on her feelings about walking then, with bussing two sections being Cruz de Ferro and O Cebreiro hills(55km). She walks better today than 12 years ago but hard hills are not in her wants.
Thanks so much for this reply. And yes, I should have realised from your opening "Back again", that you had posted before. Once again, very best wishes for a wonderful Camino experience with your Grandmother, regardless of where you start.

@Avenelite I think Debra has posted before in other threads and she is now planning to start with her Grandmother in Burgos. Here is one of the posts with more information.
Thanks 'Kanga' for your prompt contribution. I'll use your link. (Debra has also replied and I appreciate her added information).

€46,-
Hi Debra,

I think that you mentioned that Grandma lives in a pretty small town? Is it possible that there might be a Camino community near her? Are you in the US? Maybe there is an American Pilgrims on the Camino chapter nearby. If so, it might be possible that she could connect with someone who could help her train.

If you consider a seven hour drive near by then yes but that is not near by for her, I do wish that was not the case.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back