• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning: Jacotrans

pepi

Time of past OR future Camino
Last: Sept 2022
next 🤷
I am currently walking the CF and I have to use the backpack forwarding services due to medical reasons (2 stents inserted only 10 days before departure). I sent Jacotrans an Excel sheet with my full schedule and my room bookings and received a reasonable offer to transport my pack all the way from my starting point (Pamplona) to SdC.
Upon confirming, I received a tag to print out just hours before starting my Camino. The tag showed my name, customer number and my phone number, as well as all stations of my journey. Unfortunately I had no time to check the 30-odd destinations listed on the tag, trusting that my Excel sheet would be carefully transscribed.
To my dismay, Jacotrans did not follow my reservations at all; example: my list said that the bag should go from El Acebo to Ponferrada, instead it landed in Villafranca de Bierzo. My frantic calls we met with stoicism, “non comprende”, and plain hanging up. Finally, the receptionist of my small hotel explained them the problem in Spanish and was offered two solutions, either picking up my pack on the following day in Villafranca or having it sent to Ponferrada by taxi with a 55 Euros charge. The first option being out of questions as the pack contains all my med’s.
No apology neither, as Jacotrans blamed me for not having double checked.
This I did after my pack was taxied to Ponferrada and to my surprised, it contained 2 similar further mistakes on my remaining schedule.
There is no central responsible unit of Jacotrans to address a complaint, as it is organized as a coop between independent regional units, thus I have no way to demand a refund of the taxi money, nor would I have the option of turning to another service since I have prepaid until Santiago.
My recommendation is not to book for the entire trip but just from one location to the next one, so that the regional Jacotrans rep can be held responsible, also allowing to switch to another service provider.
I personally will never use Jacotrans again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have used Jacotrans from time to time over the years while I was suffering from a foot problem. I gathered pretty quickly that they were a service focused on transporting packs in local regions.
I would highly recommend them highly for daily transport.
I have seen previous posts from Pepi on the Forum and I respect his point of view but I think he may have overthought his pack transport.

I am currently walking the CF and I have to use the backpack forwarding services due to medical reasons (2 stents inserted only 10 days before departure). I sent Jacotrans an Excel sheet with my full schedule and my room bookings and received a reasonable offer to transport my pack all the way from my starting point (Pamplona) to SdC.
Upon confirming, I received a tag to print out just hours before starting my Camino. The tag showed my name, customer number and my phone number, as well as all stations of my journey. Unfortunately I had no time to check the 30-odd destinations listed on the tag, trusting that my Excel sheet would be carefully transscribed.
To my dismay, Jacotrans did not follow my reservations at all; example: my list said that the bag should go from El Acebo to Ponferrada, instead it landed in Villafranca de Bierzo. My frantic calls we met with stoicism, “non comprende”, and plain hanging up. Finally, the receptionist of my small hotel explained them the problem in Spanish and was offered two solutions, either picking up my pack on the following day in Villafranca or having it sent to Ponferrada by taxi with a 55 Euros charge. The first option being out of questions as the pack contains all my med’s.
This I did after my pack was taxied to Ponferrada and to my surprised, it contained 2 similar further mistakes on my remaining schedule.
There is no central responsible unit of Jacotrans to address a complaint, as it is organized as a coop between independent regional units, thus I have no way to demand a refund of the taxi money, nor would I have the option of turning to another service since I have prepaid until Santiago.
My recommendation is not to book for the entire trip but just from one location to the next one, so that the regional Jacotrans rep can be held responsible, also allowing to switch to another service provider.
I found them to be great. Although I would never book my whole Camino and bag transport in advance. I only ever book a day or so ahead. I found that when I rang them they remembered me, and I had no issues being understood. I thought that being so local was a bonus.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have used Jacotrans from time to time over the years while I was suffering from a foot problem. I gathered pretty quickly that they were a service focused on transporting packs in local regions.
I would highly recommend them highly for daily transport.
I have seen previous posts from Pepi on the Forum and I respect his point of view but I think he may have overthought his pack transport.

Like you I've had occasion to use them over the years.
Always found the service 100% reliable, though I was only ever booking 1 day in advance.
I think they operate over 4 different regions as 4 different businesses effectively.

Each region has a different phone number for bookings.
You only notice when the 'collection tags' at accommodation reception areas change

You can see on their website.

A pity to hear they screwed this up but I can see how it happened.
Maybe the first company takin the booking should have said "we can take your bookings up to X point"

It was 2017, although it was an error on my side, Jacotrans "corrected" it promptly without a question. I've no hesitation engaging it again.

A side note: "each division or district" of Jacotrans charges their fees differently It appears the closer to SjD is charging less.

amaWalkers Camino have been using Jacotrans from St Jean to Santiago since 2010 and have found all if the franchise services to be reliable and accommodating. We always check the tag templates before printing them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry to hear of your mishap with jacotrans.
However, I support previous messages saying not to book the whole journey at once but on a day to day basis.

Another thing in your story worries me quite a bit.
Just ten days after getting two stents you start such a challenge?

Wow! 😲

Writing from experience as I got two stents, too, about 8 yrs ago I was not really able to walk long distances after just 10 days.
I did a rehab cure first (4 weeks) under medical observation.

My cardiologist told me not to fly for the first 3 months.
After 3 months of time I had gained enough strength and stamina to do the camino.
And only after another examination and the go of my cardiologist.

You seem to be quite adventurous.
Take care and stay safe.

My advice : walk slowly.

Buen camino

I’ve used CORREOS twice, in 2019 on the Norte, and this year on the Francés, and they were great - no issue at all. Each time, I bought the subscription for the entire route for ~€150. You do NOT have to decide the entire route in advance. As long as you specify by 8:00 PM the night before, you are good to go for the next day. I usually did 3-4 days in advance. If you change your plans, you can easily edit your schedule right on the website. You can also schedule a “rest day” at any point. It worked flawlessly. AND, there is NO LIMIT to the number of stops you can make. This year, I had 46, for an average of €3.25 per transfer. I would recommend CORREOS to ANYONE. It’s ONE OUTFIT, NATIONWIDE and, in my opinion UNBEATABLE. You can buy subscriptions for shorter segments as well. I AM NOT SURE IF YOU CAN USE THEM RANDOMLY HERE AND THERE OR NOT. Since I paid in advance, there was no issue of using cash or envelopes.

i have used Jacotrans previously for two
Caminos from approximately Pamplona to Santiago. Never a problem. This year I used the WhatsApp to message Jacotrans. Again, everything went off like clockwork, and I had documentation just in case of a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found the baggage transportation services excellent for daily point to point service. An itinerary would have never worked for me.

Dear Pepi I feel your grief. I have used Jacotrans on numerous occasions on each Camino I’ve walked, unfortunately the transport service is managed by regions across the Camino each one covering about 7-8 stages. Last year I had to use them every day following my accident on the Camino I fractured my shoulder and tore my elbow so I couldn’t carry my rucksack and it’s was 3euros each day but that might have increased given the current climate. Unless you have already paid upfront each Albergue holds envelopes for pilgrims to use where you complete with name number collection point and albergue name destination, you can use them as hoc or not and just put the 3euros in the envelope. However this information might be too late if you’ve already paid but I used to call the every day from my location and tell them my rucksack needed collecting and what the destination was. The other choice is the Spanish postal service which I used for my last seven days and they were even cheaper and more efficient.
Good luck and Buen Camino Keith

Two things:

Never separate yourself and your meds. You need a small day pack for water, meds, and anything else that you cannot live without. Mine weighs about 6 pounds with 3.5 pounds of water. Never know that it is there until I need a drink.

The post office (Correos) is great. You can book the entire trip and make changes anytime and as often as you desire. Plans can change ant they are very flexible. Changes can be made on line (in English) anytime before about 6pm the night before a scheduled pickup. This year I had absolutely no problems. 5 years ago there was one time that my scheduled stop was closed for repairs (this was before you could get reservations in albergues). I checked my email and found a notification that my pack was delivered to a nearby albergue about 100 meters from the place that I planned to stay. The post office gets my vote every time!

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ve used all the services ant some point over the years for one reason or another. I have found them all excellent but not without incidence as nothing is perfect. I found them all responsive. Jaco trans once delivered to the wrong place, but quickly remedied the situation. Correos did not pick up a bag once and did go and get it and Jaco Trans did not pick up from a hotel once. They retrieved it because I had the WhatsApp message proving that it was arranged. Honestly, I stilll believe all their services are excellent. My advice is to always do it in writing (website, WhatsApp, email or to take a picture of the envelope you filled out.)I also put an apple tag in my bag so I can see where it is.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I’ve used CORREOS twice, in 2019 on the Norte, and this year on the Francés, and they were great - no issue at all. Each time, I bought the subscription for the entire route for ~€150. You do NOT have to decide the entire route in advance. As long as you specify by 8:00 PM the night before, you are good to go for the next day. I usually did 3-4 days in advance. If you change your plans, you can easily edit your schedule right on the website. You can also schedule a “rest day” at any point. It worked flawlessly. AND, there is NO LIMIT to the number of stops you can make. This year, I had 46, for an average of €3.25 per transfer. I would recommend CORREOS to ANYONE. It’s ONE OUTFIT, NATIONWIDE and, in my opinion UNBEATABLE. You can buy subscriptions for shorter segments as well. I AM NOT SURE IF YOU CAN USE THEM RANDOMLY HERE AND THERE OR NOT. Since I paid in advance, there was no issue of using cash or envelopes.
I used them too and booked way in advance. In the tool I had to pick the drop off in the drop down tool so if there was an error it was all me. I did good though and printed it and had it laminated so I could hang from suitcase wit a caribiner. It was 3 pages so I would make sure the correct page was on top as I went. Wonderful service!

Like you I've had occasion to use them over the years.
Always found the service 100% reliable, though I was only ever booking 1 day in advance.
I think they operate over 4 different regions as 4 different businesses effectively.

Each region has a different phone number for bookings.
You only notice when the 'collection tags' at accommodation reception areas change

You can see on their website.

A pity to hear they screwed this up but I can see how it happened.
Maybe the first company takin the booking should have said "we can take your bookings up to X point"
I echo these sentiments. I was about to reply but see this post with exactly what I was going to say re good service and separately run entities of the same company.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think this criticism is a little harsh. You should have checked the schedule from Jacotrans before you set out. I and my walking group have used Jacotrans many times since 2016 and we have never had a problem - bags always collected and delivered as arranged. We are currently on the CF and again using Jacotrans who are providing an excellent service.

We used Caminofacil - costs a bit more but fantastic service.

The only issue was one I caused myself when I dropped a rest day but forgot to update my itinerary online -- they handled it very well, though transporting my bag to the very next stop.

I could access support via WhatsApp - and I seem to remember that they responded in English although I could have used Google Translate for Spanish.

I spontaneously used Correos, due to bad back and they were great.
Booked on line and could make last minute changes on line until night before.

Pepi, I am really sorry you have had the problem. On your own admission you did not check, so the onus is on you. Small consolation, but a lesson dearly learned. Don't lock yourself in, take heart from the positive reports and good ideas that your post has generated. Take care, don't undo the good work of the medics who inserted your stents, and buen camino...

We started using Jakotrans during our first camino in 2015. My wife developed knee pain and we used Jaco trans from Carrion de los Condes to Santiago day by day for my wife's backpack transport.

We hiked CF again in 2017. This time we stayed in private rooms. I sent Jacotrans our hiking plan long before our trip. We received the hang tag and carefully checked to make sure their dates and locations were correct. I paid in advance for my wife's backpack and we received a nice (25%) discount.

Our third CF was 2019 and once again Jacotrans provided flawless service.

We wanted to avoid the heavy pilgrim traffic during a Jubilee year, so planned to hike our fourth CF in 2020. We made advance reservations with Jacotrans and paid the discounted rate for the entire camino. But then COVID pandemic halted everything. Jacotrans said no problem, we would just apply the credit to our fourth CF, which was last fall.

Last fall, I decided I no longer needed to prove I can carry my backpack the entire CF, so we both used Jacotrans. Once again, Jacotrans's service was terrific. With regards to communications, we had one primary contact and his responses were always timely. I would not hesitate to use Jacotrans again, but next fall, I plan to hike Camino Portuguese, so will use a backpack transport service in Portugal.

Bob

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I doubt that I would ever use Jacotrans or any other such service, and this type of story illustrates why, nevertheless - - I would say that one lesson here would be keep the basic essentials, such as sufficient meds, maybe a clean pair of undies etc in your daypack in case of mistake or emergency.

I’ve used all the services ant some point over the years for one reason or another. I have found them all excellent but not without incidence as nothing is perfect. I found them all responsive. Jaco trans once delivered to the wrong place, but quickly remedied the situation. Correos did not pick up a bag once and did go and get it and Jaco Trans did not pick up from a hotel once. They retrieved it because I had the WhatsApp message proving that it was arranged. Honestly, I stilll believe all their services are excellent. My advice is to always do it in writing (website, WhatsApp, email or to take a picture of the envelope you filled out.)I also put an apple tag in my bag so I can see where it is.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is an apple tag?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used Correos in Portugal. Jacotrans in spain. No problems with either; once my bag was sent to a nearby restaurant as there was no one in the albergue until 5ish in the afternoon. The restaurant were watching for me...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I found them to be great. Although I would never book my whole Camino and bag transport in advance. I only ever book a day or so ahead. I found that when I rang them they remembered me, and I had no issues being understood. I thought that being so local was a bonus.
AGREE! You never know until the day of, if your destination will be your destination, book the day of and appreciate the local service!

Pepi, I am really sorry you have had the problem. On your own admission you did not check, so the onus is on you. Small consolation, but a lesson dearly learned. Don't lock yourself in, take heart from the positive reports and good ideas that your post has generated. Take care, don't undo the good work of the medics who inserted your stents, and buen camino...
I used Jacotrans in 2010 for 42 days without a hitch. Im walking now for four days and using their services. I think they are fantastic. I think an excel sheet might have been too too complicated. It’s all very simple. 5 euros in the envelope, destination and your name written in the front of the envelope pinned to your Nicholas. At the front by 8:00 am. I admit it’s lesson in trust. So sorry for your frustration.

Used Caminofacil for two Caminos. Did both day-to-day and multi-stage reservations with only one missed delivery, which they fixed quickly and hassle-free. Highly recommended. Excellent, reliable service.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Used Caminofacil for two Caminos. Did both day-to-day and multi-stage reservations with only one missed delivery, which they fixed quickly and hassle-free. Highly recommended. Excellent, reliable service.
Thank you for the ad, though personally I've never needed backpack transport despite my old bones.

A strange experience that has left me confused and disappointed. I dealt with CAMILO TRANSPORTE DE MOCHILAS PORTOMARIN. However, the tags I was told to use came from Jaco.

This service does NOT transport your bags from Sarria to Santiago. He gets them to Palas de Rei, and then contracts with someone else who takes them from that point. Beyond that, he’s not responsible, he says. So imagine our disappointment when we arrived to Santiago to find that our bags weren’t at our accommodation, but were at some bar, the address of which he didn’t send us. We were unable to locate a bar by the name he provided so tried a pension with that name. We arrived at the address we found on Google and then was nothing there. By this time, we were frantic and reached out again. Finally he sent an address. Then we had the great pleasure of walking uphill for 15 minutes, climbing dozens of stairs with our luggage in tow. We asked them to send a cab for our bags; they refused and said they were “sorry”. The good job they had done up to that point was completely undone by their failure to coordinate their delivery with our host. Camilo assured me over and over again prior to our arrival that everything would be “fine”. In the end, it wasn’t.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.