• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What food did you ENJOY on your Camino(s)?

Sorry @David while being in one of the greatest countries in regards to food and quality ingredients, going to McDonalds is just not an option for me. I don't know where your dislike for spanish cousine comes from, but generally disliking a whole countries food, specially if it has as big of a variety is just wrong in my opinion.

Personally, I'd love to have the chance to go on a food tour with you in a city someday to change your mind :)

(what i can understand, is to go to mcdonalds to get something familiar after weeks of new stuff)

Please be kind, I am a late 40's English Empire baby and have certain likes and dislikes re food. I have been visiting Spain for over twenty years .. I have eaten in cheap places, I have eaten in three and four star places and I just do not like Spanish food. I have travelled at least six times around the world (I lost count) and have eaten in at least twenty countries in the world over my life, both poor and expensive and had much enjoyment, but Spanish food is just not for me - please allow me to have my own viewpoint on this subject in this forum.

I could go on ... the bread has such a hard crust that it can actually cut your palate open. That strange cold potato omelette that pilgrims rave about? Crikey! You have to be Truly hungry to swallow that! A Paella has the same taste whatever is in it because they mix and cook in the ingredients with the rice, which to me makes it heavily oily and drab. In other countries they cook the dish and then add it to the rice on your plate.
Of course, if you order a specific fish dish or a beef steak dish, you will get what people eat throughout the world and that will taste nice - but oily heavy Spanish dishes? Anhalter, I have tried them all, I really have, over two decades - and I just do not like what they do with food. On the other hand I have eaten in an immigrant worker's Portuguese community centre and restaurant in Frankfurt, invited in by respected elders, and had a Portuguese freshly fired sardine dish and it was utterly phenomenal, as were the other dishes - if the Spanish could do things like that then I would be in!
Sorry.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Please be kind, I am a late 40's English Empire baby and have certain likes and dislikes re food. I have been visiting Spain for over twenty years .. I have eaten in cheap places, I have eaten in three and four star places and I just do not like Spanish food. I have travelled at least six times around the world (I lost count) and have eaten in at least twenty countries in the world over my life, both poor and expensive and had much enjoyment, but Spanish food is just not for me - please allow me to have my own viewpoint on this subject in this forum.

I could go on ... the bread has such a hard crust that it can actually cut your palate open. A Paella is the same taste whatever is in it because they mix and cook in the ingredients with the rice, which to me makes it heavily oily and drab.
Of course, if you order a specific fish dish or a beef steak dish, you will get what people eat throughout the world and that will taste nice - but oily heavy Spanish dishes? Anhalter, I have tried them all, I really have, over two decades - and I just do not like what they do with food.
Sorry.
Sorry if i sounded harsh, sometimes i think i am chosing the wrong words. My english is quite decent, but not perfect. It is not my intend to "not be kind" in any way.
Of course you are absolutely entitled to your opinion and of course you can eat what you like best. It's a free country after all.
What i do not get is our different perspectives. I also have be going to spain for more than 30 years. I think i was 5-6y the first times i went there with my parents.
Now that i have the means, i have planned whole vacations in spain around the (in my view) incredible food. And no, i do not go to Michelin starred restaurants. I (try to) go, where the locals go, because it is usally great food for a great price.
What especially disturbs me is your view on paella. There are worlds of difference!
Imagine a touristic place, where turnover has to be high, that just heats up frozen, industrially made, paellas.
Imagine a place, where everything, including the fish broth, is made from scratch. Where they use real saffron instead of "colorante". Where you have to wait something along 45min to get the paella.
As with everything you need to know your food (a bit) to really cherish the difference. It's like with everthing else. Why pay 20 bucks for a Chardonnay when you can get one for 3... It's both white wine.
I have been trying for years to prepare the paella to the likes of my favorite place. I so far have not managed it. But i have to say, my paella is likely better what you get most places.

Sorry if i sounded harsh, sometimes i think i am chosing the wrong words. My english is quite decent, but not perfect. It is not my intend to "not be kind" in any way.
Of course you are absolutely entitled to your opinion and of course you can eat what you like best. It's a free country after all.
What i do not get is our different perspectives. I also have be going to spain for more than 30 years. I think i was 5-6y the first times i went there with my parents.
Now that i have the means, i have planned whole vacations in spain around the (in my view) incredible food. And no, i do not go to Michelin starred restaurants. I (try to) go, where the locals go, because it is usally great food for a great price.
What especially disturbs me is your view on paella. There are worlds of difference!
Imagine a touristic place, where turnover has to be high, that just heats up frozen, industrially made, paellas.
Imagine a place, where everything, including the fish broth, is made from scratch. Where they use real saffron instead of "colorante". Where you have to wait something along 45min to get the paella.
As with everything you need to know your food (a bit) to really cherish the difference. It's like with everthing else. Why pay 20 bucks for a Chardonnay when you can get one for 3... It's both white wine.
I have been trying for years to prepare the paella to the likes of my favorite place. I so far have not managed it. But i have to say, my paella is likely better what you get most places.

But Anhlater - I have eaten those too! The ones where you have to book ahead or wait over an hour or so for the Paella to be ready - yes, I have done those too. (they taste the same to me).

An - it is ok, we are all different. That I don't like Spanish food isn't a criticism or attack on you, we are all different with different tastes - all is well.
come to England and you may hate all the traditional food that I offer you (beef suet pudding for a start!) - but that is ok, we are all different, and after over twenty years of my really trying to find something that I like in Spain to eat I am not going to change now you know!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't understand it as an attack, don't worry @David . It just makes me a bit sad. Sure thing, we are only guys on the internet with a common interest and you not liking spanish food is not affecting my life... i don't know, i just wish i could somehow change your mind on a the great food this country has to offer.
Who knows, maybe we'll run into each other one day. Then i'll gladly take my chance to convince you. I order, you try. If for some miracle it happens in England, other way round (it's been a while that i was there, but i actually kinda liked the food. Yes, we joke about it, but black pudding breakfeast, whats not to love about that)
Sound like a deal?

Sorry @David while being in one of the greatest countries in regards to food and quality ingredients, going to McDonalds is just not an option for me. I don't know where your dislike for spanish cousine comes from, but generally disliking a whole countries food, specially if it has as big of a variety is just wrong in my opinion.

Personally, I'd love to have the chance to go on a food tour with you in a city someday to change your mind :)

(what i can understand, is to go to mcdonalds to get something familiar after weeks of new stuff)

edit: To get a good overview of the incredible variety of spanish food, i strongly recommend the channel "Spain Revealed" on Youtube. For example this video, where they sample different foods in a market:
(It's all in english. They make a living selling food tours. I am not affiliated nor do i know them)
You are 100% right. Viva the Spanish food.

Our family discussed this question over dinner tonight. In our case, the food was generally not the highlight of the Camino. That said, several things came mind. First we did always enjoy trying the local cheese selection wherever we could get. It was always a surprise, but we never got any that we did not like, and many were simply wonderful. We particularly had good selections in Leon and in a little cafe the day we started out from Portomarin.

One of our favorite experiences we had was the farmers market in Leon. We stocked up on fantastic, juicy, tasty oranges that packed along with us for days.

Though we did not try any, we did enjoy seeing the 24 hour ham vending machines on the street in the bigger towns...the one in Leon comes to mind about a half block from the Cathedral.8

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In another thread here, started by @Arn , discusting food is being discussed. Interesting, and I have learned a little about what to definitely avoid!

However, my Caminos have tought me a lot about Spanish food, and how nice it can be: So the question is: What did you particurlarly enjoy for food while on your Camino?

For me, I must say that a ration of choriso fritte, with bread (pan) and a glass of red, sitting by the main square in Carrion de los Condes, people-watching, is one of my favourites.

What about you?

My favourite is Cevesa with Limon ...

I could go on ... the bread has such a hard crust that it can actually cut your palate open. That strange cold potato omelette that pilgrims rave about? Crikey! You have to be Truly hungry to swallow that! A Paella has the same taste whatever is in it because they mix and cook in the ingredients with the rice, which to me makes it heavily oily and drab. In other countries they cook the dish and then add it to the rice on your plate.
Of course, if you order a specific fish dish or a beef steak dish, you will get what people eat throughout the world and that will taste nice - but oily heavy Spanish dishes? Anhalter, I have tried them all, I really have, over two decades - and I just do not like what they do with food. On the other hand I have eaten in an immigrant worker's Portuguese community centre and restaurant in Frankfurt, invited in by respected elders, and had a Portuguese freshly fired sardine dish and it was utterly phenomenal, as were the other dishes - if the Spanish could do things like that then I would be in!
Sorry.
I am sad the way you criticised Spanish food.

Spanish food is just not for me - please allow me to have my own viewpoint on this subject in this forum.
Absolutely! I don't rave about Spanish food either, for various reasons, and I have been known to enjoy an occasional McDonalds meal. But you said two things that I cannot agree with, as I think they are both false.

Spanish?? nnnoooo (and not Mexican either and they are similar to me, both horrid).
Spanish and Mexican food are not similar at all!

(aluminium pots and pans!! - Hello Alzheimer's)
That is a myth that is not supported by scientific evidence - myth #4 on this website.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi - could folks ignore my comments, and subsequent comments from others .. I shouldn't have posted after my McDonalds post (which was true by the way).
It was an answer to the word 'enjoy' in the post title and I don't want that to hijack the post.

To get it back on track, in Europe Spain is known for its fine foods and regional dishes. The Spanish in various areas are very proud of their versions of Paella, and on the coasts the villages and towns have specific recipes, different from others, for their fish dishes, of which they are very proud.

I have Camino friends who rave about the Spanish food they have eaten and I haven't met anyone who feels as I do - so, let us get back on track .... I do like Spanish hams and in Burgos their is a specific Burgos black pudding dish that is considered to be rather fine (much too oily though).

Last edited:
Absolutely, I really don't like Spanish food. Not parochial, I like French, Italian, Chinese, Indian, etc - but Spanish?? nnnoooo (and not Mexican either and they are similar to me, both horrid).
Ah well, each to his own!

Why? McDonalds use good belly cuts of 100% local beef with no additives except salt and pepper, fresh salads, freshly baked good bread from the country they are based in, free range eggs, free range milk, all cooked freshly to order - plus best fresh ground bean coffee at the best price in Europe ... apart from wild claims against - what is wrong with any of their menu? I like it, like it all.

If you go into a Spanish restaurant you will have food cooked in aluminium pans!! (aluminium pots and pans!! - Hello Alzheimer's) - you have no idea how fresh the ingredients are, nor where they came from, nor what quality, whether they are pesticide full or no - all lower end cafes and restaurants buy the absolute cheapest produce they can get - who knows the provenance? - so what actually is this bias against McDonalds?
Please to explain.

Oh - and the staff are really cheerful and helpful and friendly, and the toilets are immaculately clean, and they have free wi-fi!! - what is not to like??
I don’t have a bias against McDonalds but I couldn’t imagine eating in one in Spain, where there is a massive variety of home cooked food. The whole culture seems designed to produce fresh, tasty, regional food in a welcoming and unfussy manner. In my opinion it is easier to eat well in Spain and Portugal than in any other country I have visited. The bars are a bastion of hospitality, noise and atmosphere. The eggs taste better than elsewhere. Bread is fresh and tasty. Seafood usually of greater variety and freshness than in England, even miles from the sea. Then one can find things that are hard to find in England; suckling pig and rabbit. One of the best dishes I ate on my last Camino was a 7.50 euro rabbit cooked over charcoal in Pontevedra. Magnificent with a bottle of Bierzo. Each to their own, though. Best wishes and let’s hope we can get there again soon.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi - could folks ignore my comments, and subsequent comments from others .. I shouldn't have posted after my McDonalds post (which was true by the way).
It was an answer to the word 'enjoy' in the post title and I don't want that to hijack the post.

To get it back on track, in Europe Spain is known for its fine foods and regional dishes. The Spanish in various areas are very proud of their versions of Paella, and on the coasts the villages and towns have specific recipes, different from others, for their fish dishes, of which they are very proud.

I have Camino friends who rave about the Spanish food they have eaten and I haven't met anyone who feels as I do - so, let us get back on track .... I do like Spanish hams and in Burgos their is a specific Burgos black pudding dish that is considered to be rather fine (much too oily though).
I enjoyed your post and politely disagreeing. Ultreia!

My favourite food in Spain is tortilla, preferably tortilla de patatas, but tortilla francese is generally available as a vegetarian meal, sometimes as a sandwich on a bocadillo. On one occasion, I ordered a drink in a bar which served tapas and asked for the tortilla as my tapa. The quantity was so large, that it served as a light meal, but the charge was only for the drink and one tapa. I wish I could remember where that bar was.

Another thing, that has not been mentioned much, are croquetas.
Unfortunately, many place only sell the deep frozen ones. They are cheap, they are easy to prepare, and they hit a spot when you have "hiker hunger" nontheless. So why put more effort in it.

Why? Because it is worth it. Croquetas can be incredible when done right. You can put pretty much everything in them. Ham? Sure. Cheese? Sure! Squid? Why not? Choclate? Oh hell yes.

I heard that the bars of pamplona hold an anual competiton on croquetas. If someone knows more, please elaborate. But i asked in some bars after their special croqueta and was never disapointed.

Another great place, in a town of great tapas, is Divina Croqueta in Logrono. They serve croquetas. And wine. That is it.
Theres a picture of the menu on google i can't link to because stupid copiright, but i have one of the food itself. Can't remember exactly what was in each, but one was choclate, and this was actually divine.

1613932057064.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unfortunately, many place only sell the deep frozen ones. They are cheap, they are easy to prepare, and they hit a spot when you have "hiker hunger" nontheless. So why put more effort in it.

Why? Because it is worth it. Croquetas can be incredible when done right. You can put pretty much everything in them. Ham? Sure. Cheese? Sure! Squid? Why not? Choclate? Oh hell yes.

I heard that the bars of pamplona hold an anual competiton on croquetas. If someone knows more, please elaborate. But i asked in some bars after their special croqueta and was never disapointed.

Another great place, in a town of great tapas, is Divina Croqueta in Logrono. They serve croquetas. And wine. That is it.
Theres a picture of the menu on google i can't link to because stupid copiright, but i have one of the food itself. Can't remember exactly what was in each, but one was choclate, and this was actually divine.

View attachment 94091

Semana de la Croqueta....

I have had many good to great meals on the Camino. Enjoyed many different beers, wines, Orujo etc..

That said, no meal is complete without Helado, especially pastel de Helado.

View attachment 94091

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That strange cold potato omelette that pilgrims rave about? Crikey! You have to be Truly hungry to swallow that!
I thought that for many years. First went to Spain when I was 18, over four decades ago and always avoided it. I walked the Camino in 2019 and eventually tried it about 4 days out of Santiago. Loved it!! Had it every day thereafter and cooked it many times once home ( with disappointing results but edible). I think I agree with David, Spain's food is not the best (or worst) but I think it is is much the better for the experience, the setting, the moment!

View attachment 94091
Divine croquetas with an albarino or rioja.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ensalada mixa. I’dnot been much of salad person, but since the Camino, it’s the thing my mouth waters for all the time! Weird!
Next, cafe americano and a chocolate croissant.
Finally, my best meal was at a hostal in Ventosa. My dining companions were sisters from South Africa and our hostess. She made paella, roasted chicken, ensalada mixa with her own fresh garden vegetables and fruit and finally a perfect flan; all paired with local wines and fascinating conversation.
Second best meal was in Castrojeriz, Albergue Orion. It’s was a Korean dinner that was just amazing.

In a little town somewhere outside of Barcelona, on a fiesta day when all the restaurants were closed safe for one where my dinner would have cost 30€ I was delighted to happen upon a McDonalds.

In another thread here, started by @Arn , discusting food is being discussed. Interesting, and I have learned a little about what to definitely avoid!

However, my Caminos have tought me a lot about Spanish food, and how nice it can be: So the question is: What did you particurlarly enjoy for food while on your Camino?

For me, I must say that a ration of choriso fritte, with bread (pan) and a glass of red, sitting by the main square in Carrion de los Condes, people-watching, is one of my favourites.

What about you?
Chocolate muffin St Jean
Pastel de nata Porto

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If I could do a small follow up as I am still feeling guilty about dismissing a whole nation's food. The thing is, I have no interest in food at all .. I have an interest in not being hungry but as long as it is plain food I have no other interest. I eat when hungry and then stop. When alone I don't eat between 8pm and 2pm next day which is now a 'thing' and named intermittent fasting I think.

Strangely, perhaps, I was in catering when at sea when young and to become an officer (a Purser) I had to follow a number of steps, including sea time as a cook - but that was really easy for me as cooking is merely logic and maths, hardly difficult.

So, I think what I meant by not liking Spanish food is that I really do old-fashioned simple. Meat, veg, but preferably without the addition of herbs - unless it is a curry. So a McDonalds is simple; beef, salad, bread, though I never visit food dives to order the same. I like McDonalds as all their food is fresh, their premises are clean, especially the toilets, and they do cheap good coffee and free wi-fi.

I find that Spanish dishes are too complicated in their seasoning and they use too much oil - I find Paella much too oily, even when superbly prepared, and I have had superbly prepared paellas.

I never reveal my thoughts at table of course - too rude - I always praise and thank.

You may think - oh what a shame, to miss so much - and this could be true, on the other hand to not be embroiled in the whole foody thing can be seen as a form of freedom.

So I apologise to every Spaniard, I really do, as well as all on here who are lovers of food, Spanish or not; it is just that I prefer plain and simple food.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Restaurante Andurina, Fisterra
pickled fish, served in a strawberry puree, with dashes of olive oil, and bright pink micro greens. Dessert was a heavenly creamy dessert with a tart fruit (mango?) center, covered in a dark chocolate shell, a smear of caramel and a few raspberries. And a tiny side of fresh mint ice cream.
IMG_4040_IMG_4040_76small.jpg1img_3509.jpg

Restaurante Andurina, Fisterra
pickled fish, served in a strawberry puree, with dashes of olive oil, and bright pink micro greens. Dessert was a heavenly creamy dessert with a tart fruit (mango?) center, covered in a dark chocolate shell, a smear of caramel and a few raspberries. And a tiny side of fresh mint ice cream.
View attachment 94283View attachment 94284
The goodness and beauty of the Spanish food.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A special meal in Madrid at Botin. I was there the first time in 1961 with my parents.
Favorite meal is gambas al aujillo with Albariño ending with manchego con membrillo. There is a bar in Compostela that has the best, with just the right amount of red pepper!

What about you?
Pan con tomate. I tried to make it at home and could not figure out how they got the texture of tomato, then I watched two Italians making pasta sauce: you grate it, with a cheese grater, into a bowl. Lightly toast the bread, glug a generous dollop of olive oil onto the bread, spread the tomato pulp onto the bread then salt, pepper, and yet more olive oil. Breakfast of the gods.

A special meal in Madrid at Botin. I was there the first time in 1961 with my parents.
Favorite meal is gambas al aujillo with Albariño ending with manchego con membrillo. There is a bar in Compostela that has the best, with just the right amount of red pepper!
On my Santiago Fisterra I met a Korean pilgrim who had a very bad English. It took time to know that her favourite Spanish food was gambas al ajillo. I also like pollo and conejo al ajillo.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Apart my usual diet of tortilla at any time of the day (there was one place on the 'scenic' route into Burgos that had several varieties that were very tasty), I remember a nice dish in Logroño called 'cojonudo' that included what Brits call black pudding and a fried egg.
It was so good I went back to the same place for another one when I returned to Logroño last year at the end of another stage in my Camino.
More typical of Burgos (if I get this the right way round ...) a cojanudo has a base of morcilla (black pudding) with a quail’s egg on top and a cojanuda is similar but on a base of chorizo.

Both excellent.

I have had - and expect to continue to have - some outstanding food in Spain.

However!

I continue to be surprised how - given the tremendous fresh produce to be found in markets in every town in the country, many decent restaurants are almost devoid of vegetables.

I looked beyond the obvious ‘ham and cheese’ long ago and found excellent fish, meat and salad; creative tapas and a huge variety of rice and pasta dishes.

I’m fascinated by the regional, local, micro-local and ‘here, and only here’ dishes.

But.

About 10 years ago my wife and I were struck down by ‘flu whilst in the region of Córdoba. We produced the emergency credit card and booked into a place adjacent to the mesquita. Neither of us left our room for 48 hours after which I (almost literally) crawled out in search of comfort calories. There was a Burger King 50 meters away and it was one of the most welcome sights I’ve ever seen.

In dire straits - and believe me this was proper aching through-and-through ‘flu - I think that one needs something unchallenging.

At home, stone cold sober and uninfected I wouldn’t be found in any of the burger chains.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

What about you?
I am happy to say I am a vegetarian, so most all of the foods folks are describing sounds awful to me.
I do not drink alcohol, so the wine descriptions do nothing for me.
But I do enjoy gelato.

More typical of Burgos (if I get this the right way round ...) a cojanudo has a base of morcilla (black pudding) with a quail’s egg on top and a cojanuda is similar but on a base of chorizo.

Both excellent
It must be cojonudo and cojonuda.

Cojonudo/a means very good. In the past was slang but now is included in the Spanish dictionary.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I find that Spanish dishes are too complicated in their seasoning and they use too much oil - I find Paella much too oily, even when superbly prepared, and I have had superbly prepared paellas.

We all have different tastes.

I have to say I find Spanish food, at least that found along the Caminos, mostly very plain indeed.
Often it is very well prepared, but just plain.

Not enough seasoning and spice for me.

It's just a case of what we are used to, and what we like.

We're all different ;)

We all have different tastes.

I have to say I find Spanish food, at least that found along the Caminos, mostly very plain indeed.
Often it is very well prepared, but just plain.

Not enough seasoning and spice for me.

It's just a case of what we are used to, and what we like.

We're all different ;)
Yes for us Spaniards the food may be a problem visiting Mexico.
European food in general is not spicy.

€46,-
One of my favourite restaurant in Madrid,Botin,the lamb is delicious, as all the food in the menu, you did well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Sorry.

I love most of all the mon & pop restaurants in small pueblos in the back of nowhere. Somehow the homespun dishes of the area are exquisite.

I have most of all enjoyed Spanish fish and seafood-- one unkind friend says that this is why I have done the del Norte several times-- once one persuades them to grill it rather than fry it. I recall reading an account of the Peninsular wars where a British officer complained about the oily food and while I don't mind food cooked in oil, I have sometimes had meals spoiled for me by the over-use.

Spanish bread is a disappointment, although the Galicians do great bread which well makes up for it. I do find Spanish desserts not much to my taste but they are always happy to bring me cheese and fruit, which more than makes up for it.

Your comments on the general run of paella are not unjustified. I soon learned not to even think of the small plates of paella available from the micro-wave at bars on or just off the main plaza (although they are a safe bet for veggies when all else fails). While I once lucked out on the paella of a restaurant in Barcelona, to which I had been guided by the daughter of a dear old (deceased, so very sadly) friend, my best* was in a field west of Balaguer in Catalonia where I was walking by a copse of trees and found myself called over by two teenagers. Their family was having a picnic for a cousin's birthday and felt it would bring good luck to have a pilgrim at the table (or the tablecloth spread in the field). The paterfamilias was in charge of a huge (half a metre across? a metre?? is my memory correct?) paella pan and ladling in broth and various bits of meat. This was a carnivore's paella, with chicken, some very small fowl, and rabbit. With the French-speaking teen as interpreter, we had a very fine meal-- not oily at all-- and I was (mercifully) given a lift into Algerri, where I slept in rooms at the gasolinera. The father told me that the only true paella was one for the family and he was glad to have a pilgrim as their guest.

*the second best paella was in the kitchen of Chilean Canadian writer Leandro Urbina, who guided me through the process. Leandro also told me that paella is best a la casa.

...... I do find Spanish desserts not much to my taste but they are always happy to bring me cheese and fruit, which more than makes up for it.
Desserts don’t appeal to me much at the best of times as I find them too sweet, but I never passed up the opportunity to have rice pudding if it was on the pilgrim menu which, thankfully, was fairly often.

Why? McDonalds use good belly cuts of 100% local beef with no additives except salt and pepper, fresh salads, freshly baked good bread from the country they are based in, free range eggs, free range milk, all cooked freshly to order - plus best fresh ground bean coffee at the best price in Europe ... apart from wild claims against - what is wrong with any of their menu? I like it, like it all.

If you go into a Spanish restaurant you will have food cooked in aluminium pans!! (aluminium pots and pans!! - Hello Alzheimer's) - you have no idea how fresh the ingredients are, nor where they came from, nor what quality, whether they are pesticide full or no - all lower end cafes and restaurants buy the absolute cheapest produce they can get - who knows the provenance? - so what actually is this bias against McDonalds?
Please to explain.

Oh - and the staff are really cheerful and helpful and friendly, and the toilets are immaculately clean, and they have free wi-fi!! - what is not to like??
It’s the absence of adventure. Finding something to eat, that is just like being at home. Like going to Disney, without the kids. Well, honestly, I never went there WITH them. However, we did go many places to have actual adventures

Self editing after the fact... missed that bit about your appreciation of other cuisines. Maybe there is a unanticipated discovery in your future. Happy dining,

Nothing wrong with your post whatsoever. When my daughter saw a McDonald's, in Leon I think it was, she went crazy and wouldn't stop, almost running, to get there. I struggled to keep up.

Each to his/her own is my motto. I'm not particularly partial to snails but that does not make me a Francophobe.

Gosh, I have enjoyed so many different foods when on camino (in Spain, France and Portugal), and I do have endless photos!

If I have walked a long way and am hungry enough, then most things taste good.

My daily simple pleasure in Spain is cafe con leche with tostada (made with the local bread) con tomate y aceite.

A secret and not much indulged pleasure, if I come across a churrería, is churros con chocolate. Early morning or late at night. A dish to kill you.

€83,-
Sorry @David while being in one of the greatest countries in regards to food and quality ingredients, going to McDonalds is just not an option for me. I don't know where your dislike for spanish cuisine comes from, but generally disliking a whole countries food, specially if it has as big of a variety is just wrong in my opinion.

edit: To get a good overview of the incredible variety of spanish food, i strongly recommend the channel "Spain Revealed" on Youtube. For example this video, where they sample different foods in a market:
(It's all in english. They make a living selling food tours. I am not affiliated nor do i know them)

I have to confess I'm not a great fan of Spanish food. But then again I have only tasted Camino food.
Though I have tried a few so called 'fancy' restaurants in SDC, and the major cities along the CF, and wouldn't rate them that highly.

I'd call it good 'basic' food. A bit like German cuisine in that regard.
Particularly when cooked well with fresh ingredients. It's 'nice'.
(Note: I lived in Germany for 4 years and loved the place)

Of course we had some really nice meals on Camino, but as a cuisine (from what I have seen), there are many others I would rate a lot higher.

Japanese,
Thai,
Indian,
French,
Italian,

I've got into trouble for saying this before, so I'll now duck. :oops:

Please note that English, Irish and Australian (my heritage) did not make the list ;)

Of course there is no accounting for taste! We are all different.
Some more different than others @David :eek: :)

Last edited:
Of course we had some really nice meals on Camino, but as a cuisine (from what I have seen), there are many others I would rate a lot higher.

Japanese,
Thai,
Indian,
French,
Italian,

I've got into trouble for saying this before, so I'll now duck. :oops:

Please note that English, Irish and Australian (my heritage) did not make the list ;)

Of course there is no accounting for taste! We are all different.
Some more different than others @David :eek: :)
Yes I agree with your list. Spain must be third in Europe, and I think the tenth in the world (after those on the list + China, India and 2 more).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pamplona and Logrono have incredible Tapas bars. Go there, point at stuff, enjoy. If you are feeling frisky, ask for the house specialties.

Foncebadon has the Taberna Gaia. Go there.

The Cocido Maragato in Astorga might be... on the ewww side of things. On a cold day, after a long hike it hits a spot.

The different variations of Pulpo might be worth the strange texture

If a plaxe is selling xipirones/chipirones... order them Chances are higher closer to Galicia.

+1 for Caldo Gallego. In fact i cooked something similar just this weekend.

Not a recommendation with a certain place or dish, but: if they offer a specifically vegan menu, order it. I like meat a lot, after a dozen pilgrim menus i needed the change. So did my body.

Jamon Iberico de Bellota is incredibly expensive, but you need to try it once.

edit: If you see spaniards standing in line in front of a place to purchase whatever kind of food, stand in the same line. Period.
"NO, IN PAMPLOMA THEY'RE CALLED PINXO'S!" JOST FROM AMSTERDAM.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This was one of those times when it wasn't the uniqueness of the food but the smell. As I was strolling along a lonely section of the Norte up above the beach the wafting odor of French fries hit me every few minutes and eventually I began to hunger/lust for a plate of them. After another 1/2 km or so the track descended to a paved road and there was a sign for a bar - back the way I had just come. I marched back and ordered up a plate. It was so good.

Attachments

• IMG_8011.JPG
    IMG_8011.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back