• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is Manjarin like now?

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
10 years ago , this was top of my 'Must do' list , I had heard so much about this refugio and Tomas ....... well , I was not dissapointed! It was snowing and the suroundings were at least a foot deep in snow. There was no runing water but for a large plastic container , there were no ablution facilities ...........but , there was cooking on the go and anyone who even looked in out of curiosity were offered coffee and a bowl of soup .....Thomas fed us that night and there was vino ...there was an abundance of blankets. Shure , the place was a hovel , but what an experience.

I did hear that a couple had opened up shop across the road and were suppling free meals a year or so ago ...enough babbling perhaps there are some of you that can give an update.

I may even consider volunteering as Hospitalero some time?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I passed by it in November last year. I had no need for refreshment and had only come from a long break at cruz de ferro so I didn't stop.

Plus I was put off by the starting up of a tape of gregorian chants and the ringing of a bell which 'coincided' with my cresting the hill overlooking the site. It struck me as being too odd.

So it is still there ...

I stayed there two years ago and stopped in twice last year. Not much has changed except poo pit has been somewhat improved. I have never seen any facility across the street except the outhouse.

I also loved staying there and it remains one if the highlights of the Camino for me. :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
whariwharangi said:
Plus I was put off by the starting up of a tape of gregorian chants and the ringing of a bell which 'coincided' with my cresting the hill overlooking the site. It struck me as being too odd.
Every Pilrgim passing is announced and welcomed this way.It is a tradition , indeed , I was welcomed the same way 10 years ago - And I can tell you things get even more 'odd' as the evening progresses- for the adventurous - Wow , what a highlight as ANNE says. :D

RENSHAW said:
- And I can tell you things get even more 'odd' as the evening progresses- for the adventurous - Wow , what a highlight as ANNE says. :D
Oh, come on Renshaw, do tell...... :D

I feel like I missed out....I was racing ahead of the family to catch up with Grandpa and ask him to stop so that we could take a break and eat together.....I was obviously so intent on finding Grandpa that I missed the chants and bells....just raced into the "bar" and out of it in three seconds flat and kept running onwards.....I did wonder if I'd missed something because I could not really see where the famous albergue was but I've since realised that must have been it - and now I see I missed even more than I thought at the time! Interesting what you don't see when you're not looking.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Like Kiwi mom I feel like I missed out too...
I came thru there by myself one day...I don't know if it was Thomas who was there or not. I went in the area to have a drink and did sit for a few minutes. The man in there was mad at his dog who had just killed one of the kittens. I liked him but didn't feel a flowing conversation so being slightly uncomfie in the quiet moment I left and it sounds like it was MY loss. Thirteen months ago I saw nothing across from it.

We walked by on Nov 1 and saw the roof being repaired. The latrine was on the other side of the road. Guess perrigrinos who stay there don't have to get up during the night to pee

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stopped in again this year.
One poor pilgrim was attacked (literally) by one of Tomas' cats!
It bit the hell out of her leg.
The girl was just having a bad run of luck.
We had tried to convince her to go to the doctor in Rabanal because her blisters were horrid.
And then she stops and gets attacked and bitten by a cat.
Again, she refused help - even though we all begged her to get a tetanus shot.
I hope she made it.
She was from Japan, I believe...

Anyway.. the place looked the same.
The latrine across the road had been improved considerably from the year before.
It was clean and had a door!
Tomas was there, greeting pilgrims.
They still offered donativo coffee and tea and cookies.
I love that place...

Its a must stay over..you will always remember this place Manjarin, you will continue to see it in your dream's.Yes, i stayed there a couple of winters ago, in early November. I could see the flickering flames and hear the crackling wood burning below through the floorboards as i lay on the mattress on the floor above. i had always wanted to stay there also. Lovely family, good meal, i was hungry !! not sure what was on that plate, because of poor lighting, but i survived. you will never find an Albergue like it again,ever.When Tomas finally hears that last bell ringing. I hope he remembers that it really is St James calling him to his busom. patrick j brennan.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Is this the place with the sign outside that points to different places indicating the kilometers?? If so, I was happy to come upon this place. I stopped in to ask for, of all things batteries for my camera because mine had died right after cruz de ferro, no such luck. The place was dark and cramped with a lot of cats and a lot of trinkets. It was early morning and there was another pilgrim getting a sello and as the man with the sello stamped the passport, the pilgrim started doing a dance while whopping and hollering. He was so excited because this sello completed his passport which he started in Le Puy, very impressive. Is this the place where they dress up as knights?

Attachments

• Manjarin mile sign.jpg
    Manjarin mile sign.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 32
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Renshaw

Tomas was still going strong this year, no 'competing' premises across the road, had hoped to have the experience of staying but alas, having gotten to Foncebadon the previous day the conflict between making a good day's progress and experiencing enjoying Tomas's hospitality was settled for making a push for Cacabelos but next time ....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Renshaw

Tomas was still going strong this year, no 'competing' premises across the road, had hoped to have the experience of staying but alas, having gotten to Foncebadon the previous day the conflict between making a good day's progress and experiencing enjoying Tomas's hospitality was settled for making a push for Cacabelos but next time ....
Thanx , he is looking a lot older now - Hey what fantastic Pics!

I know Tomas from hospitalero-ing, he is always a great guy at get-togethers. But when I stop by his place I am utterly ignored. The albergue is a very masculine environment, where men are welcomed collegially, young women are often fussed-over, and women over 40 are, well... invisible.
And no, I am not the first person to notice this.

I know Tomas from hospitalero-ing, he is always a great guy at get-togethers. But when I stop by his place I am utterly ignored. The albergue is a very masculine environment, where men are welcomed collegially, young women are often fussed-over, and women over 40 are, well... invisible.

I know I was hurrying when I zipped into the bar......but I was the only one there and could not raise so much as an Hola! from the elderly man I had heard was so friendly. I was a little bemused by this, but as I was a couple of weeks away from turning 42, I now understand;-)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Really?
I found him quite nice.
I didn't feel invisible.
He definitely warmed up after closing and the crowds left.
Maybe he was busy, or sick, or tired, or . . .??

He stopped long enough to take this photo with me when I was there.

aaypfq.jpg

Yup - we were ignored as well!

Reb , He is that type of man - fueled by charismatic egomania ; the king of his castle ......perhaps thats why he is there ........ Did he not start that Refugio with a companion?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
legend holds he was a wildly successful banker or lawyer or some such, and threw it all over to go and be the Final Templar in the wilderness. He certainly is a camino character, subject of many songs and legends.
The people who live in his neighborhood can tell you some other kinds of tales as well. But I have decided to stop being gloomy, so I will leave it at that.

Translation of a blog in Spanish:

Thomas, the Last Templar
11/9/2009 10:03:04

The climb to the mountains of Leon represents one of the toughest tests for the pilgrim who comes with his tongue out to Cruz del Ferro, where, according to tradition, placed her tribute in the form of small stone. A little further down is the hostel Manjarín, ruined village. One gets the feeling that this place is out of this world, we need to see it to believe it ... its what will principal occupant early in Sevilla. Stay tuned.

img4aaa03d8ebd5b.jpg
Thomas, the hospitable, has earned the enmity of the political leaders of the area. The hostel Manjarín not listed, in fact, in the official network of shelters. Thomas is, much to his dismay, a type controversial, controversial ...... maybe yes, but true.

He lived in Madrid, belonged to the Revolutionary Organization of Workers (ORT), but left the city and came to live in Ponferrada, where in the company of his unconditional Ramon and Miguel founded the Friends Templar. Since then lives in these summits, among chickens and geese throughout the year. Prior also had two dogs, poisoned long ago by, he said, "some evil spirit."

It takes 18 years hospitable, sharing dinner with the pilgrims who poke its nose through the port, which calls ringing the bell of the hostel, like the ancient monks did Templars, in order to guide the pilgrims in the days of thick fog. Next door in an old caravan, lived his friend Paulinus, Asturian, hemiplegic and almost hermit.

I recall Born Murias of Rechibaldo, Peace Tomas Martinez, "The Last Templar" as he likes to be called, admits it was a spiritual calling that led him to engage in hospitable for 17 years and leads by example in Manjarín the hostel.

His greatest satisfaction is to give shelter to pilgrims on the highway to Compostela. Fighter as few, Tomas Martinez puts his willpower to any contingency, and even rudeness. You know you live well being honest with himself, and with which welcomes. Shelters and hostels on the Camino de Santiago exist in a good number, but few like Manjarín. From the June 27, 1993, Holy Year, Tomas Martinez is responsible for providing support and shelter to thousands of pilgrims who year after year make stops in the upper. Never close the door on anyone.

Your vocation is born precisely from having walked the Camino de Santiago and having lived all its essence. Hence his goodbye to Madrid and his work to move to Manjarín and thence preaching poverty, help the pilgrim road to Santiago. Means precisely that poverty takes, as he aims to make do with little more than 300 euros a month to live and care for shelter < > Do not get tired of saying that however much disqualifies you attack or he will soldier on, "why mine is spiritual and that resists any attack."

Although he has had his good days and bad Thomas has never closed the door to anyone "only two children of satan with ID" comments. Keep track of how many pilgrims have passed through the home, both to stay an extra day to rest as to seal the credential, a total of 15,000.

His life in Manjarín has countless anecdotes, most of them good and keeping with special memories and only to friends and those pilgrims who believes good people are the account. "Precisely it was a day we had adulterated the source water filling with trash and salamanders. Tired of injustice so I decided to close the hostel. It was on July 19, 1999 and had four raised and another thirteen sleeping. I was out and I was told again that there was a new Pilgrim, a woman who had arrived at twelve o'clock. The first surprise was when he spoke to a man with muscular problems and touching just took the pain. It was wonderful. But best not happened. Just that day, with so many people, we were all calmer. I wanted to know of this woman and what was my surprise when I discovered I had started the Camino in Jerusalem on Christmas Day. That and the aura he radiated was something magical that still remember. Days later I was visited by a friend who brought me a sword Templar and a picture of the apparition of the Virgin in El Escorial. My surprise was great when I saw his face, it matched perfectly with that of the said pilgrim >>.

It is a reminder of the many carefully keeping Thomas in his hostel Manjarín, rebuilt to help thousands of pilgrims, which despite its apparent humility always find a space to recover from fatigue.
Tomás Martínez de Paz is the spitting image of the real hospitable, of an ordinary person with which is rewarding to talk, in short, a rich man in spirit for his greatest pride is to help others.

SOURCE: vivenciasdelcamino.blogspot.com

I would say that is a 'Camino Myth', Tomás told me, many years ago, that he used to work as a shop assistant in an outdoor shop in ?Madrid?, decided to do the CF and got 'capsized' by the village of Manjarin and the Montes de Leon. As for templar, the pallotines in Ponferrada told me a story that one day he decided that, as the last true templar, he has the right to reside in the castle of Ponferrada and - logically - occupied it. Apparently it took a few priests and much persuasion to get him off that idea.

Nevertheless and much more seriously, many years back I walked in January from Santiago to Assisi and arrived in El Acebo where I found a sign on the albergue door saying 'sorry for your troubles, we will open again in April' and I walked a few kilometres further and there was Tomáas, sitting on a bench in the snow before the refugio of Manjarin in his wool poncho and reading a book. As soon as he saw me, he welcomed me, gave me a hot drink and a meal and a bed. Priceless! No matter what his story was before the Camino, you can rely on his hospitality whenever you truly need it - like I did that winter! SY

legend holds he was a wildly successful banker or lawyer or some such, and threw it all over to go and be the Final Templar in the wilderness. He certainly is a camino character, subject of many songs and legends.
The people who live in his neighborhood can tell you some other kinds of tales as well. But I have decided to stop being gloomy, so I will leave it at that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I was there in early May Tomas was there, decked out in red crosses and offering us teas to the sound of the bell. As I played with his dogs he warned us of a couple of German con-artists who who stealing money from pilgrims. Nice bloke. Weird place. Wish I has stopped there to stay. This is not to belittle my previous night in Foncebadon, which was one of the best days of my life. ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1384511850.295878.jpg

It's on my list of places for the next time. I've been living on floor boards in an attic for a couple of months (long story :) ) so Manjarin should be like the Hilton :D

He was very friendly when I passed last year, stumbling across the place with the chanting and bell ringing was very atmospheric. It was bitterly cold and I could smell the mix of incense and wood smoke long before I saw the place. Whatever his motives he's certainly created a very enigmatic place.

I heard the wildly successful banker was Acacio in Viloria de Rioja...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I kicked a goose there.
Had never ever kicked an animal before. Had stopped and been given coffee and biscuits, taken in to the fire to warm up, shown the grand Templar paintings. As I left I gave them my rations (not much, sausage, cheese, bread) and went outside. I was standing on the road by the wall preparing to leave when they all came out to start a religious service. Templar dressed, Crusader sword, large book. I felt it rude to leave but rude to go back in and join them, so I stayed there, trying to look solemn. As I was lower down and behind the wall I would have been visible only from above the waist.
A goose came up and hissed at me from behind .. I turned round, crouched down and waved it away and then popped back up again. It did the same, as did I, a few times and then I noticed that the row of residents facing me in the service were trying to concentrate on the service but were looking at me out of the corners of their eyes. - To them I must have kept disappearing as I crouched down to get rid of the goose, and then popped back up into view ... I decided to ignore the goose ... then, at a particularly solemn point of the service it bit me in the back of the leg - without thinking I ducked down, swung round and kicked it in the chest ... it squawked, tottered backwards and looked so affronted that I felt rather upset - poor goose - then I popped back up again and waited solemnly until the service had finished and I could be on my way ...
great place - completely mad of course - but great place - xx

I still feel guilty about kicking that goose

Wow David! What a hoot!
Warning to future pilgrims ... save some of your rations for the goose (but not if you happen to have any goose liver pate ... 'might not be appreciated by said goose!)
I agree with you about Manjarin, David - it's pretty wild!
Cheers - Jenny

Every Pilrgim passing is announced and welcomed this way.It is a tradition , indeed , I was welcomed the same way 10 years ago - And I can tell you things get even more 'odd' as the evening progresses- for the adventurous - Wow , what a highlight as ANNE says. :D
When you pass by or entering their place? I didn't hear anything when I passed.

When you pass by or entering their place? I didn't hear anything when I passed.
Jeepers Beat!!! GREAT PHOTOS! I'm only half way through. Sometimes I want to shout out to you to stop as the photos pass a town where you perhaps should have stopped at , on the whole you seem to have travelled quite a distance each day. I can see you always had the camera at the ready during sunrise. I am impressed!
As for the bell ringing at Manjarin , perhaps it was too early .....they don't like to get up early?

Jeepers Beat!!! GREAT PHOTOS! I'm only half way through. Sometimes I want to shout out to you to stop as the photos pass a town where you perhaps should have stopped at , on the whole you seem to have travelled quite a distance each day. I can see you always had the camera at the ready during sunrise. I am impressed!
As for the bell ringing at Manjarin , perhaps it was too early .....they don't like to get up early?
Thanks.
For me the walking it self and getting to Santiago was my camino not so much being a tourist in towns I passed. I didn't like the big towns and I was really liking the silence of the meseta. I took a lot of photos most of the days as photography is a big interest but days I walked with someone else or I was in my own thoughts the camera stayed in the bag most of the time. I also didn't take a lot of pictures in the towns as I knew that there was no idea to come home with 100 photos of churches, doors, crosses and narrow streets. But I also took photos with my phone and posted on Instagram 297 pics over the 35 days and they are more of documentary than my camera photos. Those pica can be found at http://instagram.com/beastankar but you have to click on Load more... in the bottom about 18 times until you find a picture of my packing and then scroll back up.

This might explain my experience. Stopped, had tea, gave a donation, fussed the cats. Asked the young lady behind he counter if I might stay. She asked Tomas. Now, my Spanish is very limited, but you don't need to understand the language to hear anger and aggression. She turned to me, apologetic and embarrassed, telling me I couldn't stay because he wanted to save the room for "People who mattered more". It was all very odd.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back