• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What kind of weather can I expect along the trail?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Let me get my weather crystal ball out ... OK, just joking ;-)

You should prepare for warm (mostly), rain (occasionally) and cold (in the mountains). I doubt, unless it is a very unusual year weather-wise, that you would get temperatures below 5C and above 30C. Hope that helps and Buen Camino, SY

Let me get my weather crystal ball out ... OK, just joking ;-)

You should prepare for warm (mostly), rain (occasionally) and cold (in the mountains). I doubt, unless it is a very unusual year weather-wise, that you would get temperatures below 5C and above 30C. Hope that helps and Buen Camino, SY
Thank you so much for the quick response!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Depending on what you consider cold or hot weather, the Frances should offer you quite a variety. Your first few days should be cold to cool mornings/nights (4-10C) and relatively pleasant afternoons (12-18C). Once you reach the Meseta it will warm up quite a bit mornings and nights (10 to 15C) and afternoons (15-30C). Then you hit Galacia and you can almost count on rain.

The above said, Mother Nature might decide to punish you with a cold/wet walk (Spring of 2012). This is why we have whiskey.

No one can really answer this question. Just prepare for the worst and except what you get. You could be at home and working.

Ultreya,
Joe

I doubt, unless it is a very unusual year weather-wise, that you would get temperatures below 5C and above 30C.

In the part of the meseta crossed by the Camino Francés, to have several days in May with minimum temperatures below 5ºC is as usual as to be something that happens (almost?) every year. Depending on the year, it might be most days or just some days but it would be very unusual a year with no day in May with minimum temperatures below 5ºC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Accuweather.com can give you an extended (45 days) forecast for some of the towns along the way so closer to your departure time you can get an idea of general weather conditions.

In the part of the meseta crossed by the Camino Francés, to have several days in May with minimum temperatures bellow 5ºC is as usual as to be something that happens (almost?) every year. Depending on the year, it might be most days or just some days but it would be very unusual a year with no day in May with minimum temperatures bellow 5ºC.
WOW, Looks like I need to rethink my packing, 40 degrees f is the Norm in MAY ??? I start April 1st, I hope i have not made a timing mistake??

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You may have all your clothes on in the morning and barely any at mid day. Even the Meseta is at a higher elevation than I am used to, so my normal April weather at home is different.

It is very hard to predict....

I walked the same time as you in 2015 and had great weather. Only 2 days of rain. Very warm most days. Never need more than a shirt whilst walking.

But as others have said. Expect anything :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
WOW, Looks like I need to rethink my packing, 40 degrees f is the Norm in MAY ??? I start April 1st, I hope i have not made a timing mistake??

Gypsywind:

I started on March 23rd in 2010 and 2011. We had no snow until the very top and then it was quite sparse. The mornings were cold -4C but the day warmed up to maybe 5-8C. This was not uncomfortable. I mostly walked in a long sleeve Under Armor shirt and a fleece. You will be generating a lot of heat while walking. It can seem colder if windy or raining. This is why I recommend rain gear over ponchos. A good light weight pair of rain pants will block wind and keep your pants dry.

This is a great time to walk, imo. Not too crowded, with the exception of Easter week, and everything is starting to bloom.

Extended forecasts, imo, are useless except for giving you an average norm. Most forecasts, outside of the next 48 hours are not very accurate.

Ultreya,
Joe

I will be starting from Pamplona on April 28th, finishing at Santiago on May 31st
Everything..... snow too, who knows? I look at it all as a collective process of God, for purification. And I enjoy walking with this in mind :) Buen Camino

Gypsywind:Joe, thanks for that info. I spent a lot of time at sea, and have BIG HEAVY Foul Weather Gear, do you have any recommendations on brands of lightweight rain gear? I will be visiting family in Chicago before I head to my flight, good to know there is Good Camino JUJU nearby !!

I started on March 23rd in 2010 and 2011. We had no snow until the very top and then it was quite sparse. The mornings were cold -4C but the day warmed up to maybe 5-8C. This was not uncomfortable. I mostly walked in a long sleeve Under Armor shirt and a fleece. You will be generating a lot of heat while walking. It can seem colder if windy or raining. This is why I recommend rain gear over ponchos. A good light weight pair of rain pants will block wind and keep your pants dry.

This is a great time to walk, imo. Not too crowded, with the exception of Easter week, and everything is starting to bloom.

Extended forecasts, imo, are useless except for giving you an average norm. Most forecasts, outside of the next 48 hours are not very accurate.

Ultreya,
Joe

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I left same date 2011. Expect anything and everything. The key is layering with merino close to body, lightweight, and as the mornings warmed up (as they do), easily removed. I also had possum fingerless gloves that were invaluable many times early in the day in the cooler weather or with the cold winds. Take a hat cos it's hot too. Rain pants good for Galicia. Pyrenees cold windy.

Gypsywind:

I would recommend you go to an REI store and talk to them about your plans. Let them know weight is a factor and the season you are walking. They should be able to get something that is right for you.

The biggest change I make each year is trying to find lighter gear.

Ultreya,
Joe

I left same date 2011. Expect anything and everything. The key is layering with merino close to body, lightweight, and as the mornings warmed up (as they do), easily removed. I also had possum fingerless gloves that were invaluable many times early in the day in the cooler weather or with the cold winds. Take a hat cos it's hot too. Rain pants good for Galicia. Pyrenees cold windy.
Thanks for all that !!! Sadly, I see my bag getting heavier, but better that than ill prepared!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Gypsywind:

I would recommend you go to an REI store and talk to them about your plans. Let them know weight is a factor and the season you are walking. They should be able to get something that is right for you.

Ultreya,
Joe
I am using REI mail order, I do have a decent outdoors sports store, but they don't carry a lot of my needs, I can special order, but eek, no return!! so I will stick with mail. I will get rain pants,now for sure. Thanks for your advice, greatly appreciated and greatly needed !!

Best Regards, Gypsywind

I'm not saying exactly that they are the norm in May. What I'm saying is that (usually) there's no May in the part of the meseta crossed by the Camino Francés without some days with minimum temperatures below 5ºC. The number of days with those minimum temperatures vary from year to year and it can be most days (let's say more than 20 days in the month) or just some days (let's say less than 10 days in the month). We can't say they are the norm because the May average for minimum temperatures is usually above 5ºC but we can say minimum temperatures below 5ºC happen every year on some days.

A relevant point is that those are just the minimum temperatures. Minimum temperatures are usually found at dawn getting warmer later on the day with maximum temperatures that in May are usually between 15ºC and 21ºC although, of course, you may find some hotter or colder days.

P.S.: For a rough figure about average temperatures in the meseta in April, calculate 3 degrees Celsius less than the numbers I quoted above for May.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Castilian

As you, rightly, often point out to us the finer points of the Spanish language, may I point out to you that 'below' (as in temperature for example) is written with one 'l' and that 'bellow' with two 'l' is a quite different word/concept, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellows

Buen Camino, SY

As you, rightly, often point out to us the finer points of the Spanish language, may I point out to you that 'below' (as in temperature for example) is written with one 'l' and that 'bellow' with two 'l' is a quite different word/concept, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellows

Thank you! I'm really glad you pointed it out.

I had completely forgotten that below is written with a single /l/ and I think I've been writing it wrongly all the time in the forum (and that's several times)... :( Now, you refreshed my memory and I'll write it rightly in the future what it's always a good thing so thank you very much!

P.S.: I like to be corrected when I'm wrong so don't hesitate to make it (either in public or in private, as you feel more confortable).

P.S.(2): I'll edit right now the two posts on this thread where I typed it wrongly.

Gypsywind:

Ultreya,
Joe
With all due respect, just don't tell them that you will be walking inSpain in the late Spring, because to a foreigner who has no idea of the weather in Spain, they imagine sun, sun and more sun! That happens in the South of Spain, but definitely not in the North!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I normally walk in April and May and the weather is not an issue for me , however the pollen count can be pretty high after you cross over el pardon . So, you may want to bring along some allergy meds. That time of year is very beautiful with everything in spring bloom.

Expect the 4 seasons.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I normally walk in April and May and the weather is not an issue for me , however the pollen count can be pretty high after you cross over el pardon . So, you may want to bring along some allergy meds. That time of year is very beautiful with everything in spring bloom.
No need to carry hay fever meds. If you need them you can get anti-histamines at any Pharmacia along the way.

Farmacias are readily available in most villages depending on time of arrival. In order to use the meds you have to carry them with you sí y no? If you arrive during siesta ,you may have to wait 3 hours for the farmacia to reopen. Where you obtain them is a personal choice , Just my opinion, Buen camino

No need to carry hay fever meds. If you need them you can get anti-histamines at any Pharmacia along the way.
Depending upon the medication, I would recommend carrying enough for a day or two, and using local farmacias to replace any you use. You may have some where it is just as easy to take enough for all the time you will be away.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back