• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What pushed or invited or drew you to set off for 'The Camino'?

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2006, CP 2013, Salvador2017,
Inglés 2019
Recently, some threads have led me to ask this question:
Actually, what pushed you to hit send on booking tickets to take you to 'The Camino'?
We might use the word precisely, or exactly - but what was it, how was it, who was it... that drew you to The Camino de Santiago?
This question does not ask for opinions, just plain information, facts.
And, having hit send, and gone to Spain, or France, or wherever, and set off to Santiago de Compostela, what was the key for you? Was once enough? If not, why did you repeat?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Actually, what pushed you to hit send on booking tickets to take you to 'The Camino'?

My late mother-in-law walked the Camino Frances in 1985 as part of an international group. That was about the time that we first met. I was fascinated by Barbara's account of the journey. Pilgrimage also featured in the university degree course which I started in 1986. After thinking about the Camino on and off for five years I walked the Frances myself for the first time in 1990.

And, having hit send, and gone to Spain, or France, or wherever, and set off to Santiago de Compostela, what was the key for you? Was once enough? If not, why did you repeat?

Nowhere near enough! :) I went on to repeat the Camino Frances several times, walk a number of other Caminos in Spain and other pilgrim routes at home in the UK and in France, Switzerland, Italy, Sweden, Norway and Japan. I already have my flights booked for another Camino Frances walk later this year with a friend and may squeeze in a solo walk before then. Not sure I could give a simple answer to "Why?". A love of solitude and movement? Sensing the history along the way? Simply scratching the itch of restlessness in my daily life? A messy tangled bag of reasons I think.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We might use the word precisely, or exactly - but what was it, how was it, who was it... that drew you to The Camino de Santiago?

It’s difficult, at least for me, to point to (objective) facts behind a decision that seems to be purely emotion-based. If I try to peel away all the subjective aspects there’s not much left. Probably there were some specific things, things heard and things seen, that contributed to my decision to walk my first Camino, but in the end it came together as a feeling that I wanted to do it. Only one thing really comes to mind. In 2015 by pure chance, I came across an account (120 pages) written in 2007 by Danish Simon Graves who walked the Frances the previous year. I was quite fascinated by that story and during the next couple of years it just kept growing on me until in 2017 I walked my first Camino. It turned out to be everything I had imagined -and more (yes, I did go with a lot of expectations :) ).

It’s difficult, at least for me, to point to (objective) facts behind a decision that seems to be purely emotion-based. If I try to peel away all the subjective aspects there’s not much left. Probably there were some specific things, things heard and things seen, that contributed to my decision to walk my first Camino, but in the end it came together as a feeling that I wanted to do it. Only one thing really comes to mind. In 2015 by pure chance, I came across an account (120 pages) written in 2007 by Danish Simon Graves who walked the Frances the previous year. I was quite fascinated by that story and during the next couple of years it just kept growing on me until in 2017 I walked my first Camino. It turned out to be everything I had imagined -and more (yes, I did go with a lot of expectations :) ).
Can you share the account? Thanks for reply!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can you share the account?

You should be able to download it from the homepage of “Foreningen af Danske Santiagopilgrimme” (Association of Danish Santiago Pilgrims), but apparently the download-link doesn’t work. I do have it as a PDF-file, but as it is copy-righted I’m not sure that I’m allowed to distribute it. Anyway, it is in Danish, so it would be a bit of a job for you reading it.

The Camino didn't draw me in at all, but friendship did.

I've been aware of the camino since childhood, thanks to a chaper in a National Geographic book about the Middle Ages - but assumed it was an exclusively Christian or Catholic thing. And I've never been drawn to that kind of pilgrimage.

But when a friend asked if I would be interested to join her to walk for two weeks, I jumped at the chance, liking both Spain and walking. I had no expectations and did no planning - it was very short-notice.

I keep coming back for many reasons, similar to what Sabine says.

Andandand...Many things. Walking distance is a both a test and an ongoing exploration of the limits of both mind and body - and it teaches me how to deal skillfully with adversity of all sorts. It's made me more resilient, more grateful, more content, and more confident. That's all work in progress.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My first winter following the death of my wife was........ Empty. I have a wonderful son, but my wife was my best friend. Not the same.
I'm living in a strange land, and at that point I had yet to really learn any proper German. To top it all off I was made redundant. As much as I love to read, there's only so many English books worth reading in the local library, and I couldn't afford to keep buying books. For the first time I started watching YouTube videos.
I found @NadineK 's videos. I binged on them. 3 or 4 every night. After the first week I got my ass off the couch and went for a walk. A few weeks later my beloved niece invited my son for a week's holiday in Norway over Easter. My German course was about to start but I thought F.. it, and I booked my flights in and out of Santiago and walked the Inglés.

Why did I go back? Because the Inglès was far far too short. Because, like Sabine ( ironically, also my wife's name) I love walking, and I loved the simplicity - walk, eat , sleep, repeat. I, too, love relative solitude and thought that's how I would walk, but the Camino had other plans for me. I found I actually quite like my fellow pilgrims, and only ever walked alone when I truly desired to.
I wanted to walk for longer but I had a two-week window in July - and I'm one of those people that want always to do a complete camino, not just part of one. And complete for me means from the named beginning to the named end. The Primitivo fitted the bill perfectly. It was still too short. So yes I will be back, and for the purest amongst you that say that the only true full camino is from your doorstep - that's exactly what I'm doing. I can only do it in pieces this year, 200km down, another 3,300 or so to go. Next year........

I do miss being in Spain though. So who knows, I might just have to take a short holiday, and find a camino that fits !

That's an interesting subject @Kirkie For me, I can trace the links quite clearly. The Camino had blipped on my radar from time to time in the years before I decided to walk the Camino Frances in 2011.

The first time was when I came across Shirley Maclaine's book: The Camino: A Journey of the Spirit. I think it was in the early 2000s. My lasting memory of the book is that it was ‘not my cup of tea'. Much of her tale was devoted to dreams and past lives. Some of the anecdotes of her earthly experiences were funny and well told, but there were others that didn’t ring true – even though I’d never been on a Camino - like running almost 9 miles after trekking 15 to outwit the paparazzi! And how did ‘the paps’ know she was there? Though I read Shirley’s story through to The End my engagement in her tale was shadowed by irritation and more than a niggling doubt as to the authenticity of some events. On the other hand, it was her story and who was I to question her experience. And, in any case, what an extraordinary thing to do. I was struck by the adventure of walking 800 kms across a country. Is that something I could do? And then, life intervened and it promptly blipped off my radar as suddenly as it had appeared.

Some years later, I read Paulo Coelho’s book The Pilgrimage. I’m not sure why I picked it up one day in a bookstore – perhaps because I’d enjoyed The Alchemist. But The Pilgrimage not as much. That said, I recall thinking – that’s related to the walk from Shirley Maclaine's book. And then it too promptly blipped off my radar.

Fast forward May 2011, tucked up in bed listening to The Nightlife on Sydney’s ABC radio, the host Tony Delroy (Sydney forum members may recall him) was interviewing a man about his new book on the Camino. I won't mention the author or title of the book - having listened to the interview I was not at all drawn to reading his book - but, once again, I was drawn to The Camino. Without wanting to sound ‘all Shirley Maclaine’, it felt like some sort of sign to me that this walk would appear on my radar for the third time - even though it involved three books - two of which I didn't particularly appreciate and a third that I had no interest in reading.

I'd never met anyone who had walked a Camino but the next morning I got on the Google to find out more. And 4 months later I found myself in Saint Jean Pied de Port and the next day I took my first footsteps in Spain. I knew very little about what was in store - for which, to this day, I remain grateful.

As for the many paths since then, @SabsP says it well -

I love walking. I love the simplicity. I love relative solitude ...

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'd love to be able to remember the very first moment I became aware of this thing called the Camino, but I can't! But for the last 15 years, our paths have constantly crossed, both physically and by way of books/docus etc - and it was always going to be something I was going to do "one day" like a lot of people.

That one day came around on August 18th last year. I'd lost Flora my dog quite suddenly and traumatically in May, and my life had been unravelling ever since with nothing helping. August the 18th I woke up knowing I had to go and walk the Camino (CF), it was as close to something calling you as you could get. I told work and booked my boat that day. In September 2023 I began, and Flora was with me in so many ways along the way.

I don't think the Camino will ever leave me, not least beacuse I've had a long-standing love affair with the whole of NW Spain which has become my second home. Finally getting to walk it exceeded any and all expectations I could have had (although I made a point of not going expecting anything). It was everything from the books, films and more. So you can probably guess that once isn't going to be enough for me! In July I am taking my godson Harry (14yr) to walk the Primitivo ☺️

Health.
My doctor prescribed either chemical chelation OR long distance walking for my MCS.
After researching chemical chelation and finding a large percentage of people using it ended up with kidney and liver damage, I chose walking. My partner at the time grew up Catholic and suggested the Camino, and was kind enough to go with me. I left feeling like crap and came home feeling good for the first time in a long time. The "good" lasted just about a year. But I couldn't afford to go to Spain every year - so I began taking small groups to pay for my own trips.

The Camino can be exhausting, but also is healing; physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What can I say? It gets under your skin and into your soul, and it just keeps calling!

Two profound events in 2016: My Mother passed, and soon after I lost my job after a long and tortuous campaign to get me to quit. I needed to step off the grid and process things. I'd had never hiked, but was in reasonable shape, so bought some boots, a backpack and a plane ticket and off I went with just a week of preparation and not even a guide book. The Camino experience was transformational for me in every way, and I returned to the US five weeks later recharged, thinking clearly and firing on all cylinders.

In graduate school 60 years ago I attended courses by the great medieval art/architecture historian Meyer Schapiro. Several erudite lectures focused on the architecture along the Camino Frances, not only famous monuments but also simple vernacular buildings.

Schapiro stressed the importance of carved shells as the major iconic motif for identifying all related to Saint James as well as the immense social impact of the camino path across northern Spain; the path became the 'main street' with ‘burgos de francos’ or independent neighborhoods settled by former pilgrims nearby and, thus, the towns developed. ...

Bingo I was hooked and decided that someday I would walk that path myself. I did in 2004 for the first of many times thinking that it would be "easy" to reach the start of the CF by train from our Paris apartment.

I loved walking the camino then and continue to love those memories now.
For more reasons see Why I Walked.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
For me the reason for attempting the Camino was for a challenge. I’d seen many people walking on my various motorcycle trips to Spain.
One day I was in a cafe and saw two very wet, very tired pilgrims and thought to my self…I should try that.
About 8 months later I verbalised my plan to my wife. She thought that it was a great idea. I booked a flight and some accommodation in SJPP.
Unfortunately a few months later my wife got very sick, The Camino was on hold. Sadly, but sparingly, she passed away a month after diagnosis. A while later my Camino was back on.
So, sorry I’m rambling as usual, in late September 2017 my challenge began. An adventure unfolded. A more fitting experience for where I found myself in life I can’t imagine.
I didn’t walk all the way to Santiago for any religious beliefs or reasons. But my challenge certainly had some sort of spiritual effect as I was able to work lots of things out.

Have I returned? Well, I still look at the forum and post from time to time.
I’ve since walked Porto to Santiago twice.
The Via Serrana. The first 300 miles of the VDLP (a swollen leg stopped play) and next week I’m off to Almería to try the Mozárabe to Mérida.

Why? For the infrastructure along the route. The yellow arrows that have become my ‘friends’. For the people I meet, the places I stay and the wonderful Spanish countryside that I get to walk through.
The fact that God doesn’t play a part in it for me and that I’ve never felt judged by anyone for that, proves to me what a great experience it is. Add to that the challenge and adventure….what more could you want.

A great bonus for me is that my new life partner, my now wife, likes it too. But she prefers two wheels to two feet. Getting the bicycle to the start is a bit of a hassle but she is more than worth it.

I hope forum members will indulge me this long, multi chaptered story!
In 1989, my wife-to-be and I were looking for somewhere low cost to honeymoon. We had a tight budget to pay for our own wedding, though my in-laws paid for Carol and the bridesmaids' dresses.
Then my late Dad, a couple of months before the big day, pressed a cheque into my hand, for a honeymoon. We decided not to fly to the sun, but to drive to France in our beat-up orange Saab, 'Tigger' who was the third member of our new family.
We picked a hitlist of gites-de-sejour (holiday cottages, French style) from an English language brochure.
We drove to the Auvergne - avoiding autoroutes it took three days! We stayed in a lovely hamlet just a few kilometres from Le Puy-en-Velay. When visiting the city, we noticed some references to the pilgrimage to St Jacques de Compostelle. I can't remember quite what I said, but something like: "I thought pilgrimage died out in the Middle Ages; it can only be religious nutters who do it now!"

Fast forward to 2011. We took an April holiday in Bilbao (for the Guggenheim) and some camping in the Spanish Basque country. We checked in for a couple of nights to a campsite near Puente la Reina. A tourist leaflet at reception mentioned something called the "Camino de Santiago", of which I knew nothing. But in the evening, bored and short of reading material, I began to read the reverse of the leaflet, which was in French. And "St Jacques de Compostelle" triggered the memory of 22 years earlier.
Out of curiosity, we decided to walk a stage. To fit in with public transport, we walked against the flow, from Puente to Pamplona.
We met over 100 pilgrims. Many were anxious to know why we were going the wrong way. And they weren't religious fanatics or "nutters"! They were quite like us.
The seed was planted. In 2016 we managed to sell our house and take early retirement. We each made a wishlist of what we would do with our new freedom. And on both of our lists was tandem cycling the Camino (we are regular tandem cyclists). In June/July 2017 we had a glorious adventure, cycling from home in Hampshire, UK, via Portsmouth and St Malo to Mont St Michel, and from there following the Plantagenets Way to Royan, then a long the Voie littorale and up the Voie de Nive to SJPdP. We pedalled/hauled our heavy bike over the Napoleon Route and followed a hybrid road/path version of the CF, to Santiago, and then parts of the Norte to Santander and the ferry home.
The culture of pilgrimage - the built heritage but mainly the pilgrims - had me hooked. I wanted to walk it. In April 2018 I took the train under the Channel and down to Le Puy. I walked to SJpdP and the following year came back to finish the job to Santiago.
And we cycled the Camino de Lana!

During the pandemic Carol, never previously a walker, persuaded me that we should walk a local route (Wayfarers Way). And in 2021 we followed up with the Pilgrims' Way, from home to Canterbury. Now she was after some Camino action!

In early 2022, I flew to Seville to walk the VdlP, and a few days later Carol flew to Biarritz to walk the Frances. We rendezvoused in Santiago. Now we're both hooked! In 2023 we both walked long Caminos. They won't be the last ....

Does that long story answer the OP's questions?!

P.s. Rereading this, I would like to clarify that I didn't and don't regard people of faith as "nutters". I have a faith of my own, but had considered pilgrimage as an archaic ritual, which only certain fanatics would practice. And now I am one of those fanatics and it seems far from archaic!

Last edited:
I discussed this with my husband, but the best I can come up with was that sometime during early Covid, I must have read an article (BBC travel, I suspect) about the Camino. As I've been quite clear in the past, I never saw *any* movies or videos, booked our first Sarria to Santiago leg through Camino Ways, and only bought the Brierley guide.

I had also moved and joined a new church, which I discovered later was specifically dedicated to St James as pilgrim. Our parish priest was quite excited to hear our plan and counseled us on what obstacles we might encounter.

I've walked since, and we'll walk in 2025. It's quite religious for us, and yes.. exhausting and healing.

And also to be clear, I am thrilled to see people walking for every reason. To me, the key is to just come searching, even if you don't know what you're looking for, or even if you think you do. And prepare to be surprised...;)

Last edited:
Heard about the Caminos as a minor in Confirmation classes at the local church.

Wanted to walk a longer hike before I turn 50 and at first I wanted to walk the thuringian Rennsteig in Germany. But I did see a documentation on the Camino frances on TV the year prior to my first Camino and decided that this was the right thing to do, despite the fact that my marriage was on the downfall (separated in 2022). Never regretted this decision!

I hope forum members will indulge me this long, multi chaptered story!
In 1989, my wife-to-be and I were looking for somewhere low cost to honeymoon. We had a tight budget to pay for our own wedding, though my in-laws paid for Carol and the bridesmaids' dresses.
Then my late Dad, a couple of months before the big day, pressed a cheque into my hand, for a honeymoon. We decided not to fly to the sun, but to drive to France in our beat-up orange Saab, 'Tigger' who was the third member of our new family.
We picked a hitlist of gites-de-sejour (holiday cottages, French style) from an English language brochure.
We drove to the Auvergne - avoiding autoroutes it took three days! We stayed in a lovely hamlet just a few kilometres from Le Puy-en-Velay. When visiting the city, we noticed some references to the pilgrimage to St Jacques de Compostelle. I can't remember quite what I said, but something like: "I thought pilgrimage died out in the Middle Ages; it can only be religious nutters who do it now!"

Fast forward to 2011. We took an April holiday in Bilbao (for the Guggenheim) and some camping in the Spanish Basque country. We checked in for a couple of nights to a campsite near Puente la Reina. A tourist leaflet at reception mentioned something called the "Camino de Santiago", of which I knew nothing. But in the evening, bored and short of reading material, I began to read the reverse of the leaflet, which was in French. And "St Jacques de Compostelle" triggered the memory of 22 years earlier.
Out of curiosity, we decided to walk a stage. To fit in with public transport, we walked against the flow, from Puente to Pamplona.
We met over 100 pilgrims. Many were anxious to know why we were going the wrong way. And they weren't religious fanatics or "nutters"! They were quite like us.
The seed was planted. In 2016 we managed to sell our house and take early retirement. We each made a wishlist of what we would do with our new freedom. And on both of our lists was tandem cycling the Camino (we are regular tandem cyclists). In June/July 2017 we had a glorious adventure, cycling from home in Hampshire, UK, via Portsmouth and St Malo to Mont St Michel, and from there following the Plantagenets Way to Royan, then a long the Voie littorale and up the Voie de Nive to SJPdP. We pedalled/hauled our heavy bike over the Napoleon Route and followed a hybrid road/path version of the CF, to Santiago, and then parts of the Norte to Santander and the ferry home.
The culture of pilgrimage - the built heritage but mainly the pilgrims - had me hooked. I wanted to walk it. In April 2018 I took the train under the Channel and down to Le Puy. I walked to SJpdP and the following year came back to finish the job to Santiago.
And we cycled the Camino de Lana!

During the pandemic Carol, never previously a walker, persuaded me that we should walk a local route (Wayfarers Way). And in 2021 we followed up with the Pilgrims' Way, from home to Canterbury. Now she was after some Camino action!

In early 2022, I flew to Seville to walk the VdlP, and a few days later Carol flew to Biarritz to walk the Frances. We rendezvoused in Santiago. Now we're both hooked! In 2023 we both walked long Caminos. They won't be the last ....

Does that long story answer the OP's questions?!

P.s. Rereading this, I would like to clarify that I didn't and don't regard people of faith as "nutters". I have a faith of my own, but had considered pilgrimage as an archaic ritual, which only certain fanatics would practice. And now I am one of those fanatics and it seems far from archaic!
What a beautiful story of your path before you even got on the path!

For me it was a ramp-up before my first Camino. As many Germans I knew the (audio-)book "Ich bin dann mal weg" of the German comedian Hape Kerkeling. This was actually my first and main inspiration. I love long distance walking anyway, so it was soon clear that I would walk from SJPDP to Santiago some day.
The second big push was when a former colleague and friend walked the way and afterwards gave a presentation in my living room, stories, images ... all that. But then it took another 3 years before I actually started. So from the first idea to actually walking took almost a decade! I had been way too busy moving country, ramping up our small company, moving house again ... and then one day all the puzzle bits fell into place and I could take some weeks off.

With some delay (Covid-times), last year I walked my second camino and it will certainly not have been my last one. I just enjoy Spain and that sort of walking way too much. :cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was nearing retirement. My wife and I were transitioning from wilderness backpacking to more 'urban' trekking (Santa Cruz to Monterey, e.g.). She read about the Camino on one if the blogs she follows and I thought abstractly: we could do that.
The idea remained in the back of my mind, nebulous, theoretical. But it always resurfaced, and when it had percolated enough, I suppose, it popped up as a fully fledged commitment. We bought airline tickets and tweaked our gear and just... went.
Our first was (in my mind) a "proper" Camino; staying in albergues and up walking every day at 6. Soldiered on to Santiago in 32 days.
We thought about the experience every day at home, mapped out our favorite places, and went back two years later. This time we used up our 90 day limit, stayed a few days in each of those favorite places, took the train or bus here and there.
I guess we liked it; here we are in Cantabria with the Camino passing by our building.

Attachments

• IMG_20240218_162322_edit_6040314526874706.jpg
    IMG_20240218_162322_edit_6040314526874706.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 19
God willing, I will begin my first camino in less than 60 days. My purpose is three-fold… #1: I had always wanted to walk the Appalachian Trail and Pacific Coast Trail in the USA. But my back gave out before I could ever realize that dream/goal. Multiple back surgeries over five years, I was still in constant pain and couldn’t walk 100 feet. Admittedly, I fell into depression and hopelessness. I couldn’t work. I couldn’t spend time in my garden or woodshop for years. But one day, I just started walking in my neighborhood. Every day I could go a bit farther. Both my mental and physical state began to respond positively. Months later, I was walking 6 miles/day and had lost 40 pounds. I felt better than I had in decades. #2: I began to feel God encouraging me to go on pilgrimage, on the Camino Frances. I could carry a light backpack and sleep in a bed each night. I had become very introverted during my years struggling with my back. The Camino would force me to step out of my comfort zone of being a homebody, meet strangers and make new friends. And I could deepen my walk with Christ as I spend time with Him walking the Camino. #3 Some 38 years ago, I hosted an exchange student from Spain. We’ve not seen each other since he returned to Spain after finishing his 11th grade in high school here in Texas. He will be meeting me in Madrid when I land, and will join me on weekends to walk with me on the Camino. He lives in Vigo, just 70 miles from Santiago. So my plan is to travel to his home and meet his family when my walk is over. So my pilgrimage will be a celebration of life, renewed friendship, and deepening my walk with my Savior. God willing.

I had been severely depressed for many years, suffered from massive insomnia for most of my life, plus social anxiety and panic attacks. A complete nightmare with no quality of life.

I had just finished university, my beloved pet had died out of nowhere, my roommate moved to another country, so I quit my jobs, quit my apartment, gave away most of my belongings for free or dumped them, payed my debts, and made plans to finally end my life.

Now, I had known of the Camino's existance for a while (in my country there's a famous book everyone knows - I hadn't read it but knew about it). I had always wanted to do something like the Camino (backpacking, interrail or hiking...) but had never dared to and never had the money, also. I wasn't a hiker, not doing any sports. More of a couch potato.So I never did anything like it and completely forgot about it.

Now there I was, preparing the logistics of ending my life, when for some reason the idea of walking the Camino came back into my mind out of nowhere.

I have no idea why, but from one moment to the other it was absolutely certain that I would do it as a "last try".

I had nothing to lose. It was the Camino or... nothing.

So I did some research, realized that the little money I still had in my bank account might just be enough to get to Santiago... and then after brooding about it for a while, finally went to the bus station and booked a ticket for two days later. Never felt so relieved and happy and anxious at the same time.

So that's how I came to walking the Camino.

I'm still alive so I guess it did somehow work 😂.

I repeat it because it is the only thing that keeps the depression away. It makes me happy.

When I read that others say it's only another hiking path or not worth doing it anymore because there are too many people walking, that makes me sad. You have no idea how much impact the Camino can still have on someone's life.

For me it was a life-saving experience (and still is, every time I walk).

Yeah. Bit personal. But that's it. Maybe someone who's in a similar position and reading this can take some motivation from it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had known about the Camino for years, but only as a small, kind-of-interesting, detail. But it was there in my mind, collecting dust.

In 2015 I was responsible for caring for my elderly dad-in-law. The daily grind, having to stay inside all day when not driving to doctor appts…… The Camino burst forth in my mind. Outside!!!! Outside!!! I needed to be OUTSIDE with nobody needing anything from me!!!

He died in 2016. I couldn’t find anyone to come with me. Either not interested or not enough vacation time.

One day I found myself declaring to my John that I couldn’t depend on others for my happiness (he just about fainted) so I had decided that, even though I was terrified of going alone, I was going to do the Camino Francés (much relieved, he jumped right in and helped me train and plan).

I left May 2017 and walked from SJPdP to Santiago. OUTSIDE! I found that the towns just made me antsy. I really needed to be outside. It filled me up. And my John was waiting for me in Santiago. 🥰

I thought that was it, but within weeks we were planning another one. John and I did the Inglés the following March 2018 and he was hooked, too. We did the Lebaniego Vadiniense in October 2019. The best time of our lives!

He died suddenly three years ago yesterday. I took his ashes and placed them under a tree near the path on the Lebaniego, overlooking the Picos de Europa.

At present I am doing the Via Francigena alone. I walked Canterbury to Brienne-le-Château last April/May. In July/August my son and I will continue as far as Santhià and the following Spring I’ll make it to Rome, God willing.

So what drew me? A deep need to escape into the sunshine/rain/snow/Life and an equally deep need to not be afraid to do something just because nobody else can or wants to do it, too.

I lost 130 pounds and was looking for a new challenge. I had seen a Rick Steves show on the Camino and the idea just grew from there. Little did I know the walk itself would change my life as much as losing the weight. When I got to Cruz de Ferro I was overwhelmed with emotion. I made a series of videos of my walk and I am sharing the one that caught the transition I went through at that pile of rocks! YouTube video of my encounter with Cruz de Ferro0'ThenAndNowSteve7years (4).jpg

Over ten years ago, my then-roommate broke up with her then-boyfriend. The ex-boyfriend then went to walk the Camino. This was my first time hearing about it. I remember looking it up, thinking, "That's quite insane and not something I'd ever be interested in." I thought I'd forgotten about it, but it must have been filed away somewhere deep in the recesses of my brain, waiting.

In September 2023, I was walking in the forest with a friend when a thought popped into my head as I was looking at a sunbeam striking through the canopy. The thought was, "Maybe I should walk the Camino." In fact, it was not so much a coherent thought as a vision of a footpath through rolling fields, with the great blue sky above and a village in the distance.

I spoke to a spiritual guide of mine, telling her about this experience, and my hesitations. She said to me, "Sometimes a call like this is a portal. And if you don't heed it, the portal may close."

I booked the ticket that night.

What pushed me to buy my ticket? As a lot of others I first heard about the Camino years ago. At the time I had two very young children and limited holidays. I pushed it to the back of my mind and then forgot about it. Fast forward 35 years the kids have grown up, my husband has died and the BBC have a series about the Camino. That's it after the first programme I buy an e-book that night and a few days later I book a flight for the following September. This is late 2019.
we all know what happened in 2020so my Camino was postponed for a year. I read anything I could get my hands on about the Camino, yes I was over prepared but the Camino changed my life in many ways.
Was once enough? No but I have walked different routes each year. 2022 the CP and on to Finesterra, 2023 the VF Sienna to Rome arriving at the Vatican on my 70th birthday. Later this year I will be walking the English way.
While it was good ending in Rome There is nothing quite like walking into Santiago and I plan to do this once a year for as long as I am able.

Our family was on a “finding your roots” trip in Norway in 2011, ending at the St Olav festival in Trondheim because we thought the kids would enjoy it. Sitting at midnight mass in the cathedral, I noticed people coming in with hiking staffs and dressed in hiking clothes, pretty odd for a church service. We were told they were pilgrims from Oslo to Trondheim, on one of the many European pilgrimage routes. I came home fascinated and booked the first short beginning/end of the Frances, due to time constraints. I remember being on the plane home and saying I was glad I did it because now I never had to do it again. I’m blessed with travel adventures and still have a few more crazy ones on my bucket list. But somehow, I keep getting drawn back to Caminos. And St Olavsden is on the bucket list.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
God willing, I will begin my first camino in less than 60 days. My purpose is three-fold… #1: I had always wanted to walk the Appalachian Trail and Pacific Coast Trail in the USA. But my back gave out before I could ever realize that dream/goal. Multiple back surgeries over five years, I was still in constant pain and couldn’t walk 100 feet. Admittedly, I fell into depression and hopelessness. I couldn’t work. I couldn’t spend time in my garden or woodshop for years. But one day, I just started walking in my neighborhood. Every day I could go a bit farther. Both my mental and physical state began to respond positively. Months later, I was walking 6 miles/day and had lost 40 pounds. I felt better than I had in decades. #2: I began to feel God encouraging me to go on pilgrimage, on the Camino Frances. I could carry a light backpack and sleep in a bed each night. I had become very introverted during my years struggling with my back. The Camino would force me to step out of my comfort zone of being a homebody, meet strangers and make new friends. And I could deepen my walk with Christ as I spend time with Him walking the Camino. #3 Some 38 years ago, I hosted an exchange student from Spain. We’ve not seen each other since he returned to Spain after finishing his 11th grade in high school here in Texas. He will be meeting me in Madrid when I land, and will join me on weekends to walk with me on the Camino. He lives in Vigo, just 70 miles from Santiago. So my plan is to travel to his home and meet his family when my walk is over. So my pilgrimage will be a celebration of life, renewed friendship, and deepening my walk with my Savior. God willing.
Wow I love that you are going to meet and walk with your former exchange student, thats wonderful and such an intricate connection :)

I had been severely depressed for many years, suffered from massive insomnia for most of my life, plus social anxiety and panic attacks. A complete nightmare with no quality of life.

I had just finished university, my beloved pet had died out of nowhere, my roommate moved to another country, so I quit my jobs, quit my apartment, gave away most of my belongings for free or dumped them, payed my debts, and made plans to finally end my life.

Now, I had known of the Camino's existance for a while (in my country there's a famous book everyone knows - I hadn't read it but knew about it). I had always wanted to do something like the Camino (backpacking, interrail or hiking...) but had never dared to and never had the money, also. I wasn't a hiker, not doing any sports. More of a couch potato.So I never did anything like it and completely forgot about it.

Now there I was, preparing the logistics of ending my life, when for some reason the idea of walking the Camino came back into my mind out of nowhere.

I have no idea why, but from one moment to the other it was absolutely certain that I would do it as a "last try".

I had nothing to lose. It was the Camino or... nothing.

So I did some research, realized that the little money I still had in my bank account might just be enough to get to Santiago... and then after brooding about it for a while, finally went to the bus station and booked a ticket for two days later. Never felt so relieved and happy and anxious at the same time.

So that's how I came to walking the Camino.

I'm still alive so I guess it did somehow work 😂.

I repeat it because it is the only thing that keeps the depression away. It makes me happy.

When I read that others say it's only another hiking path or not worth doing it anymore because there are too many people walking, that makes me sad. You have no idea how much impact the Camino can still have on someone's life.

For me it was a life-saving experience (and still is, every time I walk).

Yeah. Bit personal. But that's it. Maybe someone who's in a similar position and reading this can take some motivation from it.
Thats amazing, beautifully touching and I am so glad you're still here to write those words that brought me to tears. Thank you for being so honest. Would love to hear about your journey and how it helped you in more detail if ever you wished to tell 🙏

I suffer from depression that reoccurs regularly. In 2014 I was going through a particularly rough time, very depressed and not sure if it was worth it to keep going on even though I was and still am in a wonderful relationship with Janet, my wife. On a dreary Sunday in Boise in 2014 we watched the movie “The Way”. I watched the changes in the 4 as they walked. I felt the pull of the Camino. I choked up and asked Janet if we could go and walk the Camino. She said “yes”. For 2 years we read, studied, and watched movies about the Camino. We also examined our finances and started saving for the Camino.

The trip over was really difficult for me even though as a soldier, I had traveled to Europe before. Like some others, the beginning was really physically demanding. I left our phone charger in the albergue in Orrison. I got stronger as we walked. Stronger physically, mentally, and emotionally.

On my return home, I went to my psychiatrist. She was amazed at my change and told me that the depression was in remission. I felt good.

I have returned every year except 2020 since that first Camino in 2016. Due to an injury in July 2017, I couldn’t walk or carry a pack, so Janet and I went to hospitalero training through American Pilgrims. That began out experiences as hospitaleros and from 2018 on to also walk.

The gift to me from the Camino is life. It is my happy place as I have told my current psychiatrist. Do I still struggle with major depression? Sometimes I do. I’m no longer afraid to talk about my mental health after all it is a disease. I learned from the Camino that I need to be outside when possible. I need to walk and do other exercise. Perhaps more importantly talk and plan for my next Camino or adventure.

Phil

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sometime round 2010, just after we had just returned from a 15 months overland trip with our eight kids and Grandpa (when I still had itchy feet) I saw a post on the travel forum boots-n-all.....it was essentially a series of photos some guy had taken on this thing called the Camino. I copied and pasted them into a document, and sent it to my husband who appreciates good photography. He said, "We have to go there".
We hiked a lot as a family, but just day hikes, never day-after-day walking and our youngest was still a preschooler. Besides, we had to wait for my husband to accrue some leave!!
2012 we had six weeks. We spent a week in Paris, a couple of weeks on the camino (just to try it out from Astorga to Santiago), a week in London and a week on a canalboat. We did not know it at the time, but it would end up being our last family holiday with just us and all the kids (and Grandpa) - by the next holiday there would be kids' partners joining us (which is also great).
Turned out we loved it.
In 2014 I went back with the four youngest kids to do a cobbled together series of routes as a 1500km fundraising walk for charity: water.
In 2015 I asked my husband how we should celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and he said walking a camino. Within a month we had booked tickets and organised for someone to move in with our kids (who were all being homeschooled) while we toddled off to spend a few days in Lisbon and Porto and then walk.
In 2016 I framed a walk as part of the kids' education and again the youngest four walked, having planned walking tours that they would take us on in various cities we would pass through on the Via de la Plata.
In 2018 friends asked us to walk with them, and even though they pulled out, we decided to go ahead. The three kids who would be coming chose the San Salvador/Primitivo combo as their favourite walk that they thought Dad might like to experience as he had not been with us when we'd done that earlier. I also told them about the Madrid route and they all said they didn't want to do it, but I could go and do it first if I wanted. So the kids studied at Daddy's work while I walked my first solo camino, then they joined me in Leon.
In 2020 I was meant to walk from Valencia to Muxia. That didn't happen. Thanks Covid.
By then we also worked out my daughter was suffering from anorexia, and walking has not been a possibility while she was recovering.
She's not there yet, but I have tickets to walk from the beginning of April to the end of June. I was expecting to walk from Almeria to Muxia, but I developed bilateral Achilles tendinopathy and have revised my plans to start in Pamplona. I do not know if I will make it to Santiago on foot. But I am so grateful to be going at all. I will have plenty of time to reflect on our almost-thirty-year home education journey and write and sketch a lot along the way. My husband will be cycling the same route later in the year with a friend.
I still want to walk from Valencia (via the Zamorano) and from Almeria (via the Via de la Plata to Astorga and then on to the Invierno)....and I have maps of loops incorporating the Aragones/Arles and other routes in that region....and there's the Via Francigena....

Last edited:
The Camino didn't draw me in at all, but friendship did.

I've been aware of the camino since childhood, thanks to a chaper in a National Geographic book about the Middle Ages - but assumed it was an exclusively Christian or Catholic thing. And I've never been drawn to that kind of pilgrimage.

But when a friend asked if I would be interested to join her to walk for two weeks, I jumped at the chance, liking both Spain and walking. I had no expectations and did no planning - it was very short-notice.

I keep coming back for many reasons, similar to what Sabine says.

Andandand...Many things. Walking distance is a both a test and an ongoing exploration of the limits of both mind and body - and it teaches me how to deal skillfully with adversity of all sorts. It's made me more resilient, more grateful, more content, and more confident. That's all work in progress.
This is amazing — I read the same National Geographic chapter book on the Middle Ages in the 1970s when I was a kid, thought the Camino sounded cool, and then forgot about it until it resurfaced in a travel piece I read at 31. Then The Way came out, and Hape Kerkerling’s book, and the Camino kept resurfacing…until finally I quit work and made the journey from SJPdP last October. Arriving in SDC fulfilled a half-remembered promise to my nerdy teenaged self, a small town kid who at 14 didn’t know such things might be possible. I’m still sorting out what it means to me.

The button was pushed in 2016 when my two brothers died one month apart, both suddenly and tragically. I’d been dreaming of going on pilgrimage for many years but now I *had* to. Still, responsibilities and, unfortunately, more losses kept me from going. Bought tickets for 2020; no go. The day air travel reopened to Europe I booked a flight to Paris…by then I had some other hard questions about my life to bring to the Camino. By the time I arrived in Santiago I was planning my next pilgrimage to Santa Ovetensis…taken in 2022. This led to serving as a hospi in 2023, and again starting in a week or so…

To answer your remaining questions, I am currently pursuing Spanish citizenship via via direct descent…😉. Perhaps one day I’ll just walk out my front door onto a Camino…

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Short answer: My therapist announced this January that he is relocating to a different city.

Longer, much longer answer: I’ve been in therapy off an on for decades because of a very traumatic childhood (bullying, abuse, etc) resulting in PTSD, which is something that was unknown back then. Some of the therapists were helpful, some were not, and one was particularly traumatic which resulted in me going to rehab 5 years ago, even though I dont’ drink or use substances. After completing rehab, I saw a great therapist for a few years but then the pandemic hit, we managed to do Zoom sessions but it wasnt’ the same. She decided to give up her office and only do Zoom, so I got a different therapist about a year ago, which saw me in person, it was working out well, and I’ve been doing much better lately. So, when this new therapist announced he was moving, he offered to continue on Zoom, or refer me to another therapist, which I didn’t want to do. I contacted my prior therapist but she is winding down her practice, and also offered to refer me elsewhere. That’s when I decided: THAT’S IT! I didn’t want to go through the process of establishing a new therapeutic relationship, having to tell my story all over, not knowing if it would work out. I also figured that maybe it’s time to let all that crap settled down instead of keep stirring it up, as my emotional waters will stay murky if I keep stirring up old wounds. So…the time is now…If not now, then when?

One more thing is that this year is the 10th anniversary of the death from cancer of my significant other, who had a horrible hospitalization August 11 and died on September 11, 2014. When the therapist announced that he was leaving, suddenly I got a powerful message DO THIS NOW!!! So I booked the tickets, I’ll fly to Madrid and start from SJPDP on August 11. I’ve shared here on another thread that I was initially planning to arrive to Santiago on September 11, but since that may or may not be realistic, depending on my progress, I’ll consider stopping at Cruz de Ferro on September 11, then arrive to Santiago on September 22, which is the beginning of fall, thus the beginning of a new season. I booked my return ticket for September 24.

There is more to life than trauma, therapy, or treatment. I’m at the point that I no longer feel any shame about my history, and I feel at peace with my biography. IT’S TIME to move on to a different stage of my life.

I expect to cry a lot, actually, I’ve already been crying just thinking about it, and I’m not even there yet. I’m becoming aware of how much weight I’ve been carrying all these years, and I want to let go of so many things, and open up to whatever life offers me.

I’m from PR, so I grew up in a Latino culture which could be toxic. While I don’t have any specific religious trauma, I’ve been estranged from my own culture and from religion, so I’m hoping to learn better how to grapple with these issues. I feel like a prodigal son, returning home after being away for so long. I’ve been getting back in touch with my language and culture, and it’s already been very emotional.

I dont’ know how long I’ve been aware of the Camino, but it was before the movie. I saw the movie shortly after my SO’s demise, I did like it (except for the brief cremation scene), but doing something like that was unthinkable, as I was still working, and had two cats to take care of. I’m now retired, both cats have since passed away, my therapist is relocating, it’s the 10th anniversary, so…things are aligning in a way I can’t ignore. The Camino is calling…

Thanks for listening…

In the early 2000s. sister gave me a book “ what the Psychic said to the Pilgrim”,not the greatest book, but piqued my interest. A few years later, I saw a group trip from Leon to Santiago with an adventure company and booked it. The trip ended up being cancelled due to low registration, but I had already purchased my air ticket, so went anyway. The first of 6 with #7 this fall.

I pushed that button after having a health scare where I lost 1/3 of my eyesight in one eye due to a blood clot. I had lived in Valencia in 1988 and traveled through Galicia and Santiago during that year thinking that would be a great excuse to kick around Spain again. I read Paulo Coelho's book after my kids were born and it inspired me but reality kicked in. Raising kids and their needs superseded any personal trip of that length but at 45 I wanted to do it to "celebrate" out living my father but again with kids it was hard to justify.

When the clot pushed the button I was able to enlist my 16 year old son to do some of it with me. He did a week before he had to return but I was able to finish the Frances. I had been back to Spain over the years several times on other trips for friends' weddings, family trips and the calling of the Camino was strong. I had a friend who walked in 2015 and my wife and she demanded I do it.

Sadly I was going to return this year but the need for a hip replacement has put Camino 2.0 on hold. I am wish I could join this year and hope that 2025 will be my long awaited return.

Once was not enough, I hope to do a couple of variants, especially the Levante from Valencia.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
For me and dozens of people I have met along The Way, it was THE WAY movie. I will be doing my 12th Camino in April. My reasons for repeating are numerous and sometimes vary.

In 2011, a work colleague of Pat’s mentioned she had seen Brad Kyle’s 2010 book, Memoirs of a Pilgrim, Footprints on the Road to Santiago, on a stand at our local library. We decided to borrow it and it inspired both of us to investigate more about the Camino and we made up our minds to walk the Camino from St Jean to Santiago once we had both retired, Pat in 2013 and me (Anne) in August 2014. Another work colleague of Pat’s gave us a copy of John Brierley’s guidebook at his retirement, with the inscription:
“Have a good life & whatever paths it takes you down make sure this is one of them”.
We left St Jean on 22nd August, 2014. It certainly was an amazing experience both religious and spiritual. Being able to walk in such beautiful countryside and to meet so many wonderful people, Spanish and from all over the world, a number with whom we are still in contact, was fantastic. We didn’t watch The Way until we returned from walking and enjoyed it. The Camino spirit has definitely got into our hearts and we have gone on to walk the Aussie Camino and the West Highland Way in 2015, the Caminho Portuguese from Lisbon in 2016, the Camino del Norte in 2018, four walks in the UK in 2019, COVID put paid to 2020! In 2022 we walked the Frances, Ingles and Primitivo over three months and in 48 days time we are setting off from Australia to walk the Via Podiensis from Le Puy to Santiago starting on the 13th April 2024. We thought our Camino days were over after our walks in 2022 but no, we have decided to go again this year. Who knows if this will be the last, depends on how our bodies hold up!
We are excited and are certainly counting down!

Short answer: My therapist announced this January that he is relocating to a different city.

Longer, much longer answer: I’ve been in therapy off an on for decades because of a very traumatic childhood (bullying, abuse, etc) resulting in PTSD, which is something that was unknown back then. Some of the therapists were helpful, some were not, and one was particularly traumatic which resulted in me going to rehab 5 years ago, even though I dont’ drink or use substances. After completing rehab, I saw a great therapist for a few years but then the pandemic hit, we managed to do Zoom sessions but it wasnt’ the same. She decided to give up her office and only do Zoom, so I got a different therapist about a year ago, which saw me in person, it was working out well, and I’ve been doing much better lately. So, when this new therapist announced he was moving, he offered to continue on Zoom, or refer me to another therapist, which I didn’t want to do. I contacted my prior therapist but she is winding down her practice, and also offered to refer me elsewhere. That’s when I decided: THAT’S IT! I didn’t want to go through the process of establishing a new therapeutic relationship, having to tell my story all over, not knowing if it would work out. I also figured that maybe it’s time to let all that crap settled down instead of keep stirring it up, as my emotional waters will stay murky if I keep stirring up old wounds. So…the time is now…If not now, then when?

One more thing is that this year is the 10th anniversary of the death from cancer of my significant other, who had a horrible hospitalization August 11 and died on September 11, 2014. When the therapist announced that he was leaving, suddenly I got a powerful message DO THIS NOW!!! So I booked the tickets, I’ll fly to Madrid and start from SJPDP on August 11. I’ve shared here on another thread that I was initially planning to arrive to Santiago on September 11, but since that may or may not be realistic, depending on my progress, I’ll consider stopping at Cruz de Ferro on September 11, then arrive to Santiago on September 22, which is the beginning of fall, thus the beginning of a new season. I booked my return ticket for September 24.

There is more to life than trauma, therapy, or treatment. I’m at the point that I no longer feel any shame about my history, and I feel at peace with my biography. IT’S TIME to move on to a different stage of my life.

I expect to cry a lot, actually, I’ve already been crying just thinking about it, and I’m not even there yet. I’m becoming aware of how much weight I’ve been carrying all these years, and I want to let go of so many things, and open up to whatever life offers me.

I’m from PR, so I grew up in a Latino culture which could be toxic. While I don’t have any specific religious trauma, I’ve been estranged from my own culture and from religion, so I’m hoping to learn better how to grapple with these issues. I feel like a prodigal son, returning home after being away for so long. I’ve been getting back in touch with my language and culture, and it’s already been very emotional.

I dont’ know how long I’ve been aware of the Camino, but it was before the movie. I saw the movie shortly after my SO’s demise, I did like it (except for the brief cremation scene), but doing something like that was unthinkable, as I was still working, and had two cats to take care of. I’m now retired, both cats have since passed away, my therapist is relocating, it’s the 10th anniversary, so…things are aligning in a way I can’t ignore. The Camino is calling…

Thanks for listening…
I hope the Camino brings you everything you wish and more. From reading your story I think the path will certainly be open for you, and I admire your enthusiasm and determination and look forward to hearing how your journey goes :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
First time I ever thought about walking the Camino was in 20177, when I met Edith in hospital. We shared a room, we both had leg fractures. We only shared the room for about three or four days. She'd been back from the CF some months ago. I've heard about it before of course, but was never really interested in it.

But when Edith told me story after story about the Camino that changed. The most fascinating though was the way Edith’s personality changed when talking about the Camino I got to know her as a rather quiet, almost unassuming woman who didn't talk a lot. But, when talking about the Camino, there was a glow on her, her eyes sparkled, her voice was clear und strong, she seemed at least 10 years younger. She had no pain, when telling about her walk. At other times she could not walk or sleep because of pain. Her personality & story deeply impressed and fascinated me.

As I was in hospital for some weeks, I had a lot of time - Edith had long since been discharged - and got myself books about the Camino, researched on the internet. At that time I wanted to start on the Camino right away, as soon my leg was healed. I started to exercise as soon as I got the o.k. by my doc, but then I had an injury on the other leg ... Afterwards work called - being a freelancer, it was hard enough having been "out of order" for so many weeks.

At that time there were lots of ups and downs, lots of thoughts what to change in my life, job etc. My work which I've loved so many years had seemed to grow more tedious as days passed by, the clients got more demanding, me getting more and more impatient. ... Well, to make a long story short, there was some sort of Big Bang in my life, it was unexpected, hard, left me stunned and sort of clueless how to continue. And then I decided this was the right moment to walk the camino.

I booked my flight and set off from Pamplona!

Was walking the Camino once enough? No, it wasn't. I had already planned other Caminos twice. Once Covid got in the way, the other time a longer foot injury. Even now I'm suffering from another foot-injury, but hopefully this will be resolved in 2 or 3 months time.

Aside from the injury, I'd actually already written off the plan to walk a camino this year, because there's not really a suitable time slot for it - except in July and August. And the summer months are actually far too hot for me in Spain. But I've just realised - thanks to this thread here @Kirkie - that I need to walk again. And yes, it' got to be a camino!

I have/had actually already planned a 10-day circular hike here in Germany this summer. A very beautiful route, but for whatever reason, it does not feel the “right” way to walk. I don't know why. But when I think about walking another Caminor, it feels different, right or even necessary to do. So it’s something more than just walking, what I’m looking/searching for.

I somehow figured this out during writing my answer here and it feels so liberating! Now I only have to decide when and which camino it’ll be :D.

But I must have known this already deep down inside before starting to write here.

Because I already had arranged a trial lesson at a new Spanish language school last Friday. Tomorrow is the first regular lesson. Then I can refresh and expand my existing language knowledge. And of course I "have" to practice everything I’m going to learn in Spain ;)

So, I will now start to look for a 2 or 3 week slot this year, to walk at least a short camino.

Last edited:
I lost 130 pounds and was looking for a new challenge. I had seen a Rick Steves show on the Camino and the idea just grew from there. Little did I know the walk itself would change my life as much as losing the weight. When I got to Cruz de Ferro I was overwhelmed with emotion. I made a series of videos of my walk and I am sharing the one that caught the transition I went through at that pile of rocks! YouTube video of my encounter with Cruz de FerroView attachment 164452
Thank you for sharing this, and especially for your honesty and vulnerability. I really enjoyed your video, it has caused me to do some much needed reflection today 🙂

I lost 130 pounds and was looking for a new challenge. I had seen a Rick Steves show on the Camino and the idea just grew from there. Little did I know the walk itself would change my life as much as losing the weight. When I got to Cruz de Ferro I was overwhelmed with emotion. I made a series of videos of my walk and I am sharing the one that caught the transition I went through at that pile of rocks! YouTube video of my encounter with Cruz de FerroView attachment 164452
FANTASTIC transformation. Good for you!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Kirkie, you have scored a hit with this thread. Every response contains some new jewels of insight, pathos, redemption, transformation, serendipity ..... Can't stop coming back to it! Thank you!

Great topic.

A friend of mine in late 1992 or early 1993, I think it was the former, told me she wanted to walk to Santiago ; and my instant response was -- What !! People still do that ??

She asked : want to come with us ?

One of the strangest moments in my life, as if ancient history became suddenly manifest and real right here, right now.

Then about 2-3 days later, I said : Sure !! OK !!

I knew about the pilgrimage from I have no idea where, childhood education most likely, but I was frankly astonished that it continued as an active concern in the late 20th Century.

Both my mental and physical state began to respond positively. Months later, I was walking 6 miles/day and had lost 40 pounds. I felt better than I had in decades. #2: I began to feel God encouraging me to go on pilgrimage
That's very similar to my journey from being bedridden in 2012 and my 2014 Camino from Lourdes.

God Bless you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It was actually a challenge, originally. 2006.
I have a friend from Pamplona who found a month more or less between the sabbatical programme she had been following and beginning a new job. She of course was very familiar with camino. She asked if I would come with her.
Now, here you are talking to mrs lazybones! However, I rose to the bait. We got all the stuff - backpacks etc. i packed and unpacked and repacked and weighed every blessed thing. We did 150km of practice walks. We set off, and I said: I am doing this one step at a time. I can't say I will get there, just one step at a time.
I learned a great lesson: there is no way back.
In the few months prior to walking I had scoured internet looking for someone who might give me courage, as I was 58 at the time and thought I was too old.
I owe a huge debt to @mspath, she is the one I found, and I devoured her blog, as well as having some email exchanges.
We walked intentionally, as a pilgrimage.
While we have walked a few more since the Frances, most of my camino time since 2006 has been in Zabaldika, either as hospitalera or helping with the church side of things.
One memorable moment, among many - a German woman sang a Jewish lament in the church there. Nobody stirred. Such are the pearls.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Greetings all! I'm going to be starting my first Camino Frances from SJPP at the end of May and have been avidly reading here (as a lurker), but this thread really connected with me and I felt it was a good time to dive into the forum.

My mother's family are all from Asturias/Castile y León/Galicia and my first trip to Spain at the age of 12 (1974!) our cousin drove us around the region and we went to Santiago. As I stood looking at the cathedral, there were people climbing the steps on their knees and I asked my cousin why and he told me they were pilgrims doing penance and when they reached the cathedral, their sins were forgiven. Almost 50 years later, I can still see it, so it struck a chord.

Over the past decade (at least), I started becoming aware of the Camino in my consciousness. Nothing major, but every time it appeared (in conversation, in print, on television), I was drawn in a bit more. Then I actively started reading and learning about it, and became more and more convinced it was something I wanted/needed to do. My friends were surprised because it's not really like me. Frankly, I was surprised, too. But it became a calling; a gravitational pull to Spain. I set the goal for my turning 50, which became 55, then "before I'm 60," and now I'm 61 and finally going.

What made me pull the trigger? As many of you have been so brave to share: life begins to pile up. Death and disappointment, the March of Time, more questions than answers, and a strange awakening to the fact that, after a lifetime as a working actor, and over 40 years as a New Yorker, I feel less like a human and more a collection of defense mechanisms, survival tactics, and cleverness. And, I don't have to tell you friends, that ain't enough. There will always be things that need to get done, or on which money could be sensibly spent -- but this is, sensibly or not, the greatest gift I will ever have given myself. My own Camino.

Since I've made the decision, I already feel like I'm on the Camino. All of my preparations and planning have unfolded ridiculously easily. The support from friends and strangers has been surprising and heartening. My perspective is already shifting, my emotions already more available to me and easier to express. If had very vivid dreams that my abuela (who I have no memories of) and all her siblings will be walking with me and guiding me. As an actor, the questions that give me the most anxiety are "would I know you from something?" or "what are you in now?" but the question that gives me pause now is "why are you walking the Camino?" The best I can come up with is "to get to the other side." My hope is that, when I get to the front of the cathedral in Santiago, I'll look down across that plaza and see my 12-year-old self and I can tell him we made it and we're gonna be ok.

Thank you all for the information and guidance and community you provide for future pilgrims. And if you see a grown man crying on the subway, tell him "Buen Camino!"

Last edited:
Wonderful story Steve and the video of Cruz de Ferro in the mist and how it affected you was beautifully moving.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Because of COVID-19.
In the early 2000s a colleague did the Camino - I didn’t know her that well - but I imagine it was the French Camino. Years later, I met a couple in my Bushwalking club who had walked it and I thought it would be a good walk for when I was older - 70s. But it was just a vague thought.

Then COVID-19 happened! Remember the early days where so many people were dying internationally… on considering the last 20 years I felt like I hadn’t had much adventure as I’d been working hard to pay off a mortgage!

And, after a couple of years working from home alone and living alone, I felt very isolated. So I decided to ‘springboard’ myself into social connection by walking the French Camino. And see some of the nearby countries I’d never been to at the same time!

Camino 1 (2012): The decision to get out of the US was desperation to avoid the constant nonsense of a an election year, the result of then being on Camino was Divine Providence. Captured in post below:

Camino 2 (2014): I thought that once was enough (though I enjoyed the experience) but a friend was in need, soooo... explained in the post below:

Camino 3 (2016): A particularly irritating and rough stretch of professional work required that I get away from people. I tried the Invierno in February. It did not work out as my very first day to Las Medulas was a day of non-stop, and very heavy, rain. More details here:

Camino 4 (2017): Was supposed to be a reprise of Camino 2 as my friend could feel darkness closing in and wanted to taste the Camino just once more. It did not work out, as plans are oft to do, but we got in some "extras" like visiting Sto. Domingo de Sillos before having to pack him home owing to medical issues. I finished the Camino for both of us, all the way to the coast, as he had some chores that he wished me to accomplish at Cruz de Ferro, Santiago, and Muxia.

B

Why I wanted to press the button is easy to answer... in the summer of 2010 a distant friend visited me... and at some point, he talked about his Camino... and I saw the Camino Magic in his eyes and heard it in his voice. So I wanted to go and feel this by myself... but this was not that easy... and with my wife, my job and young children... it took 8 years until I really started my first (6-week)-Camino in the summer of 2018.

Once was not enough... I walked again 3 times (and one time during Covid in Germany) - but shorter caminos because I am still working.
Why again? Well, because it's the best time of the year for me...
and so I hope that I can walk again this year.

For my first Camino (1989), I was living in Spain, so booking tickets wasn't a big thing. I was driven by my interest in medieval history and culture, and aware of the Santiago de Compostela and the pilgrimage road to it through a number of sources. It was, as it were, on my list of things to see while in Spain and eventually the circumstances presented the opportunity. There was no specific precipitating event.

When I was done, I knew that I wanted to do it again - I wanted to do it better - but I was in no hurry. And then I found a girl, settled down, got a career and got married and had a family and it went further and further into the background. All of my travel was visiting family and friends here in North America.

And then my cousin became chargé d'affaires at the Canadian embassy in Berlin and my wife and I decided to visit him and do some sightseeing in Berlin. And that reawoke my passion for travel as a way to experience different places and cultures. And my interest in the Camino came back. I remember following the Camino Frances from end to end on Google Earth and looking at all the photos people uploaded. At the time, I didn't think it would happen until I retired. But I had promised my son a trip when he turned 16 in 2016. And he said he wanted to walk the Cam ino with me. So we did. And after that, the urge to walk the Camino was more insistent and less willing to be put off.

My mother passed away in January of 2017. I fell into a deep funk which comtributed to a separation with my long term partner.
During the inevitable fallout, my aunt offered to take me on pilgrimage from Sarria to SdC.
I knew NOTHING about Camino.
After some research and some self reflection I decided that if I were to go on Camino I would not skip the possibility of a full experience from SJPdP to SdC.
I spoke with my aunt and tried to explain why it felt important that I do this. It was important, I didn't understand how important at the time.
I wasn't employed so I had time and a meager inheritance to try to work through my feelings about recent events.
I booked my flight to Madrid for a few days after my son's birthday. (Some things you don't miss...)
I started on May 27,2017 and arrived in Santiago on July 1st.
I flew home a few days later and found that I had changed, but nothing else had.

Rather than trying to adapt, I decided to go back to Camino the same year. I walked again during October and November.

The desire still remains to walk Camino. I will again when time and money allow.

Been Camino all,
Gord

I walk for many reasons. For my first, I was walking out of gratitude mainly.. gratitude of still being alive, after having survived a large subdural hemorrhage that required surgery and I almost "coned", I survived 4 years at that time of pancreatic cancer (and so far am still surviving, now almost 6 years in), and survived submassive pulmonary emboli complications after my first knee replacement.... it was big, being able to walk almost 1000 km after all that. I discovered much on top of that along the Way.. the anger I had not dealt with in family and other traumas I had experienced, return to simplicity, connecting more with the earth, and eventually walking for those who cannot...... I raged and cried for most of that first one, and now I walk because I can, one step at a time, as we can do in life, simply grateful to be breathing and walking.... and my latest focus is "including and transcending" as Ken Wilbur says it, including everything as we need to to be able to transcend the pains in the world.. although I think he says it transcending first then including... whatever....

€46,-
It has somehow always been there in my consciousness - my mother (now 93, Methodist, Celtic origins) had never been, but the book Pilgrims Progress & pilgrimage as a journey to a special destination in all of its senses had been something in her and then my childhood- despite her never leaving New Zealand. Exploring, wandering, searching, nature “ thin places”.

Decades later- now single again with children, I met a wonderful man ( now husband) who was eager to get off the beaten track together & go to places & just walk - South East Asia, Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan. We had never meet anyone who had walked the Camino de Santiago, but it was somehow a vague bubbling thought in my head.

One day we walked the Tongariro Crossing in NZ & by chance met a British couple in their (? 60’s) who were cycling NZ and had stopped to do the crossing. They had boundless energy & shared some tips re sore feet & talked about elevating them every day when they stopped on the Camino. Say, what? The first people I had ever met who had walked The Way! They told us a bit and I was rapt. They then looked at each other deeply and said “ We found love on the Camino.” We got on the shuttle bus to the crossing start & never saw them again. But the fire ignited from this chance meeting of the couple- we often said “remember The Caminos” ( as we referred to them over the years, as we never knew their names)- ignited the intention that we would definitely be walking this one day. And the year we turned 60- it fell into place and we completed the Camino France. Are now hooked and a couple more Caminos to walk in the future.
My Mum- too frail to walk, from her home in NZ, lived vicariously on my daily updates from Spain- lighting a candle and moving us along the map- a very joyful and spiritually meaningful time for her. This gave me peace with some difficulties in our relationship. I carried something precious to leave at the iron cross for her about my dad ( her beloved husband who had died & she misses terribly) which felt healing.
Thank you to this couple cycling NZ , who we had a chance 15 min conversation with is. They found love on the Camino - we never knew if that meant that found each other, or they found each other again!
My Mums last “ thin place” that I haven’t visited is Iona Island, Scotland- I feel I would like to do that journey for her.

Last edited:
As OnHellas says above, during various motorcycle tours of Spain I saw many people walking and did comment several times to my friend about it, such as "What are all these people doing wandering about in the middle of nowhere?" Given our tours were meandering we never got a sense of their direction of travel and had never heard of the Camino anyway. On one tour our last hotel just happened to be close to the Camino and we were having a beer sat in the sun when an Australian lady came up and said "So you are the ones who took our table", I replied I don't think so we just booked it on arrival (dinner table not table for sitting outside for a beer I should add). She explained that they had an early start the next day and she and her friend were hoping for an early dinner so they could have an early night. I think she was hoping to prevail on my good nature and yield our table but I have been told on good authority many times that my good nature is lacking. Anyway I knew our table was big enough to accommodate others so invited them to join us. So we were chatting over dinner and they told us what they were doing, walking the Camino. Then they noticed a woman dining alone in the corner and called over to say hello, she was someone they had met in an albergue (whatever they are!) a couple of nights before, so we invited her to join us too and she turned out to be German which gave me the opportunity to tell the only German joke I know (non-offensive). Then as the evening progressed a guy stood up and gave a toast to anyone walking the Camino. Every single person in the place except my friend and I apparently!
The next day as we made our way to Santander and the ferry I comment to my friend that this Camino thing sounded interesting to which he replied "Not a bloody chance!"
Anyway, much Googling and reading of forums and roll forwards two years and a health scare left me thinking if not now, when? And as they say the rest is history, or sore feet or something

I had known about the Camino for years, but only as a small, kind-of-interesting, detail. But it was there in my mind, collecting dust.

In 2015 I was responsible for caring for my elderly dad-in-law. The daily grind, having to stay inside all day when not driving to doctor appts…… The Camino burst forth in my mind. Outside!!!! Outside!!! I needed to be OUTSIDE with nobody needing anything from me!!!

He died in 2016. I couldn’t find anyone to come with me. Either not interested or not enough vacation time.

One day I found myself declaring to my John that I couldn’t depend on others for my happiness (he just about fainted) so I had decided that, even though I was terrified of going alone, I was going to do the Camino Francés (much relieved, he jumped right in and helped me train and plan).

I left May 2017 and walked from SJPdP to Santiago. OUTSIDE! I found that the towns just made me antsy. I really needed to be outside. It filled me up. And my John was waiting for me in Santiago. 🥰

I thought that was it, but within weeks we were planning another one. John and I did the Inglés the following March 2018 and he was hooked, too. We did the Lebaniego Vadiniense in October 2019. The best time of our lives!

He died suddenly three years ago yesterday. I took his ashes and placed them under a tree near the path on the Lebaniego, overlooking the Picos de Europa.

At present I am doing the Via Francigena alone. I walked Canterbury to Brienne-le-Château last April/May. In July/August my son and I will continue as far as Santhià and the following Spring I’ll make it to Rome, God willing.

So what drew me? A deep need to escape into the sunshine/rain/snow/Life and an equally deep need to not be afraid to do something just because nobody else can or wants to do it, too.
Thank you for sharing. This moved me. I am planning to take my brother's ashes when I do my first Camino next month. I do not know where I will be spreading them yet. I figure I will know where when I get there. I especially love what you stated drew you as I feel the same.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The invitation was the delight treasured friends took in their Caminos coupled with my own love of walking. And the push was a promise I made to a friend to walk with him, had he survived cancer, plus the need for a space for the grief of losing him and others in the pandemic years. Even if only Porto to Santiago, it was a wonderful spacious time and I hope to do more.

Q1. I was worn out after 40+ years of service to others and needed to 'find' something. Me, purpose, God, I didn't really know. I saw the Movie and knew this is what I needed. I 'found' all those things and more.

Q2. I return because I live a busy life with responsibility for many others. The Camino is where I find peace and joy and I can just be me........

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Camino because it looked like a nice long scenic walk. It was that simple.

I loved the idea of changing landscapes; from mountains to forest to vast areas of farmland.

I love history and art, and I love good food and drink. I appreciate Spanish history and culture.

So as a package, it was irresistible!

My wife and I had returned from a wonderful trip in Europe and I saw a movie being advertised on our streaming application. Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez in "The Way". It was not earth shattering or life changing, but we thought what a really neat way to see another part of Europe and we were going to use that as my celebration of retirement from the VA in the USA.

Sadly, my wife passed before she could make this journey, so I decided we would still do it together, just not in the way I had hoped. (She had been fighting breast cancer for 16 years, and finally transitioned in 2023). Then I decided that my first wife should join us as well. (She passed in 2001 from pancreatic cancer). So I will be escorting my two ladies along the way, and see what the Camino offers as I travel the path.

Buen Camino!

€60,-
I had never even heard of it when a friend suggested it. I dismissed the idea initially but several months later I revisited the prospect. I enjoy new experiences, cultures, ideas, etc. Once I booked the international flights, it was a done deal in my mind.

Never say never but once was enough. There are far too many places to visit for the first time. If I want solitude, a place for introspection, seeking something new, enlightenment, etc it does not have to be the Camino de Santiago.

I have wanted to walk the Camino since I was 15 because it sounded fun.
Times have changed. I am looking to sound myself out professionally and personally. I have been forced to retire due to having been fired. I am angry at having been asked to leave given my years of service and the contribution that I have made to the French company.
In terms of personal reasons, I want to realise that dream of when I was 15 years old at the ripe old age of 71.
Should I write a book? If so, about what?

I have wanted to walk the Camino since I was 15 because it sounded fun.
Times have changed. I am looking to sound myself out professionally and personally. I have been forced to retire due to having been fired. I am angry at having been asked to leave given my years of service and the contribution that I have made to the French company.
In terms of personal reasons, I want to realise that dream of when I was 15 years old at the ripe old age of 71.
Should I write a book? If so, about what?
A suggestion: walk a camino and then you might answer your own questions.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back