• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What % quit their Camino ?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
On a recent thread someone remarked that 80% of Pilgrims/Walkers quit before reaching Santiago. ...

he was hoping to be in the 20% who 'make it'.

I tried to find the thread to pose this question there, but couldn't find it. ...sorry :oops:

That 80 % figure sounds a bit strange to me. Very strange....

In my limited experience of only 2 Caminos, one of which was very short, I would suggest the number that quit is probably under 10%?

What is your experience? There is no way of establishing the true number really.

Last year walking from St Jean I probably got to know 50+ pilgrims by name and whom I saw frequently during the journey.

I am not aware that any of them quit. And the 2 Camino 'families' I hung out with kept fairly regular updates going via email and what's app as to where people were who was injured etc. All an essential communication channel of course, when arranging dinner meet ups!

What do you think the real drop out rate might be?

Afternote........ This thread is not intended to be judgemental and the term 'quit' might be seen to imply that. This was not my intention. It was merely curiosity about the number who leave the Camino before reaching their planned destination for whatever reason. Maybe injury for example.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've never dropped out once actually on a camino. I did stop 20km short of St Jean Pied de Port when walking there from my home in Wales though. Fell over and had a prolapsed spinal disc :( The only time I have taken a taxi to my night stop. Immobilised for 4 days. I used some remaining time on an Interrail pass to go back some months later and walk that last part. I wonder what percentage of people return later to complete the journey after dropping out?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
From my experience the drop out rate is more like 1/3 or 30% and is higher in those that have an easy way home aka pilgrims from Europe. Buen Camino, SY

I'm with William on this one - the definition of 'quitting' is the key. For example, on my first Camino I met a couple of locals as I was leaving Burgos. They were out for a day's walk to Hornillos and were getting the bus home that evening. Would they count?

When I was litter-picking on the Camino last December I decided to use up a few spare days walking from Moratinos to Leon before travelling home. A groin strain caused me to quit at Mansilla de las Mulas. I therefore quit a Camino that I was already destined to quit! Should I be counted twice? :)

On the other hand, my second Camino Frances was only supposed to be a week or two from Pamplona to Burgos. My Camino family referred to me as 'The Quitter' all the way to Burgos. However, I missed my flight home, rejoined the Camino all the way to Santiago and became 'The Quitter who Quit Quitting".:cool:

The Camino de Santiago is not for everyone. It's a lot better to stop when you realize you're not "one of those," rather than continue on, moaning and criticizing and just generally ruining everyone else's walk.

Then there's common sense to consider. I started the Camino de Madrid in Valladolid one day in the hottest part of August. Two days later I was almost delirious with heat exhaustion and a migraine headache. I continued on til the next place I could get a bus out. Thank God I didn't keep on, I think they'd have found my carcass somewhere along the Canal de Castilla. I know that even that last day was stupid, I have almost no memory of it now. I pushed myself way too hard, and it took an awful long time to recover. That's not good pilgrim-ing.

Stop when you can't go any more. Don't be a fool.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I hope these numbers count and relate to the many Spanish Pilgrims that walk one week each for five years. I don't think of this as quitting but more like staging. As Spanish Pilgrims make about 50% of the total I can believe 20% from other countries are also staging or leaving for various reasons. I wish everyone well and that their experiences are positive. There is so much to learn and finishing is rewarding but it about the journey not he destination....... Ultreya........ Willy/Utah/USA

My first time in the Camino I met after Estella with a group of mostly middle aged merry Spanish ladies from Calahorra. They were doing the Camino by weekends -two stages at a time, with some teens, even children. They had started in Roncesvalles, so they had made already some progress. So, I suppose that they were "repetitive quitters", but on the other side, they had a very strong resolve.
Not everybody in this world has long month vacations, or available free unlimited time, be for job or personal reasons. Also, for some persons doing the Camino, it is not about reaching Compostela or getting a paper written in Latin. It is a purpose by itself.

Last edited:
I think we should switch the word "quit " with "stop".

That might lead to a more accurate description, that agrees with others' historical observations.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have no idea about the number who quit. But I can reply as someone currently on the Camino who wants to quit. I am half way finished with the Via de la Plata and the only thing keeping me from quitting is the embarrassment of having to tell everyone that I quit, and also cause I want to lose more weight. There are days I have enjoyed, but overall the Camino is not for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm one of those who is walking in stages, so far two lots of 5 days, from SJPdP as far as Navarrete.

At the end of September I'm going back to walk for another 12 days this time before quitting to catch my flight home.

Who knows where I will stop and start after that? For sure I'll be quitting at some point again.

But I will not quit walking the Camino until I reach the ocean,

Maybe after reading this thread,I might throw out my credential that I already got and not worry about any stamps.I don't have anything to prove to anybody.Even still,I don't have anybody to show them too.I plan on going all the way to the Atlantic.I plan on starting in SJPDP July 13 2016 and going to Finisterre, if Idon't make it and quit who cares.I'll get a flight to Thailand.

As approximately 250,000 compostelas were issued last year, an 80% drop out rate would require approximately 1,250,000 to have departed the various camino routes bound for Santiago, even the briefest moment of thought would show that the 80% drop out figure to be a total fiction if you consider the amount of accommodation available at the most popular starting points. My best 'guestimate' would be a figure 0f about 3% failing to complete their intended camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Robo I suspect that the person whose comment you read, who thought they had heard about an 80% drop-out rate had seen (or heard someone else misinterpret) the difference between the numbers that start walking from St Jean Pied de Port (as reported by the Pilgrim's Office there) and the numbers collecting a Compostela who report having started at St Jean. Any connection between the two would be a misinterpretation, due to the many who start there and walk (intentionally) part of the way to Santiago, and the many who do the walk in stages, sometimes over many years. I think that's the most likely source of a (completely spurious) claim of an 80% drop-out rate.

The bigger question is how many people do the entire Camino Frances (for example), and finish. I'd be interested in those numbers.

The statistics reported by the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago include the point of departure, so they show how many people started from St Jean, Roncesvalles, Pamplona etc. Although again, that "start" may not have been in the same year, and would include those who started at those points and walked in stages. I don't think they ask whether you walked it all in one go or in stages (and I don't think it matters, as that's not a factor in awarding the Compostela), although that would be clear from the dates on the credencial when the Pilgrim's Office staff inspect it.

I don't consider someone quitting who stopped in a place, only to return to that place to continue ( one, two or more times).
For me, to quit would mean a total break or stop, not to return ever on that route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On all three Caminos, like anyone else walking it, I met several pilgrims while in SJPdP whom I would see periodically throughout the walk, and eventually see them in Santiago. I don't recall any on any of the three Caminos quitting the walk. I take the word "quit" to mean one cut short their Camino due to various reasons, an unplanned exit from the Camino. I'm sure someone did it, I'm just not aware of it. So I would say that the percentage of quitting walking is low.
Now I did meet many pilgrims who stopped short of Santiago as planned, due to needing to get back home to get back to work, etc.

I'm with William on this one - the definition of 'quitting' is the key. For example, on my first Camino I met a couple of locals as I was leaving Burgos. They were out for a day's walk to Hornillos and were getting the bus home that evening. Would they count?

Perhaps for the purposes of this discussion, we could define quitting as........

Leaving the Camino before reaching their planned destination?

So those walking a week each year for eaxmple are certainly not quitting.

I would see 'quitting' as meaning leaving early due to injury; being demoralised and heading home; the Camino not meeting expectations etc...

@Robo: I recognised one couple from the US in one of your videos because they had chatted with me for quite a bit. I later came across their contribution to one of the newsletters of a pilgrims association and learnt that they dropped out after some 150 km. They had planned to go all the way from SJPP to Santiago.

Ah, I think I might know who you mean. I only met them once and chatte for 10 minutes or so....and didn't hear of them again.
If it is the couple I'm thinking of, it might be understandable due to health.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why start a thread about "quitters", whatever that might mean?

Perhaps quitters is the wrong term :(

It was purely out of curiosity and in no way intended as any kind of 'judgement'! :oops:

I was surprised at how determined most people are. And even those of 'advanced years' and suspect health would keep plodding along. Quite inspirational.........

I formed the view that very few actually 'dropped out'........... So I was surprised at the 80% figure that was quoted.

Last edited:
I don't consider someone quitting who stopped in a place, only to return to that place to continue ( one, two or more times).
For me, to quit would mean a total break or stop, not to return ever on that route.

I would agree...........

The bigger question is how many people do the entire Camino Frances (for example), and finish. I'd be interested in those numbers.

If my memory services me well, approximately 10% of the people walking the Camino frances route and who received their Compostela started in SJPdP.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It has been stated before by others, more experienced than I that for every person that receives their Compostela, approximately 3-4 additional people are walking the Camino frances route. This second larger group of people are either those that are walking some section of the way, with plans to return some year later to walk more, or those that are not interested in getting their Compostela or finally those that did not finish in Santiago for other reasons.

Last edited:
Look at the positive side, not how many quit (not a real camino word, it should read stop/pause) think that you will start your camino from point A and will stop at any point along the way if your body or mind feel like it and that will be your camino not someone elses.

On a recent thread someone remarked that 80% of Pilgrims/Walkers quit before reaching Santiago. ...

That 80 % figure sounds a bit strange to me. Very strange.... In my limited experience of only 2 Caminos, one of which was very short, I would suggest the number that quit is probably under 10%? What is your experience? There is no way of establishing the true number really.
Afternote........ This thread is not intended to be judgemental and the term 'quit' might be seen to imply that. This was not my intention. It was merely curiosity about the number who leave the Camino before reaching their planned destination for whatever reason. Maybe injury for example.
Robo I think you need to clarify your term "quit". Do you mean those who terminated for other than physical impairment? Or do you mean those that became dissolutioned with the idea of completing the 800 km walk. I started my first camino (on the VDLP) in May 2013, starting from Merida - I completed 125/130 km but had to withdraw on medical grounds. I do not consider myself a "quitter" in fact I came back last Sept a cycled from Pamplona to Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Robo I think you need to clarify your term "quit". Do you mean those who terminated for other than physical impairment? Or do you mean those that became dissolutioned with the idea of completing the 800 km walk. I started my first camino (on the VDLP) in May 2013, starting from Merida - I completed 125/130 km but had to withdraw on medical grounds. I do not consider myself a "quitter" in fact I came back last Sept a cycled from Pamplona to Santiago.

I did clarify the term above Mike. I agree that quit is not the right term, but was one used in another thread. I shold probbaly not have used it.

I would see 'quitting' as meaning leaving early due to injury; being demoralised and heading home; the Camino not meeting expectations etc... Not continuing to their planned destination, which might just have been shorter annual stages.

I did clarify the term above Mike. I agree that quit is not the right term, but was one used in another thread. I shold probbaly not have used it.

I would see 'quitting' as meaning leaving early due to injury; being demoralised and heading home; the Camino not meeting expectations etc... Not continuing to their planned destination, which might just have been shorter annual stages.
Thanks Robo - sorry I did not see the clarification. However (if I may) when one suffers an injury that prevents one from walking even 1 km and treatment is a two or three month rehab process then that is (imho) not quitting - your body told you you were unable to proceed. Cheers

Thanks Robo - sorry I did not see the clarification. However (if I may) when one suffers an injury that prevents one from walking even 1 km and treatment is a two or three month rehab process then that is (imho) not quitting - your body told you you were unable to proceed. Cheers

I quite agree! A better term might be 'Completion Postponement' :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Totally 'unscientific' comment but something I remember from my first Camino:
I walked with a Spanish pilgrim who left the Camino I think a couple of days as he had a hospital appointment and stopped by at his house - he lived near by.... We met again when he returned. He said he was astounded at the number of injured pilgrims he saw on the bus whilst going home and what's more, at the number of seriously injured pilgrims in the hospital! His comments were something like 'You would never know it, would you?!'

The 80% drop-out estimate may be exact....when referring to customers of Camino tour companies. They quit and run into the waiting vans when they arrive at the “boring” or “uninteresting parts” of every stage, or when there is a hint of bad weather. Some of them, on the other side, go all of the way, no matter what.

Last edited:
I walked France's in 2014. I had some moments of pain but never contemplated stopping. On 2015 I started Portuguese in Tomar. At albargaria I broke my kneecap. It was casted and I think I would have been foolish to continue. I have my ticket to Lisbon in September to complete it. I hope to do a Camino every year for a few years

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had to quit in 2013 due to plantar fascitiis - it was either quit and be able to come back when I was better or carry on and possibly be screwed for life. After much discussion my daughter, who was walking with me, "quit" as well.

This fall I am returning with my husband but we are only walking to Burgos which is how far my daughter got. Next year all three of us are going to start in Burgos and finish in Santiago, which was our original plan.

If I hadn't been injured I never would have realized how many people just keep busing ahead to the next town towards Santiago. Some are doing so to keep up with companions and others are by themselves but still trying to move forward. My daughter and I did the opposite and went in the opposite direction because we didn't want to see anymore of the camino unless it was on foot. We spent a week in Barcelona and Madrid before catching an early flight home.

Some people only get or want one chance on the camino so will keep going no matter what.

@ratyoke Hey there. Sounds like you are having a tough time. Sorry to hear that. You got up and got yourself out there - that is already a great achievement. Perhaps ease off the pace? Have a rest day? I don't know your circumstances - but you have my respect and admiration. I hope you do what is the right thing for you. Buen Camino.

Camino/Chemin/Jakobsweg/Via Interuptus is a fact of life for many pilgrims (at the moment including me) due to time restraints and family commitments etc.
Having done it both ways (long one offs and segmented pilgrimages) I've found there are pros and cons to both approaches but keeping going (and going) at a long distance Camino/Chemin/Jakobsweg/Via Interruptus is unexpectedly a little harder in organisational terms for me-as my segmental pilgrimages blocks seem to have less 'heft' when I'm scheduling than my longer 'one off' pilgrimage journeys. Perhaps it's because if a family or social event comes up it's a little too easy to move or postpone a planned 7,10 or 14 day segment as compared to a 4 or 5 week 'chunk' of time allocated to a longer one off pilgrimage.

So now I'm trying to build in a little defence system by buying my flights & trains early and broadcasting those dates to friends and family thus theoretically copper fastening my resolve and deflecting other peoples agendas from infringing on my 'pilgrim schedule'.

However I've still been heard to say (in a loving caring way) "FX&% off I'm going on pilgrimage then!" which shows, on many levels, just why I need to keep going on pilgrimage in the first place:oops:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A possible way to estimate the numbers on the camino would be to install electronic readers used to obtain animal counts ... one set on each 'stage' and located at a choke point where everyone on that stage would pass through. It still wouldn't be accurate but would give a better picture than based on the numbers getting a compostela.

Last edited by a moderator:
That 80 % figure sounds a bit strange to me. Very strange....

Yeah, it's wrong.

About 1 in 5 do "the full Camino" :rolleyes: true, but a very large portion of that 80% is people doing it in stages. And there are increasingly large numbers who only ever intend to do a section of the Camino as a pure walking holiday with zero intention of completing.

And given that a significant % of pilgrims who do in Santiago are never registered by the Pilgrim Office, the real % of people who intend to go to Santiago and do actually give up as such is very hard to gauge.

There are too many unknowns in all this for my taste, but one can probably say with some confidence that roughly every second pilgrim who left SJPdP this year did not walk all the way to Santiago in one go, or I am a mistaken?

Yes that's pretty much it, and it's pretty much the same every year -- the stretch between SJPP and Pamplona is probably the one with the highest "quit rate" though ... :p

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back