• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

wheeled travois for the vdlp

malingerer

samarkand
Time of past OR future Camino
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
any suggestions/recommendations as to feasibility for aged peregrine in order to carry gear and water without breaking back? :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Carry less.

A wheeled travois would have limited success, particularly in areas where there is erosion that has left large rocks.

Carry less.

A wheeled travois would have limited success, particularly in areas where there is erosion that has left large rocks.
Listen up buddy!
After 14 years of camino I am neither amateur or newbie! I wont regale u either with my years in the forces or mountain rescue! Carry less? If only! I damn near left my dentures on a fence post the first time I went over the pass to Roncevalles! :) The paradox is that with arthritis etc I had to UP the weight as the only sack that really fits me now is the Deuter 50+10. My spine is twisting and the hips n knees are shot to hell! MY comfort zone is 15k a day and last august finishing off the cf again there were days I was down to 10! I am not comfortable cycling either as with Meniere's disease I have a tendency to fall off! I am clutching at straws probably , thinking of travois etc, but I would like some genuine lateral thinking that does not deny me the wish to finish the veedlepee or am I being told that it is only for the fit, the fast and the furious, with legs of oak and lungs of brass? I am a pilgrim! Even snails with suitcases smile on the way past! OK? Mind u , I am waiting for some smartie to tell me where there is a nice little donkey for hire!

Yours aye,
The Malingerer

Vaya con Dios.

:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
any suggestions/recommendations as to feasibility for aged peregrine in order to carry gear and water without breaking back? :)
A quick google search provided a few options available for purchase such as http://dixonrollerpack.com/

If you are like my husband, you would have no trouble in wheeling your golf buggy down to the liquor shop to strap on a carton of beer , use his lawnmower as a temporary walking frame after dual knee replacements, or use a metal wheelbarrow as a portable BBQ. He would cobble together a wheel or two and a frame and some shoulder straps in no time...depending on where you live it would seem the transporting it to the Camino might be the problem!

I can't think of a simple solution. As you know, unlike the Camino Frances, taxis, bag forwarding companies, albergues, water sources and other basic infrastructure needs are in short supply on the VdlP. Maybe it is time for radical thinking if you really want to do it. And maybe whariwharangi has a point. If I were walking in your shoes I'd consider a radical approach to my pack weight. Everything goes except: the clothes on my back; one change of underwear, shirt, socks, and pants; phone and charger; minimal toiletries; poncho; and light weight sleeping bag. That's it. The weight of that pack would be about the same weight you would support if you walked with a full pack on a travois. And you would be one of those legends on the VdlP who walk with the functional equivalent of a day pack.

Of course there's more to it than I suggest, but I do believe some radical approach is required. Good luck.

I walked the VdlP last year and do not think pulling a wheeled contraption would be impossible. A couple of days on the Sanabres route some cyclists passed us and we watched them push their bikes up a distant hill, but they did it! I believe if you were determined you would be fine too.
When I researched such contraptions last year for my father-in-law who HAD broken his back (and now sports several bars and rods and pins almost the whole length of his back), it seemed the dixonroller was the cheapest. The proprietor of the business was also very helpful in answering questions I had. Another advantage of that one is that it could be used with poles - some similar more expensive doodads require you to hold handles. (For the record, we did not buy anything in the end, but took four kids, and together we shared Grandpa's gear)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you are like my husband, you would have no trouble in wheeling your golf buggy down to the liquor shop to strap on a carton of beer , use his lawnmower as a temporary walking frame after dual knee replacements, or use a metal wheelbarrow as a portable BBQ. He would cobble together a wheel or two and a frame and some shoulder straps in no time...depending on where you live it would seem the transporting it to the Camino might be the problem!
Sounds just like my husband! Old skateboards are used for amazing things. Our garage is the store house for future inventions.

I can't think of a simple solution. As you know, unlike the Camino Frances, taxis, bag forwarding companies, albergues, water sources and other basic infrastructure needs are in short supply on the VdlP. Maybe it is time for radical thinking if you really want to do it. And maybe whariwharangi has a point. If I were walking in your shoes I'd consider a radical approach to my pack weight. Everything goes except: the clothes on my back; one change of underwear, shirt, socks, and pants; phone and charger; minimal toiletries; poncho; and light weight sleeping bag. That's it. The weight of that pack would be about the same weight you would support if you walked with a full pack on a travois. And you would be one of those legends on the VdlP who walk with the functional equivalent of a day pack.

Of course there's more to it than I suggest, but I do believe some radical approach is required. Good luck.

I appreciate yours and all other points but once u add on the meds, knee supports etc, as u know, the weight creeps up! I often think weight and volume discussions cloud the issue as if a ruck don't fit , all else is secondary :) I had a beautiful OMM 50 which weighed next to nothing but the back length was not adjustable and sods law being what it is, it hurt the bottom of my spine! I nearly agree with the pack list but go for one lot on my back and two in the sack. Cleanliness and hygiene are important which is why I avoid albergues where I cant get a room of my own. With a degenerative lung condition I cough and spit, which is a bit anti social!:) I also get warned twice a week and three times on Sundays it is fatal for me to be anything other than warm and dry. Naturally, I sweat buckets! I am going to take another look at the smaller OMM which does have a suitable back length but means strapping a lot of gear to the outside. I do not like this as it becomes a magnet for the light-fingered and is at the mercy of the dreaded baggage handler. I have had pacer poles disappear in the overnight bag drop! I don't give up too easily which is why I ask for lateral thinking! I have already bought Meindl shoes as opposed to boots which is damn near heresy for me :) Again, many thanks for your posts!:)
The malingerer.
I walked the VdlP last year and do not think pulling a wheeled contraption would be impossible. A couple of days on the Sanabres route some cyclists passed us and we watched them push their bikes up a distant hill, but they did it! I believe if you were determined you would be fine too.
When I researched such contraptions last year for my father-in-law who HAD broken his back (and now sports several bars and rods and pins almost the whole length of his back), it seemed the dixonroller was the cheapest. The proprietor of the business was also very helpful in answering questions I had. Another advantage of that one is that it could be used with poles - some similar more expensive doodads require you to hold handles. (For the record, we did not buy anything in the end, but took four kids, and together we shared Grandpa's gear)
Like to lend me four kids or would feeding the little devils cost me more than the donkey? :)

The malingerer

Dear @malingerer I know you are an "old" member, so would have read my posts, and if so and you have discounted the idea - ignore this. Any chance you can find and try an Aarn pack? Expensive, but probably cheaper than 4 Kiwi kids or a donkey. And you don't have to feed it or talk to it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear @malingerer I know you are an "old" member, so would have read my posts, and if so and you have discounted the idea - ignore this. Any chance you can find and try an Aarn pack? Expensive, but probably cheaper than 4 Kiwi kids or a donkey. And you don't have to feed it or talk to it.
Hi and yes I've heard of Aarn! Didn't realise they were New Zealand or I would have sussed them out years ago! I have been a fan of things Kiwi for years and cheerfully curse all Philistines who use Australian merino as opposed to the genuine stuff! Please dear Ozzies I mean no disrespect n will pray for ur enlightenment nxt time I get to Santaigo!
I did manage to ring a UK dealer who is having a clear out sale as their importer is shutting down. Damn. I spoke to the wife of the team but she says hubby knows all the techie details and he happens to be heading for the hills! Musta bin reading my posts!:) I wont b able to try one alas as the shop is in Cumbria and I am down here in Zummerzet! I am intrigued by the way there is a front pack to balance the body pack and have to smile as being ex forces that is an old idea anyway. Couldn't find from her either what would be the equivalent of my Deuter Futura Vario (50+10) which happens to fit me like a glove and that alone compensates for the extra weight.

Many thanks for the input and it certainly has me thinking!

Yours aye,

The Malingerer

Friends? Family? Do-gooders? Divvy up your load like the kids did for Grandpa. Agree to end each day in a certain location and drop your stuff off at your private quarters, picking it up the next morning. Would be a good lesson in humility and receiving for you, and an opportunity for others to be useful and giving. Maybe outside of the box, but not new. "I'll Push You" comes to mind.

From the "Kicking Myself" department:

About two months ago I saw a video article about a man who has walked all over North America, carrying his gear on a two-wheeled cart that hooked to the left and right sides of a belt that he wore around his waist. I have been looking for that video article for about 5 weeks now, without success.

The cart used bicycle-like wheels, approximately 12-15 inches in diameter. The frame was aluminum tubing similar to what Kelty uses for external pack-frames. The video showed him using it on less-than-smooth terrain as well as on established paths. He didn't seem to have much of a problem.

I have also looked for the cart without success. I found a few that are similar, but too heavy. I'll keep looking and, if I find the article, will post a link to it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi and yes I've heard of Aarn! Didn't realise they were New Zealand or I would have sussed them out years ago! I have been a fan of things Kiwi for years and cheerfully curse all Philistines who use Australian merino as opposed to the genuine stuff! Please dear Ozzies I mean no disrespect n will pray for ur enlightenment nxt time I get to Santaigo!
I did manage to ring a UK dealer who is having a clear out sale as their importer is shutting down. Damn. I spoke to the wife of the team but she says hubby knows all the techie details and he happens to be heading for the hills! Musta bin reading my posts!:) I wont b able to try one alas as the shop is in Cumbria and I am down here in Zummerzet! I am intrigued by the way there is a front pack to balance the body pack and have to smile as being ex forces that is an old idea anyway. Couldn't find from her either what would be the equivalent of my Deuter Futura Vario (50+10) which happens to fit me like a glove and that alone compensates for the extra weight.

Many thanks for the input and it certainly has me thinking!

Yours aye,

The Malingerer
Hi Malinger,
If you call out Aussies you must expect ' a very large knife' (Crocodile Dundee reference) in return, and one that is based on 'facts'.
Merino sheep were brought to the Southern hemisphere by the father of the Australian wool industry John Macarthur in the early 19th century. He was able to acquire some from the Royal Spanish flock and 'genuine' Merino sheep. Australian Merino wool has been bred from those original bloodlines here ever since. Overtime they filtered to New Zealand where they are farmed for a niche market in the Southern Alps of the South Island. In both countries the merino has been cross bred with other types as the true Merino is only a luxury item with some flaws for general manufacture, hence its expense. The Kiwis are lucky that the Aussies pioneered wool breeding for them and admittedly they both do, and market it well, much like they turned a Chinese gooseberry into a 'Kiwi' fruit!
Having admonished you I would now like to say that depending upon when you are walking, were it mine to lend, I could lend you an Aarn pack with front pockets as I am going to be in UK for a month after my Camino walk in April May 2017, and my daughter who is resident in London at the moment is coming out to Australia for Christmas for a return. I will confer with the owner, if you think this ultra light pack might solve your problem.
My other suggestion is a heavy duty 'grannie trolley' like I wheel to the shops ( being a Grannie and all).

http://m.abilityshttps://www.google...wo-wheels/-/heavy-duty-shopping-trolley/18431
or
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...AUICCgB&biw=1536&bih=714#imgrc=RbuDcm1t7VpH_M:
or push
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...AUICCgB&biw=1536&bih=714#imgrc=ntKBLLv-1p5znM:

perhaps needing to replace some wheels with golf buggy wheels where necessary. Lateral thinking anyone?

Hi Malinger,
If you call out Aussies you must expect ' a very large knife' (Crocodile Dundee reference) in return, and one that is based on 'facts'.
Merino sheep were brought to the Southern hemisphere by the father of the Australian wool industry John Macarthur in the early 19th century. He was able to acquire some from the Royal Spanish flock and 'genuine' Merino sheep. Australian Merino wool has been bred from those original bloodlines here ever since. Overtime they filtered to New Zealand where they are farmed for a niche market in the Southern Alps of the South Island. In both countries the merino has been cross bred with other types as the true Merino is only a luxury item with some flaws for general manufacture, hence its expense. The Kiwis are lucky that the Aussies pioneered wool breeding for them and admittedly they both do, and market it well, much like they turned a Chinese gooseberry into a 'Kiwi' fruit!
Having admonished you I would now like to say that depending upon when you are walking, were it mine to lend, I could lend you an Aarn pack with front pockets as I am going to be in UK for a month after my Camino walk in April May 2017, and my daughter who is resident in London at the moment is coming out to Australia for Christmas for a return. I will confer with the owner, if you think this ultra light pack might solve your problem.
My other suggestion is a heavy duty 'grannie trolley' like I wheel to the shops ( being a Grannie and all).

http://m.abilityshttps://www.google...wo-wheels/-/heavy-duty-shopping-trolley/18431
or
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...AUICCgB&biw=1536&bih=714#imgrc=RbuDcm1t7VpH_M:
or push
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...AUICCgB&biw=1536&bih=714#imgrc=ntKBLLv-1p5znM:

perhaps needing to replace some wheels with golf buggy wheels where necessary. Lateral thinking anyone?

Verily I am gob-smacked and a thousand apologies at being "knifed"! :) I was under the impression that the merino in question were descendants of an "English" flock but then there were Merino in Ireland too some time back! I believe there is still a flock in Devon/Cornwall but the base layers are hideously expensive. There are base layers being produced in Cumbria which are from Herdwick sheep which I was given to believe are coarse but not according to some folk!
This is turning into a goodly thread tucked away under equipment! I checked the Aarn on line but they are "on sale" so not as expensive as they would be normally. Comparing like for like they don't seem any lighter than my Deuter? Tried the 40+10 this morning and no like!
Went back to my 50+10 and it fitted like a glove again! Am heading for Madrid on 8 May so it looks as if with time running out I may as well stick with it and shave weight elsewhere. Thanks for the offer tho and will buy you a conciliatory glass or two if we ever meet :)

Buen camino and Vaya con Dios

A penitent Malingerer? :)

Just brainstorming here. Using a wheeled travois would be fine for roads but when things get rough perhaps small wheels are a hindrance. I'm wondering if what might be better is an A-frame where the two ends are bent a bit so when dragged they are dragged at the bends. Then when the way gets smoother you attach a wheeled axle down there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Verily I am gob-smacked and a thousand apologies at being "knifed"! :) I was under the impression that the merino in question were descendants of an "English" flock but then there were Merino in Ireland too some time back! I believe there is still a flock in Devon/Cornwall but the base layers are hideously expensive. There are base layers being produced in Cumbria which are from Herdwick sheep which I was given to believe are coarse but not according to some folk!
This is turning into a goodly thread tucked away under equipment! I checked the Aarn on line but they are "on sale" so not as expensive as they would be normally. Comparing like for like they don't seem any lighter than my Deuter? Tried the 40+10 this morning and no like!
Went back to my 50+10 and it fitted like a glove again! Am heading for Madrid on 8 May so it looks as if with time running out I may as well stick with it and shave weight elsewhere. Thanks for the offer tho and will buy you a conciliatory glass or two if we ever meet :)

Buen camino and Vaya con Dios

A penitent Malingerer? :)
It just occurred to me how wonderful it is that pilgrims from all over the world are returning to Spain wearing 'Merino wool' to warm and cool them, as this is where the breed began!

Buen camino and Vaya con Dios...back atcha!

Most read last week in this forum

The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.