• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When to get Compostela if you are continuing to Finisterre

ChadEstes

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese '22, Frances '23, PCostal/Primitivo '24
Hi fellow pilgrims! I am curious what others have done when they have walked past Santiago to Finisterre. Did you get your credential once you first arrived in Santiago or did you come back to the Pilgrim's office after coming back to the city after completing your trip to Finisterre?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Grab your Compostela in Santiago, guess you will stay a night anyway, and the other one you will get in Finisterre. That is what I did in 2017, in Muxia I got a document too.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I spent 3 days in Santiago upon completion of Camino Frances so I got my Compostella while there
I continued to Finisterre, got my Finisterriana and then returned back to Santiago but straight to the train station to go to Madrid (I guess I'm trying to say that I did not allotted any time to deviate from the 'schedule' to go to the Pilgrims' Office at that time)
If you are not time-constrained then I guess you can do that either way - whatever is more comfortable & convenient for you

I did it before heading to Finisterre/Muxia. But going forward it would depend on what the lines are looking like and how much time I plan to stay in Santiago before going to Finisterre... if taking a rest day first, you have plenty of time to get it before. If you are moving along right away - you can decide once you see if there are lines. Lines were great (short) last time I went and it was an extremely busy day.

I did like getting my final stamp on the day I arrived in Santiago... before heading on. I think I used the Pilgrim's office to get my final stamp... and then the albergue to get the first stamp in my new credential that I picked up at the pilgrim's office in Santiago for my journey to Muxia/Finisterre.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Remember to get your other Compostela de Finisterra or Compostela de Muxia.

Sorry to be pedantic, but there is only one Compostela, which is the certificate awarded at the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago de Compostela.

The certificate that is issued in Fisterra is a Fisterrana, and in Muxía you can collect a Muxiana. If you complete the Camino del Salvador in Oviedo you can receive a Salvadorana. On the Portuguese Camino you can get a Pedronia in Padrón to round out your collection to add to whatever drawer you put your certificates.

Sorry to be pedantic, but there is only one Compostela, which is the certificate awarded at the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago de Compostela.

The certificate that is issued in Fisterra is a Fisterrana, and in Muxía you can collect a Muxiana. If you complete the Camino del Salvador in Oviedo you can receive a Salvadorana. On the Portuguese Camino you can get a Pedronia in Padrón to round out your collection to add to whatever drawer you put your certificates.

Point taken. :)

The one in Padron is kind of different because first you have to go to the church, get a stamp, and then go to the library/visitor center. It was a wonderful surprise when the nice lady who ran the place where I stayed in Padron told me about it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here is an example of the Salvadorana from La Catedral de Oviedo and the Pedronia after visiting the Church and the heading up the street over the river and slightly uphill to the Albergue in Padron. Just this week, I placed these in little recycled frames and just now noticed I didn’t write in my name on the Pedronia 😂.
The 3rd picture is from La Iglesia de San Francisco in Santiago where the Pilgrim Masses were held when the Cathedral was being repaired. I have no Muxiana or Finisterriana, yet.

Attachments

• FD9ABECF-EC84-4573-9D6A-26C03588B150.jpeg
    FD9ABECF-EC84-4573-9D6A-26C03588B150.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 6BDC067B-BD4A-4CB6-B41D-9C472F0323E2.jpeg
    6BDC067B-BD4A-4CB6-B41D-9C472F0323E2.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • B2DE169D-3EB7-46C3-B9AE-C1C8E09DAD30.jpeg
    B2DE169D-3EB7-46C3-B9AE-C1C8E09DAD30.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
And don't forget the halfway certificate at Sahagun, or possibly at the end of the Madrid Camino section. Available (assuming it still is) from the Santuario de la Virgen Peregrina (up on the hill).

This year when i walk I will be heading out to the coast first before I cash in the Credencial. Then will probably start a second one for my quick journey up from Ourense, but haven't really decided what i will do besides walking that section again and possibly, maybe doing the Ingles (for no good reason besides doing it).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I got my Compostela the day I arrived to Santiago. I stayed the night at Hospedaría San Martiño Pinario before continuing on to Muxia and Finisterre the next day. If you ask at registration, they will store items for you for free while you walk on to Muxia/Finisterre. You can then retrieve them via a tag you are given, upon returning to Santiago. I left a small bag with my Compostela and other sundry items I didn't need/want to take with me. I retrieved them once I returned. Easy Peasy, and I didn't worry about smashing or getting my Compostela wet in the forecasted rain the following days. Other hotels might also do the same. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thank you for the heads-up, this means that I have a Compostela and a Fisterrana.

To get your Certificate you can apply for a special credential,issued by de Tourist Board of Galicia.
the Tourist info is in the same building as the Pilgrims Office in Santiago
At the entrance of the building turn left and than right and you are there

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.