A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Where did you walk ( locally ) in 2019

Camino Badges

cbacino

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte - Primitivo (2018)
Via Francigena (2017)
Appalachian Trail (2016)
Looking forward again to everyone's pictures and stories about their local walks.

Keep up the good work! :)
Our weekly walk from Empoli, on the Arno River in Tuscany, up the hills to Monterappoli. Stop for lunch fixings at the local grocer, have a picnic, and stop for a coffee on the way back. C3F4DE76-A904-46DA-933A-5360018250D6.jpeg

Roland49

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2019 June/July/August
Today I walked in the Solling Hills, a mountain range of the Weser-river-mountains. 8km, 220m elevation, 1:47h.

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

As I strolled back to my parking-lot through the village I found a nice little street:
IMG_0481.jpg
Hope you enjoy my photos.

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
C571A4FC-4C5E-4CD0-A5A1-E6D24061BFAD.jpeg
Crunches through autumn leaves on footpaths into the city to an orchestra performance. Light breeze, warmth still in the sun, glorious colours, divine music, a little sketching, a little knitting., a delicious ham sandwich....the simple pleasures of life.

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
On April 25th I walked part of the "Lieserpfad" between Daun and Manderscheid with my italian pilgrim friends Marzio and Adele. We could have continued the very next day, but we decided to visit Trier (tomb of St. Matthew, also on the Camino) by car and also made a stop at Klausen, on the Mosel-Camino. There was a sign, stating that it is 2.350 km to Santiago. This means it is 2.400 km from my home. So I know what to do when I am retired or on a sabbatical!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
A lovely 3 hour walk this morning to one of our local parks....Weald country park.
Once used for hunting around 1063 by the Abbots of Walrham
Even some Iron Age remains from 1st century BC
We wanted to see the bluebells which cover a large part of the forest there...almost looked surreal at times...like a mist in the distance
An amazing show of wild flowers...and the beautiful smelling walkway with wild honeysuckle
A few large lakes and small ponds.....bluebell pond and tea cup pond!
Halfway round about a hundred young deer crossed our path...an amazing spectacle running and jumping
On the way back, we got lost as usual and went in circles a few times.A nice kind of lost though!!
We feel so lucky and blessed to have somewhere like this so close to us image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
I don't believe my step counter. It says 12,638. Not that I want to have an argument with my phone... In short, yesterday I flew from Dublin to Glasgow, and this morning travelled by train to Edinburgh for a college reunion. 300 women, primary school teachers, all chattering and delighted to meet up together.
It was such a beautiful memory lane trip, 50 years since I used that route every week. The visual memory is etched in my mind. So often I sat on the steps in the hostel where we all stayed in what had been a Hydropathic Spa Hotel...and looked out at views like these. I took these in the airport while waiting for my flight back home. The second last one was taken overlooking Edinburgh towards the Forth and the sea, from the lecture hall in the futuristic new entrance to the Craiglockhart campus of Napier College. Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon were there when it was a War Hospital in the early part of C20th. The final photo is of the facade of the building, unchanged really from the front view.
IMG_3752 2.JPGfullsizeoutput_7e5.jpegfullsizeoutput_7e6.jpegfullsizeoutput_7e0.jpegfullsizeoutput_7de.jpegfullsizeoutput_7e8.jpegScreenshot 2019-05-11 at 23.37.21.png

Leibniz

Peregrina
Camino(s) past & future
Frances from Astorga (2018)
Frances/Invierno from SJPP (2019)
I’m visiting my parents in Belgium and we had a lovely 10km walk in the local countryside. I also tried my mum’s walking poles and I’m converted!5711257113

Last edited:

Roland49

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2019 June/July/August
Been in the Deister again, over the City of Barsinghausen, 8.8km in almost 2hrs.

IMG_0500.jpg
IMG_0501.jpg
A Pond in the woods for Trouts
IMG_0505.jpg
Is this a sign?
IMG_0515.jpg
Half-Moon over the Deister
IMG_0522.jpg
IMG_0527.jpg
Both carved figurines on the way middle in the woods

IMG_0529.jpg
A TV and Cellular-Booster-Tower on Top of the Deister

IMG_0535.jpg
A blooming stone-cherry-Tree
IMG_0543.jpg
In the Center you can see the Volkswagen Commercial-Transport-Facility and the Powerplant
IMG_0534.jpg
Another view of the Tower

Enjoy!

Buen Camino!
Roland

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
The other day a delightful walk in the dunes west of Leiden with @LTfit. Big sky, lots of space, and the delicious scent of spring!
20190509_165951.jpg

20190509_170154.jpg
😊
20190509_171010.jpg

Then today a 7.5K loop in the evening from town.
Check out the happy pup in the prow of that boat! I wondered if the boat was named after him. 😊
20190512_184054.jpg

Jodean

Camino(s) past & future
22 Sept. to 21 Oct. 2015, Pamplona to Santiago
6-23.04 Porto to Santiago 2018
17.09-30.09 CF 2018
On 1 May, walked with the Jacobus group about 17km from 1 Camino spot in Frankfurt (St. Leonhards, 1219) to a 2nd Camino stop in Frankfurt Höchst (St. Justinus, 850).
This is part of the Jakobsweg as the Camino is called in Germany. Both churches are very old and have always been stops for pilgrims.
Half of the group were deaf and communicated almost exclusively in sign language. Very interesting walk.

Photos are of the Jakobs Portal inside St. Leonhards, carved in 1219, and the exterior of the church. They found an altar on the original floor level while doing restoration and archeology work that also dates back to the 1200's, with many scallop shells behind it. st.leo best.JPG
57161jakobs way portal.JPG57162

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (Spring '17)
Primitivo (Spring '18)
Madrid (April '19)
After finishing the Camino de Madrid in mid-April, I’ve been in Australia for the past few weeks. Last week I spent a few days in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney, bushwalking to my heart’s content. I did 28km one day around Wentworth Falls and Blackheath - not a bad camino stage!

The weather was fantastic, making photography a joy. A few favourites from the trails:

View from Fletcher’s Lookout, near Wentworth Falls

A tiny but picturesque cascade on the Charles Darwin Trail near Wentworth Falls

The sun’s early morning rays pierce the Grose Valley and leave Pulpit Rock and other mountains in a misty silhouette, as seen from the Govett’s Leap Descent trail

Darkness covers the Jamison Valley as the last light of the day hits the Three Sisters and turns them gold

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
;)
20190514_125548.jpg

There IS a bus, but @SYates and I got impatient.
We had a sentimental memory of our walk out of A Coruña last year at the nearby roundabout over the freeway :eek:, but all was well in the end.
And caught the bus back. Quite the shopping experience.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
;)
View attachment 57284

There IS a bus, but @SYates and I got impatient.
We had a sentimental memory of our walk out of A Coruña last year at the nearby roundabout over the freeway :eek:, but all was well in the end.
And caught the bus back. Quite the shopping experience.
Shopping!!
So you bought the car then??!!
Or the store?!

alansykes

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Except the Francés
I tried out this new (to me) tracking device "Relive" on a nice 11km stroll from and to my front door, past loads of glorious flowering hawthorn, bluebells and some early rowan. 2km of tarmac, then open fell, up to the top, back down beside the Gelt river. An almost perfect spring day up here, visibility c60km.

Moorwalker

Camino(s) past & future
The Saint's Way, Cornwall
I'm currently busy doing little local pilgrimages. I became interested in some of the obscure old places of pilgrimage recently so I've been doing walks to places like Congresbury (named after Saint Congar), the old church of St Nicholas at Uphill, and Bleadon church on the Mendips.

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
I spent this past week in Cuba. Mostly walking the streets of Havana and along the Prado and the 8 km stretch of the Malecon at sunset. A day walking and visiting new family in Guanajay. A truly amazing week of adventure and such memorable experiences. It was HOT!!! Good conditioning for my upcoming camino!

.Havana Prado.jpgHavana.jpgMalecon 2.jpgMalecon 3.jpgMalecon.jpgGuanajay.jpgGuanajay 2.jpgGuanajay 3.jpgHavana home.jpg

Last edited:

Roland49

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2019 June/July/August
Been on little vacation between Wednesday and Sunday (Holidays in Germany) in the Thuringian Forest:

SAM_4812.jpg
Oberweissbacher Bergbahn (cable car)
SAM_4818.jpg
A Camino in Thuringia?
SAM_4819.jpg
View from Moutain Station
SAM_4878.jpg
The view towards the "Thuringian Schiefergebirge" (Slate Moutains)
SAM_4884.jpg
deep in the woods (newly gravelled and marked)
SAM_4887.jpg
view from top of the hill
SAM_4892.jpg
Lupins
SAM_4894.jpg
Observation tower on the "Meuselbacher Kuppe", ~770m
SAM_4899.jpg
back to the village of Cursdorf

12km of the Panoramic View Route of the "Schwarzatal" (Valley of the most gold-rich River in Germany) walked in 2:42h.

27 days left until my Camino!

Camino(s) past & future
You proba
How are you doing at the moment ? And I like your new avatar. 🙏🤗
You probably can recognise the garden! I am doing well, thanks, Peter. I will take it easy enough but everything went fine and i expect it will give me the mobility i got from the first injection six months ago.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
You probably can recognise the garden
Unmistakable...a precious place. I hope the injection was not a trial, and that you are at the top of the curve as far az benefit is concerned!

Love the swan, @kirkie !
No walking for me...the days are full. Monday, though!

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
I finally had time today an tomorrow to stretch my legs a bit. But it's hot...
So I walked a late afternoon loop around Monte Santo, to say hello to all the blooming chestnut trees. The are not ancient ones, as in Spain...but the fragrance is just as sweet!

Attachments

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
A walk up up up to a lake and peat bog in the Apennines. A thunderstorm was chasing us but we were lucky...not one drop of rain!

Attachments

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Another local artwork in my neighbourhood.
Where the medieval gallow once was. Now there is a replica.

A floating chapel by artist Frits Jeuris. Took pics from every angle possible.
Absolutely stunning. And peaceful.
Then a Chardonnay from a local farmer.

Attachments

Last edited:

Peter Fransiscus

Be proud of who you are.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
20190707_103242.jpg
The bookmarket ( 1,8 km. books )in the Historic towncentre off Dordrecht.
20190707_104252.jpg

20190707_104523.jpg
One off the many harbours with the Big Church at the end.
20190707_104537.jpg

20190707_105043.jpg
The old st.Jacobs chapel build in the year 1900 as a part off the Catholic Hospital .
Now in use as a home. In winter time the temperature inside is only 11 / 12°Celcius.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino(s) past & future
Thank you, Purky! Quite the tech artist! I am soon going to switch everything off, and head out the door to the airport... Zabaldika, here I come! I doubt, though with your post one can never tell, I will see any elephants there...

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (Spring '17)
Primitivo (Spring '18)
Madrid (April '19)
I feel like I invented a new pilgrimage this week: the Camino de Moscow. I walked 25km around the city on Monday and 28km on Tuesday, as the weather was great both days.

I must have walked through Red Square 15+ times in the five days we were there, and this is my favourite photo of it: afternoon storm light hits the towers and onion domes of the wacky and wonderful St. Basil’s Cathedral.

Peter Fransiscus

Be proud of who you are.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Thank you, Purky! Quite the tech artist! I am soon going to switch everything off, and head out the door to the airport... Zabaldika, here I come! I doubt, though with your post one can never tell, I will see any elephants there...
My best wishes to the Sisters .

Camino(s) past & future
A beautiful afternoon. A big change for me, the storms of a couple of years ago loosened the wall, and with trying to clean the ivy, there was such a collapse that a huge work of restoration was needed. Cut stone from 12th century! The trees have been growing, so it is almost impossible now to view the pilgrims circling from Lower Zabaldika towards the rest area. Here are some photos (very slow to upload, so am just posting 3)

C844A947-6A9D-43DD-A263-2E90F83B8E57.jpeg
BBF474C3-F712-4833-B613-E166F9BEDA13.jpeg 96030805-404D-440F-808D-7B46F271954D.jpeg

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Yesterday, about 4 kms along the coast along Georgia Strait, so close that there was a constant tang and swish of the sea...but in forest dense enough that I only saw it once.

Attachments

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
Yesterday, about 4 kms along the coast along Georgia Strait, so close that there was a constant tang and swish of the sea...but in forest dense enough that I only saw it once.
Beautiful! Waving at you across the Straight! Hope you're having lovely days on Quadra. I'm heading to Denman Island in a couple of days. Looking forward to those mossy forest walks!

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Waving at you across the water!
It looks like you had sun yesterday, but by the time I was free to walk it was raining up here. Ah, well. That's what makes the moss.

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Visiting a Camino friend in Leiden/ the Netherlands.
We walked in the dunes and at the seaside.
Gorgeous view, so much nicer than the tall impersonal brick buildings at our Belgian seaside.

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
View attachment 61930
My first walk after the Camino. I've been living in Ireland for so long and it's the first time I got to do it. Eleven kilometres walk, 490m elevation. Glendalough, Co Wicklow, Ireland
Beautiful! Such a gift of a place. Your photo captures so much...

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Finally (and for a month or so) on 'home turf.'
So this finally counts as 'local!'
A bit shy of 6 and a half kms - my long-ago old running route, up into the National Park to Kilauea Iki Overlook onto the Crater Rim Trail and back. The tree ferns and forest were glorious.

Attachments

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Hilo, my home town. Famous for not much. Well, a huge (and wonderful) international hula festval
and tsunamis
Thanks to the tsunami and their terrible damage, the whole bayfront is now an enormous park with huge beautiful monkey pod trees. Which I walked under going and coming from an appointment.

And this is for you @Jeff Crawley: Only in Hawaii - ukuleles as decoration in the opthamologist's office. There is a shop in town with hundreds of them.

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
Out and about this morning, poor photo because of the angle of the sun, but it marks a bridge near me, named in honour of Count John Mc Cormack. Soon after, I came upon a tree festooned with bunches of bright red berries. Unless old folk tales have changed, this might be a harbinger of trying times in winter... then I carried on to do my chores: talk to a machine in the bank, talk to a lovely young woman in the fish shop, make friends with the butcher who had a special offer which is now in the freezer, visit a charity shop where the young man was encouraging everyone to buy 5 articles of clothing for €10. I could not oblige.I bought a small coin purse to donate something, and then he wanted to know where I was from. He had recognised my accent, being himself from the true capital of my country of origin. Only kidding, Glasgow is not the true capital, just the capital waiting in the wings.
10.2km later, here I am sitting down for a few minutes before I attack the final page of the bank statements for this financial year - it ends 31st August for me. so, that is my local story for today. Happy Tuesday. Screenshot 2019-08-23 at 12.58.20.png

Screenshot 2019-08-23 at 12.57.54.png

Camino(s) past & future
In this part of the world one can never pronounce on whether summer is here or not, but for the moment, we have something resembling summer weather. On my walk up town to buy some provisions in case winter should descend overnight, I took a great number of photos. This is my normal route uptown, along by the river. Today I was struck, looking at the first of the financial offices that caught my eye, alongside an old British former hotel that will soon be part of a mixed use dwelling/commercial/retail development... and recalled my experience recently on the Ingles and afterwards, in the area known as Ribeira Sacra. There, I was impressed by the witness of the many ermitas to the world as it was when they were built. I thought of the witness given by the buildings, bridges, street furniture we have today. Will they last? What will they speak of? There are photos of financial house buildings, bridges (one from ancient days when a toll was charged to cross the river), one by a famous architect from Valencia, a commemoration of World Poverty Day, a set of Famine Statues, a stand of bicycles with their subliminal - or not! - message... among others. My walk took me longer than usual!
BA5ACD8E-EDA6-482D-A50D-E67D6651413C.jpeg8C9DC060-6037-4FA3-8385-64B8B30745E0.jpeg41AAB60F-AB4E-4A9B-9E77-D19B15B0522E.jpeg979A6858-4FAE-466C-A598-9C9201BC029E.jpeg20EB4CBE-E80B-4093-8595-D29EB2CE4ED2.jpegE852C9B5-9F6A-420F-A557-A0E7B9ABF0E2.jpeg002ED60B-D3AF-4E42-B35F-FC5429448E79.jpegF74D2B3B-A161-44E5-99C5-AE7B442673C8.jpegD808B58D-7B09-493E-B6B8-22B19DBA5D82.jpegDBCA0311-EE03-4946-B35E-71F7D81A4519.jpeg

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
In this part of the world one can never pronounce on whether summer is here or not, but for the moment, we have something resembling summer weather. On my walk up town to buy some provisions in case winter should descend overnight, I took a great number of photos. This is my normal route uptown, along by the river. Today I was struck, looking at the first of the financial offices that caught my eye, alongside an old British former hotel that will soon be part of a mixed use dwelling/commercial/retail development... and recalled my experience recently on the Ingles and afterwards, in the area known as Ribeira Sacra. There, I was impressed by the witness of the many ermitas to the world as it was when they were built. I thought of the witness given by the buildings, bridges, street furniture we have today. Will they last? What will they speak of? There are photos of financial house buildings, bridges (one from ancient days when a toll was charged to cross the river), one by a famous architect from Valencia, a commemoration of World Poverty Day, a set of Famine Statues, a stand of bicycles with their subliminal - or not! - message... among others. My walk took me longer than usual!
View attachment 63776View attachment 63777View attachment 63781View attachment 63782View attachment 63783View attachment 63785View attachment 63786View attachment 63787View attachment 63788View attachment 63789
Lovely to see these photos @kirkie ! Memories of a wonderful afternoon and walk with you and @VNwalking in July! I have the same thoughts as I walk along the river front into my village. There have been dramatic changes in development in the last 20 years or so, rapid building up and around the few remaining "heritage" buildings. Thinking about the environment that they were built in and what would be a near unrecognizable landscape to them now.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 162 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 261 24.5%