A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Where did you walk ( locally ) in 2019

2020 Camino Guides
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
This is a lovely thread, interesting too see the variety of walks in preparation for the main event. At the beginning of the year I spent a month walking in Brazil, Camino da Fe. On my return had no intention of walking anywhere else this year until last month received the call to return so thought better repair trusty merrells, replace hiking socks, purchase new 'ice-breaker' jersey and took a little wander over the Wicklow hills, 32 of us spent the weekend walking 26km on St Kevin's way, a magical place and my purpose was too find a stone to take in my Francè but instead a button found me 🤠
The button weighs less. Lovely photos, and yes, all thanks to Sabine for the thread. And everyone for the sharing of the photos and words, of course. Thanks for sharing yours.

Derrybiketours

A journey of 500 miles begins with one step!
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdeP-SANT-FIN (09/2018)
PORTO-SANT (11/2018)
Caminho Da Fe, BR (01/2019)
SJPdeP- SANT (29/09/2019)
The button weighs less
Indeed it does, normally but interestingly I found a stone around the same time as the button found me which weighs less than the button. Both appear to be similarly proportioned. Some time before discovering these I had been talking to a fellow walker about all things Camino. He has completed 6 walks and has never received a sign. I explained that before my first camino I was constantly receiving small white fluffy feathers, then one day a button appeared with my name on it which I have left on the Camino. Whilst we walked and talked it was noticeable that small white fluffy feathers were present on the ground so we collected one each. There was a good energy between us and I asked if he'd accompany me to the Lough to locate my stone of intention. On the way he was surprised that a small black button appeared on the boardwalk and I picked it up and offered it too him. He declined and said he's a little amazed and conceded that it was meant for me. Let the universal games begin, can't wait to see what's in store on the Meseta 🤠

Attachments

Theo59

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2022
Today on hills around hometown. The valley is Philippi, where Roman democracy died and Roman empire was born in 42 bC. The mount in the back of third photo is Paggeon. In west side of the valley there is a church at the place Lydia, the first European Christian , was baptized.

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
There are a few Horseshoes in the Lake District!!

The Kentmere horseshoe...The Coledale...The Newlands...The Deepdale...and the Fairfield horseshoe...
A sunny morning saw us starting off over the little bridge just beyond Ambleside to walk the Fairfield one
A lot of mist on the top but it's cleared before when we went up there ....so we were hopeful again this time.
We only met one other walker on the way

Sure enough, as we had our picnic in the shelter, the mist cleared and a wonderful view unfolded

Down we came but on this section there seemed to be more ups than downs!!
Then the last bit, although with steps, was particularly steep.

Too much of this and we'll need knee replacements!

Last bit was through Rydal mount grounds where the poet William Wordsworth lived from 1813 until his death
His descendants still live there
A ramble brought us back to Ambleside image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Theo59

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2022
There are a few Horseshoes in the Lake District!!

The Kentmere horseshoe...The Coledale...The Newlands...The Deepdale...and the Fairfield horseshoe...
A sunny morning saw us starting off over the little bridge just beyond Ambleside to walk the Fairfield one
A lot of mist on the top but it's cleared before when we went up there ....so we were hopeful again this time.
We only met one other walker on the way

Sure enough, as we had our picnic in the shelter, the mist cleared and a wonderful view unfolded

Down we came but on this section there seemed to be more ups than downs!!
Then the last bit, although with steps, was particularly steep.

Too much of this and we'll need knee replacements!

Last bit was through Rydal mount grounds where the poet William Wordsworth lived from 1813 until his death
His descendants still live there
A ramble brought us back to Ambleside View attachment 64284View attachment 64285View attachment 64286View attachment 64287View attachment 64288View attachment 64289View attachment 64290View attachment 64291View attachment 64292
I" ll stick to that bridge. I like them literally and metaphorically.

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
I will walk a part of a camino de Santiago in Germany (Prüm to Trier) in October. We will be a group of 10 or 11 pilgrims and have a car for support. Thus my mum, now 78, will walk with me, too. Our last camino, which we walked together, Lisbon to Porto, ended with her in Hospital. The year later we found out that she had a severe heart disease (4 bypasses, 3 stents since then). She always wanted me to take her back on the camino again. This is a good opportunity for her to find out, if she can still walk a camino in moderate daily distances.. If it is not ok for her anymore, she will be back home within less than one hour by car.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I've been walking the Sydney coastal walk south, starting at Barrenjoey Lighthouse (near Palm Beach, for any Home and Away fans - in fact they were filming as I walked past). I am taking the headland and bush walks whenever possible. A beautiful city, with its spectacular location and extraordinary bushland surroundings. I've taken countless photos of the beaches, ocean and harbour.
Bungan Beach.jpg Rockpool DeeWhy.jpg Bondi Beach.jpg Opera House from the Bridge.jpg

Roland49

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2019 July
Hello fellow pilgrims,

last weekend I've walked a bit of the Elbe-Seitenweg (in the City of Dresden) and Dresden itself.
Not very local, but "only" 300km away from home.

Very nice city with many well known tourist-spots.
Some shots:
Dresden_O-0004 1.jpg
The Yenidze, a former cigarette factory, now a office complex
Dresden_O-0008.jpg
The "Zwinger", the Galery of the Kings of Saxony
Dresden_O-0014.jpg
Inside the Zwinger / King's Court
Dresden_O-0018.jpg
The Opera "Semper-Oper", with DeLorean, 2 icons of history
Dresden_O-0019.jpg
The majestic Church and parts of the City-Palace
Dresden_O-0029.jpg
The "Frauenkirche", rebuilt of ruins in the 90's after the reunification only with fundraised money
Dresden_O-0030.jpg
Semper-Oper again
Dresden_O-0033.jpg
The Elbe-River, view from the well known "Brühl'schen Terassen", a Fortification on the riverbanks in Dresden
Dresden_C-0046.jpg
Inside the Court of the Zwinger
Dresden_C-0055.jpg
Steamship on the Elbe-river

Hope you'll enjoy the pics.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
My daughter and I along with 100,000 of our new best friends walked in Melbourne Australia for climate change.
There aren't enough like buttons for this.

I'm far from any possible action, but did have a walk on Monday with friends, on a 20 degee day - with gorgeous views of forests and valleys in the Blue Mountains. And then overnight the weather seriously turned and we've been inside all week. The snow for me is a magical rarity and it vanished all too soon.

Attachments

Wokabaut_Meri

somewhere along the Way
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés 2015
Pilgrims Way 2018
Via Francigena #1 Canterbury-Dover 2018
It will be the Spring Equinox here in Australia in a few days but some intrepid souls have been continuing to swim in the sea throughout winter. We've had good days and not so good days but it is wonderful to walk the beach in all its various moods as a support crew for my husband and friends. Wonderful rainbow today against brooding skies yet last week a much calmer - and warmer - sea.

. brighton01.JPG brighton02.JPG

Wokabaut_Meri

somewhere along the Way
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés 2015
Pilgrims Way 2018
Via Francigena #1 Canterbury-Dover 2018
...and, of course, back in our backyard park - Onkaparinga River National Park. A new bridge has finally been installed to replace the old one washed away in floods a few years ago, giving us access to a nice climb and a great view over the township of Old Noarlunga.
oldnoarlunga01.JPG oldnoarlunga02.JPG oldnoarlunga03.jpg

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
An early walk along the beach from Bacton in Norfolk
Sun shining and miles and miles of golden sand
A lovely tea and coffee at Mundsley and on we went
Arrived in Cromer and on the spur of the moment we hopped on a bus to Norwich, the capital of Norfolk ...an hour or so through lovely countryside and little villages

First stop at Norwich Cathedral where we had a wonderful tour ...for a donation.
The Cathedral has stood for over 900 years as a presence in the heart of Norfolk which was once a very wealthy county...due to the cotton trade.
It's been said that Norwich once had as many churches as the weeks in the year and as many pubs as the days in a year!!
Then we walked through the cobbled streets with their quaint little shops and cafés
Back on the bus to Cromer and a late arrival back to the start.
A long and satisfying day image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Mary Doll

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sarria to Santiago (2018)
Camino Francés SJPDP to Finisterre planned for June 2020
I’ve been on holiday this week on the North West coast of Scotland around 300 miles north of my home town. Yesterday’s walk was to a remote beach which involves an 8 mile round walk across moorland. Yesterday was the perfect day for it. Also gave me the chance to test out my new Osprey Tempest 40 for the first time. I stuffed it with a puffy jacket and a hoodie and some waterproofs just to bulk it up a bit along with a litre and a half of water and a flask of coffee and some food. Not quite Camino weight but I’m confident now it will be ideal for the Camino.

Attachments

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Look at those trees @Theatregal ! Wonderful.
And Peter, I hope that restaurant was roomier than its entrance!
My walk was by the sea, and now again in an airport concourse (they can be super exercise).

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
Left the house this morning at 9.30 in drizzly rain. got home around 4pm in bright sunshine. My feet are singing songs to me, as they have not been bunched up inside shoes for five weeks or more... walked along by a local canal and into the Botanic Gardens, then later through a delightful area right in the middle of town that I have always known of but never actually walked through it. My steps app says I walked 16.7km, with 22,505 steps. There is an annual exhibition in the Botanics, Sculpture in context. Some of the photos are of the entries, others are of nature’s best, and i know which I prefer...I did choose the beehive set as my favourite, because it was done by a group of young people, and highlights the urgency of keeping our bees alive and well...
75B4BE81-BCAA-4AB5-AAF4-7E322435810E.jpeg C50075B3-61A5-4678-907B-532E4E02A53A.jpeg 0C76D873-6CE7-46CE-A02C-DCD628FC3D54.jpeg C8A40E07-2DA9-4DCD-9F31-606AE1929AE7.jpeg 99C952A1-70E7-4CCD-9784-1FDE632AC7C1.jpeg 123BDDDD-7A53-432A-96E3-2F2086B40721.jpeg

Camino(s) past & future
Left the house this morning at 9.30 in drizzly rain. got home around 4pm in bright sunshine. My feet are singing songs to me, as they have not been bunched up inside shoes for five weeks or more... walked along by a local canal and into the Botanic Gardens, then later through a delightful area right in the middle of town that I have always known of but never actually walked through it. My steps app says I walked 16.7km, with 22,505 steps. There is an annual exhibition in the Botanics, Sculpture in context. Some of the photos are of the entries, others are of nature’s best, and i know which I prefer...I did choose the beehive set as my favourite, because it was done by a group of young people, and highlights the urgency of keeping our bees alive and well...
View attachment 65192View attachment 65193View attachment 65194View attachment 65195View attachment 65196View attachment 65197
Fantastic photos...
The spiders web is amazing ...
A new profession surely awaits you!!

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Fantastic photos...
The spiders web is amazing ...
A new profession surely awaits you!!
I totally agree, Annette. That spider web is amazing, but I especially love the way the spider himself is outlined in bright light!

hel&scott

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
18 Harvest  3.jpg

I am tagging along, bringing up the rear while these three take the lead home... this is the camino Scott and I made after our last trip to Spain together, it wanders around our farm sometimes as a roadway, someplaces a grass track... bit like the real thing, only greener.

Camino(s) past & future

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Wonderful hike today up Grouse Mountain.
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

this is the camino Scott and I made after our last trip to Spain together, it wanders around our farm sometimes as a roadway, someplaces a grass track.
Yes, but Kiwi fences are SO much better.;)

Camino(s) past & future
How near were you to that bear? Such a great photo. My sister lives in your neck of the woods so i always love to see how seasons change over there (she is a bit more north: point zero on Alaskan Highway). Super photos, thanks.
Hah, that's what I was wondering too!

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
How near were you to that bear? Such a great photo. My sister lives in your neck of the woods so i always love to see how seasons change over there (she is a bit more north: point zero on Alaskan Highway). Super photos, thanks.
About 20 feet away...but very safe - he was protected from us humans :) Near the top of the mountain there is an open range habitat refuge for rescued wildlife. This Grizzly Bear was found as a cub after a logging truck hit and killed his mother and 2 siblings. Cubs can't survive on their own without their mothers, so he was brought to Grouse Mountain.
Still a dream of mine to travel the Alaskan Highway!

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Oh, a Pileated! Beautiful shot of him, @Theatregal !

Today, ahhhhh...a nice up and down Bushwalk near Tairua, with a friend who's as wild about the flora as I. Sadly, with only a phone for photos and no macro lens, the Sun Orchid and Ladyslipper pics did not turn out.
And I did a good job of twisting an ankle but it was worth it. The views? Just wonderful.

Attachments

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
Oh, a Pileated! Beautiful shot of him, @Theatregal !

Today, ahhhhh...a nice up and down Bushwalk near Tairua, with a friend who's as wild about the flora as I. Sadly, with only a phone for photos and no macro lens, the Sun Orchid and Ladyslipper pics did not turn out.
And I did a good job of twisting an ankle but it was worth it. The views? Just wonderful.
Thank you! yes - he was a beauty! Gorgeous view in your photo - what a rock! Really hope your ankle is okay.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
See signature

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
An amble through the hills in the Coromandel, with views of the sea, and past blooming manuka bushes buzzing with bees. And there were friendly cows...

Then in the afternoon, I enjoyed a bit of bush-bashing, following a stream track up to a labyrinth.

Attachments

Last edited:

Peter Fransiscus

Be proud of who you are.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
An amble through the hills in the Coromandel, with views of the sea, and past blooming manuka bushes buzzing with bees. And there were friendly cows...

Then in the afternoon, I enjoyed a bit of bush-bashing, following a stream track up to a labyrinth.
Beautiful photo's , thank you for sharing. 🙏

Camino(s) past & future

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 172 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 278 24.4%