• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter gear (Feb/March) - Am I missing anything obvious?

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra '15; Levante-Invierno '19
Planning a long Camino (Levante/VDLP/Invierno) starting in early February. I figure the weather could do pretty much anything although I would expect temps to be between 0-15 C most of the time. However in the last couple of years they have had blizzards and unusual hot temps. I'm at hot weather hiking but am a beginner at the cooler temps which is part of the challenge of this camino.

This is what I have available to me already:

Top half:
Arc'teryx Beta AR Gortex Jacket - good waterproof jacket. Definitely coming.
Arc'teryx Rho LTW Zip Neck long sleeve base layer (ok but not my favourite)
Arc'teryx Squamish super lightweight (~150g tops) windjacket which works in drizzly conditions but not waterproof enough for anything heavier. Used this in summer but wondering if it might have a role as a windshirt. Have used it with a Tshirt at 12 deg C and it kept me warm enough.
Cederberg Merino Long sleeve base layer. Love wearing this over a tshirt.
Icebreaker Affinity Thermo Merino Pullover 200 Lightweight 310g
A variety of technical t-shirts of different weights - probably my light judo technical shirt.
Sea to Summit Poncho - also waterproof and would keep my Aarnpack dry. Never used it last camino!
Also have a silver umbrella, buffs, hat, gloves.

Bottom half:
Just ordered Paramo Cascada II hiking trousers so I don't need waterproofs.
Also have 2XL compression thermal tights
Also would take my cargo shorts.

I work on the theory that if it is really cold, I wear everything but hopefully I won't need to. Everything can be worn in combination with something else.
Also the first month will be Valencia to Zamora so hopefully slightly warmer than the northern routes and no big mountains.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Donna!
Looks to me that you have everything you need (and more!) :)
I have no experience of Caminos in Spain in Winter but... I have walked (continuously) from July to December, passing through Bulgaria, Serbia, Turkey....Everything from 35 + temperatures to minus ones, rain, wind and snow.
This is what I took: (all in 'tech-y' fabric)
- 'silky' camisole, (that very thin layer made all the difference I think)
- 2 short-sleeved T-shirts
- 2 short-sleeved shirts (just to look less 'pilgrimmy' in the evenings lol)
- 1 pair very light long trousers
-1 Macabi skirt
- running shorts (also served as sleeping gear combined with the camisole)
- 1 zipped fleece
- 1 wind-breaker jacket (very light and only showerproof)
- 1 poncho.
Once in Vienna my husband brought me my merino leggings and a merino jumper. Couldn't have done without it, even slept in them in cold countries...

Sun hat (also protects from the rain), buff (invaluable! Protects your ears from the cold too).

I bought wolly glooves in a market on the way.

I bought thicker walking trousers once in Sofia, didn't find a proper rainproof jacket but perfectly managed without.
I also bought more outer socks (I think I started with 3 pairs) as they took a loooooong time to dry.

It doesn't seem much but I never needed anything more even in harsh(ish) weather.
Hope it helps?
Enjoy your preparations :)

Last edited:
Donna,

Most of us who have walked in late autumn/winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment topichttp://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/equipment-questions.30/
to see a multitude of varied approaches. Here's mine
http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/kit-and-tips.html

Remember winter is a great time to walk, but you must be PREPARED!

Happy planning, stay safe and Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi - a couple of thoughts... if you can get a very light backpack rain cover you could maybe ditch the poncho since your jacket is already bulletproof. Also, I carry two types of gloves in the winter: a very lightweight pair of merino gloves for cool/chilly days and a pair of waterproof skiing gloves (I use Hester’s but am sure there are others) for the snowing/raining days. I also use an extra long buff so I can cover my face and neck comfortably when the snow and wind is blowing. Enjoy your winter Camino!!

Planning a long Camino (Levante/VDLP/Invierno) starting in early February. I figure the weather could do pretty much anything although I would expect temps to be between 0-15 C most of the time. However in the last couple of years they have had blizzards and unusual hot temps. I'm at hot weather hiking but am a beginner at the cooler temps which is part of the challenge of this camino.

This is what I have available to me already:

Top half:
Arc'teryx Beta AR Gortex Jacket - good waterproof jacket. Definitely coming.
Arc'teryx Rho LTW Zip Neck long sleeve base layer (ok but not my favourite)
Arc'teryx Squamish super lightweight (~150g tops) windjacket which works in drizzly conditions but not waterproof enough for anything heavier. Used this in summer but wondering if it might have a role as a windshirt. Have used it with a Tshirt at 12 deg C and it kept me warm enough.
Cederberg Merino Long sleeve base layer. Love wearing this over a tshirt.
Icebreaker Affinity Thermo Merino Pullover 200 Lightweight 310g
A variety of technical t-shirts of different weights - probably my light judo technical shirt.
Sea to Summit Poncho - also waterproof and would keep my Aarnpack dry. Never used it last camino!
Also have a silver umbrella, buffs, hat, gloves.

Bottom half:
Just ordered Paramo Cascada II hiking trousers so I don't need waterproofs.
Also have 2XL compression thermal tights
Also would take my cargo shorts.

I work on the theory that if it is really cold, I wear everything but hopefully I won't need to. Everything can be worn in combination with something else.
Also the first month will be Valencia to Zamora so hopefully slightly warmer than the northern routes and no big mountains.
I don’t see an insulated jacket on your list. I’m walking the CF next March and April. I’ll definitely be taking a lightweight insulated jacket. Mine is from REI. It’s not waterproof, but if I need that I’ll put on my rain jacket. I’m a believer in layers, but I wouldn’t walk in winter without an insulated jacket. As someone else wrote, I’d also look into a buff for face protection and a hat and gloves. I would ditch the poncho. I’ve hiked in a Minnesota blizzard with my planned winter trekking kit and stayed warm and dry. Everything else on your list seems solid, I just really question not bringing a lightweight insulated jacket.

I just thought of something else you might want to add to your kit. I am bringing a pair of biking sunglasses that have interchangeable lenses. I will bring one lens that is a regular sunglasses tint and one that is clear. Driving snow and sleet really hurts unprotected eyes. On those days I will use the clear lens. On sunny days in a snowy landscape, the tinted lens will help protect my eyes from the glare of the snow.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi - a couple of thoughts... if you can get a very light backpack rain cover you could maybe ditch the poncho since your jacket is already bulletproof. Also, I carry two types of gloves in the winter: a very lightweight pair of merino gloves for cool/chilly days and a pair of waterproof skiing gloves (I use Hester’s but am sure there are others) for the snowing/raining days. I also use an extra long buff so I can cover my face and neck comfortably when the snow and wind is blowing. Enjoy your winter Camino!!
Glove liners for big gloves if you have fingertip problem like me

I don’t see an insulated jacket on your list.
It is more versatile to combine thinner layers of good materials rather than having a single thicker layer.

Edited to add: I don't own a heavy winter coat and I live in Canada. Sure, I live in a mild area but I frequently visit colder places. I take my light rain jacket, down vest, buff, gloves, long johns and regular clothes.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a very light down vest to add to the mix. Will be taking my sleeping bag and silk liner.

It is more versatile to combine thinner layers of good materials rather than having a single thicker layer.

Edited to add: I don't own a heavy winter coat and I live in Canada. Sure, I live in a mild area but I frequently visit colder places. I take my light rain jacket, down vest, buff, gloves, long johns and regular clothes.
I didn’t see down vest on your original list. I agree with the addition of a down vest you should be fine.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.