• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Packing List for a 4-Day Trek from Salamanca

ErnestBoyd

Time of past OR future Camino
(via de la plata)
I know this has been done many many times but I will also add to the packing list fray!
I am opening myself up to critic here as I could use some help. My pack is currently about 7.5kg without snacks and water. I worry that is too much and I should leave some stuff home. I will be walking from Salamanca and leave in just 4 days!

I do run hot while actually walking but I tend to freeze when at rest/hanging inside. I feel I need everything on this list, perhaps I will be convinced otherwise by you. I really don't believe I need to add anything.

I'm starting to become very nervous for the physical aspect and my Spanish. Any words of encouragement welcome! I'm sure it will all turn out alright but I am a worrier.

Thank you in advance to all who read this silly post.

The list as follows:

Wearing:
Warm leggings
Merino wool tank dress (homemade)
Merino wool long sleeve shirt
Undies & bra
Sock liners and darn tough wool socks
wool buff
lightweight beanie hat
altra lone peak shoes
fannypack with phone/documents/powerbank

Inside Bag:
Gossamer Gear Mariposa
Down sleeping quilt with silk liner (UGQ bandit quilt)
Arcteryx Proton LT (warm clean layer for nights and mornings)
Patagonia zip fleece (for walking when cold)
Woolpower 200 long sleeve (clean warm layer for nights/and sleep)
2 merino wool long sleeves (my everyday base layers)
Kuhl warm legging (walking spare to trade off)
3 undies
2 bras (slow to dry)
2 sock liners
2 darn tough socks
Light fleece sleep pant
Cotton t shirt for sleep
Arcteryx rain coat
light rain pants
wool buff #2
running gloves
sarong
shammy (as towel)
laundry soap tabs from sea to summit

Toiletries:
toothbrush & paste travel size
muscle rub (icy hot or biofreeze)
lush shampoo
Dr bronners liquid soap
hairbrush
small deodorant and body glide
feminine products
pain killers
tissues and wetwipes
eyemask

Others:
sunglasses
journal
guidebook
kindle
headlamp
gearties
ultrasil backpack
shopping bag
pack rain cover
dirty girl gaiters
crocs
charger cords for watch kindle headphones phone
headphones
blow up neck pillow for airplane
ballcap
osprey 2 liter bladder (wont fill it up all the way)
a couple ultrasil dry bags for organization/waterproof

Most things are pictured other then sleeping back and pack and shoes/crocs.

I list three shirts and three sets of socks/undies/bras as less laundry the better and it may not all dry overnight in winter.

1642806371466.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looks good to me.
A bit much on underwear, accessories and sleep, but i have not yet walked a camino in winter. 7,5kg baseweight should put you on the lower end of the spectrum for that time. I'd personally would leave a few items and buy what i feel is missing, but i am more of populated camino person, no idea how much shops are on the sanabres. I sent my kindle home (and a few other things), but again, that was Frances in late spring. Different story.
Just a tiny thing: You can use Dr.Bronners for laundry too... might shave a few grams from the tablets. (and i use it as shampoo too, but i guess its a guy thing)
edit: ultrasil backpack and shopping bag are redundant. another couple grams saved :)

I am a little confused when I try to figure out the layering options. Please understand that I have no objections to your list, for you, but will offer some comments in case you want to reduce your load.

• Aren't the above 2 items rather redundant? They both can serve under your rain jacket, or for warmth whenever, but you would never need both.

• Will the above 3 shirts be layered in addition to your listed walking outfit or your evening wear? You will need one shirt as your dinner/evening wear, to be combined with either the Arcteryx or Patagonia for warmth and topped by the rain jacket when you go outside. You can wear your dinner/evening shirt to bed if it is cold. Maybe 2 of these would be nice to have, but I don't see the need for 3.
  • Do you need this spare? In emergency (i.e. walking pair is wet, or it is extremely cold) you can always layer up with your fleece sleeping pants and rain pants. Or can you wear the spare leggings to sleep in?
Just some ideas! :)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looks good to me.
A bit much on underwear, accessories and sleep, but i have not yet walked a camino in winter. 7,5kg baseweight should put you on the lower end of the spectrum for that time. I'd personally would leave a few items and buy what i feel is missing, but i am more of populated camino person, no idea how much shops are on the sanabres. I sent my kindle home (and a few other things), but again, that was Frances in late spring. Different story.
Just a tiny thing: You can use Dr.Bronners for laundry too... might shave a few grams from the tablets. (and i use it as shampoo too, but i guess its a guy thing)
edit: ultrasil backpack and shopping bag are redundant. another couple grams saved :)
Thank you for the well thought out response! It's true that every gram saved is helpful so I will use your tips. I won't give up my shampoo; but using bronners for laundry is something I'm willing to try!

I will again reassess my clothing...as much as I don't want to give anything up it may be worth it in the end. I think the shops will be adequate as I will be passing through more then one big city. It is better to take less and buy it if I need it.

I am a little confused when I try to figure out the layering options. Please understand that I have no objections to your list, for you, but will offer some comments in case you want to reduce your load.
I appreciate your comments! I understand you have no objections, I will share my mental justifications for my layers I have added.

• Aren't the above 2 items rather redundant? They both can serve under your rain jacket, or for warmth whenever, but you would never need both.
So I suppose they kind of are redundant? You're right I probably would never wear both at the same time, unless on the airplane when I freeze. In my head I want both because the proton is way too hot to walk in but I'd like it at night. The zip fleece I could see myself walking in when its colder out. Its hard to plan for the unknown of weather. Right now it does look like I may have a good window of weather. If I were to give up one I guess it would be the zip fleece.

• Will the above 3 shirts be layered in addition to your listed walking outfit or your evening wear? You will need one shirt as your dinner/evening wear, to be combined with either the Arcteryx or Patagonia for warmth and topped by the rain jacket when you go outside. You can wear your dinner/evening shirt to bed if it is cold. Maybe 2 of these would be nice to have, but I don't see the need for 3.
The 3 wool long sleeves wouldn't be worn together. I have long debated my need for 3 baselayers. They would be my rotating dinner shirt and walking shirts. I was thinking of having three to only do laundry every other day... or for wear one was one spare one? This may be completely unnecessary and I should drop one. Each is 150g.
The woolpower is more of a lofty sweater that I would wear over a baselayer or by itself with a bra. Basically a clean warmth layer I was hoping not to walk in. Again I should just choose between this or the zip fleece.

I've read that you pack your insecurities. I suppose I fear not having clean dry clothes to put on after a long days work!
  • Do you need this spare? In emergency (i.e. walking pair is wet, or it is extremely cold) you can always layer up with your fleece sleeping pants and rain pants. Or can you wear the spare leggings to sleep in?
Just some ideas! :)
You make a good point. I could wear spare leggings to sleep in and drop the fleece pants. They are very lightweight and comfier for sleep but are starting to wear thin and I could walk in them in an emergency. I should only take one or the other.

I feel like you maybe talked me into seriously rethinking some items. I had arguments and justifications for every piece but in the end I still was packing for the worst case scenario or "what-ifs"
I'd rather keep my back and knees happy in the long run.
:)

Don't forget that merino wool doesn't get stinky easily, especially in winter when you aren't likely to get very sweaty. So it doesn't really need to be washed every day, so that will cut down on some of your laundry concerns.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After walking many late autumn/winter caminos in easier happier times I realized that nothing carried on the camino is ever truly clean or dry or tidy. Reality is a gradation of grey and damp and mess! Nevertheless that's life.

Walking I always wore a short sleeved polyester undershirt topped by a polyester longsleeve shirt. I also carried 1 extra set of the same combo.

Perhaps this kit list and tips
from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in late autumn/winter might be useful.

Carpe diem and Buen camino!

Hi! Please understand that posting a list is not opening yourself up to criticism and good on you for being open to advice. I dont understand a lot of your clothing (brands) and my internet is pretty poor at the moment so wont google.

I have walked the CF twice in winter (with my family). what works for me is:

walking:
- a light synthetic cami (adds warmth, dries super fast and I dont like the feel of merino against my skin, 1 long sleeve merino, a zip up polar fleece jacket and a gortex rain/wind coat. I also wore a buff, ear muffs ( like a wide headband style, not like headphones), merino sock. I was always warm enough. You can expect to be a little on the cold side as you step out but walking and carrying a pack will see you nice and warm within 10 mins.

pack: cami/singlet, 1 long and one short sleeve merino, 2 extra pairs of each: bra and undies and socks. (I took other things as well, eg prescription medication, sun block, lip balm and a spare, face cream, body moisturizer - non negotiables!) warm hiking pants.

Sleep: long johns and the shirt I would wear the next day. I had an extra pair of long johns but did not need them.

I had the luxury of being able to use a washing machine/dryer regularly as the four of us filled a load.

wool buff #2 - just need 1
running gloves - the warmer the better - gortex if possible to keep the rain out as much as possible
sarong - why?
shammy (as towel)
laundry soap tabs from sea to summit - Love to know how these work for you :)

Toiletries:
muscle rub - I lugged a tub around hardly used- are you sure you will need it - can be bought along the way
lush shampoo
Dr bronners liquid soap
hairbrush - will a comb suffice?
feminine products
pain killers - definitely AND buy them along the way!!
tissues and wetwipes - do you need wet wipes?
eyemask - personal choice
Also personal choice, but we always take nail clippers!

Others:
sunglasses
journal
guidebook
kindle - can you download kindle on your phone - you will probably get used to it pretty fast
headlamp - I have taken one twice never used it. Will probably take it on my next! its prob not necessary
gearties - if these are cable ties, I dont think you need them
ultrasil backpack
shopping bag - definitely - a washable one doubles as washing bag
pack rain cover
dirty girl gaiters - personal choice, I debated but decided not to - glad we didnt have the extra weight
crocs
headphones
ballcap - definitely, great under a hood in the rain, keeps the rain out of your eyes/face

I list three shirts and three sets of socks/undies/bras as less laundry the better and it may not all dry overnight in winter. - fair call!

Just a few thoughts from what we did. 7.5kg is a fair weight for a winter camino, ours were about that weight too.

At the end of the day, its your pack, youi are carrying it and everyone has their own idea of what they can and cant live without.

Hope you have a wonderful, wonderful walk and dont forget to tell us about it along the way :)

I know this has been done many many times but I will also add to the packing list fray!
I am opening myself up to critic here as I could use some help. My pack is currently about 7.5kg without snacks and water. I worry that is too much and I should leave some stuff home. I will be walking from Salamanca and leave in just 4 days!

I do run hot while actually walking but I tend to freeze when at rest/hanging inside. I feel I need everything on this list, perhaps I will be convinced otherwise by you. I really don't believe I need to add anything.

I'm starting to become very nervous for the physical aspect and my Spanish. Any words of encouragement welcome! I'm sure it will all turn out alright but I am a worrier.

The list as follows:

Wearing:
Warm leggings
Undies & bra
wool buff
lightweight beanie hat
altra lone peak shoes

Inside Bag:
Gossamer Gear Mariposa
3 undies
2 bras (slow to dry)
2 sock liners
2 darn tough socks
Light fleece sleep pant
Cotton t shirt for sleep
Arcteryx rain coat
light rain pants
wool buff #2
running gloves
sarong
shammy (as towel)

Toiletries:
lush shampoo
Dr bronners liquid soap
hairbrush
feminine products
pain killers
tissues and wetwipes
eyemask

Others:
sunglasses
journal
guidebook
kindle
headlamp
gearties
ultrasil backpack
shopping bag
pack rain cover
dirty girl gaiters
crocs
headphones
ballcap

I list three shirts and three sets of socks/undies/bras as less laundry the better and it may not all dry overnight in winter.

View attachment 117030
What about a light weight down jacket.Packs up small and is better than a heavy fleece.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

The list as follows:

Wearing:
Warm leggings
Undies & bra
wool buff
lightweight beanie hat
altra lone peak shoes

Inside Bag:
Gossamer Gear Mariposa
3 undies
2 bras (slow to dry)
2 sock liners
2 darn tough socks
Light fleece sleep pant
Cotton t shirt for sleep
Arcteryx rain coat
light rain pants
wool buff #2
running gloves
sarong
shammy (as towel)

Toiletries:
lush shampoo
Dr bronners liquid soap
hairbrush
feminine products
pain killers
tissues and wetwipes
eyemask

Others:
sunglasses
journal
guidebook
kindle
headlamp
gearties
ultrasil backpack
shopping bag
pack rain cover
dirty girl gaiters
crocs
headphones
ballcap

View attachment 117030
All that stuff and only 16+ # ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I love winter caminos but I do tend to play safer with some extra layers, but you are already rethinking. But cotton t-shirt seems not the best option, as its only one purpose, generally one of my "back up" layers serves to sleep in.
Personally I'd skip the ball cap in winter if you have a beanie hat.
Someone mentioned lipbalm, if outside in less inclement weather my lips crack, its worth thinking about.
But one add in is with shortened daylight hours it's worth having a fluorescent/reflective item so you are visible on roads (even a strip of reflective tape works).

I walked the Camino last month, it was gray, rainy and chilly.

If I were to do it again I would only pack the following:

1 thick legging for hiking and one legging for lounging/sleep = 2 pants total
1 merino woold long sleeve for hiking
1 merino wool long sleeve for lounging/sleeping
1 merino wool long sleeve button-down cardigan for hiking layer or lounging layer
= 3 top merino wool layers total
1 fleece buff
1 good jacket with hood for warmth and rain
1 thin $20 rain jacket I got at costco. - wore this daily as my top layer when my jacket was too hot
1 $20 thin, packable "down alternative" jacket I got on Amazon (mainly wore this in early morning and evenings)
1 thin, $25 backable sleeping bag I got on Amazon - I found the alburgues heated in the evenings and I could always layer up and wear my wool beanie, if necessary
1 wool beanie - I WORE THIS EVERY DAY AND EVENING!
1 pair wool glove liners I used as gloves (if needed I could've used a pair of my wool socks over them)
2 sock liners
3 pair wool socks (1 hike, 1 lounge and 1 drying from being washed)
3 undies (1 hike, 1 after shower, 1 drying)
1 wool bra or any sport type bra
1 pair hiking boots
1 pair slides/crocs (I only used in alburgues)
1 travel towel
1 rain poncho to serve as rain jacket and backpack cover
1 mini Dr. Bronners all purpose soap
1 mini hair conditioner
toiletries
1 sunglasses and 1 reading glasses
1 pack of cards (optional)
1 nylon bag for groceries/shopping
I brought a bathing suit for the hot springs in Ourenses but they are closed.
Charging cord and adapter
1 small, packable travel pillow - this may seem unnecessary to some, but I have a bad neck and can only use this small, squishable pillows. It is the size of an airplane pillow but a little softer and thinner. I always travel with this as this is a necessity for me. Others put clothes in a bag or tshirt to use as a pillow, but I never regret taking my little pillow.

I brought too many "just in case" things that I never used. Most things you can easily purchase there if you need something. I didn't get blisters and used the sock liner with wool socks technique. Just once I tied my boot too tight and it rubbed the top of my foot. I just put a bandaid/plaster on it to stop the friction and didn't tie that tight again!

here are my comments to your list:

Wearing:
Warm leggings - I brought 2 pants/leggings total - one to hike and one to sleep/alburgue
Merino wool tank dress (homemade) - I brought a dress and never used it.
Merino wool long sleeve shirt - I brought one long sleeve
Undies & bra -
Sock liners and darn tough wool socks - YES
wool buff - only 1 needed
lightweight beanie hat - I used my wool beanie EVERY DAY
altra lone peak shoes
fannypack with phone/documents/powerbank - I kept my stuff in my legging pocket and jacket pocket, but this is up to you.

Inside Bag:
Gossamer Gear Mariposa -
Down sleeping quilt with silk liner (UGQ bandit quilt) - I didn't use a liner.
Arcteryx Proton LT (warm clean layer for nights and mornings) -
Patagonia zip fleece (for walking when cold) - I only used layers with jacket on top
Woolpower 200 long sleeve (clean warm layer for nights/and sleep) - I only used one long sleeve shirt for nights/sleeping/lounging.
2 merino wool long sleeves (my everyday base layers) - I only used one for hiking
3 undies
2 bras (slow to dry)
2 sock liners - yes
2 darn tough socks - yes
Light fleece sleep pant
Cotton t shirt for sleep - I slept in 1 long sleeve merino wool top
Arcteryx rain coat - I used a rain poncho/pack cover
light rain pants - I never used my pants, the rain poncho did it all

Toiletries:
muscle rub - I used a small, spiky ball to roll out my feet and calfs
lush shampoo - omit and use Dr. bronners
Dr bronners liquid soap
hairbrush -
small deodorant and body glide - I never needed the glide
feminine products
pain killers - I used tylenol and occassionally benadryl (diphenhydramine) to help me sleep & for air travel
tissues and wetwipes - only used a small pack of kleenex
eyemask - didnt use.

Others:
sunglasses - yes, and sunscreen for the face
journal
guidebook - I downloaded to phone
kindle - didn't use
headlamp - didn't use. I used my telephone when occasionally needed
gearties -
ultrasil backpack - I didn't use my daypack at all
shopping bag - yes, I used a super lightweight nylon bag
pack rain cover - Not necessary if you have a rain poncho
dirty girl gaiters - - I didnt' use my gaiters at all.
crocs - good for evening
charger cords
headphones - I don't use
blow up neck pillow for airplane - see above, I use a small, packable pillow
ballcap - I ony used my wool beanie, up to you. I packed one and didn't use it.
osprey 2 liter bladder (wont fill it up all the way) - just carried a plastic water bottle and refilled at lunch.

You can always leave things you aren't using behind. And, you can always purchase stuff there if you need something you forgot. Have a wonderful trip.
Buen Camino.

I'll second the suggestion to download kindle to your phone.
I agree. Generally I find that my interest in recreational reading diminishes to zero when I am on the Camino. Instead, I feel that I am living an adventure and don't feel the urge to read about someone else's. My phone gives me all the information reading I need, and I can always have a novel or two stored in case of an emergency reading need.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Don't forget that merino wool doesn't get stinky easily, especially in winter when you aren't likely to get very sweaty. So it doesn't really need to be washed every day, so that will cut down on some of your laundry concerns.
Yes! One of my favorite parts of wool. It really doesn't stink. There is a nice feeling to merino being fresh and clean however, that was probably my concern. Thanks for your reply! Everyone is most helpful!

After walking many late autumn/winter caminos in easier happier times I realized that nothing carried on the camino is ever truly clean or dry or tidy. Reality is a gradation of grey and damp and mess! Nevertheless that's life.
HAHA! I'm sure I will come to this realization and accept it early on in my first camino. Thank you for this little reminder of reality. I believe you are correct.
Walking I always wore a short sleeved polyester undershirt topped by a polyester longsleeve shirt. I also carried 1 extra set of the same combo.
Ok very nice, just two sets of clothes is what worked well for you. I believe I could do that as well.
Perhaps this kit list and tips
from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in late autumn/winter might be useful.
I love this list and have read it before but it had been a while. Thanks for linking as it is a good one and I will read it carefully again.
Carpe diem and Buen camino!
Gracias!

I have walked the CF twice in winter (with my family). what works for me is:
walking:
- a light synthetic cami (adds warmth, dries super fast and I dont like the feel of merino against my skin, 1 long sleeve merino, a zip up polar fleece jacket and a gortex rain/wind coat. I also wore a buff, ear muffs ( like a wide headband style, not like headphones), merino sock. I was always warm enough. You can expect to be a little on the cold side as you step out but walking and carrying a pack will see you nice and warm within 10 mins.

pack: cami/singlet, 1 long and one short sleeve merino, 2 extra pairs of each: bra and undies and socks. (I took other things as well, eg prescription medication, sun block, lip balm and a spare, face cream, body moisturizer - non negotiables!) warm hiking pants.

Sleep: long johns and the shirt I would wear the next day. I had an extra pair of long johns but did not need them.
Thank you for posting your experience. It's nice to see what's worked for you as you've been through this before. I will defiantly utilize most of this advice!
wool buff #2 - just need 1
running gloves - the warmer the better - gortex if possible to keep the rain out as much as possible
sarong - why?
shammy (as towel)
laundry soap tabs from sea to summit - Love to know how these work for you :)
Toiletries:
muscle rub - I lugged a tub around hardly used- are you sure you will need it - can be bought along the way
hairbrush - will a comb suffice?
pain killers - definitely AND buy them along the way!!
tissues and wetwipes - do you need wet wipes?
eyemask - personal choice
Also personal choice, but we always take nail clippers!

kindle - can you download kindle on your phone - you will probably get used to it pretty fast
headlamp - I have taken one twice never used it. Will probably take it on my next! its prob not necessary
gearties - if these are cable ties, I dont think you need them
shopping bag - definitely - a washable one doubles as washing bag
dirty girl gaiters - personal choice, I debated but decided not to - glad we didnt have the extra weight
ballcap - definitely, great under a hood in the rain, keeps the rain out of your eyes/face

I list three shirts and three sets of socks/undies/bras as less laundry the better and it may not all dry overnight in winter. - fair call!
Again thank you for taking the time! The sarong was for after shower as my towel is very tiny so its nice to wrap up in something before dressing. Perhaps I will leave it at home though.
I'll buy different gloves there I think. Something cheap from Decathalon that will be warmer then these.
I'll leave the muscle rub and buy if needed.
My hair is waist length and I need to braid it everyday or its a problem... Unfortunately I need a brush!
Nail clippers are listed but they are packed! I'm diligent about those as I rock climb.
I will bring my kindle. I read a lot and every night before bed. This is already a sacrifice as I typically have a paperback or two with me too!
Thanks for all these great tips and pointers.
Just a few thoughts from what we did. 7.5kg is a fair weight for a winter camino, ours were about that weight too.
Glad to hear my weight may already be spot on. Very encouraging. But I will still be leaving some things back for sure.
Hope you have a wonderful, wonderful walk and dont forget to tell us about it along the way :)
Thank you Gumba! Maybe I should do journal entries or similar on this forum to keep my notes organized and share my experiences.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What about a light weight down jacket.Packs up small and is better than a heavy fleece.
I only have light synthetic down jackets, they are a bit heavier. The fleece is a just a touch lighter then that. My non hooded nano is lighter then the fleece so that may be a smaller option. Thankse!

I love winter caminos but I do tend to play safer with some extra layers, but you are already rethinking. But cotton t-shirt seems not the best option, as its only one purpose, generally one of my "back up" layers serves to sleep in.
Personally I'd skip the ball cap in winter if you have a beanie hat.
Someone mentioned lipbalm, if outside in less inclement weather my lips crack, its worth thinking about.
But one add in is with shortened daylight hours it's worth having a fluorescent/reflective item so you are visible on roads (even a strip of reflective tape works).
Thank you! I will leave the cotton tee but keep my third merino shirt!
Lip balm is a must have for me!
I do believe a part of my backpack is reflective. I will double check.
-Thank you!

I love my Uniqlo Compact Down jacket. Mine weighs 6.4 ounces in the large size, which has room underneath for layering. I wore it all last winter and this year when I go on walks here in Oregon, which has similar weather as Northern Spain. It doesn't have a collar but I wear a lightweight zip up merino wool jacket with stand up collar that I made underneath and a Buff around my neck, and it keeps me plenty warm. It also fits well underneath my rain coat.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I walked the Camino last month, it was gray, rainy and chilly.
haha, This is what I'm expecting. Sun would be nice if I'm lucky! I live somewhere gray, rainy, and chilly. I look forward to seeing new the sights!
If I were to do it again I would only pack the following:
This is most helpful! I really appreciate you taking the time! I'd love to hear about your trip sometime. You did it post covid and during winter, I've only seen a couple accounts of this yet.
I brought too many "just in case" things that I never used. Most things you can easily purchase there if you need something. I didn't get blisters and used the sock liner with wool socks technique. Just once I tied my boot too tight and it rubbed the top of my foot. I just put a bandaid/plaster on it to stop the friction and didn't tie that tight again!
This is a great reminder. I sometimes can feel certain I'll need something, but it's really "just in case"
here are my comments to your list:
I have read all of these and will again as I wrap up my final list! Thank you for taking the time and commenting. It really is most helpful. I am so very excited for this experience!
You can always leave things you aren't using behind. And, you can always purchase stuff there if you need something you forgot. Have a wonderful trip.
Buen Camino.
Thank you Buen Camino!

I love my Uniqlo Compact Down jacket. Mine weighs 6.4 ounces in the large size, which has room underneath for layering. I wore it all last winter and this year when I go on walks here in Oregon, which has similar weather as Northern Spain. It doesn't have a collar but I wear a lightweight zip up merino wool jacket with stand up collar that I made underneath and a Buff around my neck, and it keeps me plenty warm. It also fits well underneath my rain coat.
That looks great and stylish! I don't have time to get one but my nano puff would do the same job with a few extra ounces. hmmm maybe I'll change it out...

I agree. Generally I find that my interest in recreational reading diminishes to zero when I am on the Camino. Instead, I feel that I am living an adventure and don't feel the urge to read about someone else's. My phone gives me all the information reading I need, and I can always have a novel or two stored in case of an emergency reading need.
Thanks for these words of wisdom. I may find that you are completely correct during my Camino. However, the kindle is on my non-negotiable list as reading brings me comfort. I may find that on the Camino I don't read at all! I'm willing to take the risk. Reading on the phone isn't enjoyable to me. Usually I would just take a paperback but I'm currently reading the Lord of the Rings (for the first time!) and that would be a bit ridiculous in book form!
I really do appreciate you :)
I'll be saving weight in other areas!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You don’t need the shopping bag if you’re packing a day sack as well.

Whilst I appreciate ‘slow to dry’ and the various reasons for your excessive number of tops - it’s still too many. One of our moderators once recounted doing her laundry whilst dressed only in her waterproof jacket and over-trousers.

If you make it easy, you make it heavy. Set off in worn-out base layers. Wear them a day longer than you otherwise would then dispose of them. Thereafter, just manage - it’s quite liberating.

Thank you for the well thought out response! It's true that every gram saved is helpful so I will use your tips. I won't give up my shampoo; but using bronners for laundry is something I'm willing to try!

I will again reassess my clothing...as much as I don't want to give anything up it may be worth it in the end. I think the shops will be adequate as I will be passing through more then one big city. It is better to take less and buy it if I need it.
If you are really attached to your Lush shampoo as a product, an assistant at Lush put me on the idea of using a single bar of Lush soap for everything from shampoo to personal soap to laundry and even shaving cream! I have used it like this consistently on trips since and it works extremely well. No confusion - just reach for the same bar (or half) of soap for everything!

You don’t need the shopping bag if you’re packing a day sack as well.

Whilst I appreciate ‘slow to dry’ and the various reasons for your excessive number of tops - it’s still too many. One of our moderators once recounted doing her laundry whilst dressed only in her waterproof jacket and over-trousers.
Copy that. I'm dropping the day sack, one bra and two tops!
If you make it easy, you make it heavy. Set off in worn-out base layers. Wear them a day longer than you otherwise would then dispose of them. Thereafter, just manage - it’s quite liberating.
These are wise words and I aim to heed them! Thank you henrythedog!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you are really attached to your Lush shampoo as a product, an assistant at Lush put me on the idea of using a single bar of Lush soap for everything from shampoo to personal soap to laundry and even shaving cream! I have used it like this consistently on trips since and it works extremely well. No confusion - just reach for the same bar (or half) of soap for everything!
Cleaver and worth a shot! Thanks - I'm glad this works for you and giving me courage to try it out.

are you using a Lush liquid shampoo or bar? My hair is not as long but very thick. The lush shampoo and conditioner bars are amazingly good. No tangles.

are you using a Lush liquid shampoo or bar? My hair is not as long but very thick. The lush shampoo and conditioner bars are amazingly good. No tangles.
A shampoo bar. I've been using them pretty exclusively for years now! So great. I haven't found a conditioner bar I liked by them but I've only tried two and should give it another shot. I still need to use just a touch of conditioner for my dry ends to make brushing easier.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

The list as follows:

Wearing:
Warm leggings
Undies & bra
wool buff
lightweight beanie hat
altra lone peak shoes

Inside Bag:
Gossamer Gear Mariposa
3 undies
2 bras (slow to dry)
2 sock liners
2 darn tough socks
Light fleece sleep pant
Cotton t shirt for sleep
Arcteryx rain coat
light rain pants
wool buff #2
running gloves
sarong
shammy (as towel)

Toiletries:
lush shampoo
Dr bronners liquid soap
hairbrush
feminine products
pain killers
tissues and wetwipes
eyemask

Others:
sunglasses
journal
guidebook
kindle
headlamp
gearties
ultrasil backpack
shopping bag
pack rain cover
dirty girl gaiters
crocs
headphones
ballcap

View attachment 117030
If you have a smart phone you could ditch the kindle. I read books from an app on my phone which worked well for me.

Really enjoyed your list and thoughts. Others have made some good suggestions for doing double duty with clothing, to reduce weight.

I just wanted to chime in that in spite of the many encouragements to replace my kindle with my phone, I took the kindle and did not regret it. I am considering ditching the case though when I go back, even though it only adds a few ounces.

It's pretty impossible for a winter camino pack to weigh the magical 10% number. 16 lbs actually seems quite good to me.

€83,-
It's pretty impossible for a winter camino pack to weigh the magical 10% number. 16 lbs actually seems quite good to me.
It might be a good guide for walking in summer, but not for other seasons. Depending on how severe the weather conditions might be, you could expect the gear you need to carry to weigh anything up to 50% more than for a summer walk in Spain.
Nor is it necessary to try to hit a magical number.
Absolutely. And it could be foolish to try if it means you aren't carrying some essential.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed your list and thoughts. Others have made some good suggestions for doing double duty with clothing, to reduce weight.

I just wanted to chime in that in spite of the many encouragements to replace my kindle with my phone, I took the kindle and did not regret it. I am considering ditching the case though when I go back, even though it only adds a few ounces.

Yes thank you. I’m glad you chimed in! I did decide to take my kindle and have been verrrry happy that I did. The case is worth the weight for me too as I worry with it in the bag. In the end, I dropped the tee shirt and fleece pj pants. That was a good call but I kept most other layers. I have been happy with my choices thus far. In the afternoons when most of my water is gone my bag feels like nothing! I’ve picked up some more first aid supplies and emergency snack foods but nothing else. I am learning everyday! Most problems arise from feet and knee pain for me. Tomorrow onto ourense - hard to believe it is almost over already.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.