• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Would it be overkill to bring both a rain jacket and the Altus poncho in Oct/Nov?

LisaJS

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances planned Sep 2024
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning about 2 months for our journey. (Yes, we are really that slow! Also, we just retired and have no time pressures.) We know that we could encounter significant rain in Oct/early Nov.

I've read the great reviews of the Altus poncho and I'm thinking about getting one. I also have a Patagonia Torrentshell rain jacket and I'm wondering whether it would be overkill to bring both. The Torrentshell is also great for blocking wind, so maybe I would use it on some days that it isn't raining. Or maybe I would wear both together on a very rainy day?

My pack is the Osprey Sirrus and it has a built-in rain cover. So technically I don't need a poncho but I like the idea of keeping the pack straps dry (not to get into the whole rain jacket/pants vs poncho debate). We did a test hike from Porto to Tui on the CP last April. We didn't get a drop of rain, so I wasn't able to test how well the pack cover + rain jacket worked for me.

So to be concise with my question: Has anyone found it useful to bring a rain/wind blocking jacket in addition to the Altus poncho in the rainy season? (Note: My Torrentshell jacket weighs 12.4 oz. Also, I get cold very easily (numb fingers and toes).

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Earlier this year I took my Rab rain jacket (11.6oz) and my Altus with me on the Camino Portugues and the Frances from Sarria to Santiago. When it was windy and raining really heavily - which was some of the time on the Portugues and the vast majority of the time on the Frances - I was happy to have both on me tbh. Otherwise I wore the jacket until the day warmed up enough to take it off, and if it was drizzling vs hard rain - at which point on went the poncho. On the Frances last Sep/Oct, we had a heatwave for the first 2.5 weeks, but the jacket was useful for chilly pre-sunrise starts even then.

Last edited:
I have had both a rain coat and an Altus Poncho. As long as it isn't raining a lot, the jacket with pack cover is OK. Last winter though it rained on me almost every day for a long portion of the day. I was glad to have my Altus Poncho with a synthetic puffer jacket underneath. I won't go back to the rain jacket and will take my Altus from now on.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I found the combination of the Altus poncho and the Houdini Patagonia windshell to be very practical. The Houdini is super lightweight and great as a windbreaker when not needing a rain solution. But when it rains long and hard, the Houdini under the Altus kept any condensation from my clothing layer.
Thank you for this suggestion. I actually just bought a Houdini jacket from REI Outlet for half price. Tags are still on and I've been undecided whether or not to keep it. It looks so paper-thin, I wasn't sure how windproof and water-repellent (not waterproof, I know) it would be.

Thank you for this suggestion. I actually just bought a Houdini jacket from REI Outlet for half price. Tags are still on and I've been undecided whether or not to keep it. It looks so paper-thin, I wasn't sure how windproof and water-repellent (not waterproof, I know) it would be.
I was skeptical of the Houdini too. But I’ve come around. I consider it a high value piece of kit. That and a buff - two small things that deliver way more than you think they could or should.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning about 2 months for our journey. (Yes, we are really that slow! Also, we just retired and have no time pressures.) We know that we could encounter significant rain in Oct/early Nov.

I've read the great reviews of the Altus poncho and I'm thinking about getting one. I also have a Patagonia Torrentshell rain jacket and I'm wondering whether it would be overkill to bring both. The Torrentshell is also great for blocking wind, so maybe I would use it on some days that it isn't raining. Or maybe I would wear both together on a very rainy day?

My pack is the Osprey Sirrus and it has a built-in rain cover. So technically I don't need a poncho but I like the idea of keeping the pack straps dry (not to get into the whole rain jacket/pants vs poncho debate). We did a test hike from Porto to Tui on the CP last April. We didn't get a drop of rain, so I wasn't able to test how well the pack cover + rain jacket worked for me.

So to be concise with my question: Has anyone found it useful to bring a rain/wind blocking jacket in addition to the Altus poncho in the rainy season? (Note: My Torrentshell jacket weighs 12.4 oz. Also, I get cold very easily and have Raynaud's syndrome (numb fingers and toes due to reduced blood flow))
I carried a ‘wind shirt’ and a poncho. Poncho was for the rain and wind shirt - what it says on the tin, means it cuts the wind and ventilates well in the way that a waterproof jacket does not. In short it is much more comfortable to wear over any combination of clothing assuming it is not raining.
I wear wind shirts (jackets really) regularly when rain is not threatened. Basically they are a pretext shell.

I always take a rain jacket, trousers and a poncho no matter when I am walking.
I wish I had brought all three, as per MikeJS’s approach. I’m currently in last bit of the Camino Del Norte, with just a poncho. There have been several days of showers that the poncho was ideal for. However there has also been 3 days where it rained all day with strong winds and temperatures around 8 Celsius. The poncho just did not cut it, not so much because of the rain, but due to winds and low temperatures. October/November conditions could be similar.
I also wish I had brought my waterproof socks. The lovely forest trails and country paths became creeks and lakes.

I carried a ‘wind shirt’ and a poncho. Poncho was for the rain and wind shirt - what it says on the tin, means it cuts the wind and ventilates well in the way that a waterproof jacket does not. In short it is much more comfortable to wear over any combination of clothing assuming it is not raining.
I wear wind shirts (jackets really) regularly when rain is not threatened. Basically they are a pretext shell.
For the OP...we call a wind shirt a windbreaker, as far as I can tell.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

So to be concise with my question: Has anyone found it useful to bring a rain/wind blocking jacket in addition to the Altus poncho in the rainy season? (Note: My Torrentshell jacket weighs 12.4 oz. Also, I get cold very easily and have Raynaud's syndrome (numb fingers and toes due to reduced blood flow))
I just came back back from walking a Camino April 16-may 3. I had my rain jacket, poncho with me for exactly the same reasons. Also an Osprey Sirius pack. Glad I had both.
For the OP...we call a wind shirt a windbreaker, as far as I can tell.

I took a Patagonia Torentshell on the Norte/Primitivo in the fall of 2023. It works well almost all of the time. However, if you get a lot of continuous rain, even a Gortex jacket will give up the ghost. Last fall there was a lot of continuous rain and everyone's rain jackets gave up the ghost. Even the best jackets let a lot of water through. Some people had or bought ponchos and they worked quite well despite the fact that they are unwieldly, blowing all over the place. This is the first of four Caminos where I had this much rain and it was the first time the conditions affected my happiness with the walk. I'm not sure I would buy a poncho whenever I travel through Galicia again but I will always have a good rain jacket. I also have a good pack cover, from Decathlon, which did the job very well in all conditions.

As per answers above IMHO it is not an overkill. Both items do not represent a lot of weight but give you a variety of options what may work best in many given situations.
I walked May-June 2022 (not even Oct\Nov) and I had both jacket and poncho (not Altus but still...)
Most of the times I could do away with either if the need arose, however (and esp. in Galicia) I had enough days (usually in the mornings) when both were put on

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We just walked 3 weeks on the Camino del Norte. We had altus rain ponchos and no other rain gear. (New for us.) We ran into rain here and there and chilly weather and they worked beautifully.

We've always brought rain jackets in the past but we did not miss them at all. It's true that you look a little dorky if you want to just use them for windbreakers but with the savings in weight we felt it was worth leaving the jacket at home.

In the past our rain gear has consisted of rain jackets, pack covers, and rain skirts. That works pretty well for keeping you dry but it's a pain taking them on and off with a backpack on and the weather is constant on and off. The Altus were wonderful just to throw over everything.

I found the combination of the Altus poncho and the Houdini Patagonia windshell to be very practical. The Houdini is super lightweight and great as a windbreaker when not needing a rain solution. But when it rains long and hard, the Houdini under the Altus kept any condensation from my clothing layer.
I have also found the Patagonia Houdini and poncho to be a great combo ... lots of layering flexibility. The Houdini weighs very little (3.4 oz). They'll both be in my pack again when I head out in September.

So to be concise with my question: Has anyone found it useful to bring a rain/wind blocking jacket in addition to the Altus poncho in the rainy season? (Note: My Torrentshell jacket weighs 12.4 oz. Also, I get cold very easily (numb fingers and toes).
Short answer, bring both. I'm glad I have both right now on the Francis. Where jacket every night to keep warm from the wind.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was skeptical of the Houdini too. But I’ve come around. I consider it a high value piece of kit. That and a buff - two small things that deliver way more than you think they could or should.
Lisa for the uninitiated what is a Buff

A buff is a thin piece of stretchy fabric sewn into a tube that can be worn around the neck or neck and face.

A buff is a thin piece of stretchy fabric sewn into a tube that can be worn around the neck or neck and face.

Thank you now I have learnt something today

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I started early September with a poncho, which was enough for rain, and a heavy fleece. I bought a softshell rain jacket in Burgos or Leon, because of the cold/wind. So I think take both if the weight is OK for you.
We took 45 days SJPP to SdC so 2 months is a good time buffer, and if you finish early you can walk further or do something else in Spain or Portugal. We bused to Porto.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

You don’t need both - just bring the Altus.
My mom loved the Altus - she wore it as both wind jacket and rain jacket. It became her favorite piece of gear. We walked the CF from Pamplona to Santiago in March and April of this year and she had it on as we walked thru snow, rain, sleet and winds that nearly knocked us over. Buen camino.

I love my Houdini as a featherweight windbreaker plus useful in light rain and in the cold. It's definitely worth taking on the camino.

Thank you all for the helpful information and sharing what worked best for you! I'm leaning toward taking either my Houdini wind jacket or Torrentshell rain jacket in addition to the Altus poncho. I'll make a final decision when packing, taking weight into consideration. (The Houdini is 3.4 oz vs 12.5 oz for the Torrentshell.)

For Oct/Nov I would take the rain coat and rain pants. I did in 2015 and I was always dry and comfortable. It would rain days all day long. I also took waterproof socks and non goretex shoes which were always dry the next day (newspaper inside shoes and placed next to heating)

Earlier this year I took my Rab rain jacket (11.6oz) and my Altus with me on the Camino Portugues and the Frances from Sarria to Santiago. When it was windy and raining really heavily - which was some of the time on the Portugues and the vast majority of the time on the Frances - I was happy to have both on me tbh. Otherwise I wore the jacket until the day warmed up enough to take it off, and if it was drizzling vs hard rain - at which point on went the poncho. On the Frances last Sep/Oct, we had a heatwave for the first 2.5 weeks, but the jacket was useful for chilly pre-sunrise starts even then.
I have this exact combo currently while on the Camino Norte (April-May 2024) and I have been extremely grateful for both rain jacket and poncho. I also carry a light cover for my backpack and gaiters for feet/lower legs. It felt like overkill whilst packing (my pack is about 7.5 kg) but the few extra ounces have been worth their weight in gold!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have also found the Patagonia Houdini and poncho to be a great combo ... lots of layering flexibility. The Houdini weighs very little (3.4 oz). They'll both be in my pack again when I head out in September.
I also love my Houdini windbreaker. It's water resistant, not waterproof, so I used some waterproofing spray on it to (hopefully) increase the water resistance. For rain I have my homemade "Parcho" which is similar to the Altus, bit only weighs about 6.5 ounces. With my handsfree umbrella and waterproof socks I stay pretty dry.

Screenshot_20240511_203915_Photos.jpg

Just speaking to the Houdini, it is one of my favorite jackets. It is so packable...although it will initially be super wrinkled afterward - and provides a surprising break from the wind. It slips easily under any outer/warmer layer. I also have some Houdini pants but understand they are not available any longer. A definite thumbs up on the Houdini jacket.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...
I have an iPhone 14 and got an eSIM one month contract with Orange when I arrived in Spain a month ago. Right away there were problems. It did most basic things, but I couldn’t use most WiFi...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.