• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do you wish you had worried less about?

David Tallan

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
As we head into Camino season for a new batch of pilgrims, we are seeing the usual levels of anxiety that accompany first time pilgrims about to step into the unknown. So, to complement all of the usual "What do you wish you had packed?" or "What do I need to remember to do before setting out?" or "Which is really better, shoes or boots, water bottle or water bladder, rain jacket or poncho, hiking poles or no hiking poles, etc. etc. etc.?" posts, here is another question.

Looking back on your first Camino, what is the thing you most wish you had worried less about?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think I had done so much research on this Forum and asked so many questions.........
There was nothing left to worry about!

All my doubts were resolved, questions answered.

I think all the research paid off.

Not sure that I over worried about anything in particular.
Just everything in general. :rolleyes:

I did worry a lot about being able to make it, as I was injured before I went.
Should I have worried less about it? No. It was a challenge, all the way.

I think a degree of 'worry' is quite normal.
And you address it in whatever way, till it is less of a worry.

On the flip side, there were probably things I should have paid more attention to.

Learning a bit more Spanish.
Packing less.
Losing more body weight! #1

I've addressed all of these since.

Silly now, but I worried that people would think my feet were unattractive in my sandals since I don't wear nail polish on my toenails. I think I even made a post about.

I try to remember that now when I respond to others and help them feel more at ease.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Aha! David- great question. My pre-first camino worries -
Worry #1: How difficult (physically) will the path be? I don't think I can walk 25km /day (I can and I did).
Worry #2: How much do I need to "train"? What type of training? Am I doing enough? What if I'm not?
Worry #3: Transportation (how to get from wherever I am to where I want to go). How to access train plane, and bus schedules. Where, exactly, are the train and bus stations?
Worry #4: Weather (OMG I was right to be worried!!!!) What to expect regarding heat/cold/wind/storms, etc.
Worry #5: As a solo traveler - Will I meet others? Will I be accepted? What are the social norms?
Worry #6: As a female solo traveler: Will I be safe? If I dont feel safe who do I turn to? How do I contact the police? How responsive are they?
Worry #7: What if I become ill? How do I access healthcare in Spain? Do I need medical travel insurance?
In what order do I walk thru the villages? Why are the names of the villages/cities different depending upon the information source I use?
Where is "Pony"? "Queen's Bridge"? "Plum"? "Gares"? "The Arches"? "Sucker"? "Thorny Road"?
A concern but not really a worry - gear and clothing

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As we head into Camino season for a new batch of pilgrims, we are seeing the usual levels of anxiety that accompany first time pilgrims about to step into the unknown. So, to complement all of the usual "What do you wish you had packed?" or "What do I need to remember to do before setting out?" or "Which is really better, shoes or boots, water bottle or water bladder, rain jacket or poncho, hiking poles or no hiking poles, etc. etc. etc.?" posts, here is another question.

Looking back on your first Camino, what is the thing you most wish you had worried less about?
I don't think I was particularly worried about anything, I was excited to be off on an adventure. No real planning other than to arrive in France.
Once I reached Bayonne, it was a different story - the heat was so intense that I did wonder if I would cope with it.
I did - I became an early starter.

Sixteen days before I get on a plane headed 19,100km north! I'm a little worried about all sorts of little things, and I'm sure "once I get there" my worries will evaporate.

However, I'm glad I've done a little research. Knowing not to touch the fluffy caterpillars - kinda handy. I know that the cattle in Spain look like bulls, but are generally cows. I'm prepared, and now I probably won't die of fright! 😅

Just four main things for me. Thought of them over and over before I left.
1 .Rain jacket or poncho, went with rain jacket (lucky to have only 3 days of rain to walk in)
2. Sleeping bag or liner, went with liner (was fairly warm in all albergues I stayed in)
3. Rain pants or hike with shorts on in rain, went with shorts
4. Laundry, never washed laundry by hand and was worried about laundry still being wet the next day, which it was a few times.
Now the funny thing is I have the same worries this year about my choices. Will I get more rain, will it be colder and will I have wet laundry the next day. But hey, the first pilgrims meal with a glass of beer or wine helps relieve the anxiety.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I worried too much about my health in relation to the Camino. ( I had an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest and triple heart bypass a couple of years before my first Camino [SJPDP - Santiago]).
Bizarrely, it was my heart issues that helped me discover the CF - I no longer felt comfortable doing exercise which raised my pulse rate really high, so hiking felt a good fit for me.
As a result of health worries, I probably overthought the whole thing. Needless to say, I had a fantastic time, met some great people, and saw some great places. I sometimes wish I had gone that first time with pretty much no planning, and just sort of allowed myself grow into the Camino. . . now, that would have been an adventure.
Next month, I embark on my 5th Camino ( Camino Ingles + Santiago- Finisterre- Muxia loop).
I still don't use luggage-transfer (pretty much out of vanity, and to prove I still can push myself a little🙂).
I owe the Camino a lot.
See you on the trail 🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️

Sixteen days before I get on a plane headed 19,100km north! I'm a little worried about all sorts of little things, and I'm sure "once I get there" my worries will evaporate.

However, I'm glad I've done a little research. Knowing not to touch the fluffy caterpillars - kinda handy. I know that the cattle in Spain look like bulls, but are generally cows. I'm prepared, and now I probably won't die of fright! 😅
Only NINE days till I get on the plane headed 19,100 km north (& west)...
What fluffy caterpillars??!! 😳🤣

I've seen them on other people's videos. There's something toxic about them, but they're fluffy and I guess some people may be tempted to touch them.

You're a wee bit ahead of me, so if we don't cross paths, buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oak processionary caterpillars 🐛

Their little “hairs” are venomous and can cause skin irritations and trigger asthma attacks in people susceptible for that. If you see them (they are easy to spot even from a distance) avoid that area.

I don’t think that they are a big problem in Spain though because there, natural predators remain. They can be a huge pest in Northern Europe though.

Before I'd ever walked a Camino I worried most about sleeping in albergues and finding meals. So first time around I used a company that booked me hotels and evening meals, on the Camino Portuguese. I learnt a lot that trip and determined to have a go myself, carrying my pack and sleeping in at least 1 albergue! I chose the Camino Ingles and my first ever albergue was the muni in Neda. Walking there I met a nice solo Canadian pilgrim, also on her 2nd Camino and she had experienced albergues before. It made a huge difference to me to have someone to talk to who was laid back about the whole thing. I didn't sleep a wink...what a weird experience to be in a room with a whole load of strangers who all sleep!!! But it didn't put me off completely. I did sleep in a hotel the following night which calmed me down and let me catch up with my sleep. Then was right back to albergues for the rest of my Camino.

What I now feel is that albergues are such an important part of the Camino experience for me. I will take breaks in private rooms as necessary but they always feel somehow further away from the pilgrim path. I now know it takes me a several days before I can get much sleep in albergues, but eventually tiredness and the familiar routine kicks in and my sleep improves.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Though just to be even more annoying in Spain they are mostly associated with pine trees rather than oak.

There was a Spanish government warning that they were emerging earlier than usual this year.

Though just to be even more annoying in Spain they are mostly associated with pine trees rather than oak.

There was a Spanish government warning that they were emerging earlier than usual this year.
Sadly this confirms my worry that they are increasingly becoming an issue in Southern Europe because of climate change.

Do you know what the correct course of action is in Spain / Portugal if you encounter them? In Germany you are meant to take a GPS reading of the affected tree and contact local authorities.

Do you know what the correct course of action is in Spain / Portugal if you encounter them? In Germany you are meant to take a GPS reading of the affected tree and contact local authorities.
I do not know if there is a national plan for dealing with them. Individual local councils sometimes have dedicated email addresses for reporting.

Last year I walked Saint JeanPdP – Santiago in September. My concern was chafing (blisters), strain pain in my legs and whether I had packed right, even though I had been testing shoes and backpack for a month or two. Furthermore I was unsure if I would get accommodation and enough qualitysleep in dorms. I am well trained and have experience from hiking in the Norwegian mountains. The only problem I got was blisters, so this year I'm packing a pair of extra hiking boots to vary during the walk and slightly thicker woolstockings. Everything else went just fine no problems at all.. This year I will walk Porto – Santiago and then Primitivo during May, before I walk the French again in September. I have only booked the first night, I will spend the time I like, and take it as it comes. I enjoy being retired, out of business and fortunate enough to plan as little as possible. I you can and dare why not ?

Anything!

I could not worry less as I started my second Camino (Portuguese) last year.
All will sort out. The Camino provides!
That are the biggest learnings from my first Camino francés in 2019!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I should take my own advice; i have always told my kids worry about the things you can change; no point worrying about the things you cant!!!!
What did i worry most about on my first Camino; my flights being cancelled!
What do i worry about now for my May Camino; my flights being cancelled!
I think it's all about the hassle involved if it happens.
I know that what ever happens i will deal with it.
It's just a pain in the bum when it does :)

Last edited:

Their little “hairs” are venomous and can cause skin irritations and trigger asthma attacks in people susceptible for that. If you see them (they are easy to spot even from a distance) avoid that area.

I don’t think that they are a big problem in Spain though because there, natural predators remain. They can be a huge pest in Northern Europe though.

We had something like that in Australia... I learned to be careful of such things, 'cause in Oz, everything will kill you. 😁🤣

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Silly now, but I worried that people would think my feet were unattractive in my sandals since I don't wear nail polish on my toenails. I think I even made a post about.

I try to remember that now when I respond to others and help them feel more at ease.
I always recommend to new walkers to remove all polish from toes as I believe your toenails need the air as much as any other part of the body and having polish is a quicker way to lose a nail as nails can come quite brittle in shoes and socks 10hrs a day for 35 days. Just saying!

Great question, David! Probably best sums up ALL of the Camino prep issues!

Like others, I had prepped, read & watched videos, trained (physically), packed & unpacked my backpack so many times, I could do it in the dark (which was the point!), direct messaged pilgrims I found on this forum, re-visited my packing list sooooooo many times…and when I ran out of stuff to worry about, I’d start at the beginning again. When I arrived in SJpdP, I brought all of those worries with me. I should have left them at home.

What do I wish I had worried less about on the Camino? Worry…period.

Just step out the door, put one foot in front of the other, and let the (your) Camino unfold!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The only thing that really concerned me the first time were the logistics of getting to the "start line". Friends had told me that after that, everything would just unfold as it should. They were right.
Exactly ; until you get there your reliant on somebody else making decisions that could screw up your trip!

Last edited:
Just completed my first Camino, Sarria to SDC, things I over thought:
  1. Hiking Poles, carried them for 3 days before donating them.
  2. Headlamp and torch, wasn't really required.
  3. Water bladder 1ltr and 1ltr water bottle, never used the bottle.
  4. Change of clothes for the evening
  5. Footware for the evening, some sliders would have been better
Things I wish I had taken or considered:
  1. Really good fitting Poncho, I saw some really good ones.
    we walked 3 days in constant rain, my decathlon very cheap over trousers did not let in any water,
    my North Face waterproof coat as well was amazing,
    The Osprey cover was great.....but this is the big but, the side pockets on the hip belt gets wet and the straps get soaked eventually.
    Like I say I saw some really good fitting ponchos and some very cheap bad ones that flap around like a barn door in a gale force wind.
  2. Overshoes, after 3 days of consatnt rain the boots let in water on the last 10km, would have hated that to happen on the first day.
  3. Book ahead for some where to eat in the evening.

Buen Camino y hasta el proxima

I don't think I was particularly worried about anything, I was excited to be off on an adventure. No real planning other than to arrive in France.
Once I reached Bayonne, it was a different story - the heat was so intense that I did wonder if I would cope with it.
I did - I became an early starter.
What time of the year were you walking?

€46,-
Aha! David- great question. My pre-first camino worries -
Worry #1: How difficult (physically) will the path be? I don't think I can walk 25km /day (I can and I did).
Worry #2: How much do I need to "train"? What type of training? Am I doing enough? What if I'm not?
Worry #3: Transportation (how to get from wherever I am to where I want to go). How to access train plane, and bus schedules. Where, exactly, are the train and bus stations?
Worry #4: Weather (OMG I was right to be worried!!!!) What to expect regarding heat/cold/wind/storms, etc.
Worry #5: As a solo traveler - Will I meet others? Will I be accepted? What are the social norms?
Worry #6: As a female solo traveler: Will I be safe? If I dont feel safe who do I turn to? How do I contact the police? How responsive are they?
Worry #7: What if I become ill? How do I access healthcare in Spain? Do I need medical travel insurance?
In what order do I walk thru the villages? Why are the names of the villages/cities different depending upon the information source I use?
Where is "Pony"? "Queen's Bridge"? "Plum"? "Gares"? "The Arches"? "Sucker"? "Thorny Road"?
A concern but not really a worry - gear and clothing
this is great! but what was your final conclusion? which of these things were worth worrying about and which were not?

I worried too much about the ability to communicate in Spanish. That's not about wishing that I had studied less - I wish I had studied more. But once in Spain, you find a way to communicate, regardless of your level of Spanish fluency (or lack thereof), especially with the many kind people of Spain.

My first Camino was by tandem bike with Carol, my wife. I didn't worry or obsess about it, because by then we had made several long journeys in Europe that way.
When I decided to walk on my own from Le Puy, it wasn't just my first walking Camino but my first solo multi day hike. I was most worried that I would get lost, since I'm colour-blind and find maps difficult to read and can miss directional signs easily, if they don't stand out. I wondered how I would cope with just my own company, too.
I needn't have worried on either score. I have missed a few turns, and nothing worse than a few kms of extra walking has ever resulted - Google maps and GPS tracks have made that less of a problem. Once in Spain, the yellow arrows are obvious even to me!
And these days I look forward to those long hours of walking alone, with just my thoughts and the sounds of the countryside. Last year on the Via Francigena, I had weeks of walking alone on the French stages and I loved it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I always recommend to new walkers to remove all polish from toes as I believe your toenails need the air as much as any other part of the body and having polish is a quicker way to lose a nail as nails can come quite brittle in shoes and socks 10hrs a day for 35 days. Just saying!
10 hours walking a day! 😮. Wow, that's hardcore . . Respect 👍

never worried about anything really. Most of my worrying was the year before when my youngest son went on his. By the time he came home I knew there was nothing to worry about

I saw some in Pamplona on Tuesday.

€46,-
I haven’t read ALL the replies but I’m pretty sure nobody else had this worry: bras. I was obsessed with bras! I bought at least 5 different styles of bra before my Camino trying to find the perfect lightweight, quick dry, easy to take on/off, breathable bra. I did find a pretty good one. But no more bras for a while. My bra drawer overfloweth.

Hello! I am new to the forum. My husband and I walked the Frances in September 2021 and plan to do the same this coming September.

My biggest worry the first time around was the weight of my husband's backpack. His pack weighed about 24 lbs (10.88kgs). Turns out he carried the weight just fine throughout the walk.

What I will take with me on this next trip is the knowledge that worry is a fickle and unreliable companion.

Thank you for having me at the forum.

We can't remember having any pre-camino worries. I think for several reasons: We were older and so had had time to have learned how to handle things (at least some things). We had backpacked in wilderness areas so walking/hiking wasn't an issue and if you are comfortable handling things there doing it in a town would be so much easier. We were doing the camino together so we knew there was always help available. We had toured Spain before by car so we knew we would like walking there. My high school Spanish was still good enough for conversations.

On the camino however Peg became worried that she wouldn't be able to finish it after developing tendonitis right after León. We did but I had to keep giving her reports on daily progress.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most of the scary stuff I’d been reading on this site. Accommodation issues, blisters, bedbugs, distances, route issues, shoes, packweights, snoring and other albergue noises at night, medical facilities, went on and on. Left me fearful of a challenging ordeal which could threaten my very survival. It turned out just to be a long walk carrying a pack and much less of a challenge than the daily walks/ runs I’d been doing for years.

De Colores

Bogong

What do you wish you had worried less about?

The long-haul flight to get me there.
STILL do 🤣
EVERY camino
Since 2012
EVERY year
(ok, except for covid in 2020)
'Cos if I miss THAT flight I ain't doin' NO camino, 'cos it will cost a fr** fortune to buy another flight to get me there.
Going again this year . . .
Thinking I should camp out at the airport the day before . . . 🤣

I overthink, therefore I am…

I haven’t done the Camino yet (it is planned for August 2024), but, having plenty of worries about it, maybe this is a good place to list them, so I can go back when (if?) I complete it to see how it pans out.

I hate flying, so I’m taking a direct flight from Miami in order to avoid making connections. Just one take-off and landing is all I can handle.

Being that I’m in FL, I worry about a hurricane resulting in canceling my flight. Notice that I don’t worry about hurricanes themselves, as I’ve been through lots of them, no biggie for me, but cancelation? That would mess up my timetable, because the dates are not negotiable.

I worry about the whole process of clearing customs, and something going wrong. My international travel experience is very limited, and it’s been a while, so lots of things may have changed.

I fear being pickpocketed and losing my US passport, what do I do then? I would be upset if a thief steals my money, everything, but my US passport? Not an unfounded worry since a friend I was traveling with years ago was pickpocketed in the Madrid Metro of all places, within 20 minutes of arrival, fortunately, I found the wallet with only the money missing, the passport and everything else was there, but it was a very unpleasant experience. What if this happens in the middle of nowhere, like the Meseta, who can help me then?

I worry about the river crossing somewhere between Espinal and Zubiri, I’ve seen many videos of pilgrims walking on these huge blocks over the water, I fear my balance is not the greatest. Is there an alternate place to cross?

I fear strange, unfamiliar foods, definitely not a foodie. I’m fine with meat, potatoes, chicken, pork, but that’s about it. I’m allergic to seafood so that’s out for me.

I worry about my cPAP machine being damaged either from rain water, a fall, etc, how to fix it/repair it?

I worry about not being able to stick to my timeline. August 11 and September 11 are extremely important dates for me. I think I should be able to start my walk in August 11 in SJPDP (unless a hurricane or some other event cancels my flight, or some calamity when clearing customs). September 11 is an important day of mourning for me (not because of the American 9/11 tragedy, for because of a more personal loss. where I will be on Sept 11? Originally, I planned to be in SDC, but that may not be realistic, my alternate plan is to be at Cruz de Ferro in that date. What if I cant’ time it adequately? I want to know of any place of significance where I can do my mourning on September 11. If I make it to CDF in time, I hope to make it to Santiago by September 22, thus starting a new season in my life at the Pilgrims Mass. What options should I entertain if this doesn’t pan out?

I’m worried (just a little) about things from my life come back to haunt me.

I worry about how I’ll get back to Madrid to catch my flight back home.

I know these are all solvable issues, nothing here is impossible to get through, and there’s plenty of help here from experienced Peregrinos.

I’ll mention things I’m NOT worried about:

I don’t care if I wind up sleeping on the steps of some church because I couldnt’ find an albergue. I don’t care if I get soaked in rain. (I do worry about being caught in a thunderstorm). I certainly won’t enjoy being in the rain, but I don’t worry about it.

I don’t care if I get blisters, twist an ankle, get sunburned, etc. Certainly not pleasant, but I do feel more confident that I can deal with those things if/when they happen.

I don’t worry about overpacking, being that I can always mail excess crap to SDC for me to pick up at the end.

I’m not worried about the societal aspects of it. I’m fine with spending time alone, even feeling lonely, and although I can be shy, with the right crowd can socialize pretty well. I’m a native Spanish speaker, which helps a lot, and I can always help fellow Peregrinos if needed.

Well, that’s about it for now! I hope i remember this post in late September so I can check and see if despite my having known so many troubles, many of them didn’t actually happen (apologies to Mark Twain).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I am loving your cow story thank you. A few squeals from me (over the milking cows with horns!) I didn’t worry beforehand but when confronted I worried what to do if they charged at me!! Fortunately it ended well when they walked on by.

I haven’t yet done my Camino and I am continually telling myself not to worry about anything.

I figure that anything is solvable. If I have the wrong clothes, I am sure that I can buy anything I need somewhere along the way.

I look forward to being responsible for and accountable to only myself.

Like so many others, I have a small nagging worry about finding an albergue bed each night but have told myself that it will work out. Hopefully by the end of the Camino that worry will be gone and the lesson will carry forward into my everyday life.

I just reread the question so I guess I wish I had worried less about what other people thought was best for me. I wish I had listened to my gut and kept my booking at Orisson and NOT listened to the hospitalero in SJPP. .He very strongly suggested we cancel Orisson, telling us "You can walk all the way to Roncesvalles, it's EASY!" I cursed that guy's name all the way into Roncesvalles, as I cried with every painful step. I had shin splints and it nearly ruined my entire Camino.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Those don't look fluffy to me at all. But thanks for the tip - and the pic!

I wish I had listened to my gut and kept my booking at Orisson and NOT listened to the hospitalero in SJPP. .He very strongly suggested we cancel Orisson, telling us "You can walk all the way to Roncesvalles, it's EASY!" I cursed that guy's name all the way into Roncesvalles, as I cried with every painful step. I had shin splints and it nearly ruined my entire Camino.
I thought I was 'match-fit' when I started the Camino Frances back in 2016. . . Then the Pyrenees happened. . . it turned out having a bed booked at Orisson was the most important decision of the whole 6-week Camino.
( sort of blows the whole 'don't plan anything before you go' advice . . . )

Most of the scary stuff I’d been reading on this site. Accommodation issues, blisters, bedbugs, distances, route issues, shoes, packweights, snoring and other albergue noises at night, medical facilities, went on and on. Left me fearful of a challenging ordeal which could threaten my very survival. It turned out just to be a long walk carrying a pack and much less of a challenge than the daily walks/ runs I’d been doing for years.

De Colores

Bogong
That's why I started this thread, as a counterbalance. There are lots of threads telling people what to worry about. I figured there was room for one with the opposite message: You don't need to worry so much!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
this is great! but what was your final conclusion? which of these things were worth worrying about and which were not?
All were worth consideration, but none were worth worry or rumination. It all unfolded organically, without worry. Not always comfortable, mind you. But definitely a feeling of being in the river of life - with boulders and waterfalls and still pools and rapids and whiffles and fishes. I could go on but I'll spare you the deluge.....

<hugs>

That's a lot of fears/concerns, and many sound well-founded, for you.

There are cathedrals in almost every town, so wherever you are on Sept 11, hopefully you will find a peaceful place, probably a mass you could attend, or just a calm place to be and reflect.

You reminded me of one of my favorite stories from the radio show "This American Life":

Buen camino! It will (probably, mostly likely) go great and be life changing!

I walked my first five 12-15 day camino sections with friends from France, who did all the bookings... so when we separated on the 12th day last year (they all had other plans after that), I worried that with essentially no French and no Spanish, I would find myself on the streets or in the woods some nights as I continued on for 20 more days...

Everyone assured me "the Camino Provides"... and it *does*... almost always in the form of friendly, helpful, kind people who actually do the providing (mostly of assistance calling ahead to help book the next night during busy times)...

And also, although we pilgrims mostly get wrapped up in the simple world of The Way... the rest of the world is humming along right next door... so should you ever find yourself "stuck" in some seemingly dire way... it is very likely that someone living in the regular world can help out too -- a taxi, a bus, a car ride, a hotel, a stranger, a tourist bureau, a pilgrim, a hostel keeper... especially the latter... Modern Spain (France, Portugal, etc.) are just a few km in any direction, generally...

One night I had planned to go only about 22km but most of my fellow pelerins were going more like 38km, to a fairly large town... and I found myself happy to keep walking, but in a part of the path that had no accommodations between... I whatsapp'd some of my friends (who were already at their destinations), and they asked their various hostel hosts, who called around and found me a sort of emergency stay... who was so gracious to house me even though I didn't arrive until midnight... that night was a chain of about 5 people adding up to a perfectly good night's sleep and a great breakfast conversation as the sole pilgrim staying in a place that hadn't planned to be open...

"Luck" like that happen often, on the Camino...

Ah, but THAT's a thing new pilgrims should know -- the hostel keepers/volunteers know each other, they know the route, the know the conditions, and they know the worries we have... they are a great resource!

I honestly wish that I'd worried a bit more about my footwear. I bought a pair of low ankle boots, thought I'd broken them in enough, but by Puente la Reina, my heels looked like raw meat. Thankfully, there was Caminoteca back in Pamplona (which, unbelievably, is open on Sunday!!) and I switched to a pair of Salomon trainers and never looked back. Left my boots in the bin in front of the store. Other than that - I loved that I had no worries!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The ascent profile of O Cebreiro looked terrifyingly steep to me, so I worried for a couple of weeks about my ability to climb the hill. In the end, it was fine and I loved it.
What should you worry about? I never realised how addictive Camino walking can be. In three weeks, I’ll be starting my 9th Camino, the Camino de Levante.

Last edited:
I worried too much about my health in relation to the Camino. ( I had an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest and triple heart bypass a couple of years before my first Camino [SJPDP - Santiago]).
Bizarrely, it was my heart issues that helped me discover the CF - I no longer felt comfortable doing exercise which raised my pulse rate really high, so hiking felt a good fit for me.
As a result of health worries, I probably overthought the whole thing. Needless to say, I had a fantastic time, met some great people, and saw some great places. I sometimes wish I had gone that first time with pretty much no planning, and just sort of allowed myself grow into the Camino. . . now, that would have been an adventure.
Next month, I embark on my 5th Camino ( Camino Ingles + Santiago- Finisterre- Muxia loop).
I still don't use luggage-transfer (pretty much out of vanity, and to prove I still can push myself a little🙂).
I owe the Camino a lot.
See you on the trail 🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️
Did this in October, it is a great Camino! Buen Camino🥾

I should have just worried less. Spain and France are safe countries, the routes are mostly well trodden and not hyper difficult, the Caminos pass through enough villages and towns that you're not going to starve or die of exposure and you can buy most things you need (e.g. if you've forgotten or lost something). Having a plan of stages helps, but being prepared to be flexible once you start is important e.g. if the weather gets really bad, stop early for the night, or even get a lift to your destination...

There’s nothing I wish I had worried less about. Maybe I’m weird, but I am not a worrier.

There’s one thing I wish I had worried more about: water. Several times I was a dehydrated enough to be somewhat ill by the time I got “back to civilization” from side trips. Just kept forgetting to fill my bottle; sometimes forgetting to take it.

Ah, but THAT's a thing new pilgrims should know -- the hostel keepers/volunteers know each other, they know the route, the know the conditions, and they know the worries we have... they are a great resource!
Yep. Many’s the time when we were full that we called other towns for lodging and/or transportation when we were full and it was getting late.

€46,-
I haven’t read ALL the replies but I’m pretty sure nobody else had this worry: bras. I was obsessed with bras! I bought at least 5 different styles of bra before my Camino trying to find the perfect lightweight, quick dry, easy to take on/off, breathable bra. I did find a pretty good one. But no more bras for a while. My bra drawer overfloweth.
And? Surely you're not going to leave us without telling us the name of this unicorn bra...?

During my earliest trips to Spain I mostly worried about any encounter with the Guardia Civil. In later visits my biggest worry was the time constraints I faced. Getting out of the woods and back on the tree in time was always a bit of a bugger. On Camino my only worry lately has been being recognized. Luckily, tall, blonde, svelte as I am I’m seldom confused with my avatar

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the space to reflect - on my first CF (SJPD to Santiago) in Sept/Oct 2023 as it will help me keep the following in mind as I am planning to start my 2nd Camino coastal Portuguese this Spring! Five main things I was curious about…in as a solo 64yr old pilgrim
1) Would I get lost - my experience only a few times I had to backtrack using the app as I missed a sign or followed a pilgrim in front who veered off!
2) Bathrooms are they plentiful?
Yes! As an outdoors person I know how to leave no trace if nature calls and had plastic bags at the ready - but only needed them 2ce!
3) Would they keep my booking - yes had one Albergue that double booked but they found me another place, I did have to get in the habit confirming the day before if they asked me to!
4) Would I feel out of place as an older person in a sea of young people? Answer no - was interesting to me that in my observation over half were around my age. One of the beauties of the Camino is the opportunity to mix and have conversations that were meaningful with folks from all over and all ages. This connection I value and honour
5) Would I have enough Spanish? As was doing duo lingo Well no I did not however it was not a barrier! Thank goodness for Google translate! I was/am in awe of my walking buddies who could have meaningful conversations in Spanish w locals or Spanish Pilgrims. 😊 The blessing received in Spanish was felt - even if I did not have the translation. Learning more languages in on my bucket list for this 🇨🇦pilgrim!

I wish I had worried less about time....I was so concerned with making sure I walked X amount of miles per day, I always felt I was in a hurry to keep on schedule. Looking back now I wish I had slowed down a bit, totally enjoyed the moment and know if I had fallen behind I could have easily jumped on the next taxi/bus/train to catch up to my schedule.

I haven’t done the Camino yet (it is planned for August 2024), but, having plenty of worries about it, maybe this is a good place to list them, so I can go back when (if?) I complete it to see how it pans out.

I hate flying, so I’m taking a direct flight from Miami in order to avoid making connections. Just one take-off and landing is all I can handle.

Being that I’m in FL, I worry about a hurricane resulting in canceling my flight. Notice that I don’t worry about hurricanes themselves, as I’ve been through lots of them, no biggie for me, but cancelation? That would mess up my timetable, because the dates are not negotiable.

I worry about the whole process of clearing customs, and something going wrong. My international travel experience is very limited, and it’s been a while, so lots of things may have changed.

I fear being pickpocketed and losing my US passport, what do I do then? I would be upset if a thief steals my money, everything, but my US passport? Not an unfounded worry since a friend I was traveling with years ago was pickpocketed in the Madrid Metro of all places, within 20 minutes of arrival, fortunately, I found the wallet with only the money missing, the passport and everything else was there, but it was a very unpleasant experience. What if this happens in the middle of nowhere, like the Meseta, who can help me then?

I worry about the river crossing somewhere between Espinal and Zubiri, I’ve seen many videos of pilgrims walking on these huge blocks over the water, I fear my balance is not the greatest. Is there an alternate place to cross?

I fear strange, unfamiliar foods, definitely not a foodie. I’m fine with meat, potatoes, chicken, pork, but that’s about it. I’m allergic to seafood so that’s out for me.

I worry about my cPAP machine being damaged either from rain water, a fall, etc, how to fix it/repair it?

I worry about not being able to stick to my timeline. August 11 and September 11 are extremely important dates for me. I think I should be able to start my walk in August 11 in SJPDP (unless a hurricane or some other event cancels my flight, or some calamity when clearing customs). September 11 is an important day of mourning for me (not because of the American 9/11 tragedy, for because of a more personal loss. where I will be on Sept 11? Originally, I planned to be in SDC, but that may not be realistic, my alternate plan is to be at Cruz de Ferro in that date. What if I cant’ time it adequately? I want to know of any place of significance where I can do my mourning on September 11. If I make it to CDF in time, I hope to make it to Santiago by September 22, thus starting a new season in my life at the Pilgrims Mass. What options should I entertain if this doesn’t pan out?

I’m worried (just a little) about things from my life come back to haunt me.

I worry about how I’ll get back to Madrid to catch my flight back home.

I know these are all solvable issues, nothing here is impossible to get through, and there’s plenty of help here from experienced Peregrinos.

I’ll mention things I’m NOT worried about:

I don’t care if I wind up sleeping on the steps of some church because I couldnt’ find an albergue. I don’t care if I get soaked in rain. (I do worry about being caught in a thunderstorm). I certainly won’t enjoy being in the rain, but I don’t worry about it.

I don’t care if I get blisters, twist an ankle, get sunburned, etc. Certainly not pleasant, but I do feel more confident that I can deal with those things if/when they happen.

I don’t worry about overpacking, being that I can always mail excess crap to SDC for me to pick up at the end.

I’m not worried about the societal aspects of it. I’m fine with spending time alone, even feeling lonely, and although I can be shy, with the right crowd can socialize pretty well. I’m a native Spanish speaker, which helps a lot, and I can always help fellow Peregrinos if needed.

Well, that’s about it for now! I hope i remember this post in late September so I can check and see if despite my having known so many troubles, many of them didn’t actually happen (apologies to Mark Twain).
Buen Camino HBS60! I did get my passport pickpocketed once (not on the Camino) so I have carried it in a tiny, light, soft cloth security pouch under my shirt, which gave me less to worry about. Probably sweaty in hot weather but last week Sarria-SdC have been cool/mild.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back