• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2nd Camino advice please?

Griffin57

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
October 2013 StJPdP to Burgos
September 2014 Burgos to SdC
Setember 2015 StJPdP to Burgos
A question for 'repeat offenders' :rolleyes: (tongue firmly in cheek) Did you automatically gravitate to places and or Albergues that you had stayed in before? Or did you deliberately set out to seek new towns/villages/accommodations? Any regrets? Advice?
I will be walking from St Jean Pied de Port to Burgos again this year and am undecided except for Granon and maybe Casa de Magica in Villatuerta. I know this camino will be completely different, but should I actively seek to make it so and visit places I didn't before? Honestly interested in the pro's and cons and value all opinions.
Sarah

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My name is Linda and I'm a repeat offender (with a certain penchant for Galicia specifically). I have walked the Astorga-Santiago stretch 3 times now, and each time I have ended up in new places, sometimes on purpose and sometimes by chance. I have made an effort to eat or sleep in some of the same places each time, like having an empanada at Pilar's El Llar on the first morning out of Astorga, or eating at Complexo Xacobeo in Triacastela because of the beef ribs and the '136 kms left' reminder on the bill :D and I would definitely stop or stay at En El Camino in Boadilla again! I think you just have to do what you did the first time - start where you start, stop where you need to or fancy, let circumstance and camino friends direct you. Don't overthink or overplan it. Just listen to your body and go!

Thank you Linda, it's the waiting to go that's the problem! I want to be there making these decisions now! I'm just so excited to be going again!
The camino did teach me patience during my last two trips, but i'm just a wonderin' out loud I guess? The Forum is such a great place to glean such valuable nuggets of information. Thanks for your tips. :)
Sarah

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Read what many camino veterans posted about their second (and later) times on the camino in this earlier Forum thread.

Personally speaking every day lived is a new day and each camino is unique. Nothing is ever the same, but always special.

"The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them. You have to start the journey anew. Always"
Jose Saramago, A Journey to Portugal

Carpe Diem!

Margaret Meredith

biarritzdon I would happily do that errand for you as a thank you for all your great posts, but sadly I'm not going that far this time :(

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you Margaret, off to read the thread now. :) And I always seize the day, but I wish I could switch off the instinctive, over planning part of my brain that wants to be in charge till I actually get there. Once on camino I go with the flow.
Thanks for the link.
Sarah

A question for 'repeat offenders' :rolleyes: (tongue firmly in cheek) Did you automatically gravitate to places and or Albergues that you had stayed in before? Or did you deliberately set out to seek new towns/villages/accommodations? Any regrets? Advice?
I will be walking from St Jean Pied de Port to Burgos again this year and am undecided except for Granon and maybe Casa de Magica in Villatuerta. I know this camino will be completely different, but should I actively seek to make it so and visit places I didn't before? Honestly interested in the pro's and cons and value all opinions.
Sarah

A mixture of both really, for me. I love to visit old Camino friends and I do love to explore new places. Granon certainly is a place where I will stay always two nights (I do have village connections there, that makes this easier). Casa de magica was closed when I last walked by, so it is on my list of places to stay for my next Camino. As are Zabilka (spelling?) and Trinidad de Arre (having not been/stayed there in ages). Also growing is my list of places / albergues I do NOT want to revisit in the near future. Buen Camino! SY

Last edited:
Hi SY
This is exactly,the type of response I was hoping for. :) I don't suppose you would be willing to share the "Not revisiting places?"
I am really keen to explore but will I kick myself if I choose a different option and its not as good as my first time? I guess I will just have to keep going back till I get it exactly right!!! Ha, sorry being ironic a bit here, I know that there can never be perfection and I trust the Camino to provide exactly what I need, not necessarily what I want! :rolleyes:
Sarah

P.S. Totally in awe of your epic journey last year!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On my second Camino I was walking with a mini Camino family for most of the way, so decisions were shared. It was their first time so I'd certainly recommend somewhere I'd really enjoyed and thought that they would too, but was also happy to go with the flow. The same applied to alternative routes etc. I do know that even when I stayed in the same town as before we often stayed in a different place. However that was partly because we mixed albergues with private rooms.

... I don't suppose you would be willing to share the "Not revisiting places?"...

No, sorry, because such things are so depending on personal preferences / mood of the day ect that it would be unfair to the respective alberque owner, f.e., to make them public. Also things can change, other owner/new hospitalero ect. Buen Camino! SY

A mixture of both really, for me. I love to visit old Camino friends and I do love to explore new places. Granon certainly is a place where I will stay always two nights (I do have village connections there, that makes this easier). Casa de magica was closed when I last walked by, so it is on my list of places to stay for my next Camino. As are Zabilka (spelling?) and Trinidad de Arre (having not been/stayed there in ages). Also growing is my list of places / albergues I do NOT want to revisit in the near future. Buen Camino! SY

Grañon has now indeed two magical albergues. The older one and la Casa De las Sonrisas. There is indeed something very special in this village.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On my second Camino I was walking with a mini Camino family for most of the way, so decisions were shared. It was their first time so I'd certainly recommend somewhere I'd really enjoyed and thought that they would too, but was also happy to go with the flow. The same applied to alternative routes etc. I do know that even when I stayed in the same town as before we often stayed in a different place. However that was partly because we mixed albergues with private rooms.

This too is was I'm hoping for, my first time was with a partner who often had a preference for a private room. I'm looking forward to going with my own insincts and those of others that I meet. I fully expect every camino to be different and wonderful.

No, sorry, because such things are so depending on personal preferences / mood of the day ect that it would be unfair to the respective alberque owner, f.e., to make them public. Also things can change, other owner/new hospitalero ect. Buen Camino! SY

I completely understand. I'm always looking for another Granon, it's kind of my 'Gold standard' albergue. :D

Grañon has now indeed two magical albergues. The older one and la Casa De las Sonrisas. There is indeed something very special in this village.
I will always stay in Granon, no matter how many caminos I do. I look forward to sampling the the newer one too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will always stay in Granon, no matter how many caminos I do. I look forward to sampling the the newer one too.

Don't be too dissapointed seeing the Casa de las sonrisas closed time to time. Th owner expressed his feelings/ideas about certain " turigrinos "and he closed up for some days lately to think it all through.

On my second Camino Frances I had the intention to stop in different villages most of the time along with repeat stays in albergues which had given me special memories. The two things can become mutually exclusive though. Of course it changed when I had to adapt to the desires of my new Camino families. However, whilst having a similar intention this time I will be walking much shorter distances to nurse an injury so I expect I will have even more of the same pleasures! :) Camino rule 1 - go with the flow!

The albuerge in Tosantos was also a special place for me.
Buen Camino
Maura

Ooo quick check the map! Where is Tosantos again? Mmmm yes could be next stop after Granon? I did like the albergue at Villafranca though, the food in the Hotel San Abad was great and I got a flat bed without a bunk, but will look into Tosantos.
Thanks Maura this is just the kind of advice I'm after
Sarah

Don't be too dissapointed seeing the Casa de las sonrisas closed time to time. Th owner expressed his feelings/ideas about certain " turigrinos "and he closed up for some days lately to think it all through.

Oh no,there should be an unlike button here too do you think?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On my second Camino Frances I had the intention to stop in different villages most of the time along with repeat stays in albergues which had given me special memories. The two things can become mutually exclusive though. Of course it changed when I had to adapt to the desires of my new Camino families. However, whilst having a similar intention this time I will be walking much shorter distances to nurse an injury so I expect I will have even more of the same pleasures! :) Camino rule 1 - go with the flow!
Yep I love the flow! Will flow when I get there just musing and passing the (quick - checks countdown app!) 124 days till I go!
Looking forward to meeting a new camino family maybe most of all. Hope your injury gets better soon Al. :(

But I have a strong feeling that all shall be ok with la Casa...Sometimes people need some space and time to think it all through....
And I second that Tosantos is a beautiful haven on the Camino Frances.

Ok Tosantos it is then! Unless the flow changes my plans of course? :rolleyes:

Thanks Griffin. The real problem at the moment are that my mother recovers enough to give me confidence she will be OK without me and that there is a rail strike planned which might prevent me getting to the airport. But hey, I am sure both will resolve themselves if big G thinks I should go. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Griffin. The real problem at the moment are that my mother recovers enough to give me confidence she will be OK without me and that there is a rail strike planned which might prevent me getting to the airport. But hey, I am sure both will resolve themselves if big G thinks I should go. :)
You're exactly right Al, things have a way of working out just as they should. I didn't think I could go at all this year and was suffering the pangs of withdrawal, but I realised I could do what I did the first time and go for 2 weeks. When are you hoping to go? When is this rail strike?
Sarah

Strike is Spring Bank Holiday Monday 17:00 for 24 hours. My flight from Liverpool is on the Tuesday afternoon. Planning to see how Mom is on the Monday so I guess I could consider an airport hotel Monday night, but some friends and my daughter want me to spend a farewell Monday with them. Still not much of a problem compared to the trials of many around the world is it Sarah?

I guess your mum is a big part of your world and she will be on your mind a lot because you are such a lovely man.
I'm a nurse Al and its hard when some families don't want to take care of their families :(.
ooops a bit off topic sorry. I'm sure you will have another wonderful camino let your troubles go and enjoy each and every moment. x :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks. She seems a little better each day so fingers crossed she returns to being an active (relatively) 90 year old! For a while there I had a taste of the Carer future I have not been looking forward too for the last 10 years since my father died.

We are all going to get to 90 if we are lucky enough? I was admitting a 99 year old for surgery not so long ago and the doctor's could have sworn she was about 20 years younger! Age is just a number, though I must admit I'm not too keen on mine! I had the very great honour of walking with 2 lovely NZ ladies aged 78 and 79 last year.
I'm sure your Mom wishes you well on your travels.
Buen Camino - Al the Optimist

I completely understand. I'm always looking for another Granon, it's kind of my 'Gold standard' albergue. :D

Also nice and in a similar spirit, the albergue in Arres on the Somport route / Camino Aragones. My new favorite one from last years walk was http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-leo Yes, it is a commercial one, but the people that run it are so kind, it is incredible. Also the renovated house is absolutely stunning! SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Also nice and in a similar spirit, the albergue in Arres on the Somport route / Camino Aragones. My new favorite one from last years walk was http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-leo Yes, it is a commercial one, but the people that run it are so kind, it is incredible. Also the renovated house is absolutely stunning! SY
Ooo that's going on my 'bucket list' right now! So many caminos ....... so little time........!;):D:D;)

Sarah
My second Camino was entirely different than my first. It was spring not fall. With my son not my wife. I always took the 'other' route in the guide. But still it seemed to me that there are no two days the same on the Camino. Enjoy a whole new experience.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My second Camino was entirely different than my first. It was spring not fall. With my son not my wife. I always took the 'other' route in the guide. But still it seemed to me that there are no two days the same on the Camino. Enjoy a whole new experience.
Thank you Paul, happy to stretch out of my comfort zone.
Wish I could remember where the quote comes from that says ' you can never step in the same river twice'.
I guess we should have our own quote? "You can never walk the same camino twice"?
Sarah

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back