• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Few Hours in Madrid ...

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
For my next Camino I head back home by flying SdC to Madrid, change flights, then back to Australia.
As always in these times, my flight bookings have been changed a couple of times.

So rather than be frustrated that my carefully planed travel arrangements have been screwed up.........
I see it is an an opportunity.
Or a 'sign' that there is a silver lining to this if I look.

I'm more of a glass half full type..... ;)

So the plan was to fly into Madrid, with a 3-4 hour 'buffer' before departing to Australia.
Just in case of flight delays or other hiccups.

Both flights have been subjected to change. And I'm sure more will come.

But at this stage I now land in Madrid at 7 pm on a Thursday.
And have to check in for my homeward flight by midday Friday. (the next day)

I guess I could stay at an Airport Hotel and catch up on rest.

But that seems such a waste of an opportunity to see or do something in Madrid.
I've been there before and done the sightseeing stuff.
And I'm using up all the available time I have on the Camino, so don't really want to stay longer in Madrid for example.

But if you had a few hours in Madrid, what would you do?

I suppose I can be in the City and checked in to a Hotel by 9pm.
And I'll need to be on my way to the airport about 11 am the next day.

Any ideas?

A great dinner, or something on Thursday night?
A breakfast not to be missed on Friday morning.
A brief walk somewhere?
Something cool to see early morning?

An old mentor of mine loved the phrase "You can sleep next month" :)
I tend to think like that too.
I'll have 22 hours on the plane to Australia to sleep :rolleyes:

I just noticed San Miguel market is open till midnight :)
But doesn't open in the morning till 10 am

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After walking in October 2019, I booked a hotel in the town of Barajas. Totally by coincidence, that afternoon/evening there was a Procesión del Señor de los Milagros de Barajas. It was a procession with all the pomp and drama of Semana Santa, apparently a Peruvian tradition, and it was a nice change from the "airport hotel" mentality I had expected to find.

So, it might be interesting to see what events there might be in Barajas that night.

Also look at what is happening in Madrid on your date. Maybe that will give you a simple focus of a single activity or place to go.

After walking in October 2019, I booked a hotel in the town of Barajas. Totally by coincidence, that afternoon/evening there was a Procesión del Señor de los Milagros de Barajas. It was a procession with all the pomp and drama of Semana Santa, apparently a Peruvian tradition, and it was a nice change from the "airport hotel" mentality I had expected to find.

So, it might be interesting to see what events there might be in Barajas that night.

Also look at what is happening in Madrid on your date.
Maybe that will give you a simple focus of a single activity or place to go.

Great idea! Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One of the best things we did in Barcelona was a spur-of-the-moment visit to a concert, in the wonderful Palau de la Musica Catalona - mainly because we wanted to see the inside of this beautiful building and buying a ticket was the only way to do it in the time we had. It was a fabulous experience, followed by churros con chocolate at midnight - with all the other patrons.

For Madrid, I'd look for something similar - there is always music somewhere. If you know the date of your arrival you could see what is on at the Opera House (Teatro Real).

One of my favourite areas is Plaza Santa Ana, in the Barrio de las Letras (Huertas). It has a lively nightlife with a great selection of restaurants and cafes.

Another thought, open up to 11:30 at night, there is the wonderful Chocolateria San Gines, where you can get chocolate and churros as Madrilenos have been doing since 1894.

Last edited:
Hmmm, Robo - you might be a bit tight on time - maybe not worth the stress …

How about settling for a walk in the neighbourhood around your airport hotel, followed by dinner in the hotel restaurant, and then “go for gold” at the breakfast buffet, in the hope your hotel has said breakfast buffet. There’s gonna be 24 hours of airline food ahead!!! 😉🛫🍲

Your hotel might even have a pool, if that appeals.

Buen Camino!

Cheers - Jenny

PS - any update on the shoe choice?

Hmmm, Robo - you might be a bit tight on time - maybe not worth the stress …

How about settling for a walk in the neighbourhood around your airport hotel, followed by dinner in the hotel restaurant, and then “go for gold” at the breakfast buffet, in the hope your hotel has said breakfast buffet. There’s gonna be 24 hours of airline food ahead!!! 😉🛫🍲

Your hotel might even have a pool, if that appeals.

Buen Camino!

Cheers - Jenny

PS - any update on the shoe choice?

It might end up being an Airport Hotel @JennyH94 . Depending on how my feet / legs survive. :oops:

Shoe choice is going nowhere really.
Of those I have, Hoka Stinson feel the best.
Tried my old Salomon boots yesterday. They feel best of all! But just too heavy. My knees were hurting after only a couple of kms.

I'll try a few more in the next couple of weeks, but fast coming to the conclusion that trail runners are just too flimsy for me. Have tried lots on, but with my foot issues I need more cushioning and support.

Going to try some lightweight Salomon boots.
Otherwise I'll just stick with my current Hoka Stinsons I think.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
When I was in Madrid I made a point of going to the Museo Sofia Reina and seeing Picasso's Guernica Painting. Google it
It was a Sunday when I arrived in Madrid before my second Camino with my friend. We got there in the morning, so went walking around a bit and came across Reina Sofia and discovered that we were just in time for the free admission hours! I didn't even know that Guernica was there and was surprised by that too. I'd like to go back and spend more (un jet lagged) time with it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I see the Museum has 4 buildings. Is Guernica in the Sabatini Building?
The main museum venue ( not far from the Atocha train station) includes the sabatini building- they are all the same complex ( I think!) but I just went in the main entrance and then the route to Guernica is clearly marked. A powerful piece that is important to see. Especially after the Norte Camino. Do book tickets in advance if possible. You could visit in the morning and then easily hop on a train to the airport for midday check in. Have some good tapas the evening before!

My husband ate at a great Basque place directly behind the Marriott Convention Center which is near the airport and has a shuttle. Asador, 7 de Juli was the name I think. Call for a reservation if you go.

Sophia Reina is also a good choice downtown, but be sure to check opening/closing times on your date. Phil tried to go once and it was closing just as he arrived. We bought tickets online in advance last summer and so knew the hours would be ok.

There is also a wonderful botanical garden downtown near Atocha. Take the Yellow airport shuttle to and from the airport to Atocha for 6 Euros.

Phil went to Spanish school for a week in Madrid in 2021 and just enjoyed sitting at a cafe watching people. Each neighborhood is different just as in any big city.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Interesting that people focus on the Reina Sofia. I think of the 3 major art gallery museums in Madrid the Reina Sofia is perhaps the least interesting, except for Guernica. And, if they are on display, some of the works by Salvador Dali.

I much prefer the Prado and the Thysen-Bornemisra. I think they are both "must see before I die". The Prado is a jewel of Spanish art history, all the greats are there, with (for me) some unsurpassed works - I think of the Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch, Las Meninas by Velazquez, but with outstanding works by El Greco, Titian, Rubens, and on and on. Like the Louve it can be a bit overwhelming.

The best art gallery, for me, is the Thysen-Bornemisra. It is so well set out and so accessible. A superb collection of art, from earliest times to the 20th century. Marvellous collection of impressionists. The paintings were acquired by a wealthy family who bought only the very best examples of different styles and artists. There is not one item in that gallery that I could disregard. I've visited this museum three or four times now, and every time I find something new with which to fall in love.

I don't think the timeframe @Robo has would allow him to visit any of these! But if you do get the chance to spend some days in Madrid, I would think it a shame to miss the Prado or the Thysen in favour of the Reina Sofia.

@Robo if you do want to go into town, right on Plaza Ana is the excellent Hotel Me Reina Victoria by Melia. Get a balcony room if you have won the lottery. Not cheap, and a bed is only a bed. I've never stayed there (too poor) but I've looked enviously at it a few times when I was out late.

Thanks @Kanga I've been to Madrid before (for a few days) and will likely visit again sometime.
This time it literally is just a few hours.
So looking for a time filler, rather than hanging out at an Airport Hotel.
Seeing Guernica sounds like it would be a very worthwhile couple of hours.......

For me - after walking through the Basque Country and having the privilege of having my eyes opened during a powerful morning at the peace museum in Guernica - my few hours in Madrid were used only to visit that one painting in the Reine Sofia and it was time well spent ( I have been extremely lucky to have received an “after hours private tour of the Prado which I agree @Kanga is the most amazing place in the world!). @Robo i really enjoyed your YouTube during lockdown- there is another channel I watch alongside yours - Spain revealed - lots of good restaurant recommendations on there for Madrid

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For me - after walking through the Basque Country and having the privilege of having my eyes opened during a powerful morning at the peace museum in Guernica - my few hours in Madrid were used only to visit that one painting in the Reine Sofia and it was time well spent ( I have been extremely lucky to have received an “after hours private tour of the Prado which I agree @Kanga is the most amazing place in the world!). @Robo i really enjoyed your YouTube during lockdown- there is another channel I watch alongside yours - Spain revealed - lots of good restaurant recommendations on there for Madrid

Found this place on the first video!! (Spain Revealed)

Agree that both the Prado and the Thysen are excellent, but if you have a short time the exhibit on Guernica and its development are a great option. I learned a lot when we visited. Loved the room that talked about how it was "constructed" at the exposition in France.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I see the Museum has 4 buildings. Is Guernica in the Sabatini Building?
As previously stated, the main museum with the painting is really close to Attocha Station. I stayed at a Hostel/Albergue in that neighborhood. You can see a list of where I stayed in the footnotes below my post. I also went to the museum at a time when they had free admission. So, check their calendar for that. I also went to a Decathlon in that neighborhood to get my hiking poles because I only had a carry on for the plane trip

When I was in Madrid I made a point of going to the Museo Sofia Reina and seeing Picasso's Guernica Painting. Google it
I have read the book "Guernica" and also "The History of the Basque People", but other than seeing photos of Picasso's painting, I have yet to see it. When I fly into Madrid again I will be sure to visit the museum.

Three of our four Camino Frances have started and ended in Madrid and we have spent at least one night there at the beginning or ending of our caminos. We always stay near "Puerta del Sol" which is the center of historic Madrid. It's very easy to travel from the airport to downtown, via the Metro or taxi. Our favorite restaurant in all of Spain is the "La Alhambra" which is nearby. Our favorite meal there is grilled pulpo with fries and salad, and of course fine red wine. Great place to end your camino in Madrid ! Bob

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Found this place on the first video!! (Spain Revealed)
I would second the recommendation for Botin. It is terrific. Get the roast suckling pig as an entree!
And buy a song from the band!
Check out the menu: https://botin.es/en/menu-botin-en/

An old mentor of mine loved the phrase "You can sleep next month"
My 90 year old mother’s verson of that phrase was — I have all eternity to lie on my back.

I have pretty strong opinions on this, and they all go against airport hotels. Going into the town of Barajas would be the only place near the airport that I would consider, many have liked Hostal Viky I think it is. And as @C clearly describes, it’s a real town with real services.

I’ve stayed in the Marriott airport hotel once and never again. Nothing wrong with it if you don’t care about being a prisoner in the hotel - no other eating options nearby, absolutely no place to walk around (it’s all a maze of highways). The convenience factor is minimal, imho, because you have to get a scheduled airport shuttle bus, and it takes about 15 minutes. Not much shorter than a cab from central Madrid in off-peak, but of course there’s the traffic factor.

Getting into the airport at 7 pm and not having to be at the airport till midday gives you time, IMHO, to have a good dinner, a good walk, and a visit to the Reina Sofia to see Guernica and the exhibit. Cercanías is fast and efficient, but I would spring for a taxi. They are fixed price around 30€ I thnk. Hours of the Reina Sofía are 10 am to 9pm. I would consider going there straight from the airport, putting your pack in the consigna. If timing is good, you would have an hour or more for the Guernica exhibit and crowds are likely to be much smaller in the evening than at 10 am.

If you are going to go to the Guernica, I would pick a hotel near there. Millions of choices. I can give a few recommendations if that’s what you choose. The Retiro park, which is beautiful, is also nearby. A morning walk there would be lovely. If you want to stay near Puerta del Sol, I second @Kanga’s recommendation. Absolutely no shortage of fabulous restaurants in central Madrid. I have a couple of young professional Spanish friends who are very up to date on the latest on the restaurant scene (they have never led me astray) and can get some suggestions depending on the area you choose.

I know lots of people like airport hotels and find them convenient, but that has not been my experience. It’s your call of course! Buen camino, Laurie

I would suggest doing a search for "best places to stay in Madrid" and articles like this come up https://santorinidave.com/best-places-madrid or this https://www.wandertooth.com/where-to-stay-in-madrid-coolest-neighborhoods/

Read through a few articles and see what neighborhood appeals to your senses and nature. Look for a neighborhood full of nightlife since you will mostly have night hours to sight see. Then go to a map and see what sites are in the neighborhood and see if any have late night or early morning visiting hours.

Unfortunately, a lot of the touristy stuff like museums would probably be closed during those hours - but you can probably find a dinner show or an evening bus tour or something and then just wander the streets a bit in the morning before departure.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

We had a stop in Madrid too…a bit longer than yours. We had something like 22 hours. We made the most of it. We did not want to simply rest either. We starting walking

We started in the vicinity of the palace and cathedral and walked into the older part of the city. We stopped in churches and admired the art, enjoyed the cafes and small shops (an outdoor bookstore was particularly memorable) and people-watching. There was so much to do and see that it was completely enjoyable and time well-spent.

Being art fans we considered visiting the art museums but wanted to delve right into the life of the city. It was a good choice that I have never regretted.

... But at this stage I now land in Madrid at 7 pm on a Thursday.
And have to check in for my homeward flight by midday Friday. (the next day) ...
... But if you had a few hours in Madrid, what would you do? ...

The layover time available for excursions plus local round-trip travel plus sleep is quite brief and the consequences of being delayed getting back to the airport will be costly.

Some time ago someone in this Forum mentioned the beautiful wooden ceiling in the

Parroquia Santa Maria la Blanca Canillejas

which is close to Madrid Airport.

Perhaps the church would be open for visitors in the morning. It is on my near-the-airport to-see list but I have never actually been there.

Aside from the church, might the locality of Canillejas itself be worth a walk-about?

If you have to stay overnight, I would definitely make a move to Madrid, Barajas itself is not a particularly charming place, unless you find a special procession that day. Madrid is a perfectly walkable city, and a nice one too. My top places would be

Thyssen Bornemisza Museum, very close to more famous El Prado, but to me, a more complete museum because you find centuries of painting history there, it is amazing. You might not find so many iconic works of art as in El Prado, but the assortment of styles is something else.

El Prado, of course, so many iconic paintings by Velazquez, Titian, Goya and, my favourite, The Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch, you can spend hours standing in front of it admiring every detail, it is so rich and dense

Walk in the old Austrias (the monarchy dinasty in the 15-17th century) quarter, including the Opera house, the Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol, Plaza de Santa Ana...

Debod temple, an authentic antique Egyptian temple in the center of Madrid, moved from the Assuan valley, stone by stone, to the city of Madrid, great place to see the sunset
Maybe a leasurely walk in Retiro park? Botanic gardens are adjacent.

If you are a big soccer fan, maybe Real or Atlético will be playing that night, well worth it

A fresh fried squid roll/sub/sandwich near Plaza Mayor

If you like roast lamb, try some good Asador (I would not be able to name one right now)

Keep an eye on musicals, concerts, opera, plays that might be on stage that night

This said, since you are arriving so early, you might consider other towns/cities near Madrid, less than one hour by train, like

Segovia, the fast AVE train will put you there in no time, you can see the largest Roman build aqueduct I think I have ever seen, the city center itself, the Alcazar castle upon which Disney inspired himself for the famous Disneyland castle, and the most finger licking roast suckling piglet you could ever dream of.

El Escorial, also by train, gigantic monastery and historic site near the mountains

Toledo, with all its glorious Moorish and Jewish past and quirky little lanes

For one day, you probably have enough on that menu!

Buen camino, and enjoy whatever you might decided to end up doing!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You would have time after arriving at your hotel to go to a flamenco show. You could rest your legs, while someone else does all the hard leg work. I love the shows at this place and will go again next time I’m in Madrid (Hopefully, September and October this year for the Camino de Madrid). A late night, but you could then sleep in before heading to the airport.

When I was preparing to walk the camino de Madrid (to the Frances, to the Invierno, to Santiago- a wonderful combination) I found myself in Madrid with limited preparation time and close to the Reina Sofia. I wanted to see Guernica, but time limitations made that impractical.
I looked at a copy (painting) of Guernica in a classroom of the Religious Studies Building at McGill University during the years when I was doing my doctorate there, with no idea of what I was seeing (Picasso often has that effect on me). Over the years that I have walked in Spain, that has changed. I still doubt that I have the background and the sensitivity to fully absorb that painting, but I intend to try if I am in the vicinity again.

Anyone who wants to see Picasso’s ‘Guernica’ and finds themselves in Malaga might walk a hundred meters north of the Plaza de Merced:

B6A31B39-9908-4E40-BA3B-9140E0C35510.jpeg

As it’s literally ‘round the back’ of his birthplace, I’d like to think of it as an early draft.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would second the recommendation for Botin. It is terrific. Get the roast suckling pig as an entree!
And buy a song from the band!
Check out the menu: https://botin.es/en/menu-botin-en/
I fly in and out of Madrid for my May-June Camino Frances and plan on eating mostly pilgrim menus and menu del dia. Now that being said i'am a Chef and have budgeted a little extra to try some special cuisine in the bigger towns like Leon. This looks like a great restaurant to end my trip. This forum has such great information.

I'll always try to see the Mercado de San Miguel, just off the Plaza Mayor. Fantastic display of all sorts of food - some of which stares back at you.
Seek out the small stall of Señor Martin if in San Miguel It’s just fried fish, but it’s the offshoot of one of the best fish restaurants in Madrid. Otherwise it’s an overpriced tourist-trap.

Also if in that area around mid-morning, have a chocolate at El Riojano on c.Mayor, it was a recommendation from Ivar many years ago and, on chocolate, he is correct.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For my next Camino I head back home by flying SdC to Madrid, change flights, then back to Australia.
As always in these times, my flight bookings have been changed a couple of times.

So rather than be frustrated that my carefully planed travel arrangements have been screwed up.........

So the plan was to fly into Madrid, with a 3-4 hour 'buffer' before departing to Australia.

And I'm using up all the available time I have on the Camino, so don't really want to stay longer in Madrid for example.

Any ideas?

A brief walk somewhere?

I stayed at the hotel at Chamartin station and got the metro in. Made it easier for a short Madrid stay and to get to the airport

Also look at what is happening in Madrid on your date. Maybe that will give you a simple focus of a single activity or place to go.
I often spend a few hours in Barajas when I have a late flight or a long layover. Of course it’s nothing like the city but if you are short of time I find it quite a pleasant place and you would never guess you were near a major international airport. It’s can be amazing how you can be so close to a major airport, especially in Europe, and it can seem a millions miles away. I spent the first 40 years of my life about 1-2 miles from London Heathrow and apart from Conoride taking off you never would have known as it all seemed quite distant!

I often spend a few hours in Barajas when I have a late flight or a long layover. Of course it’s nothing like the city but if you are short of time I find it quite a pleasant place and you would never guess you were near a major international airport. It’s can be amazing how you can be so close to a major airport, especially in Europe, and it can seem a millions miles away. I spent the first 40 years of my life about 1-2 miles from London Heathrow and apart from Conoride taking off you never would have known as it all seemed quite distant!

LOL. I used to live in Hounslow.
You would get used to pausing a phone conversation as each plane passed over!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
LOL. I used to live in Hounslow.
You would get used to pausing a phone conversation as each plane passed over!
Yes indeed. Not every town and certainly not Hounslow or Feltham!!! But if not directly under flight path can be ok. I’m from West Drayton and minimal
noise impact!

I fly in and out of Madrid for my May-June Camino Frances and plan on eating mostly pilgrim menus and menu del dia. Now that being said i'am a Chef and have budgeted a little extra to try some special cuisine in the bigger towns like Leon. This looks like a great restaurant to end my trip. This forum has such great information.
Botín is great. Maybe not the absolute best meal of your life (though very very good) just the history of the place is enough to give it the push to 5 stars

When in Leon, check out Asador Salamanca, across the River from the Parador. Awesome suckling pig and lamb.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And another recommendation is the Restaurante Figón del Duque in Navarrete. We had a superb burrata made with local milk and chuletón there. Young Venezuelan chef. Really good.

Any ideas?

A brief walk somewhere?

Segway tour in Retiro park! Maybe not enuf time :(

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All set and booked.

Arrive 8pm at Madrid Hotel next to the Museum housing 'Guernica'.
If time allows, see it before closing.
Then dinner at Botin. Last service is 11:15 pm!

If I don't make the Museum on the evening of arrival due to delay, I still have time in the morning on the way to the Airport to see 'Guernica'. (plus a walk in El Retiro Park after breakfast)
Head to airport about 11 am

Better than hanging out at an Airport Hotel I think.

Thanks for the great suggestions :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Other than Guernica (I want to do the Norte so much just to go there), try and check out the Dali, Gris, Miro paintings and the Calder mobiles. I know, a lot to see and too little time. I remember the first time I went to Botín I arrived at 8.30 and the staff were having their dinner! One thing in Spain, no issues with eating late.

I know a lot of Spaniards consider Botín a tourist trap, but I think the food is pretty consistently good. Since it’s billed as the oldest continuously operating restaurant in the world, it’s not surprising that there would be a lot of tourists. It’s not a gourmet place, it’s a traditional food place. Its food is typical Castilian, heavy and missing the color green on the plate. Traditional decor to go with the food. I think most people enjoy it.

Don’t miss the chance to see the Plaza Mayor lit at night. Botín is right down the street. All the places in the plaza are definitely tourist traps, but overpaying for an after dinner coffee is well worth it. Your 5€ coffee will give you plenty of time to enjoy the plaza’s magnificance.

Always check ‘what’s on’ for the specific date you are there. You never know what might show up. Was on a train trip across USA a few years and googled what was on in SFO that evening and one of my fave music artists was appearing about 2 mins walk from my hotel! Seeing you arrive at 7pm May May rule this out or other events such as football but hopefully a useful tip!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh sorry, one more then I will leave you in peace. Asador Donastaria, near the Bernabéu. Super steaks served on hot stone. Expensive but we thought it was great. Patronised by the Real Madrid team and Nadal apparently😀

Any ideas?

A brief walk somewhere?

Take the metro to the centre of the city and visit the San Miguel Market. You can wander among the food booths, sampling pintxos and wine.

Any ideas?

A brief walk somewhere?

Any ideas?

A brief walk somewhere?

Take the metro to the centre of the city and visit the San Miguel Market. You can wander among the food booths, sampling pintxos and wine. Save some room for chocolate and churros at Chocolatería San Ginés, which is not far away. Enjoy wandering the streets and the squares of central Madrid. Perhaps sleep at a central hostel, because you are accustomed to that.

Take the metro to the centre of the city and visit the San Miguel Market. You can wander among the food booths, sampling pintxos and wine.

Take the metro to the centre of the city and visit the San Miguel Market. You can wander among the food booths, sampling pintxos and wine. Save some room for chocolate and churros at Chocolatería San Ginés, which is not far away. Enjoy wandering the streets and the squares of central Madrid. Perhaps sleep at a central hostel, because you are ac

Take the metro to the centre of the city and visit the San Miguel Market. You can wander among the food booths, sampling pintxos and wine. Save some room for chocolate and churros at Chocolatería San Ginés, which is not far away. Enjoy wandering the streets and the squares of central Madrid. Perhaps sleep at a central hostel, because you are accustomed to that.
Great market I have to say!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That and the chocolate & churros!!
I get into Madrid from Santiago on a Saturday and fly back to Canada on Sunday. Was going to stay out by the airport for easy excess to airport but by reading some of the comments here I decided to stay right downtown and enjoy my last night in Spain walking around Madrid. Booking.com had a new accommodation join there listing in January called Roomstay Lope de Vega and its right near central Madrid and not too far from train station to get to airport. Chocolate and churros here I come. Plus excited also to hear about San Miguel Market.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back