• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues, buses, and different routes

ChrisMayou

Time of past OR future Camino
del Norte planned for Sept 1, 2024
I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the day. Then I would like to take a bus or train up to Segovia and spend the night, and then do the same to Burgos or a nearby city, and then on to San Sebastián and Irun, also by public transportation so that I can start the Norte. The first three cities are all on Camino routes, but they are different Camino routes, and not the Norte. Can I register and use the pilgrim albergues there before getting to San Sebastián? Would I need separate credentials for each different route? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You only need one credential. I assume that you want to visit and sightsee in Toledo, Segovia and Burgos?

I don't know why you need to go to San Sebastián before Irun. You will be walking through San Sebastián on the Camino.

You only need one credential. I assume that you want to visit and sightsee in Toledo, Segovia and Burgos?

I don't know why you need to go to San Sebastián before Irun. You will be walking through San Sebastián on the Camino.
I’m meeting someone who is starting at San Sebastián. I may walk from Irun the day before. Yes, I want to visit Toledo, Segovia, and Burgos, and it would be a bonus to “start my pilgrimage” there, though my walking will be minimal— from bus station, for example.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Personally, I like my credential to reflect the route that I actually walked, but it's perfectly okay to get stamps in other cities beforehand. You may not be eligible to stay in pilgrim only albergues if you aren't walking, but there are plenty of albergues turísticos where you can sleep.

As far as sleeping during the day in Toledo, I would get a private room

My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the day.
Chris, be sure to leave some daylight hours for exploring Toledo. There are so many wonderful towns and cities in Spain - and Toledo is right up there in my opinion. Fascinating history of three cultures - Muslim, Christian and Jewish - reflected in its architecture. Even the train station is fabulous.

My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the day.

Chris, be sure to leave some daylight hours for exploring Toledo. There are so many wonderful towns and cities in Spain - and Toledo is right up there in my opinion. Fascinating history of three cultures - Muslim, Christian and Jewish - reflected in its architecture. Even the train station is fabulous.
I agree with @Pelerina. In fact I would resist the urge to sleep more than a brief nap during the day. Get out and walk around to get your internal clock set to Spanish time. I spent an afternoon in Toledo once, and went on a free (not totally free, because you tip at the end) walking tour, which was very informative.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Personally, I like my credential to reflect the route that I actually walked, but it's perfectly okay to get stamps in other cities beforehand. You may not be eligible to stay in pilgrim only albergues if you aren't walking, but there are plenty of albergues turísticos where you can sleep.

As far as sleeping during the day in Toledo, I would get a private room
Absolutely going for a private room in Toledo. I just want to start hanging out with other pilgrims after that, even if they're not on the same route I plan to walk in total. But I get that I shouldn't take a bed from someone who walked to a town. So, I will use albergues and hostels that are not pilgrim-only. Thanks for the reply.

I definitely want to explore Toledo in daylight. Thanks for the tip to see the train station. But I also want to know that I can nap if I need to. I think I will need to! So, a room for two nights seems like it will fit the bill.

I agree with @Pelerina. In fact I would resist the urge to sleep more than a brief nap during the day. Get out and walk around to get your internal clock set to Spanish time. I spent an afternoon in Toledo once, and went on a free (not totally free, because you tip at the end) walking tour, which was very informative.
Thanks for the tip. My traveler daughter has done many "free" walking tours, and she also recommended that I do them. I will try for just a brief nap. A room for two nights is my fallback plan for napping at any time as needed!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think two nights in Toledo is a great idea. You can settle in on arrival and know you have the whole of the next day to enjoy the town in a leisurely way and have your room to go back to when you feel like taking a nap.
Thank you. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Unless you are staying at private albergues I would not stay at pilgrim accommodation on routes you are not walking as a pilgrim. If you are sightseeing, then stay at nonpilgrim accommodations.
Yes, that is my conclusion. I presume there will be some pilgrims at the private albergues, so I will still be able to chat with them.

Yes, that is my conclusion. I presume there will be some pilgrims at the private albergues, so I will still be able to chat with them.
Look on Gronze for albergues. It will indicate whether they are pilgrim only, or "oriented towards pilgrims."

I don’t think you will meet so manypilgrims in Toledo, but lots of one-day bustourists.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the day. Then I would like to take a bus or train up to Segovia and spend the night, and then do the same to Burgos or a nearby city, and then on to San Sebastián and Irun, also by public transportation so that I can start the Norte. The first three cities are all on Camino routes, but they are different Camino routes, and not the Norte. Can I register and use the pilgrim albergues there before getting to San Sebastián? Would I need separate credentials for each different route? Thanks!
Last fall I landed Madrid and bussed to Burgos for convenient break in travel. I had my credential stamped at the municipal albergue and stayed there that night with no issue. Next morning the bus from Burgos went directly to San Sebastian (for those wondering why someone would stop in San Sebastian before Irun) where I got the train to Irun to start walking the del Norte. The only raised eyebrows regarding the Burgos stamp were from the man at the church in Irun who stamped my credential to begin the del Norte. He was clearly not happy that I had the Burgos stamp first, and I still do not comprehend his consternation.

Last fall I landed Madrid and bussed to Burgos for convenient break in travel. I had my credential stamped at the municipal albergue and stayed there that night with no issue. Next morning the bus from Burgos went directly to San Sebastian (for those wondering why someone would stop in San Sebastian before Irun) where I got the train to Irun to start walking the del Norte. The only raised eyebrows regarding the Burgos stamp were from the man at the church in Irun who stamped my credential to begin the del Norte. He was clearly not happy that I had the Burgos stamp first, and I still do not comprehend his consternation.
At some albergues if it isn't clear that you are on pilgrimage (in this case the Norte) you might be denied lodging. He may have been concerned that you were just using cheap lodging and had no intention for pilgrimage. Honestly, the Spanish hospitaleros that I have handed off to are very quick to call you a tourist and deny you a bed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the info. This is the way I think it works. If a pilgrim uses a bus/train to move from one Camino route to another or to skip a section but continue hiking, using the pilgrim albergue would be acceptable. And taking a bus to the intended start location and using a pilgrim albergue the night before hiking would be okay, right? But using a bus from point A to point B, staying in a pilgrim albergue, and then taking a bus to point C where you will start hiking is frowned upon.

At some albergues if it isn't clear that you are on pilgrimage (in this case the Norte) you might be denied lodging. He may have been concerned that you were just using cheap lodging and had no intention for pilgrimage. Honestly, the Spanish hospitaleros that I have handed off to are very quick to call you a tourist and deny you a bed.
Good to know!

I had an overnight in Toledo a few years ago. It is a very interesting city, and in addition to its charming character, ancient buildings and the history @Pelerina mentioned, a trivia fact I haven't forgotten are all of the swords displayed in the windows of many shops. Toledo was the largest producer of artisan quality swords used in ancient wars.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Can I register and use the pilgrim albergues there before getting to San Sebastián?
Most pilgrim albergues have a rule that you have to have walked there to be allowed to stay, so I think you would be well advised to stay in private accommodation until you start your walk. As San Sebastián is the start of your walk, you will be allowed to use the pilgrim albergue there.

I don’t think you will meet so manypilgrims in Toledo, but lots of one-day bustourists.
And quite a few using the train as well.

Personally I disliked Toledo, it seemed too Disneyfied for me.

I prefer places like Valladolid and Valencia where old and historic parts of the city are blended in with the new parts and together these make, in my opinion, more livable cities.

And quite a few using the train as well.

Personally I disliked Toledo, it seemed too Disneyfied for me.

I prefer places like Valladolid and Valencia where old and historic parts of the city are blended in with the new parts and together these make, in my opinion, more livable cities.
Thanks. I’ve just started researching what I might do with my week before I start Del Norte. I was intrigued by the cities that are on Camino routes. But since I will be only a tourist and not a pilgrim yet, I’m more inclined now to go to cities that call to me in another way. Earlier, I read about Valladolid but thought of (Camino) Burgos (sp?) instead. I will rethink.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks. I’ve just started researching what I might do with my week before I start Del Norte. I was intrigued by the cities that are on Camino routes. But since I will be only a tourist and not a pilgrim yet, I’m more inclined now to go to cities that call to me in another way. Earlier, I read about Valladolid but thought of (Camino) Burgos (sp?) instead. I will rethink.
Both Valladolid and Valencia are on Caminos. Valladolid is on an option for the Camino Madrid, which is how I found it.

There are a couple of Caminos that start from Valencia.

Valladolid is on an option for the Camino Madrid, which is how I found it.
I too, enjoyed visiting Valladolid on the Madrid last fall, @DoughnutANZ. It's a beautiful city with an incredible park. Laurie's recommendation to visit the Sculpture museum with fantastic examples of the poly-chrome wood technique used during the Spanish Renaissance era was a definite highlight. In addition, your dessert photos🍰 had me salivating as well.😏

Off-hand, I can´t think of any significant cities in Spain that aren´t on a camino route, so you have a pretty wide choice. But I am sure you won´t be disappointed whichever you choose.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.