• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues with family rooms - recomendations (CF)

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
I have yet to work out where we will be staying but as a family of 4, I am trying to get a list together of albergues to sleep 4 plus must have an en-suite. Bonus points for somewhere that provides bed linen (happy to pay a fee for this).

My husband refuses to share a room with others

Would also love recommendations for inexpensive but recommendable hotels along the Camino Frances.

We could stay in hotels the whole way but I would love for our children (and us) to meet and talk to pilgrims from around the world in the social setting that I imagine an albergue can provide - and which would be much harder staying in hotels. It would also be nice to save a Euro here and there!

Thanks

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've heard about these albergues with family rooms but after 3,000km on camino trails I have yet to find one.
Very occasionally a place has rooms with fewer beds than the norm, but I can't recall any ensuites.
You might find little family-run hostals and the like serve your needs well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are many private albergues that offer twin or single rooms though the en suite may be a problem and then there are other tourism apartments and pensions - You may have to do some mixing and matching as what you are looking for is pretty specific. Zubiri has such accomodation , there is the Pension Escaray in Pamplona , and then there is the Asun apartments in Viana - thats a good start. In March if it is not to busy the establishments may make a deal with you - beware of Easter in April - if you want to make sure that you have a place to stay - book in advance. You could be paying €10 each for a bunk in an albergue anyway.

To find an albergue that provides bed linen and an en-suite may be difficult. We stayed in the la Fuente Casa de Austria in Los Arcos, which had a room with 4 beds (but not en-suite). In Roncesvalles the albergue has cubicles of 4 beds, each with lockers.

The description you posted does not match well with the albergues as we commonly know them here. Using the albergue system normally means communal sleeping as a general rule. There are sometimes rooms for 2 or 4..but they are usually the first ones taken.
Using the economical albergue system across the Camino distance will require that you often just have to accept what is available when you turn up.
Private albergues will often accept reservations but usually do not have the type of facilities you desire.
It is more likely you will need to book pension, hostel, etc to get what you want.

You can still search out an acceptable albergue or two along the way to give the children the experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here are some good places to stay with cubicles: Azofra Albergue Municipal, itero de la Vega - Hostal Itero de la Vega; Monasterio Santa Clara in Carrion de los Condes has rooms as well en suite and good rate; San Nicolas de Real de Camino Rooms for four people; Cacabelos - Cubicles for two; Sarria -Don't know if it still exists but try Albergue dos Oito Merabedis has self catering rooms with kitchen. Buen Camino

We stayed in Albergue Leo in Villafranca. We were in a room for 5 and it had a very nice en suite bathroom. If memory serves me right sheets and possibly towels were provided.

What you are looking for exists in plenty in the UK run by the YHA, but that is driven by our local child protection practice here which forbids non related adults sharing rooms with kids.

But in camino albergues, not so much, as posters above confirm. If it does, it's more a happy accident of a 4 bedded dorm, rather than an actual category of accommodation.

You don't mention how old your children are, or why you insist on an ensuite. If your husband is the driver behind that, you could book him into a pension a few times and take the kids to an albergue. And then the rest of the time stay in casas rurales, apartments, pensions etc. You could also consider airbnb occasionally, which would give a taste of Spanish family life possibly?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
RENSHAW mentions you're going in March - you may find you have whole albergues to yourself! If you're willing to book ahead just a day or so at a time you could wait and see if this happens. If no one else is walking and you get to use albergues exclusively you'll save lots of euros!

Last edited:
Thank you for all of your answers and for the suggestions that some of you have made. This is an example of what we are seeking: http://elpalodeavellano.com/en/rooms/#! . I have yet to discuss in detail with my husband about whether the cubicle style accom (at least on occasion) would be acceptable.

Perhaps to tell you a little more about our needs and the plan for our camino might help..

As Renshaw said, we are planning a March Camino. Due to time constraints, we are breaking our Camino in to two.. So next year we will start in SJPdP and aim for Leon - possible we wont make it that far but we will see. Due to medical issues I would rather not go into we have decided to have our luggage transported each day. Now, we are not set on this, we may carry or packs on the shorter or flatter days, or we might just take suitcases and and get them transported every day. I am not sure yet and would welcome suggestions and opinions. Given this we will probably book in advance. Someone asked, our children will be 9 and 12. This is perhaps not our preferred way to do the Camino (hotels and luggage transport), but this is what our family needs to do for a Camino at this point in our lives.

I totally understand the concept of getting what is available and that albergue is budget style accom. Given the style of our Camino, I understand that hotels are the best option and probably what we will use most (combined with airbnb as notion900 suggested), I merely posted my original question in the hope that there will be occasions where we could stay in communal accommodation yet have our own room such as the place mentioned above. Renshaw, thanks for the tip re Easter....

Also think about the category of accommodation called Casa Rural. These are booked out as a whole house, but also room by room sometimes, sharing the kitchen and sitting room.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks notion900. I didn't know that. I must confess I struggle trying to work out the types of accommodation. How do I find a list of Casa Rurals? Google? Thanks again for your input.

Still considering whether to take sleeping bags and/or liners, but probably not worth it for the few times we might use it. I say this in terms of bulk for carrying/transporting but also, everything I get is x4 so it is going to be very expensive to kit out for our Camino.. I am also concerned about heating... so many things to consider!!!

Gumba
Please be encouraged to do whatever you need to to make this work for your family. Regardless of how you do it, I'm sure the experience will be great. Sheesh - I even read of a family who took their motorhome to Santiago and walked 5km in to the cathedral to "get a feel" for the pilgrimage! Sure it will have been a different experience to walking every day, even just from Sarria, but it was still good for them.
Using hotels will in no way diminish your experience. In fact there was more than one day that our family thought that would be a lovely option (but for us the budget ruled it out!)
I think you'll find people will be hesitant to comment on whether you should carry packs when we don't know why you don't want to - and that is said not to urge you to tell - just I think you'll have to make that decision for yourself. Certainly plenty will tell you that sending bags along each day is no trouble at all and can be arranged day by day.
You will find people who tell you that flexibility and being able to decide how far to go depending on how you are feeling is a great bonus. Others will tell you that having accommodation all booked gives peace of mind. Still others will suggest booking the first night or two and then seeing how you go from there.

Enjoy the planning!

Thank you kiwi-family. I had a car accident earlier this year and at this stage my spine would not be able to support the weight. My husband has a years-old ankle injury that is prone to pain and sprains easily, so trying to minimize injury. Secondary to this, I am hoping a lighter load means we can walk a bit further each day so we can reach our goal of Leon in the time we have.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
How do I find a list of Casa Rurals?

www.gronze.com is my go-to these days. It's in Spanish but don't be put off. You can get the Chrome browser to translate if you like, and even without that, as the bulk of the info is accommodation lists and maps, the language does not matter. It doesn't have an app, but the website works brilliantly on a phone anyway. I love it! It lists Casas Rurales as a matter of course in each town and village.

Just a word of warning if your back is bad, to get a properly comfortable bed in a Spanish hotel, you need to go above the basic level. I am often amazed by the unsprung foam horrors of mattresses in even quite respectable hotels. Has anyone else experienced this? Or maybe you like an unyielding surface, @Gumba?

It is important to know that "hostal" means a smaller hotel, possibly family run, without the full services, 24-h reception, etc., that a "hotel" would offer. You might get a private bathroom or not. Use booking.com or hotels.com and you will find quite a variety of accommodation to choose from.

unsprung foam horrors of mattresses
I sleep on an unspring foam mattress at home, by choice. :)

I sleep on an unspring foam mattress at home, by choice. :)
Yes sure but in the UK if you checked into even a basic B&B you would expect a sprung mattress. My experience of airb&b in Spain is that in homes people like foam as well. I have found the mattresses in basic hotels really quite bad, as a side sleeper. They are not even good foam, but like the mattresses you get in boats and caravans. Finding a sprung mattress in an albergue is also a source of jubilation.

If the OP has been in a car accident, just as well to be aware.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've just had a chat with my husband about this thread and we have decided that the bathroom isnt quite so important and that we would be prepared to stay at albergues that have the 2 bunk (4 bed) style cubicles. To be honest, we are partly driven by the fact that we have our children, I am guessing a lot of pilgrims will be going to be early but I know from experience with jetlag, for the first couple of weeks our boys will be needing to go to bed by around 6-7pm certainly in the first week and by 8pm on the second week. We are traveling from Australia and after a night in Paris we will be heading straight down to sjpdp and getting in to it.

I am sure I am making things more difficult than they need to be lol.

There are lots of places that are part albergue with dorms, and part hostal/pension with private rooms and ensuite baths. I'll try to come up with a few I stayed at.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It sounds like you need to stay in pensions the first week or so, and then you can do the nicer end of the private albergues. Bear in mind that 'cubicles' won't protect the kids from people being noisy in the early evening and waking them up.

Hostal San Martin in Leon provided us with a lovely en suite room for two. Not sure they had 4 person rooms but worth asking.
On one stretch of the CF we met a trio of cousins from Canada. One male plus two females all in their late 60s. They booked rooms for 3 in small hotels, posadas and albergues as well.

By the way The Posada in Roncesvalles is also good.

On our many stages on the CF we stayed in some pensions and hostals but also shared massive dormitories in some albergues so quite a mix.
More suggestions:
El Olive de Sansol - Casa de Peregrinos
Hostal Villa de Navarette
Bunk room for 4 at Albergue San Miguel in Hospital de Orbigo
Hostal Alfonso VI Sahagun
Sarria Pension Casa Vento
Sarria On Durminenento
Albaroque Samos

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
El palo de Avellano is a lovely albergue in Zubiri. They do a great pilgrim meal (and a good breakfast).

Walking it as a family is very special. I have friends who are doing it this way, a week at a time. Definitely get your bags transported, from the sound of your family circumstance, its the sensible thing to do. Depending on how much you walk, the kids may well be tired out by the end of the day, or you may find that they are bendy and come alive at the end of the day. My friends found that their kids (who are now teenagers) didn't want to get up early, and so they would starting walking about 10.30 or 11am. What it meant was that
  • they walked more in the heat of the day
  • they didn't meet many people on the road because everyone was ahead of them
  • they arrived at their destination with little time to chill out and relax
So if they are getting to bed early enough they should be up for a relatively early start.

We just stayed at Casa Ibarrola in Pamplona. You would need to call them and ask about their "apartments" which are on the 3rd & 4th floors. The apt. we were in had three bedrooms - with six single beds on total - plus a pretty good kitchen (what we saved on eating in covered the extra room cost), small bathroom with shower. Space downstairs to mingle with other pilgrims.

Puente la Reina - Albergue Santiago Apóstol – has bungalows and swimming pool

https://www.gronze.com/navarra/puente-reina/albergue-santiago-apostol

Logroño – Hostel Entresueños - three of us had a private room with 3 bunk beds

https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/hostel-entresuea-os-logroa-o.html

Villafranca Montes de Oca – Hotel San Antón Abad – very nice hotel romos in the same building as the albergue

http://www.hotelsanantonabad.com/

Atapuerca – Papasol albergue and hotel

https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/centro-de-turismo-rural-papasol.html

Atapuerca – Albergue el Peregrino – private rooms

https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/burgos/atapuerca/albergue-peregrino

Hontanas – Albergue Juan de Yepes – has rooms with 4 beds and ensuite bath. Also nice communal dinner

https://www.alberguejuandeyepes.com/el-albergue.php

Villafranca del Bierzo – Albergue San Nicolás el Real Hospedería – I had a really nice room here with two doublé beds for only 25 Euro. It’s in a beautiful old convent

http://www.sannicolaselreal.com/

Barbadelo – Casa Barbadelo – super nice, newer place with swimming pool. Don’t miss the back room of the restaurant – they have a really cool display of antique sewing machines, typewriters, and cameras.

http://www.barbadelo.com/en/index.htm

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.