• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Angela from OZ and her graffiti

Status
Not open for further replies.

holidaymonster

Time of past OR future Camino
None
I’m currently on the Camino (17/6/18) and everywhere I look some woman called Angela from Australia has decided to deface various things along the way. She has written various messages in marker pen all over the way markers and stones along the Camino. Now did Angela from OZ who walked the way on the 15/6/2018 think it was a great idea to take a marker pen on a pilgrimage and scribble over everything.

Shame on you Angela!!!

If everyone did this the Camino would look awful. If you know Angela from OZ who did the walk on the 15/6/2018 then tell her from me to go scribble all over her sacred walks in OZ and see how her countrymen feel about it.

Angela from OZ grow up!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How horrible and selfish.

I doubt very much that Dirty Angela is a member of this forum - or any of the pilgrim groups in Oz. The only Angela I can think of was not on the Camino Frances and would be the last person to deface anything.

Lol.
Yes there could be another Angela from OZ but it’s still Angela from OZ that’s done it and WHY would someone frame Angela from OZ when we don’t even know who she is?
I think Angela from Australia 15/06/2018 should come on here and defend her actions otherwise it’s a kangaroo court. OMG it must be her with a link like that.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m currently on the Camino (17/6/18) and everywhere I look some woman called Angela from Australia has decided to deface various things along the way. She has written various messages in marker pen all over the way markers and stones along the Camino. Now did Angela from OZ who walked the way on the 15/6/2018 think it was a great idea to take a marker pen on a pilgrimage and scribble over everything.

Shame on you Angela!!!

If everyone did this the Camino would look awful. If you know Angela from OZ who did the walk on the 15/6/2018 then tell her from me to go scribble all over her sacred walks in OZ and see how her countrymen feel about it.

Angela from OZ grow up!!
I agree. I found the disrespect of property appalling . Are these people that self absorbed that they think all others who follow need to see their trashy scribbles? In the end, the markers and walls do not belong to them and they've no business destroying the property of others, Camino or not. Juvenile and self-absorbed.

Is this the same idiot who writes Ppp everywhere? I've seen her do it what a waste of space go home

Reactions: RJM
Is this the same idiot who writes Ppp everywhere? I've seen her do it what a waste of space go home

Did you take a photo?

Maybe we can start sending pics of the ‘perps’ to the Police. :)

I for one would happily sponsor a jail cell for convicted vandals like these.

Sadly...I seriously doubt that any of the vandals read this forum.

These serious expressions of outrage are only seen by those of us who are equally outraged.
I couldn't agree with you more regarding them reading or not reading this forum, but by posting this information out of anger or just plain frustration, it will bring awareness to those who do read this forum to keep an eye out for these selfish & self absorbed "artist"...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
bird_graffito-e1515752433706.jpg
2000 years old graffiti. - Pompei.

And no. I do not like the endless littering and vandalism that follow the Caminos, but humans are humans, and when a few millions are walking the same stretch over a decade, there is no way it will not show.
On one of my walks I meet a young man and we walked together for a few days.
I noticed some recurring messages involving his name and the word love and 4ever on stones, bilboards etc. so I mentioned it for him and he was most embarrassed.
It turned out it was a girl he had meet on the camino some days earlier and she was a few days ahead of us and she was proclaiming her love to him this way :)
What can you say to that..
For her I am sure it was the most romantic thing possible.
When people believe that what they are doing is of most importance and life changing, such as walking a Camino, they will do anything that makes sense to them - including writing Kilroy was here or taki183 or the like. It is just human nature.

If you are tired of the trash etc. on the Camino --> start picking up the trash you meet on the way and dispose it --> donate funds to local organisations that help cleaning up the Camino.
It may sound a bit sour, but I do think it is the only way.
And of course - train you eye not to focus on the negative actions of others, but rather on the many that walk along you and are doing it in harmony with you and the surroundings.

With all the best intent and buen Camino
Lettinggo

Last edited:
“Thus says the ... ‘Put your sword on your side each of you, and go to and fro from gate to gate throughout the camp, and each of you kill his brother and his companion and his neighbor.’”

There are a lot of things they did 2,000 years ago that are unacceptable today. I am uncertain if historical arguments are effective justification. ;)

It is just human nature.

If we go back just the one million years to Atapuerca, cannibalism was human nature, and if we go back 5 million years to the Olduvai Gorge, there may have been a lot of "human nature" that was not praiseworthy in the post-agriculture world where we have learned to share, not compete. Again, historical arguments may be weak to justify graffiti. :eek:

Neither Pompeii nor the Hagia Sophia or whatever else we usually cite in this context are good examples. Producing the same kind of graffiti - a slogan, a tag, one's name - over and over again, which is a bit like marking one's trail, is modern "human nature".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Young Foxes usually shit on prominent features to ensure their claim to a territory is asserted. Perhaps we should just regard graffitists as juveniles desperate to claim a little space.
Personally I still detect a subtle distinction between millennial aged markings that represent the emergence of consciousness and representational art and the stains left by the incontinent. Though i suspect that the owners of the Black Hole of Calcutta were as annoyed as the British Admiralty were at the prayers scratched into their stonework and woodwork. Maybe it's just an age thing, maybe at my age I should focus on what I'm doing, what my contribution is rather than what others are doing and whether that contributes or not.

I’ve just joined the Camino Frances after coming off the Primitivo and walked past all of this today. I was absolutely disgusted and ashamed to call myself an Australian. I’ve got photos of 2 of them, she names herself Angela D from Melbourne Australia.

There is also some terrible, large and very regular graffiti in black and also red, all reading LOVE WINS. It’s a nice message but it is on nearly every waymarker from Melide to a little before Santa Irene . . . maybe that’s where they’re staying.

It’s been 16 years since I was on the French Way and I’m appalled, so sad for everyone else

Anyway, Beun Camino, take care
Richie

Lol.
Yes there could be another Angela from OZ but it’s still Angela from OZ that’s done it and WHY would someone frame Angela from OZ when we don’t even know who she is?
I think Angela from Australia 15/06/2018 should come on here and defend her actions otherwise it’s a kangaroo court. OMG it must be her with a link like that.
My sister is Angela and she is from Oz, don’t frame her. Angela is not on the Camino.

Shame on you Angela!!!

Angela from OZ grow up!!
Oh I saw this just the other day when I joined the Frances from The del Norte at Arzúa!!!
Shocked at how many of the markers are defaced and Angela’s silly msgs appeared often and another ridiculous one with Love Wins with a red heart or a red heart and a W. I can’t recall it being like that 2 years ago.
Vandalism and immaturity ruining the wonderful markers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh I saw this just the other day when I joined the Frances from The del Norte at Arzúa!!!
Shocked at how many of the markers are defaced and Angela’s silly msgs appeared often and another ridiculous one with Love Wins with a red heart or a red heart and a W. I can’t recall it being like that 2 years ago.
Vandalism and immaturity ruining the wonderful markers
Oh it's always been there, sometimes you're just too tired to notice it.

Attachments

• camino 2001.jpg
    camino 2001.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Camino 2016.jpg
    Camino 2016.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 163
Young Foxes usually shit on prominent features to ensure their claim to a territory is asserted. Perhaps we should just regard graffitists as juveniles desperate to claim a little space.
Personally I still detect a subtle distinction between millennial aged markings that represent the emergence of consciousness and representational art and the stains left by the incontinent. Though i suspect that the owners of the Black Hole of Calcutta were as annoyed as the British Admiralty were at the prayers scratched into their stonework and woodwork. Maybe it's just an age thing, maybe at my age I should focus on what I'm doing, what my contribution is rather than what others are doing and whether that contributes or not.

Wise words (as usual).

My daughter was at Pompeii last year - apparently the walls are encrusted with absolutely filthy graffiti - one of the earliest (and cleanest) reads: "Gaius Pumidius Diphilus was here,” historians have dated it to October 3, 78 B.C.

Wise words (as usual).

My daughter was at Pompeii last year - apparently the walls are encrusted with absolutely filthy graffiti - one of the earliest (and cleanest) reads: "Gaius Pumidius Diphilus was here,” historians have dated it to October 3, 78 B.C.

LOL! (Good one!)

Shame on you Angela!!!

Angela from OZ grow up!!
As an Australian I find this behaviour embarrassing! What is she thinking?? I hope the graffiti can be removed.

Oh it's always been there, sometimes you're just too tired to notice it.
Hmmm....
I sure hope they go to solid stone, generic markers with simple raised relief arrows or shells on them. Put them the entire route(s). Can be repainted as needed and nothing to remove off of them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The members of this forum I know do not partake in grafitti evident from the comments in this thread. and all countries have their culprits with regards to graffitti.

Every day it is the same senario or rather every second evening.

Its not big, its not cleaver, so just dont deface your surroundings.

Last year the tiles and markers were taken at this Year it apears there are individuals who find it necessary to walk the Camino with a marker pen or spray can.

Those caught should be denied the compostella, but catching them is the difficult part.

Attachments

• IMG_20180623_222902.jpg
    IMG_20180623_222902.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20180623_232005.jpg
    IMG_20180623_232005.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 97

Shame on you Angela!!!

Angela from OZ grow up!!

I was surprised at the amount of graffiti along the way, especially the reference to melted rubber humans... talking with my Camino family one day about this topic someone suggested alcohol wipes to remove it. So we tried it on the next piece of graffiti we found and it worked!!! Obviously it didn’t work on all surfaces but for the majority we tried after this it removed the pen marker without damaging the surface! When I return next year I’ll definitely be taking a big pack of wipes to try and do my bit to remove some of this unsightly (and unnecessary) vandalism!!

Also... super embarrassed in behalf of all Aussies if this Angela from Oz or her friends were responsible for the graffiti in question in this thread :(

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That's a great tip - I wonder if the alcohol gel also works? That plus a cotton handkerchief that could be reused would weigh less than the wipes.

There are a lot of things Australians should be ashamed of: Their beer, Germaine Greer, the form of the current ODI cricket team but some thoughtless graffiti needn't be one of them.

Enjoy your Camino as much as you can and be glad you're not British at this point in time - having said that the Barmy Army says: Come on England - make it a whitewash! :p:p

Australians have no need ever to be ashamed of Germaine Greer @Jeff Crawley. On the contrary they should proud that she shares their birth place. This gutsy woman spoke out against the cultural oppression of women at a time when to do so was to open oneself to ridicule and public contempt. I don't always agree with the views she expresses, but my goodness, I am grateful for her never being afraid to act with courage and not hide here intelligence. A much better export to the UK than Fosters ever was. :p

Yes, @SEB and @Jeff Crawley I am also a defender of Germaine Greer. I think she sometimes plays things for the shock value, and she is wrong about some things, but that does not distract from her courage and her intelligent analysis of our history. She was hugely influential on my mother's generation and my generation. When I remember how I was refused an interview with a bank because I was "too bright" to be a teller and would become discontented, and there were simply no other jobs for women. And how I was expected to resign from my job when I married (I did not).

Yup... alcohol wipes! Tried it recently on my Camino in May/ June and it worked on lot of surfaces.
I won't argue with success, but isopropyl alcohol does not work. It was my first effort for using a solvent, and I had it in my pack for first aid. Perhaps ethanol does (try some orujo?). I have taken almost everything to try -- alcohol, turpentine, lacquer solvent, paint remover, mineral spirits, soap, acetone, steel wool, and an all-purpose cleaner found in Spanish "China" stores. The only thing that worked at all was the all-purpose cleaner applied with steel wool/a good dish scrubber. It takes a lot of rubbing; I went through three cans of the stuff on the last 100 km on one walk. I had become irritated at the Peace March graffiti that was written everywhere. That organization had also screwed a plastic advertising poster into a living tree just before Portomarin! So much for its narrow view of peace (ignoring the war on nature is not true peace to me).

There is a solvent for magic marker, but it is a well kept secret. I had a salesman one time who was selling check writing machines. Part of the demonstration was to sign checks with different things like pencil, ballpoint pen, ink, and magic marker. He had a solvent that would move all of them (not the pencil, actually, but a rubber eraser worked fine for it). If there is a Paymaster salesman out there, what is the solvent?

Same question to any chemist or dry cleaner...:)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I've just read an article that suggests alcohol gel was used to remove permanent marker in the NY subway. And dry erase marker. You apply it in small bits and wipe it straight off - it is supposed to take the permanent marker with it. So it might be worth a try. But it seems that it is hard to remove from concrete, unless it is fresh. I am so impressed @falcon269 with your efforts and saving me wasted time with the wrong solution. Let's hope we get some scientific answers.

There are a lot of things Australians should be ashamed of: Their beer, Germaine Greer, the form of the current ODI cricket team
Attempts at humor, which I assume this is, may be misconstrued on the Forum. There are too many English-as-a-second language members, such as the Scots and the Australians, for jokes to be universally understood. If Germaine Greer actually did something besides promote equality, I would like to know. She refrained from stabbing an abusive husband in the middle of the night, so she gets some credit for that.

Mel Gibson (U.S. born, but famous as an Australian), on the other hand, has a well-documented anti-semetic rant. Perhaps, he is more deserving of insult than Ms. Greer? You did forget Olivia Newton John. While born in England, she rose to fame as an Australian singer. A record of hers was used in our prisoner of war training camp to screechingly keep us awake all night as torture. Of course, Beethoven was used in A Clockwork Orange for torture, so maybe it all is in the eye of the beholder.

And let us not forget the Sydney Opera House that could not be used for music initially because of its atrocious acoustics. A music venue (it IS in the name) unfit for music. The architect was a Dane, but still, the oversight was Australian.

All is forgiven, though, for Helen Reddy and Men at Work. Let's give the penal colony its deserved respect (except that particularly Angela from OZ).:)

Last edited by a moderator:
With you on Men at Work @falcon269 :), but also add Peter Weir, film director, the culture of the original inhabitants before any penal colony was established, and many more. The migration to the UK by Aussies has been a loss to that country but a treasured contribution to the intellectual and cultural life of the UK - with the exception of one un-named newspaper proprietor .
Germaine Greer would never claim to have done much for equality, (she always argued against equality being a useful feminist goal), rather she has given others encouragement to challenge prejudice and to resist being trivialised simply by the way she has lived her own life in the public eye. There must be many woman who walk the Caminos - and the world - alone and with confidence because of women like her who demonstrated the courage to challenge orthodoxies. Like @Kanga, I can recall attitudes that restricted my employment opportunities that were based on assumptions not my ability.:mad:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@falcon269, @Kanga, @SEB

I apologise for my lame attempt at "humour" in an attempt to divert the OP from any need for personal shame on behalf his nation.

You're right of course, the work Ms Greer did in the past far outweighs her current views on the LBGT community and rape, her defence of Harvey Weinstein and her attack on #MeToo

This forum is not a place to raise those topics and I shall delete the offending posting.

Note to moderators: feel free to delete this post too.

regards to all.

Jeff C

her current views on the LBGT community and rape, her defence of Harvey Weinstein and her attack on #MeToo
Duly noted!! In most cases, perhaps she was trying to make a nuanced point where nuance does not exist. Salma Hayek recently complained that attractive, younger women were getting all the good roles. Really, Salma; after your career track to an Academy Award?;) My opinion tries for a bit of nuance, but it is more insult and sexism than nuance. Get my point, I hope? I should keep it to myself, and so should Greer!

In my youth I usually destroyed the meaning on brianless tags. Fpr instance F**k became Rock and so forth, but the info on using wipes or alco gel appeals to me....

maybe you should think that it could be an idiot of any age.

Shame on you Angela!!!

Angela from OZ grow up!!

Hey Angela
I completely agree
You are a disgrace to the Camino with your vacuous pen
Why do think you are entitled to deface Spanish cultural property ?
You must have learnt nothing on the Way
Fool

And whoever wrote Love Wins over all waymarkers is a vacuous fool too
Wow such insight !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I do love the suggestions to help take part in cleaning up the Camino markers, signs etc, but honestly these three items are what is realistically needed and I do not think it practical for the average pilgrim to carry them.
Generac-5993.jpgMEK_Solvent-xl.jpg554903060.jpg
Let's hope the local governments take some of the euros made from pilgrims, and put them towards graffiti cleanup. They just simply need to look upon the money spent as normal expense to support/maintain the Camino paths. The cost of doing business. No different than say Rio with Mardi Gras cleanup, or Pamplona with San Fermin cleanup as well.

Last edited:
I was partly responsible for derailing this thread. Mea culpa. Good to see it is back to graffiti. Let’s keep it that way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’ve just joined the Camino Frances after coming off the Primitivo and walked past all of this today. I was absolutely disgusted and ashamed to call myself an Australian. I’ve got photos of 2 of them, she names herself Angela D from Melbourne Australia.

There is also some terrible, large and very regular graffiti in black and also red, all reading LOVE WINS. It’s a nice message but it is on nearly every waymarker from Melide to a little before Santa Irene . . . maybe that’s where they’re staying.

It’s been 16 years since I was on the French Way and I’m appalled, so sad for everyone else

Anyway, Beun Camino, take care
Richie

We saw the LOVE WINS everywhere as we came off the Primitivo and on to the Frances -- on every standing Camino post. I found it dismaying and completely contrary to the intended message. I'd love to find that person and see him/her have to cover up every one of those graffiti that were so offensive.

Shame on you Angela!!!

Angela from OZ grow up!!
I am an Australian that travels to Spain regularly, and I am outraged by all the Graffiti in public buildings, private homes and businesses. Spain is a beautiful country that deserves to be respected by visitors so that others can enjoy it too.
In Australia this is a shamed practice and the city I live in only has "commissioned" graffiti walls any other graffiti is a crime and is quickly removed either by the culprit (when he/she is caught) or in the cases where the culprit is not caught the government removes them at the cost of all Australians (via our tax). It is not OK and I am very upset and outraged to read that a fellow Australian has done this to the Camino. I am with you 100% this is not OK and Angela should return to clean up after herself.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am an Australian that travels to Spain regularly, and I am outraged by all the Graffiti in public buildings, private homes and businesses. Spain is a beautiful country that deserves to be respected by visitors so that others can enjoy it too.
In Australia this is a shamed practice and the city I live in only has "commissioned" graffiti walls any other graffiti is a crime and is quickly removed either by the culprit (when he/she is caught) or in the cases where the culprit is not caught the government removes them at the cost of all Australians (via our tax). It is not OK and I am very upset and outraged to read that a fellow Australian has done this to the Camino. I am with you 100% this is not OK and Angela should return to clean up after herself.

I completely agree. What she did is a disgrace.

Yeh sure someone posed as Angela D and used her mums name too. People like you and Angela give Aus a bad name

I really don't care what country, what gender, age or religion this Angela is....I bet she/he isn't scribbling all over her/his property.
I love art like the next man, but this isn't even art....this is selfishness and disrespect for your host! Leave everything as you find it so that everyone after you can enjoy it as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just hope that Angela will one day realise how damaging her graffiti is and will feel regret for the defacement she has created.

Just because it says OZ does not mean she is from Australia. Was Dorothy and the wizard from Australia????

How about we get the facts right ?
The vandalism reads Angela D Melb Australia ok !
Forget all the nonsense about someone being framed or she’s not Australian
That is as mindless as the graffiti itself

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Random personal thoughts.

Don't think Angela reads this forum.
Or maybe it was Angelo with a bad handwriting.
A penmarker is only educational in a school environment : Angela might have missed some important lessons in school so it seems...
Stupidity and entitlement are universal.

Respect your environment, your fellow pilgrim and yourself for that matter.

Are the names of all persons receiving a compostella recorded on a computerised database?

I am very tempted to get a 'sleuth' from my team at work on tracking down this culprit......... But that could start to get very messy I guess......

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Shame on you Angela!!!

Angela from OZ grow up!!
Yes I seen that And The love wins spray

I also seen a number of signs defaced calling Sarria pilgrims pussies and fake pilgrims start at Sarria 4 years since i was here most signs defaced and markers defaced , plaques missing .

I worked for a couple of years recently in an office supplies business, and there is a 'marker removal ' product. I vaguely think it might have been Croxley product.

I am very tempted to get a 'sleuth' from my team at work on tracking down this culprit......... But that could start to get very messy I guess......
Depends on how you want to run it. Is grafitti vandalism an offence in Spain?

Is grafitti vandalism an offence in Spain?
There is not a national law on graffiti, but local and province laws make it an offense virtually everywhere. In Barcelona: Depending on how much damage a writer does, they can be fined anywhere between 750 to 1500 euros. If damage is done to what Spain defines as "monuments or protected buildings", fines can be doubled, ranging from 1500-3000 euros.

Some localities in Spain have competitions for graffiti, but there is a differentiation between art and "tagging." Angela is tagging, and there are no artistic competitions for it!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We all agree that this graffiti is horrifying and wicked and I am in no doubt that is was done by a fellow Australian. I don't think there is any point in trying to pretend otherwise and it leaves me mortified.

I am glad that the thread explored some possibilities for chemicals to remove marker pen graffiti. I hope Australians going on camino soon will have a go at removing Angela's graffiti - apart from being visually offensive, it is also a continuing stain on our reputation.

I walked from Sarria in May. The "Love Wins" graffiti increasingly grated on my nerves until I reached a marker with a big black heart above the letter W (Love Wins, get it?). Painted atop the black heart, someone had written in white block letters "Hate you so much" which so perfectly captured my feelings about the Love Wins scribbler that I burst out laughing and giggle every time I recall it.

€149,-
We'll, he is Paul McCartney, after all, :eek: and he did only sign one. And it was the Penny Lane street sign. Can you imagine if Paul McCartney walked from Sarria and signed all the majones? :eek: I might be out there digging one up myself!

But Angela from Oz? Meh. Not so much. :confused:

Oh Angela from OZ, and other vandals ... If you do feel the need to mark territory, please just take a selfie and post it to instagram or write your thoughts on a piece of paper and stick it under a pebble.

Am I a hypocrite for hating Angela from OZ while I'm willing to excuse Paul from Liverpool? Watch YouTube video
Ah, @Rick of Rick and Peg, Angela from Oz is not quite in the same league as Paul from Liverpool. You can't see his graffiti which I'd call an autograph very well in James Corden's Carpool Karaoke - the pub scenes nearly made me cry ... age has crept up on so many of us ... so below is a very short close up video of his signature on the Penny Lane street sign. You have to look hard to see it, unlike apparently Angela's works.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well there's your answer - all of our friends from Australia write to the key newspapers in Melbourne and ask how her countrymen would feel if Juan from Madrid defaced say St Paul's Cathedral and the Shrine of Remembrance with "Juan de Madrid estaba aquí " in Sharpie ink?

Too late! Angela was 'ere!

Shame on you Angela!!!

Angela from OZ grow up!!
Oh oh. My name is Angela and I’m from Oz!
My husband and I walked the Camino in March/April.... It wasn’t me, I’m very glad it wasn’t there then.

I was surprised at the amount of graffiti along the way, especially the reference to melted rubber humans... talking with my Camino family one day about this topic someone suggested alcohol wipes to remove it. So we tried it on the next piece of graffiti we found and it worked!!! Obviously it didn’t work on all surfaces but for the majority we tried after this it removed the pen marker without damaging the surface! When I return next year I’ll definitely be taking a big pack of wipes to try and do my bit to remove some of this unsightly (and unnecessary) vandalism!!

Also... super embarrassed in behalf of all Aussies if this Angela from Oz or her friends were responsible for the graffiti in question in this thread :(

Thank you all the Aussies who have responded and I will be taking a packet of alcohol wipes with me on my Camino in September 2019. I feel gutted - bad enough defacing monuments/property in your own country but when you are a guest in another country - words fail me!

I feel like writing a Letter to the Editor of the Melbourne Age newspaper about this behaviour - however, I doubt the Angela in question would be reading a broadsheet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
it's not always what you leave behind that offends. Sometimes it's the things you take away with you. Biarritz Don and I put up a couple of clarifying yellow-arrow trail markers a month ago outside Ledigos and Moratinos. Both have been stolen.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you all the Aussies who have responded and I will be taking a packet of alcohol wipes with me on my Camino in September 2019. I feel gutted - bad enough defacing monuments/property in your own country but when you are a guest in another country - words fail me!

I feel like writing a Letter to the Editor of the Melbourne Age newspaper about this behaviour - however, I doubt the Angela in question would be reading a broadsheet.
But her friends might ;)

But her friends might ;)
Excellent point Jeff! You have given me the extra motivation I need to write the letter. I will run a draft past this forum before I send as there are some excellent wordsmiths here.

Good morning
Here is my suggested letter to Readers Write at The Age Newspaper in Melbourne for your comment. Rules suggest less than 200 words. Keep it simple - 1 or 2 clear points then I have to submit my name, address and telephone number at the end. I will send it in early tomorrow morning (Sunday) so hopefully it will make the Monday morning paper. Of course I will let you know how I get on.

OZ Grafitti on Spanish Camino

I am proud to be an Australian and a member of a forum dedicated to providing information for pilgrims/visitors to the ancient pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in Galicia, Northern Spain.

I was embarrassed, saddened and horrified to read a post yesterday from a pilgrim decrying the actions of an Angela D from Melb. Oz who walked on The Way on 15/6/2018 who had written various messages in marker pen all over the way markers and stones along the Camino Frances. She was so proud of them that she had written her name, home city and the date! Why didn’t she just take a photo?

As one member commented – how would Australians feel if a visitor to our country put graffiti on our sacred walks, e.g. Uluru?

Angela D. Melb. Oz 15/6/2018 your behaviour is NOT THE WAY! To all Australian past, present and future pilgrims who are great ambassadors – Buen Camino!

(Word Count: 155)

Thank you!

Good morning
Here is my suggested letter to Readers Write at The Age Newspaper in Melbourne for your comment. Rules suggest less than 200 words. Keep it simple - 1 or 2 clear points then I have to submit my name, address and telephone number at the end. I will send it in early tomorrow morning (Sunday) so hopefully it will make the Monday morning paper. Of course I will let you know how I get on.

OZ Grafitti on Spanish Camino

I am proud to be an Australian and a member of a forum dedicated to providing information for pilgrims/visitors to the ancient pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in Galicia, Northern Spain.

I was embarrassed, saddened and horrified to read a post yesterday from a pilgrim decrying the actions of an Angela D from Melb. Oz who walked on The Way on 15/6/2018 who had written various messages in marker pen all over the way markers and stones along the Camino Frances. She was so proud of them that she had written her name, home city and the date! Why didn’t she just take a photo?

As one member commented – how would Australians feel if a visitor to our country put graffiti on our sacred walks, e.g. Uluru?

Angela D. Melb. Oz 15/6/2018 your behaviour is NOT THE WAY! To all Australian past, present and future pilgrims who are great ambassadors – Buen Camino!

(Word Count: 155)

Thank you!
You could also point out that, like Uluru, the Camino is a UNESCO World Heritage Site too.

Does anybody have a photo of Angela's "artwork"?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
what I found most bizarre is this Angela dedicated particular graffiti to friends and family members. As if her dear departed granny was hanging out on the camino and would see her scribblings, and be touched thereby. What were you thinking, Angela?

I am impressed by your drive and enterprise, Hilarious. Thank you!

It would be interesting if other concerned Oz members were to write letters of concern to the Melbourne newspaper. It would raise the level of interest by the editors and lead to a bit more coverage.
I am not usually a fan of public shaming .....but make an exception in this case.

In no way do I condone graffiti along the camino and I don't appreciate what the subject of this thread did with a marker along the way, but the direction this thread is taking toward harmful online (and in newspaper print) public shaming is deeply sad. We can express disappointment with the vandalism but these attempts now to hunt down this person is alarming.
This thread and the form it's taking is challenging the well moderated, balanced, safe place I believe this forum to be.

Last edited:
In no way do I condone graffiti along the camino and I don't appreciate what the subject of this thread did with a marker along the way, but the direction this thread is taking toward harmful online (and in newspaper print) public shaming is deeply sad. We can express disappointment with the vandalism but these attempts now to hunt down this person is alarming.
This thread and the form it's taking is challenging the well moderated, balanced, safe place I believe this forum to be.
I appreciate your feedback theatregal, however, I will be sending the letter on my own behalf. This forum is not mentioned by name and Angela D. Melb. Oz 15/6/2018 is obviously not the shy, retiring type and wanted to leave her mark. She will be doing that and if the letter is published her actions may positively influence others behaviour in the future. I'd say that would be an excellent result!

Oz 15/6/2018 is obviously not the shy, retiring type and wanted to leave her mark. She will be doing that and if the letter is published her actions may positively influence others behaviour in the future. I'd say that would be an excellent result!
I agree. Publicizing elective behavior (pardon the Americanization) is not like many of the shaming activities on social media. It is an entirely appropriate response to the destructive nature of this particular person. That is my opinion, but I could be wrong...;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This has now turned into a witch hunt, continuing down this track could put this person into a depressive state this is no worse than social media bullying.

I very much doubt the Age Newspaper will publish this letter in its present form, and specifically so because it is indeed a misguided (perhaps well-meant?) attempt at public shaming of an individual who is not generallly in the public eye. It might, however, be accepted, if it were of a more general nature - without naming - and be a reflection on the issue instead. And actually, though I am saddened by the graffiti also and do not in the least condone the act, as to me I will send Angela from Melbourne some love - because you know.... about one thing she was right... love heals all. :)

€149,-
Do not judge, lest you be judged ... Please, please rethink and show compassion.

Who hasn't done something in their younger years, they would now in their wisdom be ashamed of? (even if now conveniently pushed to the back of the mind)

We can condone the behaviour, and even write about it to a newspaper if we feel this is necessary. But... we do not know anything about the person and what brought her to these misguided actions - present or previous mental health included. A suffering soul? or just ignorant?

There are so many things that evoke a similar annoyed and saddened reaction in me, endless thoughtless littering along the Camino to name one of them....

Yes, this is a sacred route... so, let's do the right thing and forgive those who act out of ignorance.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back