• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any alternative to condensed milk in a tube????

peregrina2000

Staff member
To my fellow electric coil club members, I'm looking for suggestions as I am getting down to the details of packing for my upcoming camino. My morning cup of coffee on the Camino could use a little improvement. I typically carry one of those little tubes of condensed milk to add to the coffee, because I cannot drink it black. But the of course, it is sweet, which I also don't like.

For me, sweet is better than black, so I have used the condensed milk for the last few years. But if there were a way to add milk without sweetness, that's be perfect! Any ideas? (other than non-dairy creamer, hopefully)

Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Laurie, do you have any issues with powdered milk? I have carried that on walking trips where I haven't been able to carry fresh milk, and to me it tastes a whole lot better than the coffee creamers I have tried.

Powdered milk is fine ( and fairly lightweight). My kids were raised on powdered milk during all the years we lived in Syria and Egypt. In those days, there was no other milk available. Great for making yogurt too!;) Anne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Like others said - powdered milk.

I always used to think it was rubbish, but after not having access to fresh milk, I decided to give it a try and it was less bad than I thought. I still prefer fresh milk, but it is loads better than the "creamers", which I find revolting.

A lot of the powered milk seem to be "skim-milk" versions, but I've been able to get "full fat"versions online before - I prefer my coffee with whole-milk as I think it tastes nicer, so think it's worth the effort of ordering that online vs getting the skim milk powder locally.

Laurie, do you have any issues with powdered milk? I have carried that on walking trips where I haven't been able to carry fresh milk, and to me it tastes a whole lot better than the coffee creamers I have tried.

Powdered milk is fine ( and fairly lightweight). My kids were raised on powdered milk during all the years we lived in Syria and Egypt. In those days, there was no other milk available. Great for making yogurt too!;) Anne

Like others said - powdered milk.

I always used to think it was rubbish, but after not having access to fresh milk, I decided to give it a try and it was less bad than I thought. I still prefer fresh milk, but it is loads better than the "creamers", which I find revolting.

A lot of the powered milk seem to be "skim-milk" versions, but I've been able to get "full fat"versions online before - I prefer my coffee with whole-milk as I think it tastes nicer, so think it's worth the effort of ordering that online vs getting the skim milk powder locally.

Oh, wow, why didn't I think of this? I'll get online right away! I remember that when I was growing up my mom used to mix "milkman milk" with "powdered milk" to save money. Thanks, guys! Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Laurie, I'm sure you can buy powdered milk in Spain ( go to the children's section) , without having to order it on- line! Back in the 70's it was Nido by Nestle. We bought it in enormous canisters, which made great storage containers once empty. I still see Nido here in C. R. Anne

Yes, you're right, Anne. I will look for it in Bilbao, as I see Nido by Nestle comes up in google.es in a million places. But if my only alternative is a huge can, I may be right back to the condensed milk option. Unless my walking pal Susanna wants some, too. ;)

Laurie, I'm sure you can buy powdered milk in Spain ( go to the children's section) , without having to order it on- line! Back in the 70's it was Nido by Nestle. We bought it in enormous canisters, which made great storage containers once empty. I still see Nido here in C. R. Anne
We used Nestlés 'Nido' all the time we were in N Argentina in the Chaco and the empty tins were good for storage for us too. I think it only came in large sizes but it was simply the best for mixing into drinks. I'm sure we saw some in Spain in the yellow tins with red print. (Nostalgia)
Laurie you could take some good food storage bags that re-seal and decant the powder into several to make it easier to carry. Another good make is Marvel,but I don't know if you can get it in Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OMG! You found tubes of condensed milk??? I love that stuff! We only have cans here in the states. Where can I get said tubes of condensed milk? It sounds very familiar... Maybe I found it in the UK when I was there a few years ago. Can I find it in Europe?

Well the tins we got in Syria and Egypt where enormous, but the size I see here in Costa Rica is much smaller and the powder could easily be stored on a few zip lock bags. Yes, Tia Valeria, yellow tins with red print, nostalgia indeed:)
Say hello to Susanna for me, we met up a few times on the Primitivo. Anne

Laurie you could take some good food storage bags that re-seal and decant the powder into several to make it easier to carry. Another good make is Marvel,but I don't know if you can get it in Spain.
I double bag it in snack or sandwich sized ziploc bags. I have gone to the extent of pre-mixing my instant coffee with the powdered milk, but gave that away when my granddaughter started walking with me and preferred hot chocolate. Since then, I have kept them separate.

Double bag is key. Soggy powdered milk makes a mess.

I used to carry it hiking to mix with Kraft dinner till I figured out that I can carry noodles and mix with actual cheese.

"instant coffee and powdered milk" in Spain?
You're having a laugh...
..I hope.
Lets put this into context - I said I did this on walking trips where I haven't been able to carry fresh milk. We are not as well blessed with bars and pubs here in the Antipodean bush as the wilds of Spain or England.

Last edited:
"instant coffee and powdered milk" in Spain?
You're having a laugh...
..I hope.
If you go back to Laurie's original post, it's obvious that she hopes to have a coffee before leaving the Albergue, when the circumstances prevent her from being to make one ( this happens due to the fact that there are no cooking facilities in the Albergue, or perhaps when there are too many people hoping to use the kitchen, or even there being no bar in the village)! Laurie is a well seasoned Pilgrim, who usually walks the lesser trodden trails. Anne

OMG! You found tubes of condensed milk??? I love that stuff! We only have cans here in the states. Where can I get said tubes of condensed milk? It sounds very familiar... Maybe I found it in the UK when I was there a few years ago. Can I find it in Europe?

Hi, obinjatoo, I have no trouble finding these tubes in many groceries in Spain. Several brands are available, La Lechera is one I remember.

Laurie, I've been buying and using Nido in my tea for years! I carry it with me everywhere in small zip-lock baggies. It has a real dairy flavor that most powdered milk one gets in the States doesn't have. One can also get non-fat powdered milk with that same fresh milk flavor! It's everywhere in Europe and now in the US!!
Terry

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
........and I thought the Aussies were pro-republican...!!

StephenT / NZ

........and I thought the Aussies were pro-republican...!!

StephenT / NZ
@StephenT you seem to be as well informed on this as @bystander was about QEII's tea drinking habits. The last time Australia voted on this matter at a referendum, the motion to alter the constitution to establish Australia as a republic etc was defeated.

Not wishing to derail this thread (or prolong it, as I always preferred to wait until the next pueblo, where any Spanish bar could make me a better cup than I ever could-- while I have the utmost respect for Laurie's kilometrage and common sense, we will always differ on this), I should note that one of the students who interned for me moonlighted as a temp waiter at Rideau Hall, the Governor General's official residence. Owing to the security clearance he needed for his government internship, he was detailled during the most recent royal visit to be in the team waiting upon HM & Prince Philip. HM took her tea (Murchie's CBC blend) with 2% milk at breakfast, and with lemon in the afternoon.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As to HM having milk in tea I am prepared to give way to oursonpolaire's information.
My own information is based on that from friends and acquaintances who have had the pleasure of enjoying afternoon tea with her Majesty at either Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle.
None of those have shared a breakfast table with HM at those residences.

Re drinking tea with milk -- it's like the Camino -- preferences are an individual thing - and I rather imagine The Queen would agree. ;)
...and since I'm not a man, I don't need to "man up" -- whatever that means!! again, :cool:
Terry

Re drinking tea with milk -- it's like the Camino -- preferences are an individual thing - and I rather imagine The Queen would agree. ;)
...and since I'm not a man, I don't need to "man up" -- whatever that means!! again, :cool:
Terry

Ok, well, I'll help this off-topic saunter continue -- the US Secretary of State has apparently learned the meaning of the term, since told Snowden to "man up" and come home to take his punishment. Great fodder for comedy central.

"Man up" - what does that say about courage, pain and endurance? Every woman who has birthed a baby and come back for seconds, will laugh!

Personally I change my tea and coffee drinking preferences frequently - with milk, without milk, latte, flat white, short black.
Just as we settle the argument about HM's preferences she'll probably decide on something different. Wouldn't it be a bore if people assume you always want the same thing to eat and drink?

Not wishing to derail this thread ... I should note that one of the students who interned for me moonlighted as a temp waiter at Rideau Hall, the Governor General's official residence. Owing to the security clearance he needed for his government internship, he was detailled during the most recent royal visit to be in the team waiting upon HM & Prince Philip. HM took her tea (Murchie's CBC blend) with 2% milk at breakfast, and with lemon in the afternoon.

Since we're telling stories about the Queen, here's my favorite which I first heard from Stephen McPhilemy years ago when I was in Ireland. Of course it's much funnier when told spontaneously with a proper Irish accent while enjoying a pint of Guinness ...

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/bedroom-window

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.