Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Appointment needed to go to health Center ?

beccamitch

Jan 22, 2024
Northern Ireland
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances in April/May 2024
Hiya! Quick question, in order to go to a Centro de Salud (health Center) do I need to make an appointment? I’ve got a very very painful blister that has been on and off for about 4 weeks and I’m 90% certain it’s infected. I’m in the Meseta at the min and im thinking if I were to stop in at a health Center to get advice someone should be able to help me without an appointment and it shouldn’t be too busy? Maybe I’m wrong in thinking that but the amount of people walking has defo decreased since starting the meseta. Thanks in advance for any help!! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
some and then more. see my signature.
Walk into a centro de salud. The receptionist will appoint you to a doctor or advise what to do.
Waiting should indeed be the least of your worries.
Where will you be tomorrow?
Smaller towns will not have their centro de salud open.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

good_old_shoes

Veteran Member
Jun 1, 2015
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Trier-Nancy + Le Puy-Fisterra ('17)
Aragonés ('18)
I went to the centro de salud several times over the years (Fromista, Carrion, Piedrafita, and Triacastela), and never had an appointment. It was no problem.

Ask the hospitaleros, they can tell you where to go and what's the opening hours!

Get well soon!

Reactions: naplesdon
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

DoughnutANZ

Ka whati te tai ka kai te tōreapango
Apr 16, 2019
Tamaki Makaurau Auckland, Aotearoa New Zealand
2019, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 & 2028.
In general I agree that you should just go and see what happens. Like any "free" medical care facility there tend to be queues of people waiting, many of whom will have an appointment.

Someone will triage you and the time that you spend waiting to be seen will depend both on the seriousness of your issues and the number of other people waiting.

In my experience, going to a medical centre in a smaller village resulted in no charge to me. I think that they were not used to the paperwork involved in charging me. In bigger towns where they were perhaps more used to non-EU patients I was charged.

As with many other things your experience will probably vary depending on a bunch of different circumstances.

In any case, please go see a doctor soon.

In the smaller villages go and talk to a pharmacist and they will direct you to appropriate medical care.

Maurice Frank

Camino for Community
Feb 19, 2022
Asheville, NC
Frances Sept-Oct 2023, Portuguese July-Aug 2024
I went to the Fromista (on the Meseta) health clinic last fall. A sign on the door indicated they would serve pilgrims during specific hours 9:00-10:00 AM and 18:00-20:00. I waited until 6:00 PM (18:00) and was treated for my blisters, then as directed, I returned in the morning for follow up.

My suggestion is to call ahead and find out if hours of service are restricted. Maybe it varies from place to place.

Attachments

• IMG_7228.JPG
    IMG_7228.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

James Storrie

Jun 16, 2016
Walking in July 2016
Hiya! Quick question, in order to go to a Centro de Salud (health Center) do I need to make an appointment? I’ve got a very very painful blister that has been on and off for about 4 weeks and I’m 90% certain it’s infected. I’m in the Meseta at the min and im thinking if I were to stop in at a health Center to get advice someone should be able to help me without an appointment and it shouldn’t be too busy? Maybe I’m wrong in thinking that but the amount of people walking has defo decreased since starting the meseta. Thanks in advance for any help!! :)
You will get a quicker response if you pay for a doctor's review and check than if you expect it for free.

• Haha
Reactions: DoughnutANZ
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
You will get a quicker response if you pay for a doctor's review and check than if you expect it for free.
What do you mean? There was no suggestion of getting something for free, or otherwise. It was a question about the procedure for getting an appointment.

Barbara

Veteran Member
Dec 5, 2005
France
Since 2000 French and Spanish, bikes and walking
I don't think that's invariably true or even terribly relevant. The health centre is public health care and is what you will find in a small town . If you want a private hospital or clinic then only the larger towns will have one. It will probably be easier and quicker to visit the local health centre and pay (or not) depending on your health care coverage.
What is important is to get the medical problem sorted before it gets worse. Any cost will be small, and reimbursed if you are a resident in any of the EU countries or the UK with a GHIC. From other countries you can claim on your travel insurance. You will be treated quite quickly wherever you go.

Most read last week in this forum

I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it. This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to...
I am about three weeks out on the Norte averaging close to 30 to 35 kms and at this point aside from blisters, I haven’t had a lot of physical issues. I have one week left with a flight booked...
Day four of my journey and suffering blisters, friction burns and shoe bite on feet. Boots are ankle high hillwalkers. Tended to situation using blister gel plasters and tape then double socks...
There's always somebody posting about dropping out, or taking a break because they're injured, myself included. There seems to have been a few more than usual just lately, although perhaps that's...
I've just returned from the San Salvador/Primitivo and have got Giardia from drinking untreated Water. I filled a bottle in Tineo as the Bar owner said it was good water/better than his Tap. There...
A few days ago I consulted a sports podiatrist. I knew that I had pronation in my feet, but did not know the potential consequences, probably because I thought pronation meant flat feet. I don't...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.