• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus or Taxi Ruitelán to O Cebreiro

Jen Marsden

Charging The Globe
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2016 (Walked Frances)
Sept 2019 (Planning Norte or Via De La Plata)
Hi all, I am currently on the Frances route and have irritated/torn my plantar fascia. Fun yes, however I am doing the right thing and have my foot up for a week before starting again strapped solid. Doc and physio both said NO HILLS so sadly I have to avoid the ascent into O Cebreiro. I would still like to spend the night there so I'm trying to find transport options from Ruitelán but am having trouble. Seems a lot comes from Sarria but not much going the other way. I've found a bus that can get me to Pedrafita Do Cebreiro (actually El Castro) but that would still be 5km of up to get to O Cebreiro. I'm happy to take a taxi but I have already seen quite a few pilgrims have challenges finding those in the smaller villages. Would Ruitelán be large enough to find one? Any help would be gratefully received.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry to learn of your injury.
In Ruitelan you might be able to telephone for a taxi.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Ruitelán is really tiny, your best bet might be to hitch a hike with the luggage transport vans. Buen Camino and speedy recovery, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
On occasion, I have been known to avoid the muddy hill climb up to O'Cebriero on rainy days by taking a taxi from the Hotel Valcarce (the large truck-stop hotel) where I prefer to stay on this segment. Taxis generally cost about one Euro per kilometer.

Across this Forum, and over the years, people know well how much I HATE mud. I can deal with it on flatter, sandy-soil senda trails. But the dark, loamy, material found on many of the wooded and hilly hill climbs just saps my strength and makes me prone to falls. I also hate falling. In addition to being embarrassing, weak bones evidently run in my family.

So, I choose to exercise my "smart day, brave day" axiom option in favor of being smart in these scenarios. The only time I really have to suck it up is on the stretch from Sarria into Santiago. But from there, the hills are not onerous.

From the cafe in this hotel, I just ask the cafe staff to phone a taxi to go to O'Cebreiro. It is not an uncommon thing to do. I recall it costs about €12.

On almost any day, on any Camino route, if I have a clear choice between illness or injury and skulking into the next village from a taxi, I will readily tuck my tail and skulk...:eek:

I hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Monbus offers bus service from Pedrafita do Cebreiro to Sarria via O Cebreiro. Once a day Monday to Saturday in either direction.

If there is bus service in Rutelan its offered by Gonzalez y de la Riva ... but its on demand and goes only toward Ponferrada ... somewhere you have to catch the ALSA bus (that has the license to carry passengers across the border on that route) to Piedrafita do Cebreiro (note the spelling is different).

Gonzalez y de la Riva
http://www.gonzalezdelariva.es/servicios-regulares.html

http://www.gonzalezdelariva.es/mediapool/97/978977/data/16.03.05_Horarios_Ponferrada-El_Castro.pdf

Monbus
http://www.monbus.es/es

ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/en

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a bus or taxi at Ambasmestas. The bus leaves from the hotel and truck stop, not at Ambasmestas itself. You will go to Ponferrada on the bus. Ruitelan will call for a taxi.

Hi all, I am currently on the Frances route and have irritated/torn my plantar fascia. Fun yes, however I am doing the right thing and have my foot up for a week before starting again strapped solid. Doc and physio both said NO HILLS so sadly I have to avoid the ascent into O Cebreiro. I would still like to spend the night there so I'm trying to find transport options from Ruitelán but am having trouble. Seems a lot comes from Sarria but not much going the other way. I've found a bus that can get me to Pedrafita Do Cebreiro (actually El Castro) but that would still be 5km of up to get to O Cebreiro. I'm happy to take a taxi but I have already seen quite a few pilgrims have challenges finding those in the smaller villages. Would Ruitelán be large enough to find one? Any help would be gratefully received.
Hi Jen
You should definitely be able to get a taxi from Ruitelan. Last year my mother had a bad fall while we were walking along that valley, and after making it as far as Vega de Valcarce (just before Ruitelan) we stopped there for the night and then took a taxi up to O Cebreiro the next day. The very nice owner of the local bakery (who owned the place we stayed) called the taxi for us, but I think if you stop at any bar along the way they will be happy to call one for you - they will have local numbers to hand. The drivers are local and some also transport bags for pilgrims, so you may have to wait but you will definitely get one. I don't remember the cost but I don't think it was very much. Definitely much easier than trying to figure out infrequent and indirect bus services, and worth it for the peace of mind.

Sorry to hear about your injury but it sounds as though you're doing all the right things to ensure a full recovery. Just take it slowly and rest often. Good luck!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back