• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances Guide or things Brierley never told you

Richard M.

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked September, October 2014
Will walk September October 2015
Packing

Have list of where you pack stuff in backpack. My pack has 9 zipper pockets in addition to main pack area.

Pack size depends on time of year. You need less in warmer months than winter months. I would think a 48 liter bag would be good for any time of year. Many pilgrims had 38 liter bags.

In 55 degree temperature and above shorts are preferable. You get hot lugging a 20 pound pack and hiking up hills. Get a 3 liter camelback even if you don't fill it completely. It will be flatter in you backpack than a 2 liter and easier to fill.

Use compactor bags to line back pack. Garbage bags don't last.

Need three pair of socks to ensure that you have a dry pair the next day. Socks should be low so you don't get heat rash on your ankle.

Boots should be low cut so less heat buildup except in winter.

2 sets of clothes plus rain gear are enough. Sometimes clothes do not completely dry overnight, particularly if it rains. Met one pilgrim who had no extra clothes.

Get water proof map case to carry your pilgrim passport and guide book around your neck. You will constantly be referring to your guide book as well as getting stamps when you stop. A nice feature of Brierley is that the two end flaps can be used to mark the section you are hiking that day, one flap for the map and the other for the descriptions. I cut out the section of Brierley that we did not hike to save weight.

Pack your clothes in water proof sailing bags. They are more durable and can be used on subsequent trips. They also make it easier to pack and unpack. Put labels on the bags.

Only bring sturdy web belt. Leather gets wet when it rains.

Can buy toiletries, medical supplies and hiking gear along the way. Every major town has pharmacies and a sports shop.

Hiking poles are good for your knees and build shoulder muscle. I used them for downhill mostly. Make sure they fit in your backpack

Make sure waist belt of your pack is tight so the weight of the pack is on your hips

Sierra Trading Post had great prices on gear

Camino

Late September and October are good times to hike the Camino. The weather is good and there are fewer people.

You can buy a compostela in most restaurants and hotels for 2 euro. The compostela you buy in the states is different than the one that you buy on the Camino and costs more.

Much of the Camino is hilly, particularly the part between Saria and Santiago. Hiking 14 miles on hills is significantly harder that hiking the same distance on a rail trail. Your training for the Camino should focus on hill climbing and stair climbing.

Having Google maps on a smart phone is useful for finding places. I got a SIM card in Madrid for about 25 euro which was good for a month. There aren't a lot of places that sell SIM cards in Spain so I would try to get one ahead of time. I got my sim card at the Vodafone store at located at Puerto de Sol in Madrid.

Down load and print out a Google map of the cities you think you might stop in. If you have advance reservations, pin point it on the map. Nothing like arriving by train or foot in a city and having no idea how to get to a hotel that you have reserved ahead of time.

The km markers on the Camino measure linear distance rather than actual distance. I.e. if there is a mountain between points A and B it measures the distance as if it were flat and does not take into account the extra distance if there is a mountain in between, of which there are many. The km markers are not very accurate even for linear distances.

It’s windy on the Camino. That is why there are a lot of windmills.

Accommodations

Didn't stay in hostel, but if weather is cold you need sleeping bag. Blankets are reportedly dirty in some hostels. If weather is hot sleeping bag liner is ok to use in a hostel.

Albergues (hostel in English) now cost 10 euro. A small hotel in Spanish is called a hostal or pension. A casa is an even smaller hotel or B&B. Essentially the names are a distinction without a difference, although casa is generally cheaper. A hostal or pension on the Camino with bathroom costs 40 euro. If two or three people get a room together, the incremental cost of a hotel is not that much. We only stayed in hostals and pensions as we didn't feel that Albergues would add to our experience. We had plenty of pain and discomfort without the Albergue experience.

When checking into a hotel, the custom is to show you the room first. They usually show you the less desirable room i.e. noisy or without a view. Depending on your Spanish you should almost always ask for a better room. It is expected.

There is a very nice Albergue/Hotel (A Bolboreta) combination outside Casa Nova in Remond, if that happens to work for you.. Sign on Camino says Albergue Touristic and *** hotel.

Call ahead to reserve a room/bed if the Camino has a lot of pilgrims. In late September and early October when we hiked, we had difficulty finding rooms in the major cities which are part of Brierley's stages. More availability in smaller towns. To reserve a room at a hotel is quiero un habitation para el proxima noche or something to that effect. I worked for me. Also the place you are staying can call ahead for a room, although very few people speak much if any English. Santiago is busier on the weekends than during the week. Reserve at least two days ahead of time if for the weekend. The big albergue/monastery as you enter Santiago does not take reservations.

Financial

Pretty much its cash only on the Camino. All the major towns have ATM's. You should only use money exchanges if you want to change dollars to Euros. If you just want to get Euros, use the ATM’s with a debit card. You get a better rate than at the money exchanges.

Notify your bank of your travel plans ahead of time. 50 euro notes are difficult to use so if you get them, try to use them first. Also have plenty of one euro coins so you can have exact change in a restaurant. Waiters tend to take their time coming back with change.

Actual prices on the Camino are about 15 to 20% higher than in the guides. That said, prices are about half or less than in the U.S, unless you live in NY.

Eating

Pilgrim dinners are served at albergues and most restaurants. They consist of three courses and all the wine you can drink. They cost around 9 euro. Breakfast of coffee and toast costs 3 euro. Lunch can be the most expensive meal of the day if you get a hot meal.

All major towns have grocery stores. A half pound of sliced ham at the meat counter is “quiero un medio kilo de jamon por favor” (more or less). A useful phrase. Cheese is queso and bread is pan.

Monday a lot of restaurants and shops are closed in the cities.

Train Travel

If you travel by train in Spain, use the Spanish railway site Renfe for reservations. It is much cheaper than other sites that will sell you the same ticket for much more. It is difficult to use, but persevere. Tickets are considerably cheaper 60 days in advance.

Spanish people are friendly and outgoing. They just don't speak English generally, particularly in Galicia.

Blisters

Blisters - While friction is a proximate cause of blisters, the heat caused by friction is the real problem. Going downhill where most of your weight is transferred to the ball of your foot is how most people get blisters. Knowledgeable hikers keep their feet cool by wearing low cut shoes and low cut socks. Injinji toe socks as liners cut friction between toes as well as wrapping every other toe with the white paper tape used in hospitals. Taking your shoes off when you stop to let your feel cool off and socks to air out helps. Another strategy is to make sure you walk heel first down hill.

The most used blister preventative is Compeed which is a patch you put on your foot. Another preventative is Glide. We walked in temperatures ranging for low sixties to low seventies and my feet still got hot and my socks soaked. The foregoing probably is not as relevant for winter months.

Santiago de Compostela

You can't actually see the Cathedral as you enter town from the Camino. The old town is situated on a hill and the cathedral is on the opposite side of the hill from the Camino. That of course means that when you reach the outskirts of Santiago, you will be walking mostly uphill. The outskirts of the city if you are hiking at the end of the day (when you are hiking more slowly) is about an hour away from city center. Some people stop before they reach Santiago so they can arrive in the morning when they are more refreshed. Not a bad strategy

Santiago is a beautiful medieval city and worth spending a few days there. The bus system in Santiago is pretty easy. It costs a euro. The number 5 bus goes to the bus station where you can pick up the bus to Finisterre and the number six goes to the train station. You can walk to the bus station or train station. Train station is downhill and bus station is uphill.

If you don't have a place to stay when you arrive in Santiago, go to the tourist office. There is a map of Santiago when you arrive on the outskirts, but it is best having a printout of a map of the town or gps.

The compostela office opens at 8:00 AM (at least it did when we were there). To avoid long lines, go early in the morning. We arrived at about 7:50 A.M. and waited about 45 minutes. Remember they will misspell your name as it is translated to Latin. You can buy a tube to put your compostela in at the same time as you get the compostela. Its 2 Euros and worth while.

The Parador dos Reis Catolica which is in the main square is nice to tour and they have bathrooms. Just walk in like you are a guest. No one will challenge you. They also have free meals for the first 10 pilgrims who show up for breakfast, lunch and dinner. As you are facing the hotel, go down a ramp on the left until you get to an entry way. That is where your congregate. Dinner is at 7:00 but you need to get there early.

We went to an English church service in a chapel in the main cathedral which was at 10:30. It was very moving. We also attended the service in the main part of the cathedral with the swinging incense. Having a service is Spanish is not as moving but the swinging incense is spectacular. Arrive early. Service at 12:00 on weekdays and also 7:30 on Friday.

There is a motorized tourist tram that tours the outside of the city. It leaves from in front of the cathedral on the hour and costs 6 euro. You get the view of the cathedral from the hill opposite where you come to town on the Camino. It’s the view that is on all the postcards.

Souvenirs are cheaper and more plentiful in Santiago.

Palacio Xelmirez is a free museum of modern art and the entrance is to the left of the main stairs to the cathedral. Nice bathrooms. Most of the signs in Galicia are also written in Galician. Palacio becomes Paxa and Iglesia (church) becomes Igrexia. Galician is a Celtic based language closer to Portuguese.

Finisterre

We had planned to walk from Santiago to Finisterre but blister got in the way. It also looked as if the route was quite mountainous. We did take the morning bus to Finistere and stayed overnight (highly recommended). The 9:00AM bus to Finisterre is shorter than the later ones. Some people take day tours to Finisterre which can be arranged with travel agencies in Santiago. I think you miss the Finisterre experience if you do that.

We hiked in the mountains (Finisterre is mountainous despite being on the coast) and watched the sunset from the lighthouse. It was magnificent. You can get your compostela stamped at the lighthouse for 2 Euros (the only time we paid for a stamp). You can also get your compostela stamped at the fisherman's museum in Finisterre. If you go to the light house for sunset, remember to bring your headlamp. It is dark on the way back (it gets dark after sunset). The hike from Finisterre to the lighthouse is surprisingly uphill.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ok, that is your experience and, sorry to say that, it is limited to your experience and understanding see "You can buy a compostela in most restaurants and hotels for 2 euro." Even if you mean a Credencial and not a Compostela, restaurants and hotels are not the usual spots where those are sold. I am sure there are some gems hidden in your text, but I really would have appreciated if you would have formulated in a less absolute way.
SY

@Richard M. Welcome to the forum. What an ambitious first post. I hope you continue to contribute your personal views to assist other new members. I also hope you are prepared to engage in the debate that some of your more didactic statements will generate.

BTW, asking for 'un medio kilo de jamon' will get you over a lb of ham, not the 8 oz you were seeking!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Packing

Have list of where you pack stuff in backpack. My pack has 9 zipper pockets in addition to main pack area.

Pack size depends on time of year. You need less in warmer months than winter months. I would think a 48 liter bag would be good for any time of year. Many pilgrims had 38 liter bags.

In 55 degree temperature and above shorts are preferable. You get hot lugging a 20 pound pack and hiking up hills. Get a 3 liter camelback even if you don't fill it completely. It will be flatter in you backpack than a 2 liter and easier to fill.

Need three pair of socks to ensure that you have a dry pair the next day. Socks should be low so you don't get heat rash on your ankle.

2 sets of clothes plus rain gear are enough. Sometimes clothes do not completely dry overnight, particularly if it rains. Met one pilgrim who had no extra clothes.

Get water proof map case to carry your pilgrim passport and guide book around your neck. You will constantly be referring to your guide book as well as getting stamps when you stop. A nice feature of Brierley is that the two end flaps can be used to mark the section you are hiking that day, one flap for the map and the other for the descriptions. I cut out the section of Brierley that we did not hike to save weight.

Pack your clothes in water proof sailing bags. They are more durable and can be used on subsequent trips. They also make it easier to pack and unpack. Put labels on the bags.

Can buy toiletries, medical supplies and hiking gear along the way. Every major town has pharmacies and a sports shop.

Hiking poles are good for your knees and build shoulder muscle. I used them for downhill mostly. Make sure they fit in your backpack

Make sure waist belt of your pack is tight so the weight of the pack is on your hips

Camino

Late September and October are good times to hike the Camino. The weather is good and there are fewer people.

You can buy a compostela in most restaurants and hotels for 2 euro. The compostela you buy in the states is different than the one that you buy on the Camino and costs more.

Much of the Camino is hilly, particularly the part between Saria and Santiago. Hiking 14 miles on hills is significantly harder that hiking the same distance on a rail trail. Your training for the Camino should focus on hill climbing and stair climbing.

Having Google maps on a smart phone is useful for finding places. I got a SIM card in Madrid for about 25 euro which was good for a month. There aren't a lot of places that sell SIM cards in Spain so I would try to get one ahead of time. I got my sim card at the Vodafone store at located at Puerto de Sol in Madrid.

Down load and print out a Google map of the cities you think you might stop in. If you have advance reservations, pin point it on the map. Nothing like arriving by train or foot in a city and having no idea how to get to a hotel that you have reserved ahead of time.

The km markers on the Camino measure linear distance rather than actual distance. I.e. if there is a mountain between points A and B it measures the distance as if it were flat and does not take into account the extra distance if there is a mountain in between, of which there are many. The km markers are not very accurate even for linear distances.

Accommodations

Didn't stay in hostel, but if weather is cold you need sleeping bag. Blankets are reportedly dirty in some hostels. If weather is hot sleeping bag liner is ok to use in a hostel.

Albergues (hostel in English) now cost 10 euro. A small hotel in Spanish is called a hostal or pension. A casa is an even smaller hotel or B&B. Essentially the names are a distinction without a difference, although casa is generally cheaper. A hostal or pension on the Camino with bathroom costs 40 euro. If two or three people get a room together, the incremental cost of a hotel is not that much. We only stayed in hostals and pensions as we didn't feel that Albergues would add to our experience. We had plenty of pain and discomfort without the Albergue experience.

When checking into a hotel, the custom is to show you the room first. They usually show you the less desirable room i.e. noisy or without a view. Depending on your Spanish you should almost always ask for a better room. It is expected.

There is a very nice Albergue/Hotel (A Bolboreta) combination outside Casa Nova in Remond, if that happens to work for you.. Sign on Camino says Albergue Touristic and *** hotel.

Call ahead to reserve a room/bed if the Camino has a lot of pilgrims. In late September and early October when we hiked, we had difficulty finding rooms in the major cities which are part of Brierley's stages. More availability in smaller towns. To reserve a room at a hotel is quiero un habitation para el proxima noche or something to that effect. I worked for me. Also the place you are staying can call ahead for a room, although very few people speak much if any English. Santiago is busier on the weekends than during the week. Reserve at least two days ahead of time if for the weekend. The big albergue/monastery as you enter Santiago does not take reservations.

Financial

Pretty much its cash only on the Camino. All the major towns have ATM's. You should only use money exchanges if you want to change dollars to Euros. If you just want to get Euros, use the ATM’s with a debit card. You get a better rate than at the money exchanges.

Notify your bank of your travel plans ahead of time. 50 euro notes are difficult to use so if you get them, try to use them first. Also have plenty of one euro coins so you can have exact change in a restaurant. Waiters tend to take their time coming back with change.

Actual prices on the Camino are about 15 to 20% higher than in the guides. That said, prices are about half or less than in the U.S, unless you live in NY.

Eating

Pilgrim dinners are served at albergues and most restaurants. They consist of three courses and all the wine you can drink. They cost around 9 euro. Breakfast of coffee and toast costs 3 euro. Lunch can be the most expensive meal of the day if you get a hot meal.

All major towns have grocery stores. A half pound of sliced ham at the meat counter is “quiero un medio kilo de jamon por favor” (more or less). A useful phrase. Cheese is queso and bread is pan.

Train Travel

If you travel by train in Spain, use the Spanish railway site Renfe for reservations. It is much cheaper than other sites that will sell you the same ticket for much more. It is difficult to use, but persevere. Tickets are considerably cheaper 60 days in advance.

Spanish people are friendly and outgoing. They just don't speak English generally, particularly in Galicia.

Blisters

Blisters - While friction is a proximate cause of blisters, the heat caused by friction is the real problem. Going downhill where most of your weight is transferred to the ball of your foot is how most people get blisters. Knowledgeable hikers keep their feet cool by wearing low cut shoes and low cut socks. Injinji toe socks as liners cut friction between toes as well as wrapping every other toe with the white paper tape used in hospitals. Taking your shoes off when you stop to let your feel cool off and socks to air out helps. Another strategy is to make sure you walk heel first down hill.

The most used blister preventative is Compeed which is a patch you put on your foot. Another preventative is Glide. We walked in temperatures ranging for low sixties to low seventies and my feet still got hot and my socks soaked. The foregoing probably is not as relevant for winter months.

Santiago de Compostela

You can't actually see the Cathedral as you enter town from the Camino. The old town is situated on a hill and the cathedral is on the opposite side of the hill from the Camino. That of course means that when you reach the outskirts of Santiago, you will be walking mostly uphill. The outskirts of the city if you are hiking at the end of the day (when you are hiking more slowly) is about an hour away from city center. Some people stop before they reach Santiago so they can arrive in the morning when they are more refreshed. Not a bad strategy

Santiago is a beautiful medieval city and worth spending a few days there. The bus system in Santiago is pretty easy. It costs a euro. The number 5 bus goes to the bus station where you can pick up the bus to Finisterre and the number six goes to the train station. You can walk to the bus station or train station. Train station is downhill and bus station is uphill.

If you don't have a place to stay when you arrive in Santiago, go to the tourist office. There is a map of Santiago when you arrive on the outskirts, but it is best having a printout of a map of the town or gps.

The compostela office opens at 8:00 AM (at least it did when we were there). To avoid long lines, go early in the morning. We arrived at about 7:50 A.M. and waited about 45 minutes. Remember they will misspell your name as it is translated to Latin. You can buy a tube to put your compostela in at the same time as you get the compostela. Its 2 Euros and worth while.

The Parador dos Reis Catolica which is in the main square is nice to tour and they have bathrooms. Just walk in like you are a guest. No one will challenge you. They also have free meals for the first 10 pilgrims who show up for breakfast, lunch and dinner. As you are facing the hotel, go down a ramp on the left until you get to an entry way. That is where your congregate. Dinner is at 7:00 but you need to get there early.

We went to an English church service in a chapel in the main cathedral which was at 10:30. It was very moving. We also attended the service in the main part of the cathedral with the swinging incense. Having a service is Spanish is not as moving but the swinging incense is spectacular. Arrive early. Service at 12:00 on weekdays and also 7:30 on Friday.

There is a motorized tourist tram that tours the outside of the city. It leaves from in front of the cathedral on the hour and costs 6 euro. You get the view of the cathedral from the hill opposite where you come to town on the Camino. It’s the view that is on all the postcards.

Palacio Xelmirez is a free museum of modern art and the entrance is to the left of the main stairs to the cathedral. Nice bathrooms. Most of the signs in Galicia are also written in Galician. Palacio becomes Paxa and Iglesia (church) becomes Igrexia. Galician is a Celtic based language closer to Portuguese.

Finisterre

We had planned to walk from Santiago to Finisterre but blister got in the way. It also looked as if the route was quite mountainous. We did take the morning bus to Finistere and stayed overnight (highly recommended). The 9:00AM bus to Finisterre is shorter than the later ones. Some people take day tours to Finisterre which can be arranged with travel agencies in Santiago. I think you miss the Finisterre experience if you do that.

We hiked in the mountains (Finisterre is mountainous despite being on the coast) and watched the sunset from the lighthouse. It was magnificent. You can get your compostela stamped at the lighthouse for 2 Euros (the only time we paid for a stamp). You can also get your compostela stamped at the fisherman's museum in Finisterre. If you go to the light house for sunset, remember to bring your headlamp. It is dark on the way back (it gets dark after sunset). The hike from Finisterre to the lighthouse is surprisingly uphill.

Welcome to the forum, Richard,

Thanks for your insight, but lots of that JB mentioned too ;) I'm no advocate of him if I may add.
Nevertheless there are some very welcome info for first time pilgrims, especially on CF, that you've put in your post.

Ultreia!

Nevertheless there are some very welcome info for first time pilgrims, especially on CF, that you've put in your post.
I think identifying the gems will be difficult.

For example, many of the OP's suggestions just seem to add unnecessary weight:
  • a pack with nine zipper pockets. How much extra did that weigh over a simple, clean design with fewer pockets.
  • how much was he carrying that he couldn't remember where he had put it, and needed to label bags to find it?
  • he suggests using a pack liner and 'sailing bags', whatever they are. That sounds to me like overkill. One or the other maybe, but both?
  • suggesting a map case to carry one's credential and guidebook, rather than carrying them in very light, ziploc bags.
  • carrying what might be an excessive amount of food. Half a kilo of ham is enough for me for several days. Not only that, it wouldn't last in my pack. Was there 500 gm of cheese as well? A kilogram of food!
My immediate thought was with all the extra weight that he might have been carrying, it was no wonder that he got blisters and couldn't walk to Finisterre.

I think it is great that Richard is prepared to share his personal experiences and observations, but as noted above, they are just that, and there will be members, like me, who won't agree with everything he had to say.

I think identifying the gems will be difficult.

For example, many of the OP's suggestions just seem to add unnecessary weight:
  • a pack with nine zipper pockets. How much extra did that weigh over a simple, clean design with fewer pockets.
  • how much was he carrying that he couldn't remember where he had put it, and needed to label bags to find it?
  • he suggests using a pack liner and 'sailing bags', whatever they are. That sounds to me like overkill. One or the other maybe, but both?
  • suggesting a map case to carry one's credential and guidebook, rather than carrying them in very light, ziploc bags.
  • carrying what might be an excessive amount of food. Half a kilo of ham is enough for me for several days. Not only that, it wouldn't last in my pack. Was there 500 gm of cheese as well? A kilogram of food!
My immediate thought was with all the extra weight that he might have been carrying, it was no wonder that he got blisters and couldn't walk to Finisterre.

I think it is great that Richard is prepared to share his personal experiences and observations, but as noted above, they are just that, and there will be members, like me, who won't agree with everything he had to say.
Very true again! I just didn't want to get in the jaws of other forum members. Instead I kind of supported OP's intention. Anyway those are his remarks and no-one shoud stick to them. Even more so - if you'd know just everything what would you learn then? You have to make a mistake to learn for yourself ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very true again! I just didn't want to get in the jaws of other forum members. Instead I kind of supported OP's intention. Anyway those are his remarks and no-one shoud stick to them. Even more so - if you'd know just everything what would you learn then? You have to make a mistake to learn for yourself ;)
Don't get me wrong. I think is is great to have @Richard M.'s personal contribution. I hope he continues to contribute when the many individual issues he has touched on in his post are raised as questions in the forum, and joins in the discussions that arise in that context.

I think that is an AWESOME first post!! Welcome to the forum!! I do not agree 100% with everything you listed, but if we all agreed, the world would be a boring place :) If you ever go again, take your shoes and socks off every 2-3 hours, this will get the wrinkles out of your socks which can cause blisters. Might not be fool-proof, but I walked the entire Camino with only 1 blister, that was the day I didn't listen to my own advice :(

Lots of good advice here. But Any list of advice for the Camino is always going to be a personal thing. For instance I wouldn't advise poles (unless you suffer an injury and need the support) or a camelback water container.
I don't think that you need lists, labels or packing bags unless you have too much stuff.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Also avoid discount outdoors equipment like the plague. You will only need a few items of equipment. Buy the best.

@Richard M. Welcome to the forum. What an ambitious first post. I hope you continue to contribute your personal views to assist other new members. I also hope you are prepared to engage in the debate that some of your more didactic statements will generate.

BTW, asking for 'un medio kilo de jamon' will get you over a lb of ham, not the 8 oz you were seeking!
Thanks, I already have an opinionated reply to my opinions. My post would be more helpful to someone who is not a veteran as it is pretty simplistic. That is the intended audience. I can't imagine I would want to debate someone who knows far more than I do about the camino.

Packing

Camino

Accommodations

Financial

Eating

Train Travel

Blisters

Santiago de Compostela

Finisterre

Having been to the light house for sunset (wonderful experience!), it would seem more like a day-hike getting there from Fisterra! We took a taxi near sunset and he was good enough to come back to us an hour later.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lots of good advice here. But Any list of advice for the Camino is always going to be a personal thing. For instance I wouldn't advise poles (unless you suffer an injury and need the support) or a camelback water container.
I don't think that you need lists, labels or packing bags unless you have too much stuff.

My knees gave out (for the first time ever) 4 days from SJPdP.. Saying that, having poles was a must. Through the muddy paths and steep descents, they kept me balanced with no slipping/sliding.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experiences - please keep doing that when new pilgrims ask questions!
I'd like to point out though, for the benefit of the new ones, that most albergues do not cost ten euro, many cost less, and most of them do not serve food!

I agree that this is a good plethora of personal experience information but I'd be afraid of calling it "beginners" info. That would imply that it is more universal than it is, and more simplistic than it is. Perhaps this is my own methodology, but when talking to beginners, I prefer the KISS method (Keep it Simple Stupid).

Know what time you are going on the Camino, research and prepare for weather
- Also, bring rain gear regardless of time of year, its a "you never know" that could ruin a good day if you don't have it
Don't carry too much (Keep the weight of EVERYTHING you carry at 15%-20% of your healthy/near ideal body weight)
Don't bring overly complicated equipment (zippers are heavy, the amount of stuff you should carry should be easy to navigate in the dark, etc..)
If you only need it one off or its a item that need replenishing, there will be cities/towns to buy things in

Remember that prices fluctuate depending on the region of Spain, the year, and the Camino you are walking. I wouldn't tell beginners specific prices, merely historical ranges, so they don't prepare for a price and then are left with little money near the end of the Camino.

There is a lot in your post that is confusing, or overly complicated or specific. I wouldn't tell beginners specifically where to buy their gear, or what specific gear they'll need to have as everyone is different. There are some things you will always want to have (A bag, clothes, something to hold water in) and there are things that can vary depending on time of year (Sleeping bag or light liner). Only by knowing exactly when a person plans to do the Camino, how much they can afford to spend, what they can carry and what their limitations are, can they get such specific advice as the type of belt or the store to buy from. I would also simply caution them to use the advice of the Office of Tourism in the big towns for finding things like extra Credentials (I think you said Compostelas) and what not. These are typically in the Municipal Albergues, but could also be gotten in the Offices themselves. I never really found a bar or shop that sold them.

I like your post, as it shows a desire to continue on and keep the Camino in your life, which I whole heartedly support! But be careful, newbies can be steered the wrong way and get conflicting information from posts that don't have all the right information. Most of us just use personal opinion in these situations, so everyone can see YMMV. I recommend sticking to that method.
Thanks for the data!

Poor guy! Unfortunately there are so many errors in his post. I feel sorry, because he has obviously put a lot of effort into the long epistle. What can I say? There are far too many comments that unfortunately I feel like commenting on, that I will make only one observation at this point: a Credential is what you need at the beginning if your Pilgrimage and not a Compostela, which is what you receive from the Pilgrim Office, at the end of your Camino. Two totally different documents. Anne

WOW! The veterans have stuck it into you, but don't worry, keep posting. It's always good to have new people posting and you have walked the Camino so you are entitled to post your opinions.

They get stuck into me also when I bring up my pet hate of walking poles being used by people who don't need them. But being a true pilgrim, I turn the other cheek.

Also avoid discount outdoors equipment like the plague. You will only need a few items of equipment. Buy the best.

Here I have completely different experiences, especially when it comes to clothing. For my last walk I bought two no-name/no-brand walking trousers from the discounter for around 15 Euro each. They were still in tip-top condition after more than 3,000km. Also my walking pole was from a, different, discounter. On the other hand, I really spend serious money on my tent. I would say "know what you need and buy what you need for the best price that you can find". Expensive doesn't always equal best because in a lot of cases you pay a heavy extra just for the name/brand and not so much for the quality. Just my opinion, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Packing

Camino

Accommodations

Financial

Eating

Train Travel

Blisters

Santiago de Compostela

Finisterre

this is pretty good, cheers!

Poor Richard M. !

"No good deed goes unpunished" springs to mind

Yes, there are empirical didactic statements in his screed that have provoked disagreement but there are also lots of helpful hints.

The terminology may not always be precise and accurate but all the commentators above did, despite that, understand what he was trying to say.

I am sure that any novice using this site (that's me!) would not rely on just Richard's posting for all their research and information but would look at and "fillet" other contributions in order to make their preparations and packing plans.

But, Richard, welcome to the forum and thank you.

My knees gave out (for the first time ever) 4 days from SJPdP.. Saying that, having poles was a must. Through the muddy paths and steep descents, they kept me balanced with no slipping/sliding.
Absolutely. The experts say that poles save 25% of effort on the legs. I didn't believe this until I did the Camino in Oct 2013. I could feel that using the poles gave me an upper body workout and definitely saved my legs some effort. As you rightly say, they are also incredibly good for helping get down some of the more difficult downhill sections. I was a sceptic about using poles before my camino, never again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My two cents...I walked the Camino from September 24 to October 31 and the weather was ideal; in fact, it did not rain at all in the entirety of Galicia until the evening of my arrival in Santiago. I had my credential from Americans on the Camino and it cost nothing, though I made a donation. Where I differ from Richard is in his assessment of the albergues; I found them functional, of course, but at times I found them highly memorable and moving places--Granon, Tosantos, and Guacelmo are the three that come to mind. If I walk the French Way a thousand times I would stay at those three, all donativo. I loved them and their hospitality. The idea of the albergues is to provide a pilgrim with just enough to rest for the next day of walking. It makes sense to me.
I think the main point missing from Richard's post is people. The Camino is the people who walk it daily. I've made two presentations about my Camino experience and I focus on the people I met, fellow pilgrims from all around the world making their way with a single purpose. Anyway, my thoughts for what they're worth the frigid early January morning.
Mark, the English prof.
P.S. Redmond? I'll have to look that up.

I would love to know what kind of backpack your using. 9 zippers?!!! Forget the list, you need a gps for that sucker :D

Ah yes. That is the nature of forums. Lots of different people from all over with lots of different opinions. And a few who think their way is the only "right" way. As is said frequently, read everything, don't take any comments too personally, and then figure out what works best for you. Everyone's Camino is different.

Enjoy yours in your own way.

Cheers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would love to know what kind of backpack your using. 9 zippers?!!! Forget the list, you need a gps for that sucker :D
In defense of zipper pockets; I miss them. My earlier pack had them and they made it much easier to find things (once you got so you remembered what was in each pack - takes a couple of days). No digging around the main bag trying to find something.

But, they add to weight, so my current pack has none. But, I do miss them.

Karl

Packing

In 55 degree temperature and above shorts are preferable.

I would like to make a small plea for shorts and short sleeved shirts never being preferable, unless you are indoors. Skin cancers are epidemic, and walking a camino means days of exposure to the sun. It is of utmost importance to be protected, top and bottom. That sunburn, or even that tan, has very unpleasant consequences down the road. I speak from experience.

Opinions are like certain orifices. Everyone has several and assorted ones. We all got to be "veteran" members the old fashioned way. We tried, succeeded or failed, made adjustments, then repeated the experience. Over time, our solutions gradually conformed to our INDIVIDUAL needs and desires.

We shared our experiences over time here in the forum. That's what makes it such a good place for so many of us who have the "Camino bug." It stands to reason that a person new to the Camino will have opinions based on their relative level of experience and personal biases. They too will get to where we are eventually.

Albert Einstein is reported to have stated that his definition of insanity was to repeat doing the same thing, over and over again, and somehow expect a different outcome. Similarly, continually doing the Camino without adjusting one's approach, gear, effort and attitude creates the same paradigm. So, we evolve. We change, accept advice and helpful tips from wherever it comes...charitably I would hope. As a result, our subsequent Camino experiences are more positive.

Remember when YOU were a novice? We all made mistakes. Some of us, myself for example, made more than my share of "tenderfoot" errors in judgement. But, we all learned from those mistakes. I laugh at some of my earliest screw-ups. We grew as pilgrims and as human beings as a result.

Finally, what is Camino Rule Three? As I recall learning the informal "rules" along The Way it is something along the lines of: "I should not judge another. All pilgrims must walk their own Camino."

As I recall:
Rule One was "the Camino provides..."
Rule Two was "St. James works in strange ways, and sometimes his ways are really weird..."
Rule Three (see above)
Rule Four was "treat others the way you would be treated (an adaptation of the Golden Rule)"
Rule Five was "leave the Camino better than you found it...pack your trash out and tell others to please do so."

I forget the rest of it. But I am sure someone, somewhere has cataloged these "rules." I defer to their superior grey cells.

But I digress. I hope this helps the dialog.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
"We only stayed in in hostels and pensions as we didn't feel that Albergues would add to our experience. We had plenty of pain and discomfort without the Albergue experience."
Sad sad sad

George

Hola Richard,
Welcome to the forum.
You'll get plenty of healthy debate here on a variety matters relating to the Camino (and life so that matter), but of course some things are more important to some than to others and you've shared a raft of the things that are important to you, and some have heartily disagreed.
That's OK, that's what we do here.
Sometimes we think we have said it just right but others soon let us know that they think we haven't. Again, that's OK, we all seem to do it, done it recently myself.
Anyhow, on the plus side; man you've got a great "Likes to Posts" ratio going there, "muy buena".
Buen Camino
Colin

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here I have completely different experiences, especially when it comes to clothing. For my last walk I bought two no-name/no-brand walking trousers from the discounter for around 15 Euro each. They were still in tip-top condition after more than 3,000km. Also my walking pole was from a, different, discounter. On the other hand, I really spend serious money on my tent. I would say "know what you need and buy what you need for the best price that you can find". Expensive doesn't always equal best because in a lot of cases you pay a heavy extra just for the name/brand and not so much for the quality. Just my opinion, SY
You know what you are looking for and can make good decisions on discounted items. A good policy for the less experienced might be to shop at a reputable specialty shop.

Nops, sorry, I disagree. The best is to ask other pilgrims about their experiences with certain items of equipments as they don't want to sell you anything. Shop assistants usually do want to sell you things. I am also not speaking about discounted items, I was speaking/ writing about no-name/brand items like clothing.
Just my experience, SY

Thanks, I already have an opinionated reply to my opinions. My post would be more helpful to someone who is not a veteran as it is pretty simplistic. That is the intended audience. I can't imagine I would want to debate someone who knows far more than I do about the camino.

Thank you Richard for the generous amount of time and thought you put into your post, for the benefit of others planning their first trip.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one "problem" i think with asking for experiences is that lots of people not just give advise and share their experiences (which is excellent!!!!!), but start advocating a certain brand or way of doing things....sometimes even like they are almost getting payed for it. This is all fine for something unimportant like (tech) tshirt A or B, but for certain things (like shoes) people do not need advocating. They need read experiences and nothing more. After that they need to find out what works for them and not just go out and buy whatever they have read here or what the shop assisant wants to sell. Shoes or boot and sock combinations are way too personal to just "trust" someones word for it. Your feet, arent't my feet, aren't their feet.

This also goes for a thing like treating or preventing blisters. What works for me, might not work for you. If your bery unlucky, my way (or someone elses way) might just make things worse for you.
Read the experiences amd then try and see what works for you. Don't believe just one method, just because somebody walked a blisterfree camino. That attitude is probably gonna bite you in the ass.

So for all new camino walking investigators, please remember, there is no ONE right way, there are several, you just have to find YOUR right way. This goes for shoes, socks, backpacks, blisters ect ect....the more important thing, so not about the brand of toothpaste you buy or what the tube weighs :)

Maybe there should be a sticky...or two (or maybe there is?) where people can share experiences about their great and awfull shoes, boots, socks, blisters ect, so that people searching for info can read in one thread all the stories about that item and then just pick out what they think might be helpfull for them. I know there are lots of threads with all the shoe, backpack and blister experiences in 'm, scattered all over the forum, but a sticky for these important basic things might not be so bad? I mean, how many times do people ask the same questions and get the exact same answers?
Food for thought.

Last edited:
"We only stayed in in hostels and pensions as we didn't feel that Albergues would add to our experience. We had plenty of pain and discomfort without the Albergue experience."
Sad sad sad

George
But still, staying in albergue is a fun experience in itself.

I love my privacy and i stay in private rooms, casa rurals, hotels ect now and then, but i wouldn't want to miss the albergue atmosphere. Thats one of the places where the magic happens :) ;-)

Accommodations - We only stayed in hostals and pensions as we didn't feel that Albergues would add to our experience. We had plenty of pain and discomfort without the Albergue experience.

While I feel Richard M. has been treated very harshly for this post, I will have to chime in when it comes to not having stayed in albergues. The rest, well, all little issues. Staying in albergues is to me what makes it the Camino the Camino. Otherwise just a long walk you can be doing anywhere in the world and there probably are much prettier walks the the CF elsewhere where you can stay in B&Bs.

Further more, Implying that algergues cause pain and discomfort is just not right, nor fair. Some of the albergues offer not only comfort, but care, shared life experience from/with the hospitalero, information on little spots not to miss that you otherwise would and generosity, including in the private albergues. It is also where you can get to know fellow pilgrims, get help from them, and help them, break bred together and discover the humanity that unites us.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I didn't read this thread until today, but being a frequent pilgrim (but only twice to SdC), this prayer came to mind...

"If some things do not happen as they are scheduled, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim not a tourist!
If I should get tired and inclined to become short-tempered, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim not a tourist!
If my meal in a foreign country may not be to my particular liking, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim not a tourist!
If any delays should occur and I should become anxious, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim not a tourist!
If some other pilgrim is making noise so that I cannot hear the guide, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim and not a tourist when I ask that person to be a bit more quiet!
If someone takes a better seat or more choice place, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim not a tourist!
If I find myself last in line waiting, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim not a tourist!
If I should get a chance to help another person, who always seems to be annoying me, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim not a tourist!
But Lord, especially let me remember that what I find objectionable in another is really what you oftentimes find objectionable in me and let me remember this and forgive the other, as you are continually forgiving me!"

Welcome to the forum Richard. It is nice that you made this post with helpfulness in mind. Sometimes we can all post something which we believe to be true but which may not be completely correct. It is good that there is usually someone can respond with more accurate information. As has been said and as you no doubt have come to realise, there are many viewpoints on almost every subject. So it is also good that we can express our opinions, have others input their's, and so in consequence others are able to make their own decisions. This forum has a sometimes instant and vibrant nature which can lead to offence being felt where it may not have been intended. I hope that any comments that have been made do not discourage you from continuing to helping those asking questions.

This also goes for a thing like treating or preventing blisters. What works for me, might not work for you. If your bery unlucky, my way (or someone elses way) might just make things worse for you.
Read the experiences amd then try and see what works for you. Don't believe just one method, just because somebody walked a blisterfree camino. That attitude is probably gonna bite you in the ass.

So for all new camino walking investigators, please remember, there is no ONE right way, there are several, you just have to find YOUR right way. This goes for shoes, socks, backpacks, blisters ect ect....the more important thing, so not about the brand of toothpaste you buy or what the tube weighs :)

These are very important points, me thinks: to finding YOUR right way ....
(which is often fraud with lots of detours and round-about until one finds one's way. Hence I usually work from the premise of knowing oneself ... and start from there.)
Before the camino, i did not know the first thing about anything related to blisters .... never heard of liner-socks... or body-glide or considered prancing around the landscape with hiking poles.
But I knew how I was wired, and hence knew I would benefit from hiking poles even though i never used them before. Or I knew that my feet were more on the pampered side and would not take kindly to 'toughening up' measures or walks beyonds a certain kilometer range. - I've read lots about the blister care here on this forum, mainly because i was so clueless; and i was especially impressed by what for e.g. falcon wrote about those liner socks, body glide, etc. Not because i felt THAT was the only way or the best way ... but the most suitable approach to how my feet are/were and that i'd be wise to at least start with that 'technique' ... and then see how far that will get me. As with much in life, it's so much about 'live and learn'. And it was a smashing success - no blister on the entire camino.
Either I was lucky or I listened well :)

Thus, it always starts with knowing oneself the best one can ... and proceed from there. I know I am a light-sleeper, i.e. bringing several ear-plugs is essential and it would be foolish of me to listen to writers who assured other readers that they had no probs of sleeping and one wouldn't need earplugs. (as an example)
If you don't know yourself well (for whatever reason) - be prepared for a very steep learning curve on the camino. It's easily a crash-course on 'getting to know yourself' :)
(which is one of the many hidden gifts of the pilgrimage)
I'd be just weary of anyone making absolute statements ... be it in regards to a belief system, blistercare or bread!
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Packing

Camino

Accommodations

Financial

Eating

Train Travel

Blisters

Santiago de Compostela

Finisterre

Thanks for the post. It's the exchange of experiences, and opinions, that provide the best conversations!

Thank you Richard M for surviving your posting ! I took it to be a reflection of your experience, and enjoyed reading it. :)
I rather prefer the perspectives of "bystander" and "Peter Rennie" to that of others who feel the need to attack your post.
I am a 'newbie' and am hopeful to make my way on the Camino in 2016.
Thanks for your insight.

[...]If you don't know yourself well (for whatever reason) - be prepared for a very steep learning curve on the camino. It's easily a crash-course on 'getting to know yourself' :)(which is one of the many hidden gifts of the pilgrimage)
It doesn't have to be a crash-course, but "un homme averti en vaut deux" (that's for those who insist starting in SJPP :D) Most of us have probably done some serious hiking before walking to Santiago and "listened" to their body. All other updated advice necessary for now, with a bit of searching, is on this forum.:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experiences - please keep doing that when new pilgrims ask questions!
I'd like to point out though, for the benefit of the new ones, that most albergues do not cost ten euro, many cost less, and most of them do not serve food!
I nearly choked when i read that remark, but otherwise thought Richards posting was very comprehensive and helpful for a new pilgrim like me. I was wondering if other experienced pilgrims could comment on what albergues typically cost. If 10 euros isn't that far off the mark then I might be a very broke pilgrim this May!
Do the prices vary much, depending on area or quality of accommodations or location? I would also greatly appreciate any comments/advice as far as budget per day, for normal days and for an extravagant day, and by extravagant i mean, if i were to choose a pension or non-albergue accommodation for one night etc.

I probably haven't found the discussions on albergues yet but i'd love to be able to research what albergues exist on the way and see details including, ratings if available to help figure out where would i most likely need to make reservations, if necessary at all. I am walking from SJPP May14-JuneXX, (however long it takes, June 30th departure from Lisbon.) Any suggestions on getting from Santiago de compostella to a lovely beach in Portugal post-camino?

Thank you for taking the time to help,
Sarah

I nearly choked when i read that remark, but otherwise thought Richards posting was very comprehensive and helpful for a new pilgrim like me. I was wondering if other experienced pilgrims could comment on what albergues typically cost. If 10 euros isn't that far off the mark then I might be a very broke pilgrim this May!
Do the prices vary much, depending on area or quality of accommodations or location? I would also greatly appreciate any comments/advice as far as budget per day, for normal days and for an extravagant day, and by extravagant i mean, if i were to choose a pension or non-albergue accommodation for one night etc.

I probably haven't found the discussions on albergues yet but i'd love to be able to research what albergues exist on the way and see details including, ratings if available to help figure out where would i most likely need to make reservations, if necessary at all. I am walking from SJPP May14-JuneXX, (however long it takes, June 30th departure from Lisbon.) Any suggestions on getting from Santiago de compostella to a lovely beach in Portugal post-camino?

Thank you for taking the time to help,
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I use a couple of apps and their associated websites for this information.
www.wisepilgrim.com and www.trekopedia.com are very good. You can look for specific albergues, for specific towns, and they have stages of the Camino Frances to give you an idea as to distances. The albergues have cost per night and hours of operation as well as what facilities they offer.
I hope this helps!

Ron

Hi Sarah,

I use a couple of apps and their associated websites for this information.
www.wisepilgrim.com and www.trekopedia.com are very good. You can look for specific albergues, for specific towns, and they have stages of the Camino Frances to give you an idea as to distances. The albergues have cost per night and hours of operation as well as what facilities they offer.
I hope this helps!

Ron
Wonderful, thank you Ron.
Buen camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great post, Richard M. Very informative and much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

I am a bit confused as to the vitriol espoused in some of the replies; seems personal rather than constructive.

Of course, people always have different opinions on what is needed / necessary. In any post I just think that it is important to take what you find useful and move on from that which you find useless, unimportant.

I am thankful that this forum exists and for all of the wonderful information that can be found here (regardless of whether I agree with everything I read on it).

I am a bit confused as to the vitriol espoused in some of the replies; seems personal rather than constructive.
Regardless of one's opinions on the opinions, it is factually true that Richard posted, made one response, and has not been back to the Forum since the day he joined. Unless he is a troll (with 29 likes, not everyone thinks he is), he left because of the responses he received. Some of the negatives he has never read.

All experts none of you ever make mistakes ?

All experts none of you ever make mistakes ?
More times than i can count hahaha, but we learn from each others mistakes, right?

I didn't read this thread until today, but being a frequent pilgrim (but only twice to SdC), this prayer came to mind...

"If some things do not happen as they are scheduled, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim not a tourist!
If I should get tired and inclined to become short-tempered, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim not a tourist!
If my meal in a foreign country may not be to my particular liking, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim not a tourist!
If any delays should occur and I should become anxious, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim not a tourist!
If some other pilgrim is making noise so that I cannot hear the guide, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim and not a tourist when I ask that person to be a bit more quiet!
If someone takes a better seat or more choice place, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim not a tourist!
If I find myself last in line waiting, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim not a tourist!
If I should get a chance to help another person, who always seems to be annoying me, Lord, may I remember that I am a pilgrim not a tourist!
But Lord, especially let me remember that what I find objectionable in another is really what you oftentimes find objectionable in me and let me remember this and forgive the other, as you are continually forgiving me!"

Thank you so much for this Peter!

Regardless of one's opinions on the opinions, it is factually true that Richard posted, made one response, and has not been back to the Forum since the day he joined. Unless he is a troll (with 29 likes, not everyone thinks he is), he left because of the responses he received. Some of the negatives he has never read.
Maybe. Still I think that it is important that others tell their (diferent) opinion because as somebody who is still in the planning stage I might take some RM statements at their face value. Discussion is always good.

They get stuck into me also when I bring up my pet hate of walking poles being used by people who don't need them. But being a true pilgrim, I turn the other cheek.
Really wonder how you can tell who does need walking poles and who doesn't? Can you tell if the person has passable balance only because of the poles and would trip over and fall downhill without them? Especially when tired. (Me). Or that somebody's knees will crack after a week without the extra support? (My friend). Are you clairvoyant?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Really wonder how you can tell who does need walking poles and who doesn't?
I have been using poles for nearly twenty years. I have only met one person who needed them. I was describing the value of the poles to him, and he was stating how he did not need them. A minute later, he tripped on a tree root, and planted his face in the gravel with the full force of his pack behind it. I spent a half-hour digging the dirt out of his cuts, then we moved on.

He needed poles, and is the only one I can say for sure needed them except for myself!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using poles for nearly twenty years. I have only met one person who needed them. I was describing the value of the poles to him, and he was stating how he did not need them. A minute later, he tripped on a tree root, and planted his face in the gravel with the full force of his pack behind it. I spent a half-hour digging the dirt out of his cuts, then we moved on.

He needed poles!;)
So a person has to fall face in dirt and cut badly right in front of you, if they have done it elsewhere on their own, it doesn't count? Ridiculous.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So a person has to fall face in dirt and cut badly right in front of you, if they have done it elsewhere on their own, it doesn't count? Ridiculous.
Thanks for the post. It's the exchange of experiences, and opinions, that provide the best conversations!

Sea Horse , please walk the camino it is a very different place.
Bud Please walk the camino
Richard, i think you are a teacher ?
or
Someone who had there bags carried the whole way , or drove in a car or read a book on the camino and never walked..
As Falcon said .......no appearance YOUR HONOUR since Jan 13th
Few people speak english, ?????????? where were you?????
In the States you can buy a Compostela for $2.....................lock him up.
Spain is 1,000 years older than the States............yes they do have pharmacies in the towns.
Most of the camino is hilly especially between Sarria and ..............didn't he do the first 80km.........how was Molinaseca ???????.......he must have used a taxi from Madrid.
Didn't stay in Hostels ..........BUT the blankets were dirty in hostels....???????????????
Have one dollar coins so you have the exact amount in a restaurant..............comes from the States and does not tip , OMG
They don't speak english especially in Galicia??????? How was the Basque??????
Got a bus to Finisterre {Galicia] yet tells us that from Sarria onwards where 200,000 people walk each year they don't speak english ???????OMG.
Finisterre is hilly even though its on the coast???????????Why is it so green in Galicia??????
It is surprisingly uphill from Finisterre to the lighthouse???????? Richard imagine a ship in heavy seas looking for a beacon on the beach , common sense , high accessible point.
I tell my bank manager nothing , you tell you credit card supplier where you are going and when.......how simple is that.

The hardest degree in the world is common sense ....................no uni teaches it........****************** please forum members who have never walked this lovely path......just go and enjoy.
DougFitz, SY and Falcon..................he is a teacher guys,no worries on that score.
He had his bags carried the whole way............put the money on it lads.
The only place he recommends is near San Xulian [MMDD Page 88] and this is off the track.
I think Sarria was the commencement.
Now Ivar will ban me........hoo roo

Last edited:
So different that the ones who have walked gain the insight into other people's body functions? Scary. But sure, I will walk. And test if I tooafterwards can see who needs poles, who needs just some manners.

Bud Please walk the camino
Richard, i think you are a teacher ?
or
Someone who had there bags carried the whole way , or drove in a car or read a book on the camino and never walked..
As Falcon said .......no appearance YOUR HONOUR since Jan13th
Few people speak english, ?????????? where were you?????
In the States you can buy a Compostela for $2.....................lock him up
Spain is 1,000 years older than the States............yes they have pharmacies in the towns.
Most of the camino is hilly especially between Sarria and ..............didn't he do the first 80km.........how was Molinaseca ???????.......he must have used a taxi from Madrid.
Didn't stay in Hostels ..........BUT blankets were dirty in hostels....???????????????
Have one dollar coins so you have the exact amount in a restaurant..............comes from the States and does not tip , OMG
They don't speak english especially in Galicia??????? How was the Basque??????
Got a bus to Finistarre {Galicia] yet tells us that from Sarria onwards where 200000 people walk each year they don't speak english ???????OMG

The hardest degree in the world is common sense ....................no uni teaches it........ please forum members who have never walked this lovely path......just go and don't listen to this two bob expert.
Doug, SY and Falcon..................he is a teacher guys......no worries........no debates. no conversations and may i add this
He had his bags carried the whole way............put the money on lads.
Now Ivar will ban me........hoo roo
Thornley, exactly the reason I have decided to take a step away from the Forum for a while and just be a lurker. There are too many trolls this time of year and I was posting stuff in response to some really idiotic questions and answers that I thought would get me banned as well. I only posted this message in support of your thoughts, now I'll go back to my hermitage:rolleyes:.

Its getting hot in here hahaha.

lets talk about the weather. How is it on the camino? Still snow "everywhere"? Curious, you never know i might put my walking shoes on when weather is nice.

Weather is rainy, ugly, grey in Prague. I wish I would be on the Camino, no matter how the weather is there! SY

It feel like spring here also, but is it still winter on the camino? Or even better, where on the camino has spring shown here face?

€46,-
And our local weather forecast for tomorrow predicts SUNSHINE :cool: SY

I've yet to walk on the camino but I take from this forum what seems reasonable for me. I also read sites where thru walkers contribute, Amazon and other specific gear reviews, podiatrist sites, Spanish sites, camino/PT/AT walker YouTube videos, camino guides, personal experience camino books etc. Probably not unlike a lot of people. I take it all in and am making up my own mind based on my own situation. I will try out all my gear before going but with the knowledge that you cannot prepare for everything. That's the down side but also the adventure.
I appreciate Richard M's willingness to share his experience. I hope he is not discouraged by some of the responses he got.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My two cents...I walked the Camino from September 24 to October 31 and the weather was ideal; in fact, it did not rain at all in the entirety of Galicia until the evening of my arrival in Santiago. I had my credential from Americans on the Camino and it cost nothing, though I made a donation. Where I differ from Richard is in his assessment of the albergues; I found them functional, of course, but at times I found them highly memorable and moving places--Granon, Tosantos, and Guacelmo are the three that come to mind. If I walk the French Way a thousand times I would stay at those three, all donativo. I loved them and their hospitality. The idea of the albergues is to provide a pilgrim with just enough to rest for the next day of walking. It makes sense to me.
I think the main point missing from Richard's post is people. The Camino is the people who walk it daily. I've made two presentations about my Camino experience and I focus on the people I met, fellow pilgrims from all around the world making their way with a single purpose. Anyway, my thoughts for what they're worth the frigid early January morning.
Mark, the English prof.
P.S. Redmond? I'll have to look that up.
I will be walking the Camino from SJPDP to Finesterre around the same time you did last year. It was encouraging to hear that the weather was dry. Did you need a heavy jacket?

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back