• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino inglés in December

Luis Branco

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Jacobi. Future Geneve to Santiago
Good afternoon everyone . I'm planning to do the English way in the first week of December. Thanks to those who already did, any feedback on whether the hostels will be open? and bars restaurants? Thank you very much in advance.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The Xunta albergues will usually be open in December. But it is worth checking that the albergue you are aiming for isn't closed for repairs or maintenance which tends to take place during the winter. Bars and restaurants on the Ingles will be probably be open - on the Ingles most bars cater mainly to local people and therefore are not seasonal in their opening hours. Very different from the Frances.

Last edited:
It's a great walk. It will take a bit more planning and that's where the Wise Pilgrim app will help. Each night, you plan to see what's ahead, what's open. I wrote a book about walking in winter that might help too. It's on Amazon - called "Buen Camino! Tips From a WINTER Pilgrim."

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Stop at Casa Avelina just outside Hospital de Bruma. Bar run by two sisters, Avelina & Mari Carmen, so gentle, welcoming and hospitable.
We stopped off here in 2019 and the sisters were so kind and welcoming. It was a wonderful experience. I fully recommend it.

Good afternoon everyone . I'm planning to do the English way in the first week of December. Thanks to those who already did, any feedback on whether the hostels will be open? and bars restaurants? Thank you very much in advance.
My daughter and I did the Camino Ingles in early December 2017 and had no problems finding places to stay, etc. But that was pre-pandemic, so things might be different now. We stayed in small hotels and pensiones, not public albergues. We figured out day to day our destination then called a day ahead to see where we could sleep that night.
We had just finished walking from Lisbon and had time before our flight home, so did the Ingles without any specific plan. We stopped by the tourism office and another pilgrim related office in Santiago and got info about the route and lodging then winged it. People were super nice up there but it’s not the Camino frances in terms of amenities. We did see a few other pilgrims, but not many. Most days we were on our own. We enjoyed stopping and chatting with the locals though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's a great walk. It will take a bit more planning and that's where the Wise Pilgrim app will help. Each night, you plan to see what's ahead, what's open. I wrote a book about walking in winter that might help too. It's on Amazon - called "Buen Camino! Tips From a WINTER Pilgrim."
I’ve just finished the Inglés today. Be prepared for wet weather. This week has been continuous rain since Wednesday. At the moment it’s warm enough but in the winter wet and windy weather could be dangerous. Unfortunately, the Wise Pilgrim app for the Camino Inglés is out of date and in places, the quoted distance between towns is wildly inaccurate. I was warned of this by @wisepilgrim, so it will be updated at some point.

Until then. I recommend the Buen Camino app for this particular route. It takes a while to get used to its quirks but it is very accurate. Finally, I was impressed by all the Xunta investments in the CI: the new network of water fonts, QR codes on places of interest, and the new/refurbished Albergues. Modern, clean, and comfortable for €8! Despite (or because of) the weather, this past week has been a perfect Camino. The Inglés has all the highs and lows of a longer route but packed into 5 or 6 days. A perfect essence of the Camino! 😀

Last edited:
Exactly what GregorMC said. I also did the CI this week despite heavy rain from Thursday - not too fun! Most of the lodgings and cafes on the route don't feel particularly pilgrim driven...especially as I've opted for private lodgings. So I have a feeling these places might be open for locals regardless. The Buen Camino app was very useful, but it takes a few tries to get used to the weird layout. Don't give up! Especially the variations are very good. Luckily I had very good cell reception most everywhere, so could always find my way with the help of the app, especially where yellow arrows failed on variations.
You don't have to carry too much water with you (fountains every 5km and they often list the distance to the next official fountain too!) but I would definitely carry ample snacks, especially for days 3 & 4, as I didn't find much food options. I was also very grateful for my 2 min noodles on 2 occasions, where I would arrive hungry at my lodgings at 4pm, but dinner wouldn't really be accessible until much later.

I am considering the English way last week of February 2023, would appreciate tips and advice--- weather, lodging and packing
Thanks!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello there!
starting from Ferrol on december 2nd!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.