• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Catholic Priests wanted for 2016

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Camino Outreach Programme

Priests who have made the pilgrimage to Santiago are sought to provide a voluntary pastoral service including daily mass and confession for pilgrims based in locations along the Camino Francés. The minimum commitment is two weeks. Applications for longer placements of up to 6 months are very welcome from priests who are retired or on sabbatical. Accommodation is provided.

Further information: www.caminochaplaincy.blogspot.com or caminochaplaincy@gmail.com

Attachments

• Chaplaincy sello.jpg
    Chaplaincy sello.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 6
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I shared this on my FB page and will share with Brooklyn parish here. Good friend is a Paulist who might really enjoy this. And then, I know a chunk of Norbertines..... Thank you! Tree

I sent the link to our son in Seminary at St Augustines in Toronto and to our parish. I think it might prompt a real response but who knows. This is great idea and my hat is off to the people who run this.

Well done!

Mark

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You might get in touch with the Royal English College (for the training of Catholic priests) in Valladolid (www.sanalbano.org) to send them the info (or let them know about it) and see whether they are interested and/or they can send it to (other) people that might be interested.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Question: Any ministry options for ordained Catholic Deacons?

Not one myself but know one who has walked CF twice from sjpp.

Has a lot to offer.

D.

Thanks for these helpful suggestions. The recruitment campaign for 2016 is under way with adverts in the religious press and information circulated through Religious Orders, dioceses, the country seminaries in Spain etc. The number of applications already received is very encouraging.

Priests planning a pilgrimage often read this forum and I am hoping that as part of their planning they could add some time on at the end of their Camino to put something back in the unique way that priests can.

Next year the Camino Chaplaincy will continue in Santiago and we also hope to offer an outreach programme opening some of the formerly closed churches along the Camino Frances to start with.

At this time there are no plans to offer placements to Deacons but that is very much in our thoughts for the future.

Also the Camino Chaplaincy currently cannot offer placements to those other than Roman Catholic priests. I have begun a discussion with a few key organisations about the feasibility of supporting ministers of other denominations in providing a ministry to pilgrims - we would love to be able to engage the many offers of help we have received from female Anglican priests in particular. However we simply do not have the resources to expand the service as yet.

... Also the Camino Chaplaincy currently cannot offer placements to those other than Roman Catholic priests. I have begun a discussion with a few key organisations about the feasibility of supporting ministers of other denominations in providing a ministry to pilgrims - we would love to be able to engage the many offers of help we have received from female Anglican priests in particular. However we simply do not have the resources to expand the service as yet.

Excellent news! If you need a contact person in the CoE I can put you in contact with somebody there that speaks Spanish and is interested in this topic. Buen Camino, SY

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Excellent news! If you need a contact person in the CoE I can put you in contact with somebody there that speaks Spanish and is interested in this topic. Buen Camino, SY
Thanks. There have been some discussions with the Bishop of Europe's office and various others in the Anglican network. This moves slowly. One of the major considerations is whether there would be sufficient pilgrims who would wish to benefit from an "other than RC" ministry. We'll see - at least discussions are under way.

[QUOTE="JohnnieWalker, post: 359810, member: 853"At this time there are no plans to offer placements to Deacons but that is very much in our thoughts for the future.[/QUOTE]

What about opportunities as a visiting pilgrim deacon to serve at a Mass?

Without intruding into @JohnnieWalker 's field of expertise, if you are an ordained Roman-Catholic deacon with the papers to proof it you just address yourself to the pilgrims office who will point you to somebody in the Cathedral sacristy and you will be able to serve at mass. Buen Camino, SY

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Visiting priests and deacons who wish to participate in mass at the High Altar in the Cathedral of Santiago are asked to go to the sacristy 15 minutes before the mass begins. Celebrets are required. Outside the Cathedral they should simply ask the presiding priest in the usual way.

Visiting priests and deacons who wish to participate in mass at the High Altar in the Cathedral of Santiago are asked to go to the sacristy 15 minutes before the mass begins. Celebrets are required. Outside the Cathedral they should simply ask the presiding priest in the usual way.
@JohnnieWalker and @SYates --- Thank you! In 2013, I carried papers with me, but as all the Masses were in Spanish, which I don't speak, I did not seek out the chance to serve. That pilgrimage was the first time since my ordination where I didn't serve, and it was on par with missing my wife!

I didn't know there was an English Mass or I'd have asked to serve there. Sadly, as I couldn't find an English speaking priest, I couldn't even make my Confession until I returned to the States, so I greatly appreciate and laud your work to provide this service!

Given the impracticality of schleping vestments across Spain, can I assume there are dalmatic, alb, cincture, and stoles available, or do I need to plan for some/all (shipping to Ivar to store till I arrive)?

There is always a spare alb around somewhere in a vestry, it might not be your size and it might look humorous, but how cares really? Buen Camino, SY

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
There is always a spare alb around somewhere in a vestry, it might not be your size and it might look humorous, but how cares really? Buen Camino, SY
I walk with a silver-coated umbrella attached to my backpack. How much more ridiculous can I look in a mini-skirt or a muumuu?!

Wearing the mini-skirt AND the muumuu AND the silver-coated umbrella at the same time? *ducks, runs and hides*
SY

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.
Hi my name is Bren I have started a daily AA English speaking meeting At 3Rua da Porta da Pena Casa Anglicana 6-7pm daily. Spread the word
Hello, so my plans have slightly changed after completing the Coastal Portuguese and Finisterre/Muxia caminos on June 13. I now have 2 extra days in Santiago and was wondering where I should head...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back