• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Christmas gift for a future pilgrim

leftbehind

My father-in-law plans to do the Camino (please excuse if I have the jargon wrong) next summer and I would like to get him a gift this Christmas to help him amass his supplies. I thought first of a backpack but changed my mind as I understand that needs to really fit him... same with boots/shoes... so what would you suggest? Sleeping bag liner? Travel towel? I can't spend more than $90 US. Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What an awesome gift that would be! A silk sleeping bag liner would be wonderful too.
If you gave him all that you could add a card that said: Now all you need is a backpack, three pairs of socks and a pair of shoes/boots, and you'll be set!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A few US dollars converted to euros might be nice too... :) Although there are ATM's in the major airports knowing you don't have to rush to find one when you land is nice. :D

Everyone's equipment list is different, so you probably need to survey the recipient. This is MY experience with these items:

1. Head light Used once in a dozen caminos for an early morning walk. Other pilgrims find them very irritating when used in a dormitory.
2. Compeed, vaseline, sunscreen, Used every camino.
3. $40,00 Voucher to a local outdoor store
4. Quick dry towel I have several different sizes. The largest is best.
5. Needle and thread for blisters Never took or used. Thread is a controversial blister treatment, as is breaking the skin on a blister. Let a blister rest overnight, then put on a Compeed.
6. Travel journal and pen Never took, but I do not write paper journals.
7. Safety pins (to use as clothes pegs) Never took. My twisted elastic clothes line works in albergues and on my pack.
8. Mug/cup I have carried on every camino, but used it about once each walk.
9. Carabiners (For attaching stuff to you pack) Carried, but never used. Dangling items don't work well for me (it makes using a poncho or pack cover difficult), and there is space for everything inside my pack.
10. Ear plugs Used every night. About four pair of foam ear plugs last me for the entire camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A really good silk liner is expensive and would make a really good gift. It can be ordered online so you don't have to have an quality outdoor close by.
I carry a sea-to-summit brand which is very light, warm and packs into a fist size bag.
Many people tend to go with lesser liners because of price so this would be welcome.

Here is a link to the REI page with the silk liner:
http://www.rei.com/product/695429/sea-t ... r-traveler

One big advantage to REI is the return policy. No questions...so if it is not the right thing he (or you) can easily return it and get something else or a refund.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What great responses! Thank you!

I realized belatedly that I left out what might be pertinent details. My fil is over 70 years old and while in good shape I do not believe he has ever done a trek like the camino. As such he is probably only going to do the last bit- I believe he told me this was 6 days long? Though there has been talk of doing the 10 days walk. He doubts he will have the time/money/ability to do it again, so my mother-in-law doesn't want him buying a bunch of expensive equipment for a one-shot deal. I see her point but don't want any gear malfunctions to detract from his pilgrimage, which is why I want to treat him as best I can. My father and husband will most likely accompany him, which is why their pilgrimage will have to wait until all are free, June 2013 at the earliest.

I am not local to any gear shops so I have to order online and deal with the pitfalls. I made many pitfalls this past month when I first thought of buying a backpack for him. I ordered one but upon arrival my husband deemed it "too small." I took that to heart and ordered a second, this one 82L. Yes, yes, laughable in hindsight. :lol: At which point I discovered this forum and have been pouring over it ever since.

I'll be traveling several hours away this weekend and will be returning the "too small" backpack in person to REI and will look at silk liners, water bladders, quick dry towels, etc. I just received in the mail a coupon for a gear store a few hours from here and might try to check that out this week.

Memory cards and sunglasses would be a good idea but I'd really rather he pick those out himself as I find glasses need to fit as well as backpacks and boots and I have no idea what camera he has. The euros would be a fantastic idea but I have no idea how to go about doing that in my location... I will have to investigate that.

I am picturing artfully wrapping whatever it is I get him with twisted clothes line, safety pins, carabiners (all of which I already have to share with him) and then a "bow" made of an assortment of packages of compeed, vaseline, ear plugs. This will be such fun!

I will look into a guidebook but I need to investigate what he already has/has read in that category. He is so enthralled with this pilgrimage he is like a teenager looking forward to getting his driver's license! I'm sure you all here know the feeling :D

And those pacerpoles!!!!!! Will have to clue him into those when we visit at Christmas!

Check your bank or other banks in town for the Euro's. Small branches may not be able to order them but larger ones should. If they can't get them they should know who can even if its the competition.

I was thinking a floppy hat or Ferrino Poncho wiuld be good gifts as well. If he likes wine why not prep him with a bottle of Spanish imported. How about Spanish lessons!?!?!!

Just a thought. How fit is he? Have you thought of sending his luggage ahead each day with one of the people providing such a service? If so them he only needs a day pack as any container will work for him. Is he staying in Albergues? If not then he will not need towel, clothes line etc.
allan

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Al the optimist said:
Just a thought. How fit is he? Have you thought of sending his luggage ahead each day with one of the people providing such a service? If so them he only needs a day pack as any container will work for him. Is he staying in Albergues? If not then he will not need towel, clothes line etc.
allan

And you could keep the "too small" backpack as the day pack.

I think it was nice of you to order him a backpack.
But that is one item a person MUST try on for themselves - such an important piece of equipment - it MUST fit or the trip will be miserable.

There are some great ideas here.

One thing I used often was my "buff."
A gift certificate for some New Balance Walking Shoes would be nice. That is an expensive but necessary item.
A Rosetta Stone course if he doesn't speak Spanish or a course at a local community college.

It is very possible to have too much in your backpack!
Whatever you do decide to buy him, please make sure it is small and lightweight!
Merry Christmas!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I definitely endorse the buff. I soaked it at every opportunity and wore it under my hat with the "tail" hanging down my neck. It helped me keep cool and kept the sun off my neck as well.
We all face the "What can I buy the for Christmas" problem. Walkers are easy though - there is always something we want! (My family bought me the plane tickets).
allan

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Dear all, as I intent to bring a tent I would be very grateful if you could share some of your tips on how to keep the total weight down or even your own packing list. Currently I am about to...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.