• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cool and fun tools (gift for mom)

jorritdv

Time of past OR future Camino
?
Hello,
I am a son to a mother who loves hiking and is planning a lot of fun trails including this one. As it is nearly christmas, I would like to buy her a gift related to this. So I would like to ask you guys (professional backpackers and hikers) if you know any items or tools I could buy for her. She already has the most essential tools. I am looking for something fun or extra to bring on her trails.
Thank you!!

(thanks for all the replies, very useful!)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello,
I am a son to a mother who loves hiking and is planning a lot of fun trails including this one. As it is nearly christmas, I would like to buy her a gift related to this. So I would like to ask you guys (professional backpackers and hikers) if you know any items or tools I could buy for her. She already has the most essential tools. I am looking for something fun or extra to bring on her trails.
Thank you!!
@jorritdv that is a lovely thought. I don't know your budget, but something small and meaningful could be a credential that you can order from Ivar 's store on this website. Other ideas include a lip balm, sunscreen stick, sun visor or hat combo pack? All small and easy to carry and important for the outdoors. Maybe a pilgrim shell. I am not sure if you can get one from Ivar, but he also used to have pilgrim patches for a backpack. I have one on my pack. I am a Mom and treasure anything that was given to me by my child or grandchild.

You are looking for a Buff. It is a tube with many uses. Buff is a trademarked name so you can find similar items with other names such as neck warmers or neck gaiters or many others. They can be plain or have many designs printed on them. I have seen some in physical stores with hiking or nature themes. Ivar's online store has a number of these with a camino theme. The link below brings you to his store's collection.

I used the forums search engine to get a list of threads with buff in the title to give you an idea of how useful they are. The link is temporary so future readers of this thread will have to rerun my search.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would get her the Altus raincoat/poncho. It's a great lightweight alternative to a traditional poncho.

Hello,
Thank you!!

A nice thought..........but.
Personally, something fun or extra would get left behind........ ;)
Camino gear is a very personal choice. :rolleyes:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@jorritdv , I speak from the perspective of somebody who's just being trying to give his own son ideas for Christmas!

Whether for the hiking trail or the Camino - which are very different - overall I have to agree with @Robo on this. If as you say she's already got all the basics, then she has everything she needs. Many of us carry a luxury item or two, but those items are generally very individual. They also depend a little on the trail being walked - for example a number of members on here carry a water heating coil and a cup on some of the lesser travelled camino's. Not something you need on the Frances or the Portuguese! The only thing I can think of that she may use on the camino but is unlikely to have for hiking is a super light mini daypack. On camino you're staying every day in accommodation so your pack stays there and it's useful to have a super light day pack for wandering around town, shopping etc. Mine is 18l, weighs 120g.

Most of us are more likely to shed Gear rather than add something new -
remember wether on trail or on Camino we all want to keep the weight of our packs down as much as possible.

However....
Hiking trails are somewhat different to the Camino. (Assuming you're not just talking about day/ weekend hiking, but actually going off for a week or more and camping. I've never hiked in the Netherlands so I have no idea.)
Clothing remains much the same, but my trail pack is a lot larger than my camino Pack. On trail I need my tent and sleeping pad, plus a better sleeping bag, and a water filter. I also need cooking Gear. (Some only eat cold, I am not one of them) Has she ever mentioned that any of these items could be improved on or upgraded? For example she might be happy with her old stove but the new ones are much smaller and way lighter. The MSR Pocket rocket for example. They're not extremely expensive either. Ditto with the water filter - as great as the Sawyer mini is, the Sawyer squeeze is significantly better. If she's already got one consider getting her a gravity feed system for it. Light, but so, so practical!
Cup and cookpot - titanium is way lighter than aluminium.

Good luck

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,
Thank you!!

What a wonderful gesture! I agree with @JWilhaus regarding the credencial.
I also read some of the more lengthtier answers and though I agree somewhat with the content not to bring extras I applaud your question.
I am also thinking of a book that she can read beforehand and leave at home while walking.
I notice you are from the Netherlands. The Dutch Confraternity has a decent webshop.
They also have guidebooks for local pilgrimages, like het Kloosterpad.

Enjoy shopping and happy Christmas.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,
Thank you!!
Perhaps something personal would do such as a shell which she will carry signed by you and other loved ones. She will carry all of you with her in this special way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
1) Personalized water bottle. For example, a standard bottle like Nalgene decorated with a sticker of something your mom loves. Flags, flowers, etc, or something custom that you design - my husband had a cute cartoon of our cat.

2) Personalized phone case. You can buy a clear case and decorate the back with a small montage of favorite family photos. A reminder of home and a good conversation starter, too.

3) For home, a Christmas tree ornament to remind her of adventures past and future. This one is a beauty.

When I walked the Frances last year, I wore the lovely sterling camino pendant my husband had given me for my birthday. It is such a special token for me, since it traveled with me (I never took it off) and reminded me of my husband’s “presence” and love. (I walked without him.) You can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/244802857/

It’s still hanging around my neck, albeit on a different chain, along with the St. James cross I got when I arrived in Santiago.

That is Absolutely the best post ever on this forum!!! 😂 😂 😂 ❤️ ❤️ :eek::-(
😊 🙏 Thank you David. I have submitted the video before but this one has more footage of the victim after the reveal.

Because of my search for the Carbonaro Effect YouTube fed me an even funnier one about a pet store device. I cracked up at the victims' reactions, the kennel and the expression on the man in the background's face. Either look for YouTube video id Hb7hz3WseZk or search for Carbonaro Effect pet store.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How about a dry bag, some detergent sheets and my instructions for washing clothes in a dry bag?

I use a ultralight 12 liter Osprey dry bag (weighs 1.2 ounces) as my portable washing machine.

I put my clothes in it as I'm getting into the shower with water from the shower as it's warming up. I add half of a laundry detergent sheet (some brands are Breezeo and Tru Earth)

Then I seal it up and give it a few shakes. I then set it aside for everything to soak while I shower and dress.

Then I shake it a bit more to agitate the clothes in the bag before dumping it out in the laundry sink and rinsing. The detergent sheets don't make a lot of suds, but get the clothes clean and it's easy to rinse out.

After wringing the clothes out as best I can I wrap them in my towel and twist it to get out more water before hanging them to dry.

Because of the long soaking time, this method gets my clothes cleaner with less effort than when I used just the laundry sinks or tubs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well that is seriously sad - you love them so very little that you cannot be bothered to listen and hear what they want? Seriously? Surely this is humour? Please, tell me this is humour!
Sorry it’s not. They would all prefer to buy their own gifts and I’m more than happy to oblige them. They are the ones who wanted to get their own gifts. I used to always buy gifts and they ended up on the floor of their closets. If you say oh they buy gifts for me again, sorry you’re wrong as I’ve told them all I do not want any gifts for any holiday or my birthday. Love them little, sorry again you’re wrong they’re my life. if giving up my dream job because I had to travel so much and not being able to be home and taking care of my daughters when they were babies or being there coach through high school in basketball volleyball and soccer, and taking every single vacation I had with them and helping with their homework every night or being the one who was woken up in the middle of the night when they were sick and taking time off of work to take care of them, or taking a second mortgage and cutting my retirement savings significantly so they could attend college and graduate school is not loving them enough please tell me what is.oh yea if I don’t love them
Enough why is dad the first one they call for advice? I would bet the remainder of my savings if you suggested to them that their dad didn’t love them
Enough or asked my wife the same they would say something similar to the following statement: I don’t think it’s wise to personalize responses about someone’s life whom you know nothing about. Except of course for my younger daughter who knowing her would give you an unprintable response.

Last edited:
I applaud @jorritdv 's efforts to personalize a gift. When I am stuck for ideas, I go to the boring idea of socks. There are many cute designs, and there is always another type/fabric/thickness of sock that is worth trying, but she might not bother to buy herself.

Give her your credit card.
Well, for a son's gift to his mother, that doesn't seem appropriate. (I would use my own credit card, anyway. I have a higher limit than my husband does.)

Well that is seriously sad - you love them so very little that you cannot be bothered to listen and hear what they want? Seriously? Surely this is humour? Please, tell me this is humour!
What rubbish! Surely you do not support the idea that love can be measured by the wrapped-up gifts that are given at Christmas. The culture and significant of gift-giving is very different from family to family, so you shouldn't make assumptions. Surely this, too, is humour, no? I guess we must all be humourless people, as it doesn't seem to have anyone RTFL (rolling on the floor laughing 🤣 🙄).

When I was preparing for my first camino, several people gave me well meaning gifts they thought would make my trek better. I took them (and the extra weight) not wanting to hurt their feelings, but I carried them all the way to Santiago without using a single one of them once. For my second camino, I was firm with everyone, NO GIFTS! Weight reduction so I could carry my pack without difficulty was more important. If the person is going to forward their pack, this is less of an issue. If they are going to carry... it's the world. I personally would appreciate a gift card to REI or MSR or some other outdoor company more than a well intentioned but unwanted gift.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello,
Thank you!!

(thanks for all the replies, very useful!)
A plane ticket?

As mentioned earlier, the Altus poncho is great! The shop in Santo Domingo only had a red one when I very happily replaced my traditional poncho (which was useless in the wind) during an especially stormy day. For our latest walk, I gave the red one, which made me feel just a little too red, to my son-in-law, and bought a dark blue one for myself which I love.

I also love the dry sacks (multiple sizes and colors makes packing and unpacking and packing and unpacking every day a little more organized).
Dry Sack.png

Another favorite gift in our family is a small backpack (similar to the one in the video), just in case one decides to have one's larger pack transported on those days when the temp reaches 107 degrees.

zomake .png

A promise to pay for a nice hotel room or a parador somewhere along the trail is also nice (you don't want to reserve too far in advance because it puts too much pressure on being someplace on a specific day).

Great idea to ask for gift suggestions! If only I knew what to get for my own Mom! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.