• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Clearing Customs in Madrid?

rogerlynn

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Greetings!
I will be flying into Madrid on September 6, 2023, scheduled to arrive at 8:05am on United. What is a reasonable amount of time to allow for baggage claim and clearing customs? I would like to catch an 11:45am flight to Bilbao, but not sure if that allows enough time. Thanks for any help you can offer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do you have to check in for your flight to Bilbao or is it all one ticket? Either way, there should be lots of time to deplane, collect luggage, check in and drop off your luggage and have a snack before boarding.
Buen Camino!

Greetings!
I will be flying into Madrid on September 6, 2023, scheduled to arrive at 8:05am on United. What is a reasonable amount of time to allow for baggage claim and clearing customs? I would like to catch an 11:45am flight to Bilbao, but not sure if that allows enough time. Thanks for any help you can offer.
It sounds like more than ample time provided there are no major flight delays getting into Madrid. My wife and I cleared customs there, albeit coming from CDG as our last transit, so we were already on the Schengen side of the airport. But it is a pretty dispersed airport, and so while there might be some small delays in moving baggage and people around, nothing that I think would take up the time you have between flights.

When we went through, customs appeared to be on a self-declare model, with either some random or perhaps targeted checking. It didn't delay us, but there were passengers being pulled aside for checks. We didn't stay around to see how long this took.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We landed Tuesday at 6:45am ,went from terminal 4s to terminal 4 as quick as we could, not rushing, we were through immigration/customs in 2 minutes, first time there was no line for us in our last 2 visits.

Do you have to check in for your flight to Bilbao or is it all one ticket? Either way, there should be lots of time to deplane, collect luggage, check in and drop off your luggage and have a snack before boarding.
Buen Camino!
I do need to check in for flight to Bilbao - it's not connected to my flight from US to Madrid.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greetings!
Even I, who have been known to overnight rather than chance a connection on a separate ticket, think that’s OK

Yes, as long as your flight is on time or they don't change it, you will be ok. Just an FYI, the airlines has changed our tickets 3 times for May and we purchased them in February.

Greetings!
When I walked the Camino del Norte I had a connecting flight through Madrid to San Sebastian. I flew Iberia to Madrid and had an Iberian Express (may have been Vueling) flight to San Sebastian. The flight was delayed and a 3 1/2 hour window was shrunk down to an hour. I told the flight attendant and she asked my name and flight and told me to see the customer service person waiting at the end of the ramp after we deplaned. She gave me a pass that got me to the front of the line. What probably would have been a 20-30 minute wait as customs was packed. I went out and into 4A and had to go through security again. That too was a long line but the pass got me right through. It is a really long walk through that huge terminal to get to Iberia Express or Vueling gates. Even with the pass when I arrived the plane was almost completely boarded. Without that pass I would have never have made my connection.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone - we leave in a week for our Camino. Flying direct from Dulles to Madrid with just our backpacks - I.e. no checked luggage. We were originally booked on an Iberia flight to Pamplona that left at noon, but then Iberia changed the flight to a time that now actually leaves before we land at 0805. :) So we now have a train ticket from the Atocha station at 1035. Will likely taxi from the airport to the train. We are currently booked in seats close to the front of the plane. Barring a delayed arrival, I am hopeful that we will catch our train.

Any recent travelers into Madrid who can share their immigration timelines?

Thanks and Buen Camino!

Hi everyone - we leave in a week for our Camino. Flying direct from Dulles to Madrid with just our backpacks - I.e. no checked luggage. We were originally booked on an Iberia flight to Pamplona that left at noon, but then Iberia changed the flight to a time that now actually leaves before we land at 0805. :) So we now have a train ticket from the Atocha station at 1035. Will likely taxi from the airport to the train. We are currently booked in seats close to the front of the plane. Barring a delayed arrival, I am hopeful that we will catch our train.

Thanks and Buen Camino!
I went through customs 2 nights ago, it was at 23:00 and zero line so I breezed through. The lady didn’t even ask me why I was in Madrid or any other question she just stamped my passport and off I went. The line for the taxis was very long and intimidating at first but it moved at lightning speed.

I am currently in SJPP trying to sleep with little luck, due to my excitement to begin tomorrow.

Buen Camino!

I wouldn’t say this is typical, but this is my experience from September 2022 (I copied it from my journal).

I got off the plane at 6:35 and by 7:15 I had been through immigration, taken the train to the main terminal T4, gone through the vaccination check, taken the commuter train to the Chamartin train station, and was drinking my first cafe con leche.

And I don’t think there’s any vaccination check anymore! Atocha is a few stations beyond Chamartín, but if you’re as lucky as I was, you’ll be fine.

I think that it’s really the luck of the draw with the other international arrivals. If you arrive when several planes are deplaning, you may get really unlucky.

A tip for navigating Madrid airport — take the elevator, not the escalator. Some of the escalators are three stories and take a lot longer than the elevator.

Good luck and keep your fingers crossed!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I went through customs 2 nights ago, it was at 23:00 and zero line so I breezed through. The lady didn’t even ask me why I was in Madrid or any other question she just stamped my passport and off I went. The line for the taxis was very long and intimidating at first but it moved at lightning speed.

I am currently in SJPP trying to sleep with little luck, due to my excitement to begin tomorrow.

Buen Camino!
Thanks! And enjoy your journey!

I wouldn’t say this is typical, but this is my experience from September 2022 (I copied it from my journal).

I got off the plane at 6:35 and by 7:15 I had been through immigration, taken the train to the main terminal T4, gone through the vaccination check, taken the commuter train to the Chamartin train station, and was drinking my first cafe con leche.

And I don’t think there’s any vaccination check anymore! Atocha is a few stations beyond Chamartín, but if you’re as lucky as I was, you’ll be fine.

I think that it’s really the luck of the draw with the other international arrivals. If you arrive when several planes are deplaning, you may get really unlucky.

A tip for navigating Madrid airport — take the elevator, not the escalator. Some of the escalators are three stories and take a lot longer than the elevator.

Good luck and keep your fingers crossed!
Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From wheels down to standing at the taxi queue was 1 hour for me last month. I was seated at the very back of the plane, but only one other flight had arrived so the lines were not long. Bus to Atocha station took 35 minutes (not sure the taxi would have been any faster).

In short, it’s possible to make that connection IF the plane is on time and IF there are not too many other flights landing and IF traffic isn’t too bad into town. Good luck, but have a Plan B just in case. Buen Camino.

I cleared MAD customs late March 2023 with no delay. The walk from Delta gates took the most time. The only problem was the taxi driver who over charged for a fare to train station. It is a flat fee, to my knowledge, from airport to train station. Around 30 euros. Even with traffic. Confirm the set fare or meter before you get into the taxi. Buen Camino.

The only problem was the taxi driver who over charged for a fare to train station. It is a flat fee, to my knowledge, from airport to train station.
That’s a good heads up @Camino Joe 2021. As I understand it, there were two main drivers to the implementation of the flat fare. One was the frequent reports of tourists getting ripped off, but the other was that people taking taxis to an airport hotel or to the town of Barajas provided very little fare to the driver if a meter was used. That driver had likely been waiting for an hour or more to pick up a passenger, so I think it‘s a fair way of doing things.

But as your post shows, there are still some unscrupulous taxi drivers who don’t apply the flat fare.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks and Buen Camino!
If/when you update us on how it went for you, please let us know how it went with the backpack as well. I vaguely recall someone here saying Iberia is more stringent on backpack carryons than some others.

I've flown Iberia half a dozen times but never with a backpack or any sizable carryon.

EDIT-- sorry I misread and was thinking you were taking Iberia from Dulles and also the flight to Pamplona. If it's just MAD-PNA please still mention how it went if you don't mind.

I’m on the Cercanías train right now, May 4, 2023. There was no line at passport control at 19:15 - none.

This is in stark contrast to last May when I arrived at 06:00 and had about an hour wait at passport control.

Good luck!

Bob

If/when you update us on how it went for you, please let us know how it went with the backpack as well. I vaguely recall someone here saying Iberia is more stringent on backpack carryons than some others.

I've flown Iberia half a dozen times but never with a backpack or any sizable carryon.

EDIT-- sorry I misread and was thinking you were taking Iberia from Dulles and also the flight to Pamplona. If it's just MAD-PNA please still mention how it went if you don't mind.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thanks and Buen Camino!
On April 5, I arrived at Terminal 4s, cleared customs in seconds and took the shuttle train into 4, where I took a Cercanias train to Chamartin to catch the RENFE intercity train to Zamora where I began my camino. Less than 90 minutes in total to Charmartin. The shuttle train and the many escalators at both ends took about half an hour. Finding my way to the Cercanias train and paying took another 20 minutes. And waiting and taking the Cercanias train about half an hour.

I hope your trip is equally smooth.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I walked the Camino del Norte I had a connecting flight through Madrid to San Sebastian. I flew Iberia to Madrid and had an Iberian Express (may have been Vueling) flight to San Sebastian. The flight was delayed and a 3 1/2 hour window was shrunk down to an hour. I told the flight attendant and she asked my name and flight and told me to see the customer service person waiting at the end of the ramp after we deplaned. She gave me a pass that got me to the front of the line. What probably would have been a 20-30 minute wait as customs was packed. I went out and into 4A and had to go through security again. That too was a long line but the pass got me right through. It is a really long walk through that huge terminal to get to Iberia Express or Vueling gates. Even with the pass when I arrived the plane was almost completely boarded. Without that pass I would have never have made my connection.
The Madrid airport is the worst. The signage is seriously either lacking or misdirecting.

I’ve merged two recent threads on the same topic.

The Madrid airport is the worst. The signage is seriously either lacking or misdirecting.
Sorry you had a bad experience, BennyB. I have to admit I’ve been through the Madrid airport (T4 at least) so many times that I don’t need signs, so if you had any specific heads up for where things are confusing, it could really help other.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think most airports are pretty awful experiences. FOr me the Madrid Airport signage is not a problem. My problem is that to go from my international flight to a domestic connection is like walking a short stage on the camino.

I went through Madrid last week and immigration was horrible. I was on a flight that landed at 0600 and there were only two agents on duty. At 0700 they added 8 and the line evaporated but it still took 1.5hrs and I was first off the plane. Customs didn’t check anything so no issue there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I went through Madrid last week and immigration was horrible. I was on a flight that landed at 0600 and there were only two agents on duty. At 0700 they added 8 and the line evaporated but it still took 1.5hrs and I was first off the plane. Customs didn’t check anything so no issue there.
Was immigration difficult, or just time consuming? I have been in other airports where an early arrival means passengers waiting to clear immigration at the end of a night shift with limited staff. Things speed up when additional staff arrive for the regular day shift. In all that, I have never seen immigration officers 'lose their cool' and have always treated arriving passengers with dignity and respect.

There is a similar issue at my local airport at home, where the regular airlines that use it want baggage checked well before the rest of the airport is open for early morning flights. The airline check-in counters are all working, but then passengers have to wait for the security staff to start work and start clearing people into the departure hall.

Thanks and Buen Camino!
The possibility exists, as far as I know, to catch the yellow express bus (one stop en route) to Atocha. Significantly less expensive than the cab, and they both travel on the exact same freeway/road.

While we have gone from Atocha to the airport in the past, our next trip we will probably try the reverse. Same amount of time to work with as you, one hour later. After household discussion, we decided to take the yellow bus, and not reserve the train tickets...after all, we also have to renew our Tarjetas Doradas. We realize the train seat will cost more because it will be on the day. Not sure if the difference in train price will be mostly covered by the difference between cab and yellow bus. (We're not going totally without plans, we have our first two nights reserved as it's a big city. But getting to Sevilla from Madrid will be more flexible which we feel more comfortable with.)
BC

Was immigration difficult, or just time consuming? I have been in other airports where an early arrival means passengers waiting to clear immigration at the end of a night shift with limited staff. Things speed up when additional staff arrive. In all that, I have never seen immigration officers 'lose their cool' and have always treated arriving passengers with dignity and respect.
You hit it on the head. It was a shift change, not anyone losing their cool. Doesn’t really matter though if you’ve got a tight train or air connection. Many, most people can’t do a reset to the the next day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you come into T4, you could also take the Cercanias train to Atocha. Yes, I would take either the Yellow Express bus or C-train. Taxi a bit more, but if you are pressed for time that may be your best option. Both bus and taxi will have to deal with city traffic, while C train is less impacted.

UPDATE: Our flight from Washington Dulles to Madrid arrived 35 min early this morning due to a massive tailwind - and we were lucky to have a gate when we arrived. With no bags checked, we were out of immigration and customs in less than 15 min and ended up taking a taxi to Atocha. We were drinking a coffee at the train station an hour after landing in Madrid…trying to figure out what to do with ourselves with a 2 hour wait for our train to Pamplona. It’s a blessing for certain. 😃

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back