• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Communication - I can not talk to you

snej

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, I am very happy that I found this forum. Preparing my Camino and want to thank everyone here - very interesting, useful and valuable for me.
But I have a concern and will be glad if you help me with advice. I'm not fluent in foreign languages ​​that would help me to communicate. Would that be a problem to realize the trip alone.
So I will try here and while away, and if you do not see angry if you keep quiet - nothing personal :).
And it makes me a little sad that I can not know and talk to nice people on the path.
Maybe it's time to be paused and turned to myself because I always talk a lot and contact.
Good luck to all!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You will get along with just a smile, hand gestures, and a few words in Spanish. However, you will not be able to carry on a conversation unless you know Spanish, English, German, French, or Korean. Even without a foreign language, you will be treated warmly and will be welcome at every table. Do not worry about it.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I suggest, when you first approach someone on the Camino, to say hello in your most comfortable language. If they do not respond then I would try English since it appears you know some English and many people on the Camino speak it. If they do not understand either then a nice big smile will go a long way. :D

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Please do not let this hurt your Camino. All languages are welcomed on the Way. I think this allows everyone to reach out to others for comfort, support, laughter, in a much more meaningful way at times. You will have the greatest time of your life no matter what language.

¡Buen Camino!

Your English is very good and you will have no problems.
English is the main common language of the Camino and people from all over the world talk to each other in the common language of English. The Germans talk to the Swedes in English/ French (sometimes) talk to Italians in English/ Dutch talk to Koreans in English.
You will have no problems.

How small must a man go to fear - a few warm words and good heart. Thank you! :D
Now I employ over foreign words, preparation and route-calmly. My family supports me - only my youngest son wants a bit and I believe it should.
And as we say in Bulgaria - Life and Health / have until then / - you will do! /If we want a strong /.
Good day!
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola Snej and welcome. Your English is great and you will have no problem. A smile is worth many words too. :)
This year in one albergue we were 2 English (speak some Spanish); 2 Austrians ( 1 spoke Spanish); 2 Germans (1 spoke English); 2 Polish (1 spoke Spanish).We had a lovely friendly meal, with those who could translating for those who couldn't speak the others language.

90% of the rural Spanish people don't speak foreign languages either!!
Pilgrims from over 80 different countries walk the Camino so, they have to use signs, facial expressions and a few words from a dictionary.
You'll be OK!

Thank you for your kind words! I do not use my knowledge - my computer is an assistant now, but thanks to you I found strength and faith. I have already booked tickets for the final day - which means to come :) way to use them.
Today I received the badge of the forum / for 6 days to Bulgaria / - Thanks Ivar's very nice and I'm happy.
Glad you there! :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back