• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need Spanish skills for the Mozarabe?

normanormsen

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte, Portuguese, Frances
hey dear community,

after walking some other camino-routes Im considering to do the Mozarabe this year.

Those who already walked it, could you tell me if I need Spanish skills for this one? It seems more than often one needs to communicate with someone via phone etc to get the keys for the albergues since not many people are doing this route?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You will probably need at least a few basic phrases. English is not so widely spoken along the Mozarabe as it is on the Frances or Portugues. There are usually not resident hospitaleros and you may need to phone for access to albergues. You may then be given directions to find the key or the code for a key box.

In general, on quieter routes with less pilgrim traffic, and away from tourist destinations, you'll find english isn't very widely spoken. You might have to collect the key or the door code from the local bar, tienda or the little old lady down the street. Having said that, a few basic phrases is really all you need to communicate your basic needs and you can always use google translate. Phoning might prove a bit trickier if you feel your spanish isn't really up to it, but often there's an email address provided (especially for the local ayuntamiento or for the tourist office). A little forward planning, even just 2 or 3 days ahead, is important.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would say that you will need some basic Spanish language skills, like "hello", "Thank you" "Can I reserve a bed tomorrow", "I will be there tomorrow", etc. Do not expect to meet English fluency from the locals on this Camino.

You will be walking in a non-touristic area. This Camino is off-touristic, and you will most likely be (like in "always") alone.

If starting from Almeria, your first days will be quite difficult, walking on a dry riverbed with lots of stones, Hard on your feet. This is a Camino for experienced walkers who have some Spanish language knowledge, IMHO.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have any problems from Almería to Granada thanks to Nely and co and their system of reserving Albergues (whatsapp and key codes).

Despite studying Spanish, my Spanish is awful. But it does help on the Mozarabe where most people don't speak English and you'll have to make phonecalls. There's always booking.com and whatsapp but often whatsapp isn't answered and booking.com is more expensive with not everywhere listed.

As for it being a route for experienced walkers... It would help to be physically well and not suffering from or prone to injuries. Theres no luggage transfer service for example. The only other challenge would be the heat - people who opt to do this route outside of winter time may walk in the dark to beat the heat. Wet weather would have it's own challenges as sections that ordinarily are paths with crossing over streams and rivers could become dangerous, and I'm not sure walking on the highway would be either safe or enjoyable.

It's mainly routes of 18-27km until Merida - check Gronze. I think there's one day you have to do 35km without the option to split the stage but in most cases i reckon you could do under 20km a day if you needed to.

And once you're in Merida you're on the VDLP which appears to have longer stages.

Why don't you do some short Spanish lessons.
It is a matter of showing a minimal level of politeness and respect to be able to say hello and thank you to the local people of a Country that you visit..... I can't really understand why people visit regions, but are nog even capable of talking to the people.....Besides it is fun and yo5z learn a lot about local Customs, the food, the region.......
Ultreia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If starting from Almeria, your first days will be quite difficult, walking on a dry riverbed with lots of stones, Hard on your feet. This is a Camino for experienced walkers who have some Spanish language knowledge, IMHO.

As for it being a route for experienced walkers... It would help to be physically well and not suffering from or prone to injuries. Theres no luggage transfer service for example. The only other challenge would be the heat - people who opt to do this route outside of winter time may walk in the dark to beat the heat. Wet weather would have it's own challenges as sections that ordinarily are paths with crossing over streams and rivers could become dangerous, and I'm not sure walking on the highway would be either safe or enjoyable.

It is a matter of showing a minimal level of politeness and respect to be able to say hello and thank you to the local people of a Country that you visit..... I can't really understand why people visit regions, but are nog even capable of talking to the people.....Besides it is fun and yo5z learn a lot about local Customs, the food, the region.......
Ultreia

With respect, the guy hasn't asked for information or opinions about the physical aspects of walking the route, or for an opinion (or lecture) about his willingness or otherwise to learn some Spanish.

We don't know from his post, where his ability or Spanish level is at. AlI I read from his post is that he is trying to gauge if it's within his comfort zone.

With respect, the guy hasn't asked for information or opinions about the physical aspects of walking the route, or for an opinion (or lecture) about his willingness or otherwise to learn some Spanish.

We don't know from his post, where his ability or Spanish level is at. AlI I read from his post is that he is trying to gauge if it's within his comfort zone.

Yea, i was responding to the comment about it being for experienced walkers with Spanish skills.

I disagree with the experienced walkers comment. And spanish skills.. more useful after granada but with technology (google translate, messaging, online booking options) it's not mandatory.
Definitely a good excuse to take a few Spanish lessons all the same.

Hi @normanormsen I agree with others who've commented that a few important phrases will stand you in good stead - as is always the case in a country where you either don't speak, or are not confident in, the language.

We walked the Mozarabe in 2015 - with no more than a few words of Spanish but with willingness to do our best with what we knew. To this day in Spain, I carry a one page 'cheat sheet' with basic words and phrases - including those I may need if enquiring about accommodation. I trust you will find, as we did on the Mozarabe in 2015, that the local people - irrespective of language barriers - are very welcoming and friendly.

Buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What everyone else said. Are you carrying an iPhone or iPad? You can get a Google Translate app or something similar that works great. I don't have a lot of Spanish but I did ok on that route from Malaga.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Regardless of where in the world you travel, it is always good form to be able to speak basic phrases in the local language. I always viewed it as a form of respect. Most of the indigenous folks you meet will appreciate that you are at least trying.

This is a general recommendation, and not intended as a criticism towards anyone. You will have a much smoother Camino if you can communicate, even at a very basic level, whether in France, Portugal or Spain.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Ultreia

I agreed and thats mainly why Im asking. :)

I would start in september so I would have around 6 months to learn some basics, but next to working I doubt to get better than Level a1 tbh. (Im already able to order a Coffee, say hello etc, but that wouldnt help me navigating to get the key for an albergue 🥲)

I agreed and thats mainly why Im asking. :)

I would start in september so I would have around 6 months to learn some basics, but next to working I doubt to get better than Level a1 tbh. (Im already able to order a Coffee, say hello etc, but that wouldnt help me navigating to get the key for an albergue 🥲)
I can send you my Spanish 'cheat sheet' by PM if you would like it. You can take or leave what you think you'll need - and add a few phrases re collecting keys. By the way, on the Mozarabe, that is sometimes from the local police station - at least it was when we walked.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I know you didn’t ask about this but, imho, I wouldn’t start walking from anywhere in the south until at least mid-October, it is way too hot in the south.
As for language, without some language ability, this Camino will be an adventure for sure. Many in the small villages do not speak English, so whatever Spanish you learn will be put to the test and you’ll learn a lot more along the way. On the VdlP I recall a Danish fellow who managed with non-verbal indications that he wanted to sleep or to eat. They would then steer him to restaurants or albergues accordingly. He was fine with his system.

I walked the Mozarabe from Malaga to Cordoba in February 2022. The weather was lovely, the almond trees were in full bloom and it was a lovely walk. I was always alone in the albergues and my Spanish is very poor, so it was a very lonely walk.
Sometimes I got someone to help me call to get the key. Sometimes I just said ”albergue” and ”pelegrina” and hoped for the best. Even at the police station noone could speak any english. But I always made it in to the albergue.

Good point. However as a regular Forum visitor I know that posts nearly always range around the topic as well as answer the question. Threads are more like conversations between a groups of people - with side conversations - rather than a FAQ page. Having said that …
As someone who is very interested in the Mozarabe I was grateful to hear about the length of stages from Almiera. And some more details about the actual walking surface.
I have read so many conflicting reports about the Mozarabe it’s always good to learn more.
PS. I am following Debbie’s blog.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My Spanish is limited, but I hardly needed to use it.

The thing is the Spanish know what you are doing and can anticipate your most likely wants and needs. Many also adapted their expression to the English characteristics.

They are not rude but quite decisive and brisk in their way and seem to handle things efficiently and concisely. It's characteristic of the region. Very country.

It was often soon after a short talk that I understood better what had been said. So I waited.

I don't think you'd find yourself in a complicated discussion. They just don't do that on the Mozarabes.

Finished Almeria to Cordoba last week. I managed with my limited Duolingo- spanish and Google translate. The first week from Almeria to Granada you will receive the code every day for the albergues from Nely who is the hospitalera in the Almeria Albergue. So it’s important to get in touch with her or the Camino Mozarabe accosiation in Almeria before you start. They also have an updated guide for the camino. From Granada to Cordoba I booked at the hostals mentioned in the guide a day or two in advance using WhatsApp and Google translate.

Attachments

• ENERO-24 GUIA CAMINO MOZARABE ALMERIA-MÉRIDA 2.pdf
    12.1 MB · Views: 28
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Finished Almeria to Cordoba last week. I managed with my limited Duolingo- spanish and Google translate. The first week from Almeria to Granada you will receive the code every day for the albergues from Nely who is the hospitalera in the Almeria Albergue. So it’s important to get in touch with her or the Camino Mozarabe accosiation in Almeria before you start. They also have an updated guide for the camino. From Granada to Cordoba I booked at the hostals mentioned in the guide a day or two in advance using WhatsApp and Google translate.
Thanks for the PDF. A question - are there towns /villages between the stages or are they the next town/village with nothing but wonderful countryside in between - like on the Via?

Thanks for the PDF. A question - are there towns /villages between the stages or are they the next town/village with nothing but wonderful countryside in between - like on the Via?
Some stages with a villige or two between stages, others with nothing. I used the Buen Camino app where you have a index of localities. It was a solitary route. I walked for 18 days only seeing 3 other pilgrims in total. But very nice albergues and some very scenic stages. I enjoyed it very much.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back