• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you really need to visit the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP?

Neitz

Westmarch
Time of past OR future Camino
CF from SJPdP June 2023
There have been many photos posted recently of a long queue of people waiting to get into the Pilgrim Office run by Les Amis Du Chemin De Saint Jacques in Saint Jean Pied de Port.

I read that at this office they will provide a credencial, place the first stamp in it, and provide tips and information.

I already have a credencial and have been researching "tips and information" for a long time (here in this forum and in numerous other sources).

I am arriving in SJPdP in the afternoon, and I have to get moving up the hill to get to Orisson where I have a reservation that evening. I am the type that would like the sweet Amis du Chemin stamp, but if the queue is an hour long I trust that I could get my first stamp at any one of a number of gites or shops in town and it will be as "official" as anything else as far as the pilgrim's office in Santiago is concerned.

I mean people can start anywhere outside the 100km radius and just need any stamp from that starting place, right?

Am I correct, or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
No. But it is a "traditional" place to get a first stamp. But - you can also get a first stamp at your first albergue or bar or any other place you happen to find one.

But - they do record who starts in SJPDP and it might be helpful for them to be able to track how many people start there every day - they can watch trends month to month or year to year for planning purposes and such.

It is also a good place to get a weather update for the Pyrenees and they do give out an accommodation list if you want/need one.

There have been many photos posted recently of a long queue of people waiting to get into the Pilgrim Office run by Les Amis Du Chemin De Saint Jacques in Saint Jean Pied de Port.

I read that at this office they will provide a credencial, place the first stamp in it, and provide tips and information.

I already have a credencial and have been researching "tips and information" for a long time (here in this forum and in numerous other sources).

I am arriving in SJPdP in the afternoon, and I have to get moving up the hill to get to Orisson where I have a reservation that evening. I am the type that would like the sweet Amis du Chemin stamp, but if the queue is an hour long I trust that I could get my first stamp at any one of a number of gites or shops in town and it will be as "official" as anything else as far as the pilgrim's office in Santiago is concerned.

I mean people can start anywhere outside the 100km radius and just need any stamp from that starting place, right?

There is no requirement that one visit the Pilgrim Office in SJPP.

Of course, if you don't, you will be personally responsible for any inaccuracies in their count of the number of pilgrims leaving from SJPP. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

It’s likely that many of those photos are re-posts. It’s also likely that they were taken over the first weekend in May. An hour long queue? I’ve got to StJ, in mid-May, off the afternoon train with plenty of time to walk to Valcarlos and been the only Pilg in sight.

Notwithstanding, nothing is compulsory on Camino.

I’ve got to StJ, in mid-May, off the afternoon train with plenty of time to walk to Valcarlos and been the only Pilg in sight.
I walked the Valcarlos route one September in peak season when 300+ pilgrims left the town that morning. Almost all of them took the Route Napoleon. I only saw about half a dozen others on the way to Roncesvalles. Walking into the pandemonium in the albergue was a shock to the system! :)

I visited the Pilgrim Office yesterday. The queue was about 20 minutes. Later in the day, around 4pm, there was no queue.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I think it is really important to go to office to get latest information about going over the pass to Roncevalles. I met a couple who went the wrong way and ended up walking 16 extra km, another guy was going to walk the path we had been advised was closed because it was too dangerous. The information sheet with pictures they gave me was literally a life saver.

You are correct. They simply give you a list of Albergues along the route which can be found in many towns which have an Information Office for Pilgrims. They simply tell you that you need 1 stamp per day until you reach the last 100km (Sarria) at which point you must obtain 2 stamps per day to earn your Compestella. Buen Camino

found in many towns which have an Information Office for Pilgrims
Unless there has been a very sudden outbreak of facilities the Bureau des Pelerins is the only information office for pilgrims on the Camino Frances. Various Tourismos and some Albergues may have pilgrim relevant information but I wouldn't rely on it.

Anyways, what information does a Pilgrim require other than "follow the yellow arrows and find a bed when you're tired". ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Unless there has been a very sudden outbreak of facilities the Bureau des Pelerins is the only information office for pilgrims on the Camino Frances.
There are a few seasonal ones like the place on the bridge in Logrono or the Proteccion Civil volunteers in Leon. But with all the other sources of information these days they are not really essential.

Avoiding a long line could be a missed opportunity. The line at the Pilgrim Office is usually fun and filled with happy, enthusiastic folks. You might not see that again until Sarria! :cool: I'm just kidding, you will find lots of happy and enthusiastic pilgrims at Orisson and all along the way! As everyone has said, it’s not a necessity. Best of luck to you! Enjoy every long moment, they will pass quicker than you know.

There are a few seasonal ones like the place on the bridge in Logrono or the Proteccion Civil volunteers in Leon. But with all the other sources of information these days they are not really essential.
Can you tell me more about the location of the seasonal pilgrim office in Logroño? I’m arriving there by bus and that is where I am starting my Camino. Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Can you tell me more about the location of the seasonal pilgrim office in Logroño? I’m arriving there by bus and that is where I am starting my Camino. Thanks.
It has been in a stone building on the north end of the big bridge over the river where the Camino Frances enters the city. Closed when I passed by in January. You may want to confirm that it is open with a more recent pilgrim.

1683746854338.png

1683746933480.png

A related Q - how does it work if you know you will need two credential books as you are walking slow? I ask as I am planning on getting 2 stamps at least per day from SJPD to get into the habit. Do I get both books that I have stamped when I begin or? Thx Jen

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A related Q - how does it work if you know you will need two credential books as you are walking slow? I ask as I am planning on getting 2 stamps at least per day from SJPD to get into the habit. Do I get both books that I have stamped when I begin or? Thx Jen
You can get two credentials in St Jean if you wish. It might be easier to do that than to buy s second one later.

Notice that the Pilgrim Office of SJPP plans even more pilgrims on 2023 than on 2019:

"Compared to four years ago, "we are 11% more attendance, with a peak in April and even a day with 525 pilgrims. Those who come on foot represent only 5 to 6%, the rest arrives by bus or train to start the road in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port...
For the moment, the Americans are the most numerous, followed by the Koreans and then the French."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Notice that the Pilgrim Office of SJPP plans even more pilgrims on 2023 than on 2019:
The problem with picking quotes out of a larger article is that sometimes you miss important information like this "If it continues like this" (translated via Google).

Let's wait before we extrapolate from one month's data. So far it looks like May is not as busy as April and the article acknowledges this when it mentions that the peak was in April.

Obviously, this peak is only in the data so far and the traditional Autumn wave may (or may not) exceed the April peak.

The problem with picking quotes out of a larger article is that sometimes you miss important information like this "If it continues like this". [...] Let's wait before we extrapolate from one month's data. So far it looks like May is not as busy as April and the article acknowledges this when it mentions that the peak was in April.
I agree. Still, it is interesting to read this article. It is rare that there is something about pilgrim numbers in the regional press on the northern side of the Pyrenees, and the article is not even (yet?) behind a paywall. I do agree that unqualified extrapolation and predictions about future developments of these numbers is best ignored. What drew my attention were these lines (translated):

[...] a peak in April and even a day with 525 pilgrims. Those who come on foot represent only 5-6%, the rest arrive by bus or train to start the Camino in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port".
The trend for the beginning of May is also very promising, with between 350 and 400 people per day.

It is not surprising that so many start in SJPP but it is still interesting to see the proportion of those who start and those who continue. Recorded numbers of 350, 400 and occasionally even more than 500 pilgrims a day in April/May put a stop to the claim that the Universe or the Camino will provide a bed for anyone in Roncesvalles or at least for those who have never done anything like this before and could not put one single foot in front of their other foot when they have finally made it to Roncesvalles.

And I personally would not qualify these figures as "very promising" but that's obviously the view from SJPP. The more the merrier.

Obviously, nobody can report from the future -- but the general tendency is still pointing towards between +5% and +10% pilgrims reaching Santiago (from wherever) this year compared to 2019. If not higher.

As to those who start in SJPP, there is still a significant proportion among them, in the high season anyway, who skip the "boring" bits in the middle, i.e. the beautiful and amazing meseta, or who realise after a few days what the hiking is actually like, and abandon.

I'm no doomsayer, and as far as I'm concerned, the more pilgrims the merrier !! (just noticed that @Kathar1na used the same phrase, synchronicity is great sometimes)

None of this removes the other statistical reality -- which is that Pilgrim numbers between about Logroño and about Astorga seem to be in a state of decline, not growth.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You get the first book stamped where you begin. You get the second book started and stamped with its first stamp when you need it because the first ran out of room.

So, for my 2016 Camino, I started in Roncesvalles. I got the second book in Leon. For "Lugar de la inicio de la peregrinacion", they filled in "Roncesvalles (Credencial #2)".

You get the first book stamped where you begin. You get the second book started and stamped with its first stamp when you need it because the first ran out of room.

So, for my 2016 Camino, I started in Roncesvalles. I got the second book in Leon. For "Lugar de la inicio de la peregrinacion", they filled in "Roncesvalles (Credencial #2)".
Many thanks! I have both ready for when I start! Was not sure if I got both stamped at the start in SJPD! Hope to get them framed to serve as a reminder once I finish! This forum of great help gracias a todos!

Attachments

• DA9A89BC-3001-4295-BC3D-EB9EE3D21393.jpeg
    DA9A89BC-3001-4295-BC3D-EB9EE3D21393.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 16
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
No; just carry on to the second (or third) as necessary. I tape mine together; but that’s just my preference. I have a ‘bits and pieces’ credenciale which I use for my frequent 7-10 day opportunistic ventures onto a Camino route which is now six credenciales taped together.

I suggest starting from SJPP with a single credencial: I got a second one in Sahagun which is very nice: a "Credencial del Peregrino" with a side for the stamps, and the reverse with a drawing of all the Camino Francés...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How long did I take you, and what time of year was it? Thank you.
SJPdP to Orisson took me 2 hours when I did it late May. Everyone has different walking speeds. I heard someone say it took them 4. That would likely be max.

By way of an After Action Report, the Express Bourricot van got me to St Jean at about 14:30 local time, and there were only a few people queued up at the Office (barely out the front door), so I went ahead and joined in, waiting less than 5 minutes. I was on my way up the mountain by 1500, thinking "I hope I'm not late for supper!" However, I soon overtook a few fellow Orisson lodgers on their way up, and was ensconced at the Refuge well before supper and before the rainstorm that was moving in.

It was 29 May and I count this as day 0.5 (arrival at Roncesvalles being Day 1) and arrived in SdC on Day 32 (29 June).

Overall for this Camino experience, I would consider myself BLESSED, with:
1. Unseasonably cool weather for Spain in June.
2. Never any need to deploy rain gear while walking (rain was always late in the day after arriving at my lodging).
3. Never any issue finding lodging, usually reserving the day before, but several times walking in sin reserva. Yes, there were sometimes full albergues, but always a second one with space available.

AIL4fc_3PYU8ZlIAjunDiRIsWOdhZEfhroHO-3B36G6RMVWmnDD_KMga5lukqCnJGy36rpzcTrsXX6Dxc-1YJDDyFUOE_CQkN_CgqLRAZsxd4BvnM7vG-6ZzVKc4pmBdPPuUK1JoZ872rWZkynaF8akvEmF4jjqGI6We55lyo9bORM9LRw7dz3kEquPZlbVDbWOvIjnuUefv76pZLawpsHFeqYOxvEGP1xqTxPkeGh7BgiuKI6TtZtQtDZ9eeHhBsWBc2x8vXUnB9Wg-9pxIHTBjfRu4T_lajpOsnW_DvL8xnpjSaAONEo2zQvFkli_M9shZhW_G4tF3gBwm0aKLoQA3rFupZI3P05-b3Zf-gvQTkhJkh_cXA7nPXlnjQJBtH0PSMUu1aa3LZYA8ajkU9dmP8hNphYVg9AXh9O9BU7qVuHzt2Hn4RvvSGaappbNH6CGpU5H6fl9S9NlbkeSVeuAaEWt4IAMUQz43GJ_Rm0i7gbund5E3KgTTFyICHbJg1e81PgbNbaGeoaug-M1N1kqqIumCP-UvfP9SXmMc10myTasAPzIutTjFxyLRW1rXI1fUYRDxzimvOMnjL83skFBIhNdKy74cGbKg5w9fj5yRyzppiZInXBv31_Eofx9N9gCxGQ2tpLLrzRAN0DH3Ca-m3aJ3Ij5L7_RWIBnA6w3hNDXpBqafeWLFNw0VtTVbXxaYNxfYuRz3R7d3JIF7wSPdHfIW8fri16MQe0HIHtS19Y_d8CdjbfGruf9ZQ24CZFwzv7JBhHfVSnTlvQSB26HrA2L6tHPfn4CRJECcVeSurNTGsSGrE61OM_BP2fOK6sPibvR5Mp7Ur5wvwe3OuPgxX17SVGpAiru4eoNBTrWniyx7lkIQss7OTwnYtB9DJHJIis-N_M7dMFrkitAdqz8TZ__JQmY=w827-h623-s-no

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back