• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does Refuge Orisson Have wifi?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I got there around six because my pack got lost by fed ex. I left sjpp around 2:30 and trudged straight up in the pouring rain...long story short I don't remember

Their website makes no mention of wi-fi, which is probably the strongest selling point for many Albergues these days, so I guess not. They obviously have internet access. Perhaps a question for them to address.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Annie , they have a very nicely written chalkboard sign next to the register at the bar , it says ; '' No WIFI , try talking to someone '' , or words to that effect .
So short answer is that they might have an internet connection but they don't offer WiFi to their patrons .

Annie , they have a very nicely written chalkboard sign next to the register at the bar , it says ; '' No WIFI , try talking to someone '' , or words to that effect .
So short answer is that they might have an internet connection but they don't offer WiFi to their patrons .

Thanks Charles. I've seen that sign other places but not at Orisson.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Charles. I've seen that sign other places but not at Orisson.

I remember seeing it there, and also hearing a staff person talk about how irritating it was watching people sit around staring at their phones, but for booking ahead purposes, it can sure be handy! (not that you need that at Roncesvalles).

I also remember trying to fall asleep on a lower bunk, and having a young woman playing with a VERY bright screened i phone near me. I told her, "early day tomorrow, please turn it off NOW"---and she got deep, deep into the covers and probably roasted for some time.

Oh, but you do. See a few recent posts about Roncesvalles albergue started with reservations this summer.

Man, oh man, K One. This in part explains why I'm not at all interested in walking in the hot and crowded summers! It would be hard to cross the mountains and not have a bed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Can someone who has stayed there recently tell me if they have wifi?
Thanks.

Nope. It would be nice if there were.

I have health issues. If they had I could have reassured my wife last year that I made it there safely instead of her having to wait until I got to Roncesvalles the next day.

I understand this year sim cards are available that work in both France and Spain. I will definitely be getting one of those for my 2018 camino.

Nope. It would be nice if there were.

I have health issues. If they had I could have reassured my wife last year that I made it there safely instead of her having to wait until I got to Roncesvalles the next day.
Not having Wifi is one thing, but I'm sure you could still have made a phone call with your cell, no?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nope - no service on my phone. I did borrow a phone and sent an email however since it wasn't from me it went straight to her trash.
Wow, that's odd as Orisson is not remote, I was sure cell service woild have been available.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We stayed at Orisson in 2012. There were 5 of us in a dorm. The American lady had brought every gadget under the sun. The rest of us Eng./ Fr./ It. only had very basic mobile phones. How times have progressed / changed! Many pilgrims now seem so dependent on gadgets and Wifi.

Yes, things sure have changed. I remember when there was nothing at Orisson, no gite at all, let alone wifi. Only the ruined remnants of an old building. And that was only 16 years ago.

Hate to say it, but some of us old codgers, sound like old codgers....

Modern technology has many advantages but one of the big downsides is how quickly our perception of it changes: from being merely a novelty to a useful practical option and then becoming a necessity. When I walked my first Camino there was no internet or mobile phone access anywhere - they had barely reached the major cities and were the sole preserve of the very rich or tech nerds in any case. My contact with home was by letter and two phone calls from towns en route. Now being out of contact for more than a few hours is enough to cause concern in more anxious friends and relations. Even if we walkers are happy to be unplugged our families may not find it so easy. I can understand that concern.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah yes @Bradypus, remember phone cards? We used them in public telephone booths.

One of my favourite scenes from St Jacques Le Meque is where they are all trying to find a spot where their phones will connect. Orisson is a bit like that.

Yes, things sure have changed. I remember when there was nothing at Orisson, no gite at all, let alone wifi. Only the ruined remnants of an old building. And that was only 16 years ago.

Ha , ha, a bit less of the "old codgers" please Kanga. This one is still going strong (well mostly!) at three score years and ten.

Predictive chose Dodgers instead of Codgers, probably far more appropriate!!! LOL

Ah yes @Bradypus, remember phone cards? We used them in public telephone booths.
I remember using them in the UK but not in Spain. My memory of phoning home is vague - probably because the payphones I used were in bars :) I seem to recall stacking up some 100 peseta coins before making the calls.

One of my favourite scenes from St Jacques Le Meque is where they are all trying to find a spot where their phones will connect. Orisson is a bit like that.
I remember queuing at the main post office/telephone central in Moscow in 1992 and again in Nairobi in 1998 to make calls. Ah, but calling from Moscow anywhere in the world was ridiculously cheap back in the day. Things do change, but not just for the better :oops:.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Valcarlos route had internet access whenever I tried with my Spanish sim bought in Pamplona on the way to SJPdP. Admittedly didn't try all that often but certainly in Valcarlos. ;)

I understand this year sim cards are available that work in both France and Spain. I will definitely be getting one of those for my 2018 camino.

Recently implemented EU rule means no roaming charges in Europe . Any phone sim / plan bought in one EU country will work the same in any other country. Already been very useful to me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Recently implemented EU rule means no roaming charges in Europe . Any phone sim / plan bought in one EU country will work the same in any other country. Already been very useful to me.
Interesting. I walked the Camino Portuguese in May/June and bought a Simm card in Porto. It would not work in Spain!

Interesting. I walked the Camino Portuguese in May/June and bought a Simm card in Porto. It would not work in Spain!
Did you have your phone set to allow international roaming? Many are set by default to prevent it. If not then obviously the sim would not work once out of range of your Portuguese network.

EDIT: Another problem which occasionally happens is that a phone fails to automatically register with a new network on arrival in a different country. Manually scanning for available networks and selecting one has worked for me in the past when this has been the case.

Last edited:

I believe that the new rules came into effect on June 15th. You may have just missed out. As the post above states you may have to set up roaming to take advantage of the change.

I believe that the new rules came into effect on June 15th. You may have just missed out. As the post above states you may have to set up roaming to take advantage of the change.
The recent change is to do with the costs of roaming and not its technical availability. The underlying GSM/3G/4G network has not changed. I do not think that in recent years there have been any Portuguese mobile phone networks whose SIM cards could not be used in Spain at some additional cost provided international roaming was enabled.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.