• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

End of day footwear

Doodle99

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (?)
I know it is suggested that one brings a pair of light weight flip flops/crocs to wear at the end of day which seems fine when the temps are decent but what do you wear at the end of the day on your feet if is cold & damp out. I am starting my camino Sept 4 and walking until the middle of Oct. Temps in the middle of Oct will not be what they are early Sept. Just looking for ideas/suggestions....thanks

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's nice not to have to wear your boots in the evening, as your feet need a break. I use hiking sandals, with socks if its cold. That way my feet get to breath a bit. And the sandals are a backup to my boots if I get blisters etc. Never have though...

Flip Flops / Jandals / Thongs with socks is tricky ;)

It's nice not to have to wear your boots in the evening, as your feet need a break. I use hiking sandals, with socks if its cold. That way my feet get to breath a bit. And the sandals are a backup to my boots if I get blisters etc. Never have though...

Flip Flops / Jandals / Thongs with socks is tricky ;)
hahahaha yes - a little tricky..... thanks for the wisdom!

Crocs hands down. In 2015 when my boots decided they did not like my feet anymore, I walked a 25 kilometre day in my crocs with socks before I found a place to buy some new shoes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know it is suggested that one brings a pair of light weight flip flops/crocs to wear at the end of day which seems fine when the temps are decent but what do you wear at the end of the day on your feet if is cold & damp out. I am starting my camino Sept 4 and walking until the middle of Oct. Temps in the middle of Oct will not be what they are early Sept. Just looking for ideas/suggestions....thanks
i walked sept 1 -oct 7 2015...socks inside of crocs were fine...mornings get a little chilly but it seems spain is a month behind our weather per month here in the states

That was the time I walked in 2013 - I wore thongs (flip flops) at the end of the day and never needed socks. If you get some toe socks it is easy then :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Crocs hands down. In 2015 when my boots decided they did not like my feet anymore, I walked a 25 kilometre day in my crocs with socks before I found a place to buy some new shoes.
I have tried on the Croc clogs several times, but they do not fit my narrow, flat feet at all. Also my toes hit the front. And when I have tried on a size larger, they become super wide. They are not for everyone.

Sandals with socks is what I prefer... Now, about them crocs. So many people wear them, so there is got to be something to them. Perhaps they are comfortable but you have to agree that they are some ugly....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with Evanlow and Zrexer, crocs are great and 'soft' on your feet in the evening as a change from boots/cycling shoes, but also they are excellent if you have to ford a stream or wade thru floodwater - totally water resistant - they save you from soggy, heavy boots! Also as they are a loose fit - ideal if you do get blisters... (which you shouldn't if you follow David's advice here!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a pair of lightweight Merrill trainers, 300 grams, that I can wear with stocking socks or warmer socks at night and if needing a break from my boots I can wear during the day. I also take a very lightweight pair of thongs to wear in the showers or to air my feet after a day of walking, perhaps these are over kill but to me worth the extra weight of 170 grams

You can't cover every aspect. However, heres my experince. I started from St Jean 23rd Sept (later than your start) and I finished Santiago 20th Oct in 2016. I took a good pair of leather sandals which I changed into at the end of each day. Your feet are very important on any Camino and getting my feet into a pair of sandals at the end of the day was heaven. Be careful throughout the day, and depending on your conditioning, remember to prepare your feet before you set out each day and understand the value of stopping and taking off your walking footwear on a regular basis throughout the day (some say every 2 or 3 hours including socks) I made a point of taking off my walking boots at some point every day throughout my walk. Any discomfort I suferred with blisters was kept to an absolute minimum and instead of needing or taking rest days out, I walked every day continuously in comfort. Boots and Sandals worked for me in all conditions plus a good foot care discipline throughout each and every day...get complacent and it will hit you.. Good luck

Buen Camino

Peter

You can't cover every aspect. However, heres my experince. I started from St Jean 23rd Sept (later than your start) and I finished Santiago 20th Oct in 2016. I took a good pair of leather sandals which I changed into at the end of each day. Your feet are very important on any Camino and getting my feet into a pair of sandals at the end of the day was heaven. Be careful throughout the day, and depending on your conditioning, remember to prepare your feet before you set out each day and understand the value of stopping and taking off your walking footwear on a regular basis throughout the day (some say every 2 or 3 hours including socks) I made a point of taking off my walking boots at some point every day throughout my walk. Any discomfort I suferred with blisters was kept to an absolute minimum and instead of needing or taking rest days out, I walked every day continuously in comfort. Boots and Sandals worked for me in all conditions plus a good foot care discipline throughout each and every day...get complacent and it will hit you.. Good luck

Buen Camino

Peter
I totally agree about taking care of the feet....they are what must take us forward! Thanks for the advice!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It IS true that sandals should NEVER be worn with socks, as a basic style issue. This was sternly impressed on me by several lady friends in Europe.

It is as much a fashion "no-no" as wearing knee-high socks with any footwear while wearing shorts, unless it is part of a prescribed uniform. Although the latter is seen daily here in South Florida.

That said, the Camino is NOT a fashion show. It IS a study of essential function and is "needs must" on steroids.

I started wearing sandals as my evening, apres Camino, footwear. But they did not do double duty in showers to prevent getting foot fungi...been there, done that. Better to not get it than have to treat it.

So, I then bought Crocs in a bright Wasabi green color while in Leon on my second C/F. My idea was that no one would borrow them in such a conspicuous color. They did work in the shower, and with socks outside if needed for cushioning or warmth.

But, the Crocs were not that comfortable while walking in cities, and then, there was that color... these distinctive Crocs are now my yard and garden shoes here in Florida. They are perfect for that role.

Starting at Lisbon this 27 April, my new apres Camino, all-purpose footwear is a lime-green pair of Telic expanded foam, zories, flip-flops (changlas). They can be worn with light liner socks. The socks just stretch to accommodate the toe thingie. I have been wearing them to the beach.

The color prevents them from being borrowed on Camino and they are designed as after-wear for runners. So, they are very comfortable. Check them out at www.telic.com.

I hope this helps.

I have tried on the Croc clogs several times, but they do not fit my narrow, flat feet at all. Also my toes hit the front. And when I have tried on a size larger, they become super wide. They are not for everyone.
They make ladies Crocs in narrower widths now, plus there are a multitude of styles, not just the clog as pictured above

To add to your confusion, I remind you that your feet and sensitivities are your own and no-one can rely on the experience of others in this area. Whatever you do it will not make or break your experience.

IMG_20160925_100554957(1).jpg

I took Birkenstock EVAs which are cheap, made of lightweight plastic of some kind, and I ended up using them for the last few hundred km as my hiking shoes were killing me. I have no class, so wearing socks was no issue for me. I always wear socks, sometimes inner and outer socks. EVAs do not require special socks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I took my Birkenstocks and was glad I did. They can be worn with socks, without shame :)

. . . I usually carry a pair of neoprene beach shoes for indoor or town use.

That works well for me too. I use Sockwa G4.

My first camino I took flip flops - called in Australia thongs :). great as they could do double duty in the shower, but my feet cried out for more support as they recovered from a day of walking. So next time I took a pair of joggers as well, extra weight, but worth it for me to have that comfort walking around the town each evening.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You might like to try the women's ones. They are narrower and a tiny bit more refined.

My first camino I took flip flops - called in Australia thongs :). great as they could do double duty in the shower, but my feet cried out for more support as they recovered from a day of walking. So next time I took a pair of joggers as well, extra weight, but worth it for me to have that comfort walking around the town each evening.
The Telic ones (www.teliccom) mentioned by t2andreo above and similar silicone ones are v lightweight and have arch supports built in. Not heavy like the $$$ scholl ones.
Comfort plus!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Crocs and socks is what I wore in the albergues at the end of my days on the Camino. I also wore the Crocs (sans socks) in the shower and so they were always nice and clean.

Preferably the shame of a hideous pair of crocs should be further augmented with those silly 'shoe charms' of ladybirds and whatnot.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.