• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First-time Camino walkers seeking taxi advice for SJPDP to Orisson

HikerAnon

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hello!
My daughter and I are walking our first Camino in May 2024. We are from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Our first day will be walking from SJPDP to Orisson. Sadly, we could not find accommodation in Orisson. Is it difficult to find a taxi back to SJPDP from Orisson and then back again the next day? If there is a taxi, do I need to book it in advance? Also, I have booked two nights at Gite Compostella (6 Route d'Arneguy) in SJPDP, but I did not see its listing on the comprehensive list of accommodations posted on this website.
Thanks for any help.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
what he said
Express Bouricott is your friend (as it is anyone's friend in that situation)
will pick you up in any given point (refer to those on the site) and next day drop you off there so you can merrily continue your walk
nothing to it :)

re:Gite Compostella - you already booked it and there are plenty of references to it all over the Internet.
The "Comprehensive list" may not be very comprehensive - stuff does gets out of date.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the omission and would not worry
Push comes to shove you can always raise them on WhatsApp or send an email

Good luck & Buen Camino

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello!
My daughter and I are walking our first Camino in May 2024. We are from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Our first day will be walking from SJPDP to Orisson. Sadly, we could not find accommodation in Orisson. Is it difficult to find a taxi back to SJPDP from Orisson and then back again the next day? If there is a taxi, do I need to book it in advance? Also, I have booked two nights at Gite Compostella (6 Route d'Arneguy) in SJPDP, but I did not see its listing on the comprehensive list of accommodations posted on this website.
Thanks for any help.
Did you try Borda which is just past Orisson?

It is also a wise decision to break up this first day, however, if you are in SJPdP for 2 days you should be well rested and maybe able to do the whole trip from SJPdP to Roncesvalles at a leisurely pace?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I agree with the others that Express Bourricot is the service that you need.

The only extra advice is that you have to order the pickup at least the day before or earlier if you like. They have a mini bus licence but not a taxi licence and so they are not permitted to pick you up if you hail them on the day without a reservation.

Also, depending on your fitness and time available on the first day you may want to walk further than Orisson on the first day so that you have an easier second day.

I used them (Express Bourricot) and got picked up at the Snow Virgin car park which is about another hour's walk beyond Orisson.

The good thing about stopping at Orisson on the first day is that they have seats, shelter, drinks and food available for purchase while you wait for the scheduled pickup. None of these are available at the Snow Virgin car park but you do get to explore a religious site with fabulous views.

The other alternative is to walk about another 40 minutes to where the Camino Frances leaves the road. In May the coffee cart should be available at that point and they also have seats, shelter, food and drinks to purchase.

Over to you which one would suit you best. If I did it again then I would walk to the coffee cart if it was a fine day with a brief stop at the Snow Virgin or I would walk to Orisson if it was raining, very windy or cold.

The benefit of walking right up to the coffee cart where the Camino Frances leaves the road on the first day is that that is where you will start on the second day and that will put you in front of the vast majority of other walkers on the second day and you will be much fresher when you tackle the descent on the second day.

Last edited:
I accompanied a small group on the first stages of the Camino last year, and we stayed at Gite Compostelle and used Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle.

I booked the shuttle a couple of months before the Camino.
Rather than pick up at Orisson they picked us up at the Virgin of Orisson, which is about an hour's walk (3.7 km) after Orisson. This divides the stage more evenly, and gives you a slightly shorter walk the next day. You can stop at Orisson for lunch, then continue on to the area of the Virgin statue - which you may not be able to see if it's a stormy day like we had last May. There is a parking area there.

Mountain shuttle.png

It does seem that @wisepilgrim missed Gite Compostelle on the list.

My thought on continue to Virgin on Day 1 as well - make more sense and makes it a much better Day 2

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The absolute, most difficult part of the Camino Frances is the first 8 km from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Orisson. It is steep enough and long enough that I have seen people literally quit their Camino before reaching Orisson, on their first day.

After that, the terrain continues up, but at a more reasonable slope, for a couple of km, to Crux Thibault. There, the path leaves the paved road and heads West, for the Spanish frontier and Roncesvalles.

Personally, I have walked this stretch (from SJPdP) twice - without ill effects other than exhaustion. The cold beers at Orisson usually refresh my body and spirit. It is a heck of a way to start your Camino.

When I finally showed it to my wife as a tourist, some years later, in a car coming DOWN - as she hung forward in her seat belt - she instructed me that I was to NEVER - as in EVER - walk that segment again. I am now going on 71 years old. So, I plan to honor my wife's wishes and do the following:

My considered opinion and recommendation is to contact Express Bourricot (www.expressbourricot.com/) and arrange transportation from SJPdP to Crux Thibault (tea-bow). From there, it is a relatively easy walk across the Pyrenees and down into Roncesvalles.

You can still "start" your Camino at SJPdP - getting your first stamp there. The taxi or van ride is about 15 minutes. This saves about 10 km and 3.5 hours walking. You will arrive at Roncesvalles less tired and far earlier than otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I accompanied a small group on the first stages of the Camino last year, and we stayed at Gite Compostelle and used Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle.

I booked the shuttle a couple of months before the Camino.
Rather than pick up at Orisson they picked us up at the Virgin of Orisson, which is about an hour's walk (3.7 km) after Orisson. This divides the stage more evenly, and gives you a slightly shorter walk the next day. You can stop at Orisson for lunch, then continue on to the area of the Virgin statue - which you may not be able to see if it's a stormy day like we had last May. There is a parking area there.

View attachment 163159

It does seem that @wisepilgrim missed Gite Compostelle on the list.
I’m curious if one can get a taxi from Orisson or Virgin of Orisson and go to Roncesvalles? Or do they only return to SJPdP?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello!
Thanks for any help.

We walked all the way to Croix Thibault on our first day, about 17 kms. Then took the Express Bouricot Montain Shuttle ( https://www.expressbourricot.com/passengers-transport/ ) back to our accommodations for the night. The shuttle brought us back to the cross the next morning.

That also allowed us to walk to Burgette the next day (16 or 17 kms) and shorten the day 3 walk to Zubiri by 3 kms. Allowed us a easy transition into the walking/pilgrim life. No first week injuries!

Jim

Hello!
Thanks for any help.
I have stayed at gite compostella twice
and the owner cristofer picked us in from Pamplona and also picked people up from orrison.
Did you try Borda which is just past Orisson?

Buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We walked all the way to Croix Thibault on our first day, about 17 kms. Then took the Express Bouricot Montain Shuttle ( https://www.expressbourricot.com/passengers-transport/ ) back to our accommodations for the night. The shuttle brought us back to the cross the next morning.

That also allowed us to walk to Burgette the next day (16 or 17 kms) and shorten the day 3 walk to Zubiri by 3 kms. Allowed us a easy transition into the walking/pilgrim life. No first week injuries!

Jim
To clarify, from SJPdP to Roncesvalles is about 26 - 27 Km. IIRC, from SJPdP to Crux Thibault is about 10 km. From Crux Thibault to the big albergue at Roncesvalles is about 16 - 17 km.

Thus, once you are dropped off at the Cross, and leave the paved road, you have about four-hours walking, remaining to get to the albergue at Roncesvalles.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I’m curious if one can get a taxi from Orisson or Virgin of Orisson and go to Roncesvalles? Or do they only return to SJPdP?
I do not believe it can be done (2 countries if anything). I'd venture a guess that if it CAN be done - it will COST!!!!
Express Bourricott can take you as far as Croix Thibault (see @t2andreo s posts above). Never thought of it when I walked but must admit - not a bad option.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm pretty sure that you can get a taxi from Orisson to Roncesvalles.
One year a young pilgrim I met before Orisson had overdone it with cervezas the night before and took a taxi from Orisson.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To clarify, from SJPdP to Roncesvalles is about 26 - 27 Km. IIRC, from SJPdP to Crux Thibault is about 10 km. From Crux Thibault to the big albergue at Roncesvalles is about 16 - 17 km.

Thus, once you are dropped off at the Cross, and leave the paved road, you have about four-hours walking, remaining to get to the albergue at Roncesvalles.

Hope this helps.

Tom
I just doubled checked, since I posted from memory.

SJPdP to Croix Thiballt 14.9 Kms

Croix Thibault to Burgette 13.7 kms (Source Google maps walking directions via Napolean route.)

Both my Village to Vilage Camino Frances guide and Gronze roughly agree with these numbers, although neither has the Cross as a intermediate point. Both show Cole Bentarte, beyond the cross, as 16-17 kms. (Actually, the text in Village to Village has the Croix Thibault distance as 15.0 kms and the Col at 16.7 kms.)

At those distances, you could easily make Espinal on day two. Burgette was just fine for us.

My message is the same, you can taxi much further than Orrisson, and break up the first two standard stage, into three vary managable stages instead.

Jim

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Of course, the OP could just walk to Valcarlos. Spend the night in the comfortable and inexpensive Albergue. Grab a meal in any of several decent restaurants and relax into being on Camino. The following day they could have an easy walk to Roncesvalles, or further once their feet and legs and shoulders have gained a little experience. Riding around in taxis is more likely to challenge buttocks, and budgets, than walking muscles. And for why?

I so often feel like a missionary amongst the heathen here but I do not understand why the Valcarlos is seen as some sort of secondary route to be undertaken only when compelled by the authorities of Navarra.

It’s a beautiful route with some stunning scenery, tremendous views of the true Pyrenees (provided you remember to look behind you), ( and if you’re lucky with the weather), (oh, and where have we heard that before).

I could get into seriously raised eyebrows territory but I’ll not

I do not believe it can be done (2 countries if anything). I'd venture a guess that if it CAN be done - it will COST!!!!
Express Bourricott can take you as far as Croix Thibault (see @t2andreo s posts above). Never thought of it when I walked but must admit - not a bad option.
Actually you can taxi from Orisson to Roncevalles.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I walked the CF with my wife and we started our Camino in Roncesvalles. We over-nighted in SJPDP and took Express Bouricott across to Roncesvalles ( think they do (did) a regular luggage/pilgrim transfer to there. It was a good few years ago though so probably worth checking)

Yes you can taxi from Orisson to Roncevalles. I was involved in a conversation with a group at Orisson that was sending a gentleman to Roncevalles via taxi. The cost: 75EU
I was going to confirm what you and others have said: If, for whatever reason, one wishes to go from Orisson to Roncesvalles by taxi, there are no issues.

The only point to consider: If you have not made earlier arrangements and you phone from Orisson for a taxi you may have to wait a while, i.e. more than 15 minutes, until a taxi driver becomes available and can pick you up.

I estimated a cost of €80-100 so that was a good guess 😊. As there is no direct road for cars from Orisson to Roncesvalles, the taxi has to take the long way from Orisson through SJPP and Valcarlos.

Buen camino to @NJohn!

I was going to confirm what you and others have said: If, for whatever reason, one wishes to go from Orisson to Roncesvalles by taxi, there are no issues.

The only point to consider: If you have not made earlier arrangements and you phone from Orisson for a taxi you may have to wait a while, i.e. more than 15 minutes, until a taxi driver becomes available and can pick you up.

I estimated a cost of €80-100 so that was a good guess 😊. As there is no direct road for cars from Orisson to Roncesvalles, the taxi has to take the long way from Orisson through SJPP and Valcarlos.

Buen camino to @NJohn!
Thanks so much everyone for answering this question. This was truly a case of “asking for a friend”.😂 My next Camino in October will start in Astorga since I don’t have the amount of time needed for the full CF. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I estimated a cost of €80-100 so that was a good guess 😊.
I stand corrected as many Members confirmed the availability however as I thought - it WILL COST!
The only way to lighten that up if somewhat is to have more folks who wants to do the same.
Say its €80 and there are 2 more Pilgrims sign up on it - obviously it is €20/pp so will cost you & your daughter €40 and those other 2 pick up the rest

DANG! All the suffering I endured on that climb and i could've arrived to Roncesvalles "in style" .... but then I'd miss The Virgin, the food truck and my 30-min power nap at Col Lepoder 😁😇

There is a shuttle van - office a bit down the hill from the Pilgrims office, on the same side. in 2023 it was 11€ one way. I walked up to the Virgin statue (their standard stop as it’s closer to halfway - a bit further on than Orisson ) and got the shuttle back. Then got the shuttle to the Virgin statue again the next day and proceeded to Roncevalles.

Try to book in advance in case the seats get sold. I booked the night before.

I had been a bit unwell so it was very handy. The other option is to walk to Roncevalles in one day (see if you can have your bags transferred).

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello!
Thanks for any help.
We had the same problem and are now doing the Valcarlos route and staying in Valcarlos. I have done both routes but both are special. 1 May

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back